Start by marking “Fatal Shadows / A Dangerous Thing (Adrien English Mysteries, #1-2)” as Want to Read:
Fatal Shadows / A Dangerous Thing (Adrien English Mysteries, #1-2)

Fatal Shadows / A Dangerous Thing (The Adrien English Mysteries #1-2)

4.38  ·  Rating Details ·  1,678 Ratings  ·  110 Reviews
Relationships can be murder. Bookseller and mystery author Adrien English is looking for love in all the wrong places -- and, according to hot and handsome LAPD detective Jake Riordan, it's liable to get him killed.

Fatal Shadows
A serial killer is stalking gay men, and a tawny-eyed LAPD detective wants bookseller Adrien English in handcuffs -- for all the wrong reasons!

A Da
Published May 8th 2007 by Loose Id LLC

To ask other readers questions about Fatal Shadows / A Dangerous Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fatal Shadows / A Dangerous Thing

Bookwatcher
May 15, 2011 Bookwatcher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone! Not only M/M readers.
Recommended to Bookwatcher by: Manu and Laura
5 stars, to both stories of this edition! another serie I'm certainly already addicted!

Fatal Shadows - Adrien Mystery Serie, book 1

Adrien English is a loser

He is still alone, after a hard end of a relationship. His life is his small bookshop, and his aspiration is be a writer. The first book of the serie start with a murder, and Adrien is the main suspect.

I Love the characters ad most of all the suspense!!!!! If you are searching for a suspense, a very well written story and a lot of fun t
Sara
How the hell do I do anything with this story/stories? I can't review them properly because anything Lanyon writes will be me gushing over the location settings *waves to local towns*, the way he makes me wait for the good stuff and stuff and just the way he sucks my ass into his mysteries and... JAKE! *whispers* Sorry, Natasha.

So, goofy me bought books one and two together, I so did not realize this until the percentage seemed to never move. *face palm* Anyway...

I have to say I am glad I got m
MaDoReader
Jan 25, 2017 MaDoReader rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
3,5 porque me ha gustado mucho el estilo de Lanyon y Adrien y Jack son una de esa parejas que prometen.

Por lo demás, los misterios son bastante meh. Me ha gustado más A Dangerous Thing que Fatal Shadows, claramente porque la relación entre los MC avanza bastante y ya empiezo a ver de qué va a ir el tira y afloja entre ellos.

Seguiré leyendo la serie, pero sin prisa, no me ha matado.
Jay Bell
Mar 14, 2012 Jay Bell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had the pleasure of reading these two books from Josh Lanyon late last year, and have no choice but to join the army of zombie fanboys and girls that follow Josh around everywhere. There's good reason this author is so immensely popular! I look forward to catching up with the rest of the impressive Lanyon back catalog soon.
Marwa
I normally don't read mysteries so I was reluctant at first to read this series but I have heard that it is a great one and I already had it on my kindle, so I thought I'd give it a try. I'm glad I wasn't disappointed. Although I hoped to see more romance but the mystery was good and it kept me interested till the end, and I loved the moments between Adrien and Jake (when they weren't fighting, trying to investigate the murder or when Jake was an ass).

Fatal Shadows:
In the first book Adrien Eng
Erika
4 stars.

Still just as good as I remember the series to be, even if I often find Adrien to be annoying in his dogged pursuit of solving the mystery and even if Jake can be a total asshole. That's what makes them seem so real.

On to the next.

Tina
Mar 25, 2013 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime

3,5 stars for the first two books in a five book series about Adrien English, an openly gay book store owner and mystery author, who stumbles over dead bodies and slips permanently from danger to danger. This is where Jake comes in, a homicide LAPD detective who has some problems with his attraction to men...

The books have a mix of suspense and a bit romance that keeps you reading because you want to know how it will end.

I'm curious how the things between Adrien and Jake will develop. I guess I
Ridley
I'm currently waging a war with my good sense over these books. Do I rush over to get the other three novels and read them in one go, or do I smarten the hell up and read the piles of books I already have first?

If you like mysteries with amateur sleuths and a romance sub-plot, this series has it going on. Lanyon does first-person narration the way it should be done. It's like Adrien is telling me his story, peppering it with bits of humor, personality and clever asides as he goes. You get to tak
Alvin
FATAL SHADOWS Review:
I enjoyed it but it was a mess.

I went into this blind. So throughout the book, I was trying to figure out who will Adrien end up with. I felt there UST between him and Jake. But it also felt lacking to me. Also it was hard to root for both of them. Jake is too closeted. And I don't even get what Adrien's personality is. Because he's too busy figuring out the murder and thinking about his dead best friend way too much.

The mystery was okay. I was glued. But in the beginnin
Mel
Sep 19, 2011 Mel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had Josh Lanyon on my TBR pile for a whole while now, but I just never seemed to get to reading his books. Incessant (digital) arm twisting by some Goodreads friends (I'm looking at you, LA!) got the Adrien English series on my currently reading shelf. And may I say: it was a pleasure.
Honestly: I'm not the biggest mystery fan and I had expected a wider romance arc, especially for the first story. But the mystery part was engaging and the romance part was -subtle as it was- strangely satisfyin
Carvedwood
Jul 31, 2009 Carvedwood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: glbt
Josh Lanyon is made of awesome.

I adore Adrien. There is something so realistic about his character, so “guy next door,” that he is even more comfortable and endearing than many of my other favorite sleuths. Adrien is fallible, he jumps to conclusions, he faints, his voice shoots up on the scale when he’s excited or outraged, he makes lists, and he can’t cook. Pirates make him happy. He’s mouthy. He’s grumpy about the trash habits of his neighbors. He has weird friends (and employees) and his mo
Donna
Oct 23, 2015 Donna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m-read
This was actually 4.5 stars for me (but I rounded it up)... I am blaming it on the way that the first book ended... grrr

I will admit that I am totally hooked on these two guys... I see chaos and mayhem in their futures and I intend to enjoy every minute of it!!! Adrien (with an 'e'... it will make sense after you read it) is rather bland and boring with an occasional glimpse of something that just makes you want to take him home with you and cuddle with him!!! Jake, on the other hand... is an AS
J. Rosemary Moss
Adrien English is a wry, funny, endearing narrator with a weak heart, a stubborn streak and an unhealthy dose of curiosity. Jake Riordan is a smart, tough, ambitious cop who won't acknowledge himself as gay--but can't stop himself from pursuing Adrien. (Ok, sometimes it's because Adrien is a suspect, but still.) Add two creepy, puzzling mysteries and you have the first two books of a series that's impossible to put down!
Moloch
Nov 22, 2012 Moloch rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Moloch by: Gianthogweed
Lasciamo perdere la copertina, per carità, che è proprio brutta e non rende minimamente il “tono” del libro: meglio quelle spiritose e allusive e più originali della serie di Ty e Zane. Una delle critiche che facevo alle autrici di tale serie era che le trame poliziesche dei loro romanzi erano assai pasticciate e inverosimili: mi è stato consigliato, allora, di leggere qualcosa di quest’autore, Josh Lanyon, più capace, a detta dell’amica che me ne ha parlato, di maneggiare gli strumenti e i temi ...more
Sarah Madison
Feb 27, 2012 Sarah Madison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tara
Technically, this is the book I read, but I reviewed it in 2 parts as I read it.

FATAL SHADOWS
This is the first book in the Adrien English series. It was an actual mystery with not that much romance but so good.

I like Adrien English. He's smart and likable and smart. He is a mystery writer and he loves mystery novels. In this book his best friend turns up dead and he is the prime suspect. Homicide detective Jake Riordan is stern, but continues to show a bit of sympathy for Adrien. Despite knowin
Lauraadriana
Feb 12, 2011 Lauraadriana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think I won't be able to do a full review until I finish all five books. So far I can say that I love these books and that Josh Lanyon is brilliant.

There are books that have characters that you love and that you can relate to, that you feel that you get...but with Adrien it's like he gets you, what is silly, what makes you laugh and what can make you thoughtful,sad,angry.

Adrien is a mystery bookstore owner in LA he also writes mystery he's best friend is killed and he becomes a suspect. He ge
Sylvie
5 stars (for the entire series)

Sometimes you wonder if a series is every bit as good as you've read about, and you start to put off reading it only to save yourself from discovering the surprise one way or the other. I'm more than ecstatic to say, no, this series by Josh Lanyon is as good as it gets in the genre. Well, okay, to be completely honest, this series is more mystery than romance, but it brought my mystery-loving heart back to the forefront. As someone who grew up on first Nancy Drew/
Nicole Angela Bee Bee
i admit it,.i skipped to the J/A moments. would be 4 stars without all that extraneous mystery stuff. more sex, less sherlock holmes. the sex was fantastic though. had to wait to 85% to get to.it. after a massage and an awesome.first.kiss that went nowhere, they finally got down to business.

hmmmm, the break in J's armour went differently than.i.thought it would. i thought they would fall together after a rescue or near death type thing. not just a drunk.fuck, well, i guess it was after a shootin
Indie Reviews

Fatal Shadows is the first installment in Josh Lanyon’s Adrien English Mysteries series. In it he spins an extremely well written web of mystery and intrigue surrounding the murder of Rob Hersey. I do love a riveting page-turning plot that keeps me guessing and on the edge and the author delivers this in spades, with an attention to detail that serves to further heighten the elements of mystery and suspense. There are several suspects with motive in this story and I must admit to having pinned t
Lexi Ander
Nov 14, 2010 Lexi Ander rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, favorites, novel
Both Adrien and Jake drove me batty. They are such opposites and their struggling in their own ways to learn how to fit. I love/hate Jake. Anyone other than Adrien would have dropped his repressed tush on the corner but you see Jake through Adrien's eyes, and you can't help but to feel for him even if he is "so lost in the closet that even he couldn't find himself." It didn't keep me from getting frustrated with Adrien for not standing up to Adrien more. I understand why but I still had moments ...more
Fehu
Jan 14, 2011 Fehu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the whole Adrian English series!

If I had to compare it to some writer, I'd say it reminds me of the mystery books written by Michael Nava, which I loved.

One aspekt which I like in all of Lanyons books, are his references to classical literature.
The relationship between Jake and Adrian is an emotional rolacoaster with slightly more up, in the second book, though a lot of the time, ok most of the time, I just wanted for Adrian to dump Jake and take of with someone he met through his sleuth
Norma
Feb 23, 2011 Norma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Darnit! My review disappeared.

I loved both of these books. Adrien is a great character and I loved getting to know him better. Both books do start a little slow though.

The mysteries are fun to follow along with and not too heavy or too light. :)

I took 1/2 star off each book for Jake. I hate Jake. If I had a Jake in my life, I'd kick his sorry ass to the curb. I found myself actively rooting against any relationship with Adrien and Jake. Adrien cannot save Jake. He cannot change Jake and
Nikki
Wow - this series is great. These are more mystery stories with a hint of romance than most m-m books I have read.

I love the way Josh tells the story and really draws you in to the investigations even if you have guessed who the culprit is well before the book ends.

The romance is a slow burner and I can sense it will build over the course of the five books in this series. Nonetheless I think it will be all the better for it and I am already looking forward to book 3!
Sandra
$5.60 on Nook for novellas 1 and 2 of this series. Good murder mysteries with a gay male lead and a little bit of sexin' on the side.

I was on vaca when I read this so I didn't have a chance to write a full review, and it's hard to remember specific plot details in hindsight. But basically, I love this series. Just the right amount of flawed hero, sexy closeted copper, ridiculously bourgeois but loving mom, and weirdo side character.
Ran ♠
Sep 21, 2015 Ran ♠ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5-4 stars

Review to follow after I finish the whole series.

****************

Can't wait to read this! :D
Nichole (Dirrty H)
Sep 02, 2010 Nichole (Dirrty H) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, 2010, mystery

What fantastically silly and wonderful books! Silly, and yet I never know who-dunnit 'til the end. I find myself captivated by every word. I love Adrien, I love Jake, I love Lanyon's humor. Can't believe I waited so long to read these, and can't wait to read the rest.
Julia
Oh man. Okay, these just make me want to flap my hands and squeal. Josh Lanyon can be hit and miss for me. I always like his books, but I hadn't really LOVED one yet. Until now. These were witty, engaging, well paced and well written all the way around. I can't wait to read the next one.
Susan
Oct 12, 2011 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-read, z-2012
I loved every page of these two books and now I am going to continue with the series and hope that at some point I stop wanting Jake to suffer an unfortunate and very painful accident!
  • Camp Hell (PsyCop #5)
  • Deadly Wrong (Deadly Mystery, #2)
  • All or Nothing (Taking the Odds, #3)
  • Amor En Retrogrado (Bill Turner, #1)
  • Like Pizza and Beer (Dino Martini Mysteries, #2)
  • Breaking Cover (Life Lessons, #2)
  • Mexican Heat (Crimes & Cocktails, #1)
  • L.A. Heat (L.A., #1)
  • Trust Me If You Dare (Romano and Albright, #2)
  • Lessons in Love (Cambridge Fellows, #1)
Bestselling author of over sixty titles of classic Male/Male fiction featuring twisty mystery, kickass adventure and unapologetic man-on-man romance, JOSH LANYON has been called "arguably the single most influential voice in m/m romance today." Granted, that was yesterday.

Today Josh's work has been translated into nine languages. The FBI thriller Fair Game was the first male/male title to be publi
More about Josh Lanyon...

The Adrien English Mysteries (5 books)
  • Fatal Shadows (The Adrien English Mysteries, #1)
  • A Dangerous Thing (The Adrien English Mysteries, #2)
  • The Hell You Say (The Adrien English Mysteries, #3)
  • Death of a Pirate King (The Adrien English Mysteries, #4)
  • The Dark Tide (The Adrien English Mysteries, #5)

“When you live with a potentially life-threatening condition you get used to the thought of dying. You accept it, you push on. The thing that scared me was the picture of dying slowly and painfully, the loss of independence and identity to illness.” 8 likes