Start by marking “SPIN Selling: Situation Problem Implication Need-payoff” as Want to Read:
SPIN Selling: Situation Problem Implication Need-payoff

SPIN Selling: Situation Problem Implication Need-payoff

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  6,014 Ratings  ·  167 Reviews
What makes success in major sales? How do some salespeople consistently outsell their competition? Why do techniques like closing work in small sales but fail in larger ones? How can salespeople dramatically increase their sales volume from major accounts?Now you can find answers to all these questions with the SPIN strategy.
Published May 22nd 1988 by McGraw-Hill Companies (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about SPIN Selling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about SPIN Selling

Sean Gibson
Feb 03, 2017 Sean Gibson rated it really liked it
There were a lot of awesome discoveries in the 80s, including, but not limited to, Big League Chew, the fact that long-haired men wrenching out soul-baring metal guitar solos would lead to multiplatinum album sales and the removal of countless bras so that they could be flung onstage, and the revelation that the process of selling majorly expensive goods or services was different from the process of selling, say, a PEZ dispenser.

It is the concluding item on the aforementioned list that is, unfo
Leonidas Kaplan
Oct 11, 2012 Leonidas Kaplan rated it it was amazing
One of the most intuitive books on the market for selling. SPIN Selling explains the science behind consultative selling, or rather, presenting an offer to a potential client, based systematically on the clients pain-points, using a powerful questioning process.

The subtitle of the book describes quite well what’s inside; “The Best-Validated Sales Method Available Today. Developed From Research Studies Of 35,000 Sales Calls. Used By The Top Sales Forces Across The World.”.

If that isn’t enough, co
SJ Loria
Jan 01, 2013 SJ Loria rated it liked it
This is not going to be a normal review, these will be more of my notes to remember what I just read and become increasingly familiar with a new lexicon / jargon that is business speak.
One quick annoyance, one quick whoa cool moment, then bullet points. This book costs $30 and you are done reading it in an hour. Why are business books so expensive and yet written at about a 3rd grade reading level?
First though one thing I found rather interesting in reading this book is that it emphasizes the ri
Jenny
Nov 06, 2011 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Whether you like it or not, all business involves sales in some capacity. Written in 1988, Rackham describes his findings from observing 35,000 sales calls over a period of 12 years. He outlines the sales format that most often led to long-term success (Situation --> Problem --> Implication --> Need-Payoff). The recommendations are authentic, powerful and helpful; this book is a must-read for anyone in business!
Tony
Jun 10, 2011 Tony rated it really liked it
The first thing you have to realize about “SPIN Selling” by Neil Rackham is that it’s a book for selling to large accounts, written before anybody else was writing books about selling to large accounts. Yes Virginia, selling to large accounts is different than selling to smaller ones. To begin with, you cannot close the sale in one day, as a result opening the discussion by trying to closing technique is counterproductive.

Besides, in major sales, the salespeople usually are not in the room when
Bill Sutton
Jan 01, 2014 Bill Sutton rated it it was amazing
Since I'm in the process of developing a new technology based company, this book provided excellent advice and strategies for selling my type of product. Thanks to Rick Larson and Joe Liblin for recommending it to me.
Ilona
Jan 28, 2017 Ilona rated it did not like it
It was such a drag to read this book that I am surprised that it only took me 2 months (including skimming through the last chapter cuz omg).
This could be easily summarized into an A4 article and loose none of the insights.

It took 100 pages to make an introduction to how cool they are. Only then they start talking about SPIN. Spin is asking different questions instead of only situational questions. Here it is.

The key takeaway so far is that the sale can be short term (a chocolate bar for 2 eur)
Gregory
Sep 03, 2008 Gregory rated it it was amazing
Aside form The Book Of Mormon, This book has had perhaps the greatest impact on my career and my role as a father.
Definitely on my personal list of classics...
This book was first recommended to me by a colleague by the name of Matt Fowler.
As a side note, Matt's decision to hire me was one of the most significant career events of my life.
This is by far the best book I have ever read on question based problem solving.
If you read this book, you will probably want to purchase the SPIN Selling Field
Andrew K.
Jun 16, 2012 Andrew K. rated it really liked it
Yes, this is a sales book. But it is a sales book about not being a creepy salesman. The basic jist is that small sales involve shysterism -- and give salespeople a bad name.

Consider what it used to be like to buy a TV at Circuit City, where the salespeople operated on commission -- high-pressure, low enjoyment.

But then there is the whole category of large sales, such as selling a large IT system or consulting engagement -- where the “salesperson” is going to meet with the customer many times
Chung Chin
Dec 12, 2012 Chung Chin rated it it was amazing
For people who are keen to improve their skills in selling, this is one book that I will highly recommend. This is because, the content of the book comes from comprehensive research by the author's company. And like all wise researchers, the author advises the reader to take some of his pointers with a pinch of salt, because he is not able to say conclusively "This is it! Follow this and you'll sell". Rather, he tells you that "This is what we found and PROBABLY will be helpful, but because we c ...more
Wesley Wade
May 21, 2014 Wesley Wade rated it it was amazing
We are all in sales to some degree, and this book can help you when it comes time to communicate a big idea, yourself during an interview, and of course an actual sales meeting. For over eight years I was in B2B sales, and this book was the bible for my profession. Rackham doesn't just give the typical superlative-driven mantras about your winning tone and demeanor, he gives an empirically-based study on large dollar sales. As the reader, you will walk away with a process, a framework for questi ...more
Daria
Jul 12, 2016 Daria rated it it was amazing
This is truly the *only* sales book out there that relies on actual data and methods that are scientifically valid. We got everyone in the company a copy of this book. It’s also the only book that I go back to daily since I read it.

Very well written and impressively well researched. I found most non-fiction books lacking in structure, but SS is organized in a very logical and easy to follow way. It’s nothing but a testament to Rackham’s strengths as a thinker and a researcher.
Trent
May 04, 2008 Trent rated it did not like it
Do yourself a favor and trade it in for The Solution Selling Fieldbook.

This process is disengenuous and antiquated and people now see through it.
Sean Harry
Jun 14, 2014 Sean Harry rated it it was amazing
I recommend this book frequently! I love the methodology he uses for asking questions that keep going deeper. This is a great method for selling anything -- including your own skills and abilities!
Chiara
Mar 06, 2014 Chiara rated it it was amazing
amazing. i hear it's one of few that's backed by research and numbers instead of just anecdotes. learn this and you're set to sell.
Федор Кривов
Dec 05, 2016 Федор Кривов rated it it was amazing
Отличная книга от предпринимателя и исследователя в одном лице.
Развенчиваются многие мифы в продажах, есть система, которую можно успешно применять для B2B :)
Jina
May 27, 2014 Jina rated it really liked it
Shelves: sales
This is the first sales book (not that I've read many) that I didn't want to throw across the room. Rackham's main advice boils down to, "Don't be a jerk." Why does this warrant a book? It runs counter to the training given to salespeople in large companies. For instance, Rackham found that using closing techniques a la the "Always Be Closing" mantra from "Glengarry Glen Ross" actually reduces sales when selling a high-priced item or service. It works for small-amount sales basically because the ...more
Shashwat Singh
Sep 10, 2015 Shashwat Singh rated it it was amazing
If you are in a business where you sell anything that's a high value or complex sale(i.e something that is of a significant price and typically requires multiple meetings to sell), then you have to absolutely read this book.

The first distinction is that small sales and complex sales are very different. Many sales book are written with smaller sales in mind. What works when you're selling a 100$ product is completely different than what works when you're selling a 10,000$ or 100,000$ product. Thi
Robert
May 16, 2013 Robert rated it it was amazing
Neil Rackham’s classic book, SPIN Selling, is a sales how-to book. By closely examining over 35,000 sales calls, he shows a correlation between asking questions and the successful sale. He calls the model S.P.I.N. This acronym represents four different types of questions: Situational Questions (i.e. "How old is this unit?"), Problem Questions (i.e. "Is your machine hard to use?"), Implication Questions (i.e. "Could that lead to increased costs?"), and Need-payoff Questions (i.e. "Why is it impor ...more
Thomas
Mar 30, 2010 Thomas rated it it was amazing
excellent introduction to the science and art of selling. for those of you (like myself) who career seemingly has NOTHING AT ALL to do with the art of the sell, and/or whose exposure to salesmen are limited to cars, or stores in the mall, or phone solicitors, or the guys in the movie Glengarry Glen Ross, this book will come as a welcome surprise.
Bear Mills
Mar 09, 2014 Bear Mills rated it it was amazing
Explains the difference between large and small sales approaches and how using the wrong one can be self- sabatoge. Easy, quick read that stays with you in very practical ways.
Dave Voyles
Aug 03, 2016 Dave Voyles rated it it was amazing
"Learn to sell. In business you’re always selling – to your prospects, investors and employees. To be the best salesperson put yourself in the shoes of the person to whom you’re selling. Don’t sell your product. Solve their problems." - Mark Cuban

With this in mind, I wanted to improve my ability to sell. In my role as a Tech Evangelist, I don't actually have anything to sell in exchange for currency, but instead, I am always selling my brand. I came across Neil Rackham's 1988 book, SPIN Selling,
Dmitry Kuriakov
Feb 11, 2015 Dmitry Kuriakov rated it it was amazing
Я скептически отношусь к ярлыкам типа «Книга номер один по бизнесу» или как сказано на обложки книги - «Книга №1 по большим продажам». Эти уловки маркетологов меня совершенно не трогают. Однако когда имя автора я стал встречать всё чаще и чаще в другой бизнес-литературе, то я пересмотрел своё первоначальное мнение о нём. Всё же, одно дело, когда ты на свою книгу ставишь штамп «Лучшая книга» и совсем другое, когда тебя упоминают другие авторы. Конечно, Рекхэма упоминают не настолько часто как тог ...more
Chad Warner
Apr 02, 2016 Chad Warner rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: salespeople
Recommended to Chad by: Brent Weaver
An enlightening approach to large sales that require multiple interactions. Success in such sales requires a different methodology than small sales that usually take one interaction. In a large sale, you must build the customer's perceived value of your solution, and the most effective way of doing that is to ask the right questions.

The book is based on 10 years of observing and analyzing over 35,000 sales transactions. As the author explains, "We've put thousands of sales calls under the micros
Omar Halabieh
Mar 12, 2013 Omar Halabieh rated it really liked it
The main premise of this book is best summarized by the author in the first chapter of the book: "The traditional selling models, methods, and techniques that most of us have been trained to use work best in small sales. In this book I'll be showing you that what works in small sales can hurt your success as the sales grow larger—and I'll be sharing with you our research findings that have uncovered new and better models for success in large sales...One of the simplest models of a sales call doe ...more
Kamil Chmielewski
Dec 22, 2016 Kamil Chmielewski rated it really liked it
SPIN Selling - A book on closing large sales. Large sales don't use the same tactics that small sales do. This book talks about Situation, Problem, Implication, and Need-Payoff questions, and how these can help you close more large sales and small sales.
John
Feb 23, 2017 John rated it really liked it
Rackham provides a systematic questioning approach to discovering customer needs.
Ryan Hayes
Dec 30, 2016 Ryan Hayes rated it liked it
Speedread this title to inventory its ideas. Come back and review.
Alex Liannoy
Oct 14, 2016 Alex Liannoy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paperback
Неплохая книга, но ее содержимое можно уместить в 50 страниц. В остальном текст выглядит как реклама Huthwaite
Al Zoubi
Dec 29, 2016 Al Zoubi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: real-estate
What an amazing book for anyone who wants to excel in the world of sales! I have been reading a quite few books about sales to improve my skills but SPIN is definitely a unique one especially when it comes to large account sales.
  • Learning from the Future: Competitive Foresight Scenarios
  • Making Sense of Behavior: The Meaning of Control
  • Re-Create Your Life
  • Bankable Business Plans
  • Value-Based Fees: How to Charge - and Get - What You're Worth (The Ultimate Consultant Series)
  • Turning Numbers into Knowledge: Mastering the Art of Problem Solving
  • Numbers Guide: The Essentials of Business Numeracy
  • The Sales Bible: The Ultimate Sales Resource
  • Ultimate Sales Machine
  • The 1% Windfall: How Successful Companies Use Price to Profit and Grow
  • The Path of Least Resistance for Managers
  • 3-D Negotiation: Powerful Tools to Change the Game in Your Most Important Deals
  • It's Not About the Money: Unlock Your Money Type to Achieve Spiritual and Financial Abundance
  • Marketing Metrics: 50+ Metrics Every Executive Should Master
  • Fail-Safe Investing: Lifelong Financial Security in 30 Minutes
Author of the Spin Selling. Find out more about Spin Selling at http://www.huthwaite.co.uk/training-s...
More about Neil Rackham...