Start by marking “Canto general” as Want to Read:
Canto general

Canto general

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  741 ratings  ·  30 reviews
The iCanto General/i, thought by many of Neruda's most prominent critics to be the poet's masterpiece, is the stunning epic of an entire continent and its people.
Published June 1st 2004 by Debolsillo (first published March 1st 199)

To ask other readers questions about Canto general, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Canto general

Mohamed Awada
If you read this book as the many books it actually is, you'll enjoy seeing American history (America as in the continents)and some world history through Neruda's splendid poetry. I can see why Borges made fun of the idea of Canto General in one of his short stories, and had the writer been anyone other than Neruda, Borges's criticism would apply in totality.
I find myself enriched in history after this book, learning about the many chapters of Las Americas that are hidden to most of us.
Calysto du Masque
Regrettably, I cannot read a word of Spanish... and yet still, even reading only translations of varying quality and fidelity, still Pablo Neruda touches my soul.

What more need be said? What more could be said? He was unquestionably the master of his era.

May this miserable Earth, though the eras pass by, never suffer the misfortune of losing Pablo Neruda's words to history.
isadora
Aunque esté totalmente politizado, sólo le da más fuerza a la visión de Neruda.
Aunque me haya parecido tedioso en ciertos pasajes, no se puede negar lo que de hecho dice y grita, y expresa a toda Sudamérica.
Nicolas A.
In my mind Pablo Neruda absolutely belongs in the pantheon of some of the greatest poets to ever live and write upon the earth. I have yet to come across a Neruda poem that does not contain at least one line that I didn't instantly vow to memorize. His is the beautiful originality that makes humanity seem so alive and free.

I now vow to finish reading this book because (1) I hope it helps me to understand my Chilean wife a little better, (2) I have a little girl who is half-Chilean, (3) we are le
Helene Pilibosian
This book of 408 pages is worth reading for its excellent world-class poetry. It is worth studying for the quality of the imagery and the drama of its narratives. However, it is written with a definite slant of South American resentment of not only the Spaniards who took over the countries early on, but also of the American companies that went into their lands and established factories and mines that helped the companies but undermined the people who worked for them. Evidently, there was some vi ...more
Alan Nunez
The history of a people, of a land, told in verse. Beautiful and aching, this is a master work by a master artist.
Thomas
In mijn lokale bibliotheek vond ik enkel deze versie (zevende zang) dus van Canto general de Chile. Vijftien delen, waarvan dit dus het zevende zal zijn zeker? Enige informatie hieromtrent ontbreekt, en deze kadering van de tektst, de afwezigheid hiervan, vind ik storend. In plaats van de volledige 600 pagina's kunnen we er hier maar een luttele 82 van lezen, die je dan nog eens door hun helft moet delen, want de ene helft is Spaans- en de andere Nederlandstalig. Een goeie 35 gedichten +- dus. O ...more
Brook Miscoski
Aug 03, 2007 Brook Miscoski rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: communists
Okay, so maybe not communists, even though Neruda definitely "looked to the left." This poetry collection is a "history" tracing the development of life itself and then up through events in America (ALL of America in many respects) up through Neruda's time.

For example, he eulogizes many pan-American heros, and a section of the work is called "Let the Woodcutter Awaken," which gets really powerful in this section:

Let none of this (referring to conflict and bloodshed) come to pass.
Let the Woodcutt
Tom Wouters
Schitterende bundel, net als zijn Ik ben. Communistisch, revolutionair, naturalistisch, maar zingend en krachtig, ooit prachtig op muziek gezet door Mikis Theodorakis. Echte aanrader.
Hugo Filipe
The guy knows how to write, that's clearly not the problem. The problem is that while he tries to be the best of Whitman, he kind of ends up being the worst of Ezra Pound, and half of the time I don't know who the hell are the people he writes about. The other half of the time, Neruda likes like a mother.
Maru
El poema épico de América, su gente y su historia.
Rolland
I struggled with how to rate this. It's powerful and passionate, but I tired of the dated political stridency.

Much of Canto General is achingly beautiful. I read some of it years ago while working and traveling in Chile, and I found myself nostalgically remembering the land and people I met during those special months of my life.
ماهر Battuti
I am lucky that I have the memorial edition of the year 1950, the giant book with 2 paintings of Rivera and Siquieros, and signed by the three.
The book is a monumental poetical epic that relates the roots of South America's history and people, in the genuine vision and beautiful poetry of the great Pablo Neruda.
Roberta
Neruda's hymn to Latin America, voluptuos, rich, fertile,full of history and deeply moving. An epic meant to be shared with an audience, not an intimate poem to muse upon. Read it aloud, preferably in Spanish, and you will feel all of it. "I am very large, I contain multitudes", Walt Whitman would say.
John Lovrich
Thought Leaves of Grass was good? Canto is the most visionary work of art, of any medium, that I have ever had the pleasure of encountering.

A lesson in history, geology, soul...

There are three periods in a poet's life: before canto, during canto, & after canto.

I liked during best.
this is a decent translation. More to the actual literal spirit of the poetry, I think. Other translations by other poets tend to change the imagery too much, in a way that often tampers with the poetry's political intents.
James
Dec 25, 2007 James rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Neruda's work is epic, accessible, powerful... I was speechless over and over again reading these poems.

Unbelievable. Whitman would shave his beard and roll in the grass reading Neruda.
Suan
This is an epic experience, and a milestone in defining the ever-elusive Latin American identity. Pablo Neruda chronicles the history of the continent with his organic yet magical verse.
h
jack schmitt's translation is truly incredible. it's always possible to quibble with individual choices, but as a whole, this captures a fluid english version of neruda's masterwork.
Olin
Sep 16, 2007 Olin rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all
Shelves: readagain
I love poetry and wrote some. If you want to see a beautiful and provoking poets, you must read this. Neruda also could live up your spirit on how to love your country better.
Kellyikrieves
An alternative to Whitman's American musings from the previous era. Neruda's fierce protection of his culture is inspiring.
Byron
Lost interest fairly quickly. I guess I don't have the fortitude for poems that go on and on for 20-30 pages.
Fusun Dulger charles
Amazing poetry that comes out right from the heart! Strongly recommend it to all poetry lovers.
Roy
A poetry history of Latin America. Neruda's singular achievement and for many his masterpiece.
Raul Pires
Pablo Neruda é o poeta! Canto General é o livro de poesia! Um dos meus livros de cabeceira.
Shaudee
Pretty awesome but a bit repetitive? And how much does Neruda like oats?!?!?!
Jorge
Ok, un poco hiperventilado, pretencioso, pero igualmente INCREIBLE
Washington Luis
El canto de poeta a sus amigos,poetas ,pueblo y otros temas
Kyle
not his best work, but definitely heartfelt during a tough period.
  • Poem of the Deep Song
  • Unfortunately, It Was Paradise: Selected Poems
  • Dark Fields of the Republic
  • El lugar sin límites
  • The President
Pablo Neruda was the pen name and, later, legal name of the Chilean writer and politician Neftalí Ricardo Reyes Basoalto. Neruda assumed his pen name as a teenager, partly because it was in vogue, partly to hide his poetry from his father, a rigid man who wanted his son to have a "practical" occupation. Neruda's pen name was derived from Czech writer and poet Jan Neruda; Pablo is thought to be fro ...more
More about Pablo Neruda...
Twenty Love Poems and a Song of Despair The Poetry of Pablo Neruda 100 Love Sonnets The Essential Neruda: Selected Poems The Captain's Verses (Los versos del capitan) (English and Spanish Edition)