Start by marking “Perfect Man” as Want to Read:
Perfect Man

Perfect Man

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  500 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Alex Nichols’ sister sets him up on a blind date with the perfect man, a man who has haunted his dreams for ten years. Craig Fontaine was his fantasy as far back as high school, but Craig did his best to humiliate him then over coming out. Now ten years later they both have successful careers and Craig claims to be gay. At first Alex is certain this is Craig’s version of a ...more
Published November 1st 2009 by Ellora's Cave (first published December 31st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Perfect Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Perfect Man

Daisiemae
Jan 06, 2009 Daisiemae rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All of my friends who want depth to their romance
Recommended to Daisiemae by: I really love the authors other books
This book was an unexpected gem for me. I am not surprised that I enjoyed it so much because I am a fan of Shawn's other books, but what surprised me about it is the emotional rollercoaster the characters go through. If you are looking for a storyline where is is all rainbows and sunsets, this book is not for you. What you get when you read Perfect Man is well written characters that are flawed, but so easy to get behind and root for.

I really don't want to get too much into the storyline itself
Shayne
Apr 18, 2009 Shayne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Shayne by: Our friends here...thank you!
I didn’t plan on reviewing any books we have read. I am not one to mix with words, but truthfully I would rather read what our friends here have written and occasionally (more often than not…lol) comment on them.
Last night we started The Perfect Man by Shawn Lane. We had just read Most Likely to Succeed by her, and so I knew from reading it, that she is a great storyteller, but after I read this book I had no idea how emotional I would get while reading this book.
I admit I can be quite dramatic
Ava
Dec 31, 2008 Ava rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alex and Craig were friends all through school. Not good friends, but they attended the same schools and knew each other for years. But when Alex came out as gay in high school, Craig picked on him and humiliated him. Years later, Alex's sister sets him up on a blind date. Alex's boyfriend broke up with him a few months ago and his sister wants to help him get over the break-up and start dating again. To Alex's surprise, his date is Craig - the gorgeous jock he had the hots for in high school, b ...more
Christina (SteepedinBooks)
My Rating: 3.0

Alex’s sister sets him up with Craig, one of her coworkers. When he meets Craig at the bar, he realizes he already knows the guy - from high school. Alex has held onto his high school hurts for a long time. He’d had quite a crush on Craig back then and the two were friendly, but not close. When Alex came out, Craig turned on him and treated him horribly, making his last year in high school absolute hell. Now, Alex is afraid to trust that Craig is really gay and not out to play some
Boycop
Dec 04, 2013 Boycop rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
How short can a novella be? Apparently, about 50 pages is more than enough.
At first I was disappointed by length of this novella, but that actually happened to be a blessing in disguise as the plot was so weak.

I was intrigued by the blurb and thought this might just be an entertaining fast read. Especially since Car Wash by Shawn Lane was a really good entertaining read.

The starting point of the book is interesting but after the promising beginning it fails completely.

The book should have been
Nicole
Dec 04, 2013 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pre-lubed condoms aren't lubricated sufficiently enough to forego all other lubricants during the act of anal sex. Accordingly,rather than enjoy really hot sex, I could only think about rubber-burn.
VsReadYs
I am very much confused as what should I rate this...
Finally settled for a Two and a Half star.

There is a fine difference between a GOOD Plot and and WELL WRITTEN Plot..

The Perfect Man is defiantly has a very good plot,that could have been much better if it was equally well written.
The story was powerful and could have instantaneously drawn in the reader to all its anguish ,but unfortunate it fails to do so.I rather feel that the story was way too short.

(view spoiler)
Arthur
Nov 16, 2011 Arthur rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars

When Alex agreed to the blind date set up by his sister, he didn't expect to see the guy was Craig. His high school tormentor. But he was just dumped by his boyfriend, who happened to be the brother of his sister's husband. And she just told him that his ex had moved on. Why should he, too, move on? So, he had dinner with Craig. He didn't know that would change his life. Completely.

Many things I like about this book.

(view spoiler)
ElaineY
Jan 04, 2009 ElaineY rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm
It started off sounding like a fun, sexy MM romance but became rather heavy and depressing. I'd still like to try another MM romance by Shawn Lane if she has something a little different.
Erotic Horizon
Apr 27, 2009 Erotic Horizon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s never a good thing for a sister to set her brother up on a blind date, as Alex Nichols finds out. It’s also not a good thing, to assume that the past will never come back and bite you on the bum, as he finds out when the man who made his last year of high school a night mare turns out to be his blind date.

When Craig Fontaine walked through the door of the bar where he was suppose to be meeting his date, all he saw at the bar was a gorgeous hunk of a man. Having all that man come at him with
Cindi
Dec 07, 2011 Cindi rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
There were high ratings for this book and it seemed like something I'd like. I had never read anything by this author so I thought I'd give it a try. While I liked the story, I felt there was something missing. I'm not sure what it was. I guess it all just seemed rushed to me..... Alex was bullied by Craig when they were in high school for coming out as being gay. Years later Alex is basically forced into a blind date by his sister with a man who turns out to be the Craig from high school who ma ...more
Janna
This novella is not a light, quick read although it’s not long. It’s altogether an emotional story with incredible character depth that I really enjoyed.
Nothing is what it seems, that’s what Alex is about to experience when he meets his old school friend Craig again, who happened to be the guy who gave him a hard time for coming out of the closet back then. Now he’s his blind date and Alex has trouble believing that Craig is gay. Despite his initial scepticism Alex falls for Craig all over agai
Renatta De
Dec 04, 2013 Renatta De rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book annoyed me so much it compelled me to write my first review. I found it on a list that contained other books I've loved and the plot intrigued me, so I read it. There's so much I disliked about this book, the pacing, the length, the dialogue, character's behavior. The plot wasn't bad, but it was SO poorly executed. There are other authors - Cameron Dane, Heidi Cullinan, Willa Okati, Tere Michaels, even fluffy Mary Calmes - who could take on this kind of angst this much much better. I w ...more
Paisley
2.5 stars (I didn't really like it but it was better than okay)

I have found I just don't do very well with this author's books. It's not like they are terrible or poorly written, they just don't do it for me. I feel harsh giving 2 stars when there are plenty of smutty Siren published ones I have given 3 to - but at least with those I am more entertained and end the book with wanting to buy another one. Maybe you can chalk it up to my questionable judgement but that's how I feel.
FloJ
Apr 23, 2009 FloJ rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm afraid I am going to side with Elaine here.
I feel this was a shell of a story, there could have been a lot more development of character and plot. I don't think much of the sudden resolution that Shawn seems to go in for. Sorry Shawn.
Candice
Dec 10, 2013 Candice rated it liked it
Read on 12-10-13

I think if this was longer and fleshed out more it could have been great. I liked Alex and Craig, but I just thought everything was so rushed. I couldn't get into it :(
Nikko
Jul 17, 2011 Nikko rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
I don't know why but I really love this book.. This is the best book by Shawn Lane.. But then again I love all Shawn Lanes works.. Keep it up gerl!!
Gabbi
Jan 08, 2009 Gabbi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gabbi by: Daisie's Review
What a great book! I loved it!
Rissa (an M/M kinda Girl!!)
Sep 20, 2012 Rissa (an M/M kinda Girl!!) marked it as smut-mountain-tbr
enemies to lovers shelf
Dee
Jul 12, 2014 Dee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars rounded up.

Despite it's shortness it has everything going for it - enemies to lovers (well, bully to lover), fast insta-love developed from school crush and actual plot by way of strong character development. I can't really say what the issues are without spoilering beyond belief (don't worry it's not cheating, if like me you loathe that theme) but it's well written and believable for the character. If only it was longer. Everything I'm reading lately is too short!
Shelby P
Feb 04, 2014 Shelby P rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
I think the title of this book was meant to be ironic because otherwise, I don't get the title. First let me say that I hate selfish lovers! It pissed me off when Alex wanted to top Craig (his second time ever topping) and Craig agrees but then turns around and fucks Alex instead.

Now 10 years is not a long time to forget someone who you went to high school with and especially someone you bullied. I didn't believe that Craig didn't recognize Alex's picture or that they didn't recognize each othe
Lily
Jul 06, 2009 Lily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Alex Nichol's meets the blind date his sister set him up with he's shocked to recognize his old high school classmate. Craig Fontaine has been his fantasy perfect man since then even though Craig treated him badly after Alex came out his senior year.

It's been ten years since the last time they saw each other and Craig doesn't recognize Alex at first. During their time at high school Craig had been under a lot of stress from problems at home and when he started questioning his own sexuality
Lauren
Oct 28, 2011 Lauren rated it liked it
Shelves: mm-romance
I've rated this book 3 stars. It was actually the second half of Perfect Man that gave it that extra third star. I found the first half to be kind of lacking. The relationship seemed to move way too fast in the beginning, with us knowing very little about our main characters. I had also been hoping for a little more reluctance on Alex's part at the start once he had found out who the mystery guy his sister had set him up with was. I found the writing to be a little stilted too.

Once the actual st
Lucy
Honestly it's a 3.5. For me, this story progressed from a 3 to a 4 in the end. The author didn't go into depth about the abuse and Travis dealing with it, since the story was short. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. Alex was amazing; in the first encounter he didn't hold a grudge on Travis bullying him in the past, he got over it pretty fast.
Teetee
Nov 20, 2013 Teetee rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Wow, right off the bat i hated both of the characters. The only reason i wanted to read this was becuase the two had known one another in HS so i thought, 'great backstory'. The first guy doesnt even remember the second and then asks to put it behind them so they can date. So no great angst so far. But the hopeful guy asks the other guy to a movie, and other guy answers 'no'. When hopeful guy feels rejected, other guy says 'let me cook for you instead'. If this is an example of the shoddy writin ...more
Jamieshans
May 09, 2016 Jamieshans rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars. I didn't realize that I read this a long time ago, not until I was at 50% of the book. Like the story so fast paced and kinda insta love but not really.
Melissa
Oct 13, 2014 Melissa marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Didn't feel any chemistry or connection between the MCs.

DNF at 38%
Camilla
Oct 28, 2010 Camilla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
SheReadsALot
I liked this story. It was darker than I expected it to go. I wished it was longer so there was some finality with the loose end that is Travis. If he was supposed to be the main antagonist, I wished his presence was more pronounced or more lasting than it was. I didn't expect the trauma Craig had went through to be so deep. I also felt the Kindle price was too high for the length.
Dionne
Apr 18, 2013 Dionne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
This book started out really good and then took a real sharp left turn towards the last few chapters. I guess it had been hinted at during the middle of the book but I was still sitting there scratching my head and saying Huh, what just happened? It was still a good book, just ended a little unexpectedly in my opinion.
  • Second Sight
  • Got Mistletoe?
  • Eros Rising
  • Off the Beaten Path
  • Love, Jamie (Love, #1)
  • Letting In the Light
  • Reckless Seduction (Reckless, #1)
  • Convincing Arthur (London Legal, #1)
  • Self Preservation
  • Roughstock: Blind Ride - Season One (Roughstock, #1)
Shawn Lane writes erotic gay romances and believes love and passion know no boundaries. Happily Ever After is for everyone.

In the past she has written heterosexual romances (see her backlist) but is now concentrating on gay romances.

Shawn lives in California and holds down a boring day job in a legal department of a giant corporation dreaming of the nights and weekends when she can create new sto
More about Shawn Lane...