Start by marking “The Dutiful Rake (Harlequin Historical)” as Want to Read:
The Dutiful Rake (Harlequin Historical)

The Dutiful Rake (Harlequin Historical)

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  429 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
The Rake’s Redemption

The Earl of Rutherford was used to flirting with scandal. But when an act of charity placed his charge’s spotless reputation in jeopardy. Marcus knew he must do the honourable thing. There was no point pretending he was in love. So in return for Miss Marguerite Fellowes’s discretion and children, the earl offered his name and protection.

Then Marcus wat
Published September 17th 2009 by Harlequin Historical (first published July 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Dutiful Rake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dutiful Rake

Ridley
In many ways a standard "Earl of Slut reformed by virtuous country mouse," I nevertheless enjoyed how Rolls played with the concept of public and private in this book.

Meg and Marc are different people than Lord and Lady Rutherford, and in writing out both their public and private characters I felt I got an especially deep view of who these people were. Their dual natures explained their many misunderstandings and kept them from growing tedious, though I certainly still enjoyed Marc's apologies
Jess the Romanceaholic
Jhenn
Dec 24, 2012 Jhenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 STARS

The Dutiful Rake wasn't nearly as predictable as I thought it would be and I loved the heroine, though many of the misunderstandings would have been cleared by simply talking to her husband. The secondary characters, particularly Lady Di, her husband and Jack, add dimension to the story. They embrace Meg, the heroine, in spite of the 10 year old scandal surrounding her family. It was a nice break from a few of the other historical romances I've read with a similar story line in which th
Flavia Sugnu
This is the second book I've read by Elizabeth and I'm neither disappointed or ecstatic. IMO, this book and another of her own, His Lady Mistress, do have some similarities, I do think that Meg from this book was a stronger character than Verity from the other ( they both have a similar upbringing though Meg's did seem a little less harsh), however the use of misunderstandings was used heavily in both books as was the male leads' fondness for second guessing his wife.
I do like these novels, in
Yackie
2.5 Stars

This book was just okay. I was annoyed by the main characters. I don't usually mind the "misunderstandings" storyline but found myself annoyed in this one. They were just stupid. I found the whole Marc/Lord Rutherford, Meg/Lady Rutherford annoying as well. And I cringed every time Marc called Meg "little one." She wasn't a small woman so that, to me, was in reference to her age. And calling your wife "little one" while in bed is just creepy. Thank goodness it wasn't said often.

I found
Debi Samuels
SPOILER Not the best written book in the world. The plot is confusing, they seem to spend the entire book arguing with a hasty reconciliation at the end. For such an evil "bad guy" blaise ends up as a let down, if the kidnapping had been longer, maybe letting them get away first a good chase would have improved it. The characters are very underdeveloped. marc swings so wildly I would expect him to be diagnosed with some form of bipolar. generally this book was an overall meh.
Jasey
Feb 03, 2012 Jasey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cherie
May 26, 2013 Cherie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
I really enjoyed this book. Marcus is a strong, handsome rake who fears love because he fears losing it. His mother and father had a loving relationship and wanted more children and she died in childbirth. Crazy I know, but he fears losing love so much he avoids it altogether and denies his desire to be loved also.

Meg is so innocent and sincere one might think she'd be boring but she is quite the opposite. Instead she is refreshing. Because of her ignorance and his fear they spend quite a few pa
Elaine
Jul 29, 2014 Elaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More of a 3.5*. Liked the book for the most part, but felt like there was too much drama. Will have to read more by this author, as this was the first I read. Need to see how I feel about the next one I read.
Jul 30, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nicely written, traditional Regency (with a little married passion to spice it up). Likable characters, plausible motivations and a nasty villain or two just to keep things moving.
Michelle
Jan 25, 2015 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this book about Meg and Marc. Their interaction was wonderful, and the way that she wrote Meg, I really felt her feelings of rejection. WONDERFUL!
Carrie
3.5/5
I really enjoyed the first half, but shortly after they got to London I got frustrated with everyone. I liked Jack much better in this book than his own story.
Caitlyn
Standard Regency fare. An earlier work from Elizabeth Rolls. I enjoyed it. There was a lot of head-hopping which normally would have been the death knell of a book for me, but I did continue to read. Heroine is strong and self-reliant, yet needy. Hero is duty-bond to keep her from scandal and then finds himself in love. Miscommunication keeps them apart, but their hearts stay true.
Alisa
Sep 22, 2011 Alisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book better than some others I've read. I knew the ending was coming but the way she wrote it it wasn't predictable. Nice epilogue. Didn't feel like the story just ended. Two very stubborn characters.
Diana
Halfway through, I found myself yelling at the characters for all The Big Assumptions they're making. Would've saved a lot if trouble if they had just, oh, I don't know... talked?
Luz Adriana
May 23, 2010 Luz Adriana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ive discovered a new author and determined to read all her books. They are very well written and the storyline are all about romance.
Robin
Jan 15, 2011 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a cheap book on Kindle and I needed something to occupy my time. It wasn't a great book but it was a good romance that I did enjoy.
Kimngan Tran
Overall I like it, but if I add all the part that I hate about it, then I would say that I think it was an ok book.
Diana
Sep 10, 2010 Diana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
2.5. The middle was so annoying I almost stopped reading.
Rie_dominique
stupid couple!
Victoria
Victoria is currently reading it
May 01, 2016
Colleen Grice
Colleen Grice rated it it was ok
Apr 28, 2016
Mina Patricia Grant
Mina Patricia Grant marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Franziska
Franziska marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Jean
Jean marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Anamarcel Neri
Anamarcel Neri rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2016
Shanel
Shanel marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Audrey
Audrey added it
Apr 16, 2016
Laura rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2016
  • Miss Winthorpe's Elopement (Belston & Friends #1)
  • The Shy Duchess
  • The Penniless Bride (Harlequin Historical #725)
  • The Earl's Untouched Bride
  • A Gentleman of Substance
  • Anne's Perfect Husband (Sinclair Bride, #2)
  • The Dissolute Duke (Wellinghams, #4)
  • A Waltz at Midnight
  • The Bargain Bride
  • Vicar's Daughter to Viscount's Lady (Transformation of the Shelley Sisters, #2)
  • His Majesty, the Prince of Toads
  • The Accidental Countess (Once Upon An Accident, #1)
  • Sold and Seduced
  • A Matter of Choice
  • His Cavalry Lady
  • Prairie Bride
  • The Substitute Bridegroom
  • The Wedding Gamble (Wellingfords, #1)
We live in the Adelaide Hills of South Australia, in a beautiful lush valley full of apple, pear and cherry orchards. We moved here a couple of years back, escaping from the city and it’s just gorgeous. The property is small, only five acres, but we have room for two small noisy boys, three dogs, two cats and several woolly things masquerading a environmentally friendly lawnmowers. Before that we ...more
More about Elizabeth Rolls...