Start by marking “The Last Illusion (Molly Murphy, #9)” as Want to Read:
The Last Illusion (Molly Murphy, #9)

The Last Illusion (Molly Murphy #9)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  1,614 ratings  ·  128 reviews
Irish immigrant and PI Molly Murphyis thrilled to have a ticketto the theater to see a trio of illusionists that are all the rage. Indeed,headlining is Harry Houdini, the most sensational of them all; he has just returned from entertaining European kings and queens for a brief run on Broadway.

But before Houdini can even take the stage, the opening act goes horribly wrong a
Published March 2nd 2010 by Minotaur Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Illusion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Illusion

Jocelyn
It looks as if Molly is going to choose diamonds over her detective agency. Too bad, because Daniel gets a bit tiresome in this installment. Practically all his lines command Molly to give up the PI business or forbid her to take risks. I would rather marry Lord Peter Wimsey, who tells his lady love, "If you have put anything in hand, disagreeableness and danger will not turn you back, and God forbid they should."
cloudyskye
Can't believe I'm done with this. It's not even an awful story, but I was soooo bored. I used to like Molly Murphy's adventures to begin with, and Rhys Bowen does find new and interesting aspects of the period (early 20th century New York, quite well researched, too, I believe), but I'm too fed up by now with the Molly-Daniel relationship thing, the eternal "I'm a working independent woman" versus the "little wife", same old, same old.
I can't be bothered anymore.
I'm officially dropping this ser
Anne
daniel is such a condescending, chauvinistic prick who has no respect for molly and if i didn't like her i wouldn't even bother with this series because i'm starting to hate this dude so much.
Andrea Roberts
When I read the synopsis to this book I was excited. A young, female detective protecting one of the world's most famous illusionists Harry Houdini. What could go wrong?

Then I read some reviews on Goodreads about how annoying the constant barrage of her fiancé's requests for her to leave the business was but I was taken back by how constant and frustrating it was. Not to mention his emotions were all over the place which was incredible confusing. I can understand that many men in that era though
Kristen
I thought a story about a spunky Irish female private investigator in early 1900's New York City sounded interesting. Especially since Harry Houdini was her client. Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy this.

The main character of Molly Murphy seemed continuously torn between being a modern, independant woman, and bowing to the expectation to become a docile, boring proper wife to her policeman fiance. While I understand that she probably would be facing such a choice, I just found that her constant angs
Carol
This story had so much potential, but it was disappointing at times. Daniel was particularly annoying. A fun story line involving Harry Houdini and his wife and other magicians held my interest most of the time. Not my favorite Molly Murphy but acceptable.
Luffy Monkey D.
It's almost always the case that I can recognize a book that will score 1/5 right off the bat. The author, Rhys Bowen, should be ashamed of forging ahead with a bad sketchy idea and wrongfully persevering in laying this bad egg. She is totally out of her element. She probably loved bad spy novels and pulp fiction and thought imitation was flattery.

The alarm bells started ringing when the big setup of the Scarpelli guy failed to impress on me. Usually Rhys Bowen's victims hit me hard, but not t
Kathy
Rhys Bowen brings New York City and its people, famous and not, alive like no other author. She weaves well-known historical and entertainment figures into the Molly Murphy stories like a fine silk lining in a well-tailored jacket. In The Last Illusion, this reader was treated to a personality and profession I have long found fascinating, Houdini and the enigmatical art of the illusionist. I knew I was in for an exciting ride when the unconventional worlds of Molly Murphy and Houdini collided. A ...more
Bonnie
It is summer in New York City and Molly and Daniel attend a performance of illusionist at Miner's Bowery Theater. During one of the opening acts for Houdini, a girl is being sawn in half when something goes horribly wrong and screams are heard as blood oozes from the box. Daniel takes charge of the investigation. In the aftermath of the tragedy Houdini the performer blames Houdini of tampering with the equipment he keeps under lock and key. Molly had gone onstage with Daniel and meets Houdini's ...more
Kate
I couldn't get into this book, and I don't know why. It dragged. I found it to be slow-moving and not very captivating. Molly is engaged to work with Harry Houdini because his wife Bess is concerned that people are trying to hurt him. In her pursuing of the mystery, Daniel continues to act over-protectively and to forbid her involvement, which has never stopped Molly before, and didn't this time either. In the end, her keen powers of observation lead Molly to the truth and to danger. Overall, a ...more
Linda
Suspense Filled Novel.

As I continue reading this series, I'm amazed at the historical research that was done to make this book of fiction accurate. There are always twist in the plot so you never know til the end who did it. Molly Murphy, in this episode, finds herself again helping to solve a under. Her betrothed, Captain Daniel Sullivan, again forbids her to continue to work as a Private Detective. As they attended a illusionist show, starring, The Great Houdini, tragedy strikes, a murder, acc
Linda
I like Rhys Bowen's historical fiction/suspense mix. She uses real historical characters with her fictional heroine, in this case it was Harry Houdini.
Thenia
Molly Murphy gets acquainted with the world of illusionists when she gets a case from the famous Harry Houdini's wife and we get to see behind the scenes of some interesting magic tricks.

There's quite a bit of arguing between Molly and Daniel, who is pressuring her to quit being a detective and stay out of the suspicious accident they both witnessed in one of their outings at an illusionist show, where Houdini was supposed to perform. She seems to be unable to do that, since she's too curious by
Bookworm1858
Summary: The ninth book in the Molly Murphy, Lady Detective series. Molly is an Irish immigrant in NYC circa 1903. She is engaged to policeman Daniel Sullivan and in this installment is investigating mysterious happenings surrounding the magician Harry Houdini.

Why I Read: I've read many of the previous Molly books and I had not even realized there was a new book so I was very excited.

My Thoughts: While it was mostly enjoyable, I had a few problems. First I'm very angry at Daniel for his "malenes
James
Molly Murphy is an Irish immigrant to New York City who makes her living as a private investigator. This being 1903, this is most unusual. She also happens to be engaged to a New York police captain who would like her to give up her unconventional occupation. But tonight, they are just having a night on the town as they watch a trio of illusionists that are all the rage, including Harry Houdini, the most sensational of them all. But before Houdini can even take the stage, the opening act goes ho ...more
Kathy Davie
Ninth in the Molly Murphy mystery series set in turn-of-the-century New York. Molly is a recent Irish immigrant who fell into the private detective business.

The Story
An illusion, cutting a woman in half, goes wrong during a magical performance, but fortunately, Daniel and Molly are in attendance and both leap up to the stage. Although ordered home by Daniel, Molly scrapes up an acquaintance with Harry Houdini's wife, Bess who hires her the next day to protect Harry.

A job that quickly involves Ge
Rena Maureen
Read this in two days. At the ending,I realized that there were a number of clues given along the way.
Molly Murphy is an independent woman at a time women were happy to get married,stay at home and wait on their husbands. The kind of friends she has and the danger she keeps getting herself into upsets and concerns her intended,Daniel Sullivan NYPD captain. Things still are not completely settled abut their future as they both try to find the answers to their cases.

A Molly Murphy mystery,with Iri
Mark Baker
The summer of 1903 finds Molly Murphy going undercover to help find out who is threatening Houdini. Can she do it before there is another accident at the theater? This book struck just the right balance between historical detail and mystery. I enjoyed every page.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Dharia Scarab
Better than the previous one, unfortunately I just don't find Molly likable and Daniel is annoying as hell.

3 stars... This book was ok, but I won't go o
Brett
Intrepid private detective Molly Murphy returns yet again to the theater to solve another mystery - this time involving the famous master illusionist Harry Houdini, whose wife fears his life is in danger, possibly from a rival magician. Molly has to figure out what is going on, protect Houdini, & attempt not to get in too deep herself, all the while dealing, as usual, with her fiancee Captain Daniel Sullivan's urgent desire for her to stop this dangerous nonsense, marry him, & settle dow ...more
Corinne
Yet another joyful ride with my favorite P.I. Molly Murphy... and Houdini? A perfect match! The book had me hooked, and so I turned early on to the the 'Historical Notes' but there was a stern order not to read it until the end. I was constantly wondering what was based off of actual research and what was created. Unfortunately it was very loosely based off of actual events, but Bowen did her research to portray real characters well.

The plot is a bit loose, with a vague 'mystery' to follow in t
Julia Hendon
The setting, turn of the century NYC, and MC, Irish immigrant Molly Murphy, seem promising. The mystery was weakly plotted and the inclusion of historical figures such as Houdini didn't add much. The author seriously downplays the ethnic prejudice and sexism that a female Irish private detective was likely to face.
Binx Gray
This was my first Molly Murphy, I prefer starting a series at the beginning, but while I obviously missed some main events (her former, diseased boss' death, the relationship with her current beau, etc.) it was still readable. But, I have to say that books that are "historical" (I only mean that it's placed in a particular period, not that it's patently historical, it IS a mystery) that imbue characters (Ms. Murphy specifically, and wouldn't she just love being called Ms.) speaks/thinks too much ...more
Argum
Molly finds herself mixed up in a case where truly nothing is as it appears when she works for Mrs. Harry Houdini. Nothing she has seen can be taken for granted because the players in the case are all illusionists. Fewer appearances of old friends in this one because she is so wrapped up in the case at hand. Very good and interesting to read the historical note at the end.
Joan
Part of the fault might be mine for not enjoying this as much as I should have. Had I known at the time that this was part of a series, my expectations might have been different.

As far as the mystery was concerned, it started benignly enough with Molly being hired by Mrs. Houdini to look after her husband. It then takes a left turn as you discover that it was never about the illusions in the first place. The secondary mystery was, for me, where the whole book fell apart; the police, in coordina
Bonnie
I really enjoyed this book. The story was interested with Molly's fictional involvement with Houdini and his wife as well as the other illusionists. I was glad that Ms. Bowen included an afterword with more information on Houdini.
Echo
I wanted to give this 3.5 stars, but since I can't, I just rounded up. I really like Rhys Bowen, so I give her the benefit of the doubt.
I didn't like this book quite as well as some of the earlier ones in the series. As others have pointed out, Daniel, much as I have loved his character in the past, DOES get a little annoying at times. Still, I enjoyed the story and it kept me interested. (I think I read these books more for the history element than the mystery. Bowen is fabulous at bringing tim
Mollie
This story was a bit different from the earlier ones in the series in that Molly Murphy becomes involved in an espionage case. It was very interesting, but I would have thought she would have figured it out a bit sooner.
Michelle
I've always been obsessed with anything Houdini, so this has probably been one of my favorites so far. Molly is starting be more intuitive as a detective and solving things less by accidentally stumbling into the answer.
Niece
I love this series about a female turn-of-the-century private investigator named Molly Murphy. The author mixes in historical events with a good mystery. A fun series!
  • Two Down (Crossword Mysteries, #2)
  • Murder on Lexington Avenue (Gaslight Mystery, #12)
  • The Winter of Her Discontent (Rosie Winter, #2)
  • Getting Old Is Tres Dangereux (Gladdy Gold, #6)
  • The Winter Garden Mystery (Daisy Dalrymple, #2)
  • New Year's Eve Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #12)
  • The Battle for Gotham: New York in the Shadow of Robert Moses and Jane Jacobs
  • Hades
  • Hunter's Moon
  • When Last I Died (Mrs. Bradley, #13)
202867
"I'm a New York Times bestselling mystery author, winner of both Agatha and Anthony awards for my Molly Murphy mysteries, set in 1902 New York City.

I also write the Agatha-winning Royal Spyness series, about the British royal family in the 1930s. It's lighter, sexier, funnier, wicked satire. It was voted by readers as best mystery series one year.
I am also known for my Constable Evans books, set
More about Rhys Bowen...

Molly Murphy (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Murphy's Law (Molly Murphy Mysteries #1)
  • Death of Riley (Molly Murphy Mysteries #2)
  • For the Love of Mike (Molly Murphy Mysteries #3)
  • In Like Flynn (Molly Murphy Mysteries #4)
  • Oh Danny Boy (Molly Murphy Mysteries #5)
  • In Dublin's Fair City (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #6)
  • Tell Me, Pretty Maiden (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #7)
  • In a Gilded Cage (Molly Murphy, #8)
  • Bless the Bride (Molly Murphy, #10)
  • Hush Now, Don't You Cry  (Molly Murphy, #11)
Her Royal Spyness (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #1) A Royal Pain (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #2) Royal Blood (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #4) Royal Flush (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #3) Murphy's Law (Molly Murphy Mysteries #1)