Start by marking “The Oz Chronicles: Volume 1” as Want to Read:
The Oz Chronicles: Volume 1

The Oz Chronicles: Volume 1

Included in this two-volume set are the following stories:

Volume 1

The Lost Princess of Oz,
The Tin Woodman of Oz,
The Magi
Hardcover, Borders Classics, 671 pages
Published November 28th 2003 by Borders Classics (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Oz Chronicles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Oz Chronicles

Hallie
Jan 03, 2010 Hallie rated it liked it
I think this collection would be better read spread out and not straight through. I think the individual stories would have set better with me if I had given them time to digest before heading on to the next story.

I really enjoyed the first story, "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz." It was so much better than the movie, not so saccharin and really fun story telling. I did get aggravated with the Scarecrow and Cowardly Lion's whining but understood it was needed to get the point of the story across, es
Shai Micaiah
Jan 28, 2008 Shai Micaiah rated it it was amazing
christmas present from myke.
Cheryl
Jul 20, 2014 Cheryl rated it really liked it
I really understand why these books appealed to the children of the era in which they were written. The characters are so imaginative and so visually unique--in a time when children weren't overexposed to tv, movies, video games. These books must have made their imaginations explode with the imagery!!

I also really enjoyed reading the author's note at the beginning of each story. How gratifying it must have been for him to receive all those letters from children giving him feedback and asking for
ROBB
Mar 03, 2008 ROBB rated it really liked it
This is the "Harry Potter" series of 100 years ago. This is the first several books of the OZ series written by L. Frank Baum. It begins with the original "the Wonderful Wizard of Oz" and proceeds through several of the other early novels. There is an "Oz Chronicles 2" with the remaining stories by Baum, but it wasn't listed on here (at least I couldn't find it - I am currently reading this book). And "Oz Chronicles 3" deals with other magical kingdoms surrounding Oz - I have bought it and will ...more
Kristin Intile
This book actually contains the first 7 books in the Oz series. I absolutely love this series. Baum was so incredibly imaginative and often times very funny. It's very child-like though good for adults too if you just want to read some fantasy fluff. I do find that I have to mix it up a little...read an Oz story and then a few grown up books. Reading a bunch in a row might turn your brain to mush. Mush sprinkled with pixie-dust, but mush nonetheless.
Krystal
Nov 14, 2010 Krystal rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, fantasy, classics
I did enjoy reading the original Oz tales (I had no idea there were so many!) though the are definitely geared toward a young audience. I'd recommend them for bedtimes stories for young children. Their imaginations will appreciate the nuttiness that happens throughout the story and will also enjoy the important roles children always play.
Bunmi
Jul 19, 2012 Bunmi rated it really liked it
I love the movie "Wizard of Oz" and happened to have a copy of "Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz" as a child. Reading the original tale, as well as many further adventures was a true delight.

Sometimes Dorothy and her friends are a bit ridiculous, but it IS a children's tale. And Baum does a good job of throwing in some puns and sarcasm for adults, too.
Kimberly
Oct 29, 2010 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
I've only read about half of the books. But all of them so far are very good!
Anjanette
Jul 12, 2014 Anjanette rated it it was ok
I think these might be better if they were read separately. it gets really tedious reading them all together like this.
Kerry
Feb 06, 2008 Kerry rated it it was amazing
L. Frank Baum has a great imagination! Awesome continuations of the Wizard of Oz!
Lindsey
Mar 03, 2008 Lindsey marked it as to-read
I don't think I've ever read the OZ series!
Nichole Davis
May 29, 2010 Nichole Davis rated it it was amazing
I had never read any of the books before. These stories are enchanting and gave me a glimpse into the social climate during the time of L. Frank Baum
Wendy
Jan 15, 2012 Wendy marked it as to-read
read the movie part of the oz stories in baum's original writing, but not sure if it was abridged and not sure of what number that one was. must look into....
Kati Boyce
Dec 27, 2013 Kati Boyce rated it liked it
What strange stories these are. Good, but I don't plan on reading them again.
Kristine
Sep 21, 2010 Kristine rated it it was amazing
The Oz Chronicles, and Alice's Adventure's In Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass are some of the best novels ever written.
CinnamonHopes
CinnamonHopes rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2011
Holly-thorn
Holly-thorn rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2011
Juniper
Juniper rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2013
Heather Graham
Heather Graham rated it it was ok
Apr 29, 2011
Amanda Krismer
Amanda Krismer rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Holly
Holly rated it liked it
May 20, 2015
LA
LA rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2011
Domi
Domi rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2008
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2008
Janet
Janet rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2017
Yvonne
Yvonne rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2012
Erry
Erry rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2015
Erzsabet
Erzsabet rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2016
Mary Green
Mary Green rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2015
Glenn Hopper
Glenn Hopper rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Real Wizard of Oz: The Life and Times of L. Frank Baum
  • The Wonderful Wizard of Oz: A Commemorative Pop-Up
  • Lewis Carroll's Diaries Volume 10 Complete Index
  • L. Frank Baum: Creator of Oz
  • Aunt Jane's Nieces (Aunt Jane's Nieces, #1)
  • The E.L. Konigsburg Collection
  • Ophelia's Shadow Theatre
  • Soft Come the Dragons / Dark of the Woods (Ace Double, 13793)
  • Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
  • Year's Best SF
  • The Emerald City of Oz
  • Mortal Friends
  • Innocents Aboard: New Fantasy Stories
  • Finding Oz: How L. Frank Baum Discovered the Great American Story
  • That Evening Sun
  • Triskell Tales 2: 6 More Years of Chapbooks
  • Le gentil petit diable et autres contes de la rue Broca
  • Into the Woods
also wrote under the name Edith Van Dyne, Floyd Akers

Lyman Frank Baum was an American author, actor, and independent filmmaker best known as the creator, along with illustrator W. W. Denslow, of one of the most popular books in American children's literature, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, better known today as simply The Wizard of Oz. He wrote thirteen sequels, nine other fantasy novels, and a pleth
More about L. Frank Baum...