Start by marking “It's Your Call: What Are You Doing Here?” as Want to Read:
It's Your Call: What Are You Doing Here?

It's Your Call: What Are You Doing Here?

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  117 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Discover God’s calling for your life ...

Few spiritual concepts have fascinated and confused people more than understanding God’s calling for their life. Is it primarily about a job or a role? It is precise or general? Is a calling only reserved for those who work in professional ministry?

The truth is actually amazingly profound: What we are supposed to do is what we most w
Published October 1st 2010 by David C. Cook

To ask other readers questions about It's Your Call, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Your Call

Samuel
Jul 01, 2012 Samuel rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for anyone wanting to understand themselves and their calling in (and to) the world.

I have read no better book on Calling.
Jan 03, 2011 Laura rated it liked it
What are you doing here? Author Gary Barkalow wants to help you find your calling in his new book It's Your Call. While he might not be able to talk to you personally, by the time you're through reading his book, I believe you'll have a pretty good idea of why you are here and what your purpose is in this life. However, some of the wording might set your spidey sense on tingling.

Sharing his own story of finding his call, Barkalow takes the reader through scripture and his insights on how he came
Clockstein Lockstein
Dec 31, 2010 Clockstein Lockstein rated it it was amazing

It's Your Call by Gary Barkalow is the perfect antidote to every personality test and guide you've ever read. Barkalow writes about his personal quest to determine his calling from God and in the course of this book helps reader to shed the traditional views of a calling. I was thoroughly stunned by this incredibly thoughtful and thought-provoking guide to help readers figure out their purpose in life. I kept a pen and notebook by my side while reading this book. It's filled with so many motivat
christianchicklit
Sep 29, 2013 christianchicklit rated it liked it
In a past USA Today survey, they asked people “What would you ask God or some other supreme being if you could ask a question?”. The #1 answer in this survey was “What is my purpose in life?”. The author mentions that it never tells us that information specifically in the Bible, but it does say that God “will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go” (Psalm 32:8) and that He “is producing in you both the desire and the ability to do what pleases him” (Phil 2:13).

The book can be summar
Ailene
May 24, 2015 Ailene rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Christian books and pun-ny titles. Seriously gotta stop that.

Other than the title, this is a gem of a book about calling and walking God's way, what our glory looks like, God and mysteries, etc, etc. I highly recommend it. Prepare to quote everything.
Kim Richter-gibas
Feb 13, 2014 Kim Richter-gibas rated it really liked it
It took me a while to absorb this book, but there was so much to chew on! Gary candidly shares his own journey to understand what a calling is and reveals an unexpected angle I had never heard from the pulpit. Very real, practical and thought-provoking.
Tom
Jul 08, 2014 Tom rated it really liked it
I am evaluating my life and ministry to see if there is still something else that God wants me to do because of this book. It has helped put the past in perspective and awakened me to the potential of the future.
David
Dec 31, 2014 David rated it it was amazing
A great book to help determine God's call on one's life. In reading it I discovered that what I had thought was my call for many years really wasn't. Instead, it was one of the ways my real calling was being expressed. The author holds that God uniquely gives each person a calling that is best expressed in his passions, desires, and gifts, one that shines forth in splendor as we proclaim the glory of God through our lives. I also found the section on overcoming the things that have a tendency to ...more
Yoma
Dec 17, 2014 Yoma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Motivational

Everyone thinks about the pursuit of the personal purpose in life. This book will guide you to identify your deepest feelings and desires, in order to find your true purpose. I like the most the way that the author describes his own experience because you can identify yourself with his feelings, frustrations, fears, but at the same time with his small victories. For me was very helpful.
CCSemick
Dec 11, 2013 CCSemick rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Gary approaches the topic of God's calling on our lives from an angle I had never heard from the pulpit or in any book I've read on this mystifying topic. While some may balk at his use of the word 'glory' in reference to humans, I encourage anyone who picks up this book to read the whole book. Gary clearly states biblical references for human glory and uses both personal and public examples to build his premise. After reading this book, I felt encouraged and embolden to pursu ...more
Samuel Ng
Dec 15, 2014 Samuel Ng rated it really liked it
Some practical advices to seek direction for vocation, call or work.
Susan Smith
Nov 17, 2014 Susan Smith rated it it was ok
~meh~ After seeing all the positive reviews, maybe I need to read it again.
Noah W
Jul 21, 2013 Noah W rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
If you like John Eldredge's Wild at Heart, you will probably enjoy this book as well. I fall more in line line with Steve Farrar's approach understanding life purpose in How to Ruin Your Life by 40 (Or "30," depending on the edition).

Barkalow worked for Eldredge so that explains the author's approach.
Alicia
Jan 03, 2014 Alicia rated it it was amazing
Very useful. Love the authors personal struggles with Learning to find his calling
Nick Holbrow
Oct 03, 2012 Nick Holbrow rated it it was amazing
Subtle book that suggests profound change, all my life in church calling has revolved around programmes and ministry but calling is who i am, and everything i do is just an opportunity to show that.
Johnny Leckie
Nov 09, 2010 Johnny Leckie rated it really liked it
Nick
Oct 01, 2013 Nick rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book and the author's perspective on Calling. Great read!
Mary Ellen
Apr 30, 2012 Mary Ellen rated it it was amazing
Currently reading and re-reading. WOW. I needed this!
Liz Marko
Liz Marko marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
L
L marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Shon R Scott
Shon R Scott rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2016
PickyReader
PickyReader marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Zared Martorana
Zared Martorana marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Menuka Warushavithana
Menuka Warushavithana marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Nicole Pramik
Nicole Pramik marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Joy Jensen
Joy Jensen marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
  • Seeing through the Fog: Hope When Your World Falls Apart
  • Hell Is Real (But I Hate to Admit It)
  • Church Zero: Raising 1st Century Churches out of the Ashes of the 21st Century Church
  • The Meeting of the Waters: 7 Global Currents That Will Propel the Future Church
  • The Juggling Act: Bringing Balance to Your Faith, Family, and Work
  • Do You See What I See?: Exploring the Christmas of Every Day
  • Sifted: God's Scandalous Response to Satan's Outrageous Demand
  • Better: How Jesus Satisfies the Search for Meaning
  • Be Committed (Ruth & Esther): Doing God's Will Whatever the Cost (The BE Series Commentary)
  • Replant: How a Dying Church Can Grow Again
  • Fight: A Christian Case for Non-Violence
  • True Courage: Emboldened by God in a Disheartening World
  • CrossTalk: Where Life & Scripture Meet
  • The Power of Suffering: Strengthening Your Faith in the Refiner's Fire (Macarthur Study Series)
  • Building Up One Another
  • When God Breaks Your Heart: Choosing Hope in the Midst of Faith-Shattering Circumstances
  • Mirror Ball: Living Boldly and Shining Brightly for the Glory of God
  • That's a Great Question: What to Say When Your Faith Is Questioned

“We can all see God in exceptional things, but it requires the culture of spiritual discipline to see God in every detail. Never allow that the haphazard is anything less than God’s appointed order, and be ready to discover the Divine designs anywhere.”10” 0 likes
“Make a careful exploration of who you are and the work you have been given, and then sink yourself into that. Don’t be impressed with yourself. Don’t compare yourself with others. Each of you must take responsibility for doing the creative best you can with your own life. (Gal. 6:4–5 MSG)” 0 likes