Start by marking “Plague Of Frogs: Unraveling An Environmental Mystery” as Want to Read:
Plague Of Frogs: Unraveling An Environmental Mystery

Plague Of Frogs: Unraveling An Environmental Mystery

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  83 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
A Plague of Frogs is an ecological detective story, one that begins when a class of middle schoolers discovers an unusual number of deformed frogs in a pond on a southern Minnesota farm in 1995. William Souder spins a gripping tale of scientific investigation, environmental debate, and the frightening implications of what these deformed frogs mean for humanity.
Published December 4th 2002 by Univ Of Minnesota Press (first published March 15th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Plague Of Frogs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plague Of Frogs

Brent
May 27, 2012 Brent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A ribbiting account of human nature, egos, pet hypotheses, and how the scientific process really works. Great science thriller. Yes, that is a genre. In the same vein as The Hot Zone by Richard Preston.

I am still trying to find out where one of the sites in this book is. It should be in my neighborhood, but the author obviously changed just enough facts to protect the family that lives on this lake.
Jennifer Boyce
When I first picked up this book, I couldn't put it down. Then I got about 3/4 of the way through it, got bored, and set it down for a few months. As I'm out of books to read, I picked this one up again figuring I'd read a few more pages of it but discovered that I couldn't put it down again.

This story follows the mysteries of the Minnesota frog deformities. A Plague of Frogs analyzes all of the events leading up to the original discovery of the frogs and all of the research that went into tryi
Simone
Apr 24, 2012 Simone rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, finally done. As with many science stories it was a bit on the technical side, but gets tired of deformed frogs? This was intersting not only in regards to the mutagenesis problem but also a very good example of how science (meaning scientists) work. It was funny to read that the egos I experienced in the field are found everywhere! Everyone wants to be right. Not surprisingly, science is not that simple.
Sunny Bundy
I think I wasn't the target market for this book. I found it interesting, but the level of detail was way, way too much. I kept expecting all the seemingly needless detail to build to some gripping conclusion, but it didn't. For the most part, the mundane details weren't even scientific; they were about government beurocracy and academic's personalities and feuds. The book cold easily have been half as long and still told the same story in a more succinct and compelling way.
Kat
May 16, 2014 Kat rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The subject was interesting, but the book kind of meandered and never really came to any conclusions.
J.M.
Feb 19, 2013 J.M. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Interesting look at what appeared to be a sudden rise in deformities in frogs in the northern US and Canada in the mid-1990's. Learned more about frogs than I'd ever care to know! But it was well-written and informative, and held my interest to the end.
Andrea
Apr 07, 2015 Andrea rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: learning
I give up after trying to finish this for the last two months. it got to a place where it was all political nonsense and pride stopping progress and I just could not get motivated to plough through it all. sorry earth.
Annette
Interesting and cogent. Did not hold my interest as well as I would like. Good overview of the general debate.
Dec 11, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is very interesting to me, but you arent a nerdy scientist you probably wont care.
Loralee
Apr 07, 2008 Loralee marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Birthday present from Paul--I'm not sure if I'm really expected to read this.
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Brian Dahlvig
Brian Dahlvig marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Marcy
Marcy marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Camille Hall
Camille Hall marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2016
Carol R
Carol R rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Colin Smith
Colin Smith marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2016
Julie
Julie added it
Jan 13, 2016
Lori
Lori rated it it was amazing
Nov 07, 2015
Natasha
Natasha marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
Cecilia Marella
Cecilia Marella marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2015
Alliyie
Alliyie marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2015
B
B added it
Aug 25, 2015
Krista Schlyer
Krista Schlyer marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Luke Liu
Luke Liu marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
William Souder is the author of three books: "A Plague of Frogs," "Under a Wild Sky" (Pulitzer Finalist), and "On a Farther Shore: The Life and Legacy of Rachel Carson." He lives in Grant, Minnesota.
More about William Souder...