Start by marking “A Plague of Frogs: The Horrifying True Story” as Want to Read:
A Plague of Frogs: The Horrifying True Story

A Plague of Frogs: The Horrifying True Story

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  9 reviews
In the summer of 1995, a group of Minnesota children came upon a pond populated by frogs with nine legs, missing legs, a row of limbs fanning out from their backsides, and eyes in the wrong places. Since then, deformed frogs have been turning up in lakes around the world. Written by the only journalist granted access to secret hot spots where these deformed frogs are teste ...more
Published March 15th 2000 by Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about A Plague of Frogs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Plague of Frogs

Brent
A ribbiting account of human nature, egos, pet hypotheses, and how the scientific process really works. Great science thriller. Yes, that is a genre. In the same vein as The Hot Zone by Richard Preston.

I am still trying to find out where one of the sites in this book is. It should be in my neighborhood, but the author obviously changed just enough facts to protect the family that lives on this lake.
Jennifer Boyce
When I first picked up this book, I couldn't put it down. Then I got about 3/4 of the way through it, got bored, and set it down for a few months. As I'm out of books to read, I picked this one up again figuring I'd read a few more pages of it but discovered that I couldn't put it down again.

This story follows the mysteries of the Minnesota frog deformities. A Plague of Frogs analyzes all of the events leading up to the original discovery of the frogs and all of the research that went into tryi
Simone
Yes, finally done. As with many science stories it was a bit on the technical side, but gets tired of deformed frogs? This was intersting not only in regards to the mutagenesis problem but also a very good example of how science (meaning scientists) work. It was funny to read that the egos I experienced in the field are found everywhere! Everyone wants to be right. Not surprisingly, science is not that simple.
Sunny Bundy
I think I wasn't the target market for this book. I found it interesting, but the level of detail was way, way too much. I kept expecting all the seemingly needless detail to build to some gripping conclusion, but it didn't. For the most part, the mundane details weren't even scientific; they were about government beurocracy and academic's personalities and feuds. The book cold easily have been half as long and still told the same story in a more succinct and compelling way.
Kat
The subject was interesting, but the book kind of meandered and never really came to any conclusions.
J.M.
Interesting look at what appeared to be a sudden rise in deformities in frogs in the northern US and Canada in the mid-1990's. Learned more about frogs than I'd ever care to know! But it was well-written and informative, and held my interest to the end.
Annette
Interesting and cogent. Did not hold my interest as well as I would like. Good overview of the general debate.
This book is very interesting to me, but you arent a nerdy scientist you probably wont care.
Loralee
Apr 07, 2008 Loralee marked it as to-read
Birthday present from Paul--I'm not sure if I'm really expected to read this.
Vickie
Vickie marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
RobinR
RobinR marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Andrea
Andrea is currently reading it
Feb 13, 2015
Esha Bhatia
Esha Bhatia marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Leslie Chivers
Leslie Chivers marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Lee
Lee added it
Apr 27, 2014
Kim
Kim added it
Apr 25, 2014
Molly
Molly marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Tracey
Tracey marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
William Souder is the author of three books: "A Plague of Frogs," "Under a Wild Sky" (Pulitzer Finalist), and "On a Farther Shore: The Life and Legacy of Rachel Carson." He lives in Grant, Minnesota.
More about William Souder...
On a Farther Shore: The Life and Legacy of Rachel Carson, Author of Silent Spring Under a Wild Sky: John James Audubon and the Making of The Birds of America Under a Wild Sky: John James Audubon and the Making of the Birds of America