Start by marking “The Wanderer (Condor Books)” as Want to Read:
The Wanderer (Condor Books)

The Wanderer (Condor Books)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  529 ratings  ·  20 reviews
The Wanderer, which consists of two closely related novels, Under the Autumn Star and On Muted Strings, has been acclaimed as one of Knut Hamsun's finest works.

The narrator, Knut Pedersen (Hamsun's real name), is an unsimple character in search of the simple life, which he hopes to attain by wandering round the Norwegian countryside doing such work as he can find. His ques
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1906)

To ask other readers questions about The Wanderer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wanderer

Geoff
Oct 03, 2008 Geoff rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: students of nature
Much like the tone of a book by Giono (I'm sure Giono was well aware of Hamsun), this is a lovely, simple story about a wanderer and his interactions with people and nature. The sometimes surreal, magical imagery that crops up, and Hamsun's almost mystical descriptions of solitude, working with the land, and the joy of immersing oneself in forests, rivers, and mountains, makes it a wonderful, contemplative book. The characters themselves were a little thin, but overall I greatly enjoyed this.
Cwn_annwn_13
This is my least favorite out of the four by Hamsun I have read. As in most of what he wrote I think a lot of his personal screwiness comes through in the main character of the book. In this case its a man who spends his life roaming from town to town in Norway doing random labor for hire. He gets stalkerish obsessions with women who it is in innappropriate for him to have interest in, namely the wives of his employers. Mainly this book focuses on the main characters obsessions, manipulations an ...more
Steven Monrad
Two sequential novels in one cover.

Under the Autumn Star

A Wanderer Plays on Muted Strings

autobiographical fiction
the famous Hamsun style spare and evocative
Juniar
Borrowed from my Danish exchange program student friend. I could feel when the wanderer in the story felt sleepy on a sunny day.
Teri
Hamsun is so introspective...gets inside the mind and soul of his characters. very satisfying reading..not light
Michael Steger
'The Wanderer' comprises two short, closely related novels: 'Under the Autumn Star' (1906) and 'On Muted Strings' (1909). The narrator in both is Knut Pedersen (Hamsun's own real name, in fact), who has renounced urban, middle-class life in favor of wandering the countryside, picking up work wherever he can. The tone of 'The Wanderer' is highly ambiguous: at times whimsical, at times dark, at times rather mysterious (as when the narrator is visited by a dead woman for a few evenings). The plot a ...more
Madhuri
The theme of a wandering man is central to many of Hamsun's characters, so it is perhaps only fitting that a book comprising of two of his writings be called The Wanderers. The cover contains two inter-twined Hamsun writings: Under the Autumn Star and Wanderer plays on muted strings, the latter a sequel to the first - and is a close but stale reflection of Hamsun's themes and moods, perhaps even a reflection of some of his own experiences
In the former, the wanderer Knut Pedersen leaves behind hi
Ole

"My fellow neurasthenics, we are poor human beings and not much use, either, as any kind of beast.
One day, I suppose, I shall weary of staying unconcious any longer, then I shall make my way once more to an island."

This book is quite strange.

There are some truly great passages in this book. About wandering, nature, growing old... About us humans. Our relations to work, toil, cultivation practices, and of ingenuity.This mixed with prose, written by a master-craftsman. Hamsun is great.

But then; t
Konserve Ruhlar
Üç kitaptan oluşan romanda ana kahraman aynıdır. Knut Hamsun'un kendisi olarak yorumlanan kahraman 50'li yaşlarında hüzünlü, hiçbir yerde uzun süre kalamayan, kırlarda, doğal hayatta mutlu olarak içine kapanan, gittiği çiftliklerde ve kentlerde çevresindeki insanları ilgiyle izleyen biridir. Kahramanın gözlemlediği kadınlar genelde mutsuzdur. Evlilik kurumunun mutsuzluk getirdiği görünür. Norveç'in müthiş doğasını Knut Hamsun'un gözünden okumak kitaptaki en doyurucu nokta. İhtiyarlandıkça kendin ...more
Susan
I like to read Hamsun because he gives me insight into Norwegian culture and how people connect with nature. I understand that it is not one of his best works. I felt the book was really about the cultural/societal changes taking place in northern Europe in the early 1800's. The characters were symbolic of a cultural shift in attitudes; an end of the pioneer days moving into a more worldly global economy. A new horizon was unfolding. This was about how individuals and communities were feeling ab ...more
Ros
Dec 04, 2014 Ros marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This author was recommended with others by a Norwegian reader met on a train in Norway
Callum
A good book of traveling, interesting backwoods marital intrigue, and the efforts of a hard days work.
Deirdre S
My 4-star review for "The Wanderer" is really for the first section, "Under the Autumn Star" ("On Muted Strings" is fine but it's really just meant to resolve the relationship between Knut Pedersen and the Falkenburgs). The imagery of the protagonist wandering around a snowy Norwegian countryside, with the lights of the farmsteads shining through the autumn dusk, creates a peaceful atmosphere that is both nostalgic and - rather paradoxically - timeless.
David
“What one does must not be hopelessly at odds with what one is!”

“There’s a large theatrical element in all of us; we feel flattered at being taken for more than we are.”

“The very favor of receiving life at all is handsome advance payment for all life’s miseries, each single one.”

“I have no mission, no places I must visit; I am just a wanderer setting out from a logger’s cabin and coming back to it again; it makes no difference where I am.”
Owen
I love the way Hamsun writes, and I love the atmosphere of his novels. Unfortunately, the stories he tells are not always so interesting. In this book I strongly preferred the first story (about a man wandering about, doing work, acting selflessly, being intrigued by women) to the second, which is essentially a tragic romance that did not particularly stir my interest.
Zach
A great book describing a fascinating lifestyle and told with a vaguely Eastern feel, like a precursor to Siddhartha, rather than the typical European style popular at the time. I'd call it "On the Road" back when being "on the road" meant you'd probably die of exposure, but I can't stand "On the Road" and this, I enjoyed.
Josh Mings
It was a good story about a wanderer who doesn't settle down and how his life interweaves with others, but it is missing the charged inner thoughts of his first phase, and the exquisite representation of nature and nostalgia from his later phase. Still a good read.
Arne
Great prose. He clearly portrays the inner workings -- love, paranoia, indifference, etc. -- of people very well. I had read other reviews that called the second book "lyrical" and while I wouldn't necessarily disagree, I'd just call it true and beautiful.
jack
picked this up based on moe's review in xtra tuf zine. the story line was appealing to me, but it just was not moving very well. im unsure if it was the translation, but something about it just wasnt working. will give it another go later.
Grim-Anal King
Two patchy novels (or are they novellas Nigella?) in plot terms, but at times the prose offers transcendent simplicity. It leaves me wishing the protagonist had wandered more and observed human relationships a little less.
Else-birgitte Blichfeldt
Else-birgitte Blichfeldt marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Teresowa
Teresowa marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
E
E is currently reading it
Jul 28, 2015
Irmak
Irmak marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
taide
taide marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
  • The Dwarf
  • Essential English for Journalists, Editors and Writers
  • Niels Lyhne
  • World Light
  • Gösta Berling's Saga
  • A Madman's Manifesto
  • Jenny
  • Flowers of Evil and Other Works/Les Fleurs du Mal et Oeuvres Choisies : A Dual-Language Book (Dover Foreign Language Study Guides) (English and French Edition)
  • Castle to Castle
  • To Urania: Poems
  • The Book About Blanche and Marie
  • The Chevalier D'Harmental
  • The Old Man and His Sons
Awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1920 "for his monumental work, Growth of the Soil." He insisted that the intricacies of the human mind ought to be the main object of modern literature, to describe the "whisper of the blood, and the pleading of the bone marrow". Hamsun pursued his literary program, debuting in 1890 with the psychological novel Hunger.
More about Knut Hamsun...
Hunger Growth of the Soil Pan: From Lieutenant Thomas Glahn's Papers Mysteries Victoria