Start by marking “Not Quite White: White Trash and the Boundaries of Whiteness” as Want to Read:
Not Quite White: White Trash and the Boundaries of Whiteness

Not Quite White: White Trash and the Boundaries of Whiteness

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  8 reviews
White trash. The phrase conjures up images of dirty rural folk who are poor, ignorant, violent, and incestuous. But where did this stigmatizing phrase come from? And why do these stereotypes persist? Matt Wray answers these and other questions by delving into the long history behind this term of abuse and others like it. Ranging from the early 1700s to the early 1900s, Not ...more
Published November 3rd 2006 by Duke University Press Books (first published October 13th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Not Quite White, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not Quite White

Cheryl Klein
As anyone who's guiltily (or shamelessly) watched Honey Boo Boo knows, our nation's obsession with "white trash" culture is in full swing--"they" are people to be entertained by and feel better than, and for some reason it's accepted in a way a minstrel show would not be. Matt Wray's well written blend of history, sociology and cultural criticism takes us back to colonial times and up through the early twentieth century to show us how we got there.

Anyone who doubts the worthiness of "white stud
Lisa
I read Annalee Newitz and Wray's book "White Trash: Race and Class in America" as part of an independent study on representations of working-class whites and their experiences in higher education during the Winter Term of my junior year of college, and I used this book in a class I taught on John Waters, during which I also discussed the roles of shock value and the cult film - but which could also be seen as a class on representations of the grotesque and the body as they relate to gender, sexu ...more
David Ward
Not Quite White: White Trash and the Boundaries of Whiteness by Matt Wray (Duke University Press 2006)(E184.A1W83) is a treatise about the societal place of landless white peasants in the South before and after the Civil War. Most of the behaviors attributed to "poor white trash" were, according to the author, attributable to hookworm, which is associated with eating dirt and spending much time close to the soil. Who knew? My rating: 4/10, finished 9/9/11.
Marlin
super quick read, very well organized, and fascinating subject. The study separates the history of the term white trash into four chapters starting in the late 17th century and ending in the 1930's. I would've liked to have seen Wray's input on what is considered "white trash" today (really a whole chapter on honey boo boo alone would've been phenomenal) but his research leading up to the present is top notch.
Jonny Gerig Meyer
An impressive multidisciplinary look at the history of the term "white trash" and other boundary terms. A must-read for those interested in Boundary Theory, or Critical Whiteness Studies.
Elizabeth Bradley
Finding this diappointing so far. Lots and lots of inter-disciplinary lingo, methinks the author doth protest too much...
Precious
Scholarly analysis of whiteness and the poor and working classes. Interesting and unusual approach to race studies.
Blackbook
May 12, 2012 Blackbook added it
Shelves: 2012
Took me forever to finish.
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Jbondandrews
Jbondandrews marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Deborah Shaw
Deborah Shaw marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
I
I added it
Jan 11, 2015
Adriel Rose
Adriel Rose marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Roy
Roy is currently reading it
Jan 05, 2015
Wujing1130
Wujing1130 marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Lara
Lara marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Lisa Lynn
Lisa Lynn marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Alex Biggers
Alex Biggers marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Tyler Borchers
Tyler Borchers marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Taylor Dunbar
Taylor Dunbar marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
  • The White Man's Burden: Historical Origins of Racism in the United States
  • Whiteness of a Different Color: European Immigrants and the Alchemy of Race
  • White Privilege: Essential Readings on the Other Side of Racism
  • Making the Second Ghetto: Race and Housing in Chicago 1940-1960
  • The Condemnation of Blackness: Race, Crime, and the Making of Modern Urban America
  • Color of Violence: The INCITE! Anthology
  • Family Properties: Race, Real Estate, and the Exploitation of Black Urban America
White Trash: Race and Class in America Cultural Sociology: An Introductory Reader The Making and Unmaking of Whiteness Sweatshop