Start by marking “The Unquiet Dead: A Psychologist Treats Spirit Possession” as Want to Read:
The Unquiet Dead: A Psychologist Treats Spirit Possession

The Unquiet Dead: A Psychologist Treats Spirit Possession

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  92 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Noted psychologist Dr. Edith Fiore explains how to detect spirit possession in yourself and others, how to protect yourself from entities, how to release your home from displaced spirits, and how to perform a depossession. Filled with shocking case histories.
Published March 1st 1995 by Ballantine Books (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Unquiet Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unquiet Dead

Tim Malone
Jul 26, 2013 Tim Malone rated it really liked it
I have mentioned this book in several of my posts over the past year or two but only recently did I give it a thorough reading. It’s an old book so this is certainly not the first review. Oh, and by the way, this is not about the episode of the same name from Doctor Who, the British Science-Fiction television series. I think the title of the book was a good choice. It gets your attention.

It was published in 1987 and is Dr. Fiore’s second book. I reviewed her first, You Have Been Here Before in a
Gabriella Alexandra
Jan 19, 2016 Gabriella Alexandra rated it really liked it
This was a very informative book, but it gave me the heebie-jeebies. What a creepy and strange idea! If it is true that spirits can possess people, then we need to take a closer look at our mental health system and diagnoses, as the author suggests. This could be groundbreaking information, if only more people paid attention to it! In total, I would say: read this at your own risk because you may incite fear into yourself, but also keep an open mind. The methods the author shares of "deposessing ...more
Andrea Tackett
Aug 16, 2015 Andrea Tackett rated it did not like it
I find Fiore's work incredibly dangerous and irresponsible. Her spiritual worldview comes across as disturbingly weak, deeply rooted in her own admission that she is not sure she believes in any of the concepts she impresses on patients in these "depossessions."

This book is filled with perceptions of which Fiore herself repeatedly states she is not convinced. In her own words:

"Please remember that even I, after thousands of depossessions, am still not one hundred percent convinced of the existen
Kemila Zsange
Dec 29, 2012 Kemila Zsange rated it really liked it
I just finished reading Dr. Edith Fiore's another fascinating clinical case book "The Unquiet Dead" - A Psychologist Treats Spirit Possession, which was first publiced in 1987. This was really a frontier book of this kind, I mean, by a psychologist not a "psychic" - It's funny though, when I say a "psychologist", not a "psychic", it feels as if it gives more credibility as there's "science" component in it; but does it really? Dr. Fiore's spirit depossession work was based on hypotism, up till t ...more
Stacy
Jan 19, 2016 Stacy rated it liked it
I think I have read this before, parts of it were very familair. But, it's an interesting read that opens the mind to new ideas.
Daniel Berisford
Apr 20, 2016 Daniel Berisford rated it it was amazing
Shelves: past-lives
How amazing to think that spirits are attached to us and live with us day to day.
Heather
Jan 10, 2014 Heather rated it liked it
Interesting concepts. I wouldn't want her to treat me necessarily, but I'm glad I read this author's work/about her work.
Attila Benő
Jul 13, 2016 Attila Benő rated it liked it
Despite the three stars, the book is not bad. The reason for the three stars is that in my opinion this book is quite disturbing. There are many books about this topic that are much more readable and not quite as upsetting.
Michelle
Jan 05, 2009 Michelle rated it really liked it
An interesting look and theory from the viewpoint of a psychologist. It sounds like it would be strange but it is actually very interesting.
Adebayo
Sep 14, 2011 Adebayo rated it liked it
It is good but not as explanatory as Freeing the Captives. It fills in some missing pieces though to the latter book.
Regina
Mar 22, 2014 Regina rated it it was amazing
the book is great! the beginning is a bit scary but it puts all the cards on the table. Loved it.
Linda T.
Mar 02, 2008 Linda T. rated it it was amazing
Dr. Fiore is an amazing practicioner as well as an amazing author. This book is fascinating.
Liz
Apr 03, 2008 Liz rated it it was amazing
Very interesting read but a times somewhat disturbing. I totally loved it!
Shannon
Jul 01, 2012 Shannon rated it really liked it
Came recommended after undergoing hypnosis *raises an eyebrow*
Jenn
Sep 22, 2008 Jenn rated it really liked it
Excellent case studies of spirit possession. Highly recommend.
Cynthia
Jul 02, 2013 Cynthia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
eye opening
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Gregory T.
Gregory T. rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2016
Pam
Pam added it
Jimmy
Jimmy rated it it was ok
Jimmy Rufus
Jimmy Rufus marked it as to-read
Nikola Milenković
Nikola Milenković marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Marta
Marta marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Guy
Guy rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2016
Andi
Andi rated it did not like it
May 31, 2016
Vivek Parulekar
Vivek Parulekar marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Shailesh Tupe
Shailesh Tupe marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Erin MacMichael
Erin MacMichael rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2016
Jon
Jon marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Woman of Wyrrd: The Arousal of the Inner Fire
  • Unfinished Business: What the Dead Can Teach Us About Life
  • The Globalisation of Addiction: A Study in Poverty of the Spirit
  • The Sexual Healing Journey: A Guide for Survivors of Sexual Abuse
  • The Roots of Coincidence
  • Radical Remission: Surviving Cancer Against All Odds
  • Holy Ghosts: Or, How a (Not So) Good Catholic Boy Became a Believer in Things That Go Bump in the Night
  • The Spirits' Book
  • House of Spirits and Whispers: The True Story of a Haunted House
  • Trapped in the Mirror: Adult Children of Narcissists in Their Struggle for Self
  • Violet Flame: To Heal Body, Mind & Soul
  • The Medicine Way: A Shamanic Path to Self Mastery (The "Earth Quest" Series)
  • The Pathwork of Self-Transformation
  • Uncle John's Gigantic Bathroom Reader
  • In Yana, the Touch of Undying
  • Sinister Forces—The Manson Secret: A Grimoire of American Political Witchcraft
  • Peace, Love and Healing: Bodymind Communication & the Path to Self-Healing: An Exploration
  • Initiation