Not Quite White: White Trash and the Boundaries of Whiteness

Not Quite White: White Trash and the Boundaries of Whiteness

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  8 reviews
White trash. The phrase conjures up images of dirty rural folk who are poor, ignorant, violent, and incestuous. But where did this stigmatizing phrase come from? And why do these stereotypes persist? Matt Wray answers these and other questions by delving into the long history behind this term of abuse and others like it. Ranging from the early 1700s to the early 1900s, Not...more
Published November 3rd 2006 by Duke University Press Books (first published October 13th 2006)

Cheryl Klein
As anyone who's guiltily (or shamelessly) watched Honey Boo Boo knows, our nation's obsession with "white trash" culture is in full swing--"they" are people to be entertained by and feel better than, and for some reason it's accepted in a way a minstrel show would not be. Matt Wray's well written blend of history, sociology and cultural criticism takes us back to colonial times and up through the early twentieth century to show us how we got there.

Anyone who doubts the worthiness of "white stud...more
Lisa
I read Annalee Newitz and Wray's book "White Trash: Race and Class in America" as part of an independent study on representations of working-class whites and their experiences in higher education during the Winter Term of my junior year of college, and I used this book in a class I taught on John Waters, during which I also discussed the roles of shock value and the cult film - but which could also be seen as a class on representations of the grotesque and the body as they relate to gender, sexu...more
David Ward
Not Quite White: White Trash and the Boundaries of Whiteness by Matt Wray (Duke University Press 2006)(E184.A1W83) is a treatise about the societal place of landless white peasants in the South before and after the Civil War. Most of the behaviors attributed to "poor white trash" were, according to the author, attributable to hookworm, which is associated with eating dirt and spending much time close to the soil. Who knew? 4/10, finished 9/9/11.
Marlin
super quick read, very well organized, and fascinating subject. The study separates the history of the term white trash into four chapters starting in the late 17th century and ending in the 1930's. I would've liked to have seen Wray's input on what is considered "white trash" today (really a whole chapter on honey boo boo alone would've been phenomenal) but his research leading up to the present is top notch.
Jonny Gerig Meyer
An impressive multidisciplinary look at the history of the term "white trash" and other boundary terms. A must-read for those interested in Boundary Theory, or Critical Whiteness Studies.
Elizabeth Bradley
Finding this diappointing so far. Lots and lots of inter-disciplinary lingo, methinks the author doth protest too much...
Precious
Scholarly analysis of whiteness and the poor and working classes. Interesting and unusual approach to race studies.
Blackbook
May 12, 2012 Blackbook added it
Shelves: 2012
Took me forever to finish.
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Brian Goard
Brian Goard marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Hailey
Hailey marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Jessica Vallejo
Jessica Vallejo marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
Rooster-feather
Rooster-feather marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2014
Chevelle Francis
Chevelle Francis marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2014
Charly
Charly marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2013
Clayborn
Clayborn marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2013
Anita Dalton
Anita Dalton marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2013
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
White Trash: Race and Class in America Cultural Sociology: An Introductory Reader The Making and Unmaking of Whiteness