Start by marking “Frankie Pickle and the Pine Run 3000” as Want to Read:
Frankie Pickle and the Pine Run 3000

Frankie Pickle and the Pine Run 3000 (Frankie Pickle #2)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  521 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
Frankie Pickle returns for another imaginative adventure—drag racing! Well, not quite drag racing, but the Pine Run Derby for scouts. Frankie may not advance to the next rank with the rest of his troop if he doesn’t win the race. Frankie wants to do everything on his own and imagines himself as a mad scientist, a professional magician, and even a Greek sculptor completing ...more
Published February 9th 2010 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published January 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Frankie Pickle and the Pine Run 3000, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frankie Pickle and the Pine Run 3000

Miloš & Brontë
Sep 25, 2011 Miloš & Brontë rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pa
Pa: Shoot.

Miloš: What?

Pa: I mean go.

Miloš: Oh. Um ... I don't know. So the dog, Argyle, they didn't make it right how the dog can stand up and cheer for his owner when he wins a race, jump and down and be smart enough to wake up just before someone trips on him. No way.

Pa: Isn't it just pretend?

Miloš: Yeah, but I like the book.

Pa: You're just bitter about Argyle.

Miloš: No, the dog's cool. I like how on the back Frankie says: "Reality is for grown-ups." And all these cool clothes on him are in hi
Brad
I can't believe I am saying this about anything for kids, but I thought Frankie Pickle and the Pine Run 3000 was too focused, too one-track, not frenetic enough.

I know, I know, our fragmented culture is turning enough of our kids into ADHD pill poppers, but once in a while certain stories and characters need to be free to shift and shift and shift again. Frankie Pickle is one of those characters.

What I loved about The Closet of Doom was that Frankie bounced around from his Indiana Jones homage
Donalyn
Mar 18, 2010 Donalyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I unabashedly adore Frankie Pickle and I don't care who knows it. In this installment, Frankie must build a car and win the Pine Run 3000 in order to advance in Possum Scouts.
Sarah W
Apr 08, 2011 Sarah W rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Frankie does not receive his knot-tying badge with the other Possum scouts in his troop, he is doomed to remain a Pygmie while the others will become Shrews the next session. He begs his troop leader, otherwise known as his mom, to advance with the others, but she sticks to the rules. He can't advance until he completes another badge at a troop meeting, a month away.

At least that's what Frankie thinks until his Dad mentions the Pine Run 3000. The winner would net five points. Racing to the
Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: Next in the series, read aloud to my son.

Summary: Frankie Pickle is the only member of his Possum Scout group who didn't earn enough points to move up to the next level so he decides to participate in the annual model car derby. If he can win he will earn enough points to move up with everyone else.

Comments: My son is really enjoying Frankie Pickle! Being a cub scout himself and participating each year in the cub car rally, he knew exactly what Frankie was facing. He laughed
Chris
Frankie Piccolini knows how to find adventure in even the most mundane aspect of everyday life. Nothing is too ordinary or boring for his imagination to spice up with scenarios that might find him as a stage magician, sculptor, race car driver, mad scientist, superhero, or just about anything else. Each time his imagination takes him out of reality and into fantasy, the text on the page is replaced with graphic novel style images and word bubbles.

The Pine Run 3000 is a pinewood model car race Fr
Sarah Sammis
Mar 05, 2010 Sarah Sammis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Frankie Pickle and the Pine Run 3000 by Eric Wight is the second book in this series of chapter book / graphic novel hybrids. The first in the series was short listed in the Cybil's last year. That's how my son and I first came across the series.

This time Frankie needs only a handful of points to move up to the next level in scouts. Since he didn't complete the knot tying badge his only other option is to win the Pine Run 3000, a model car race held once a year.

Plot wise the book is very similar
Jill
I gave this one 4 stars not because I particularly enjoyed it (not my style, although very fun) but because I think it will be a hit with kids, especially boys and might even be a good recommend for those reluctant readers.

Booktalk:

If a chapter book and comic book collided, Frankie Pickle by Eric Wight is what you would end up with. While there are more Frankie Pickle adventures, in this one he must win the Pine Derby race in order to get enough points to advance to the next level with the rest
The Styling Librarian
What a fabulous combination of pictures to words! Frankie Pickle Series: What a hilarious book series! Perfect for me to refer Bad Kitty fans to in addition to any boy who is ready to move from reading graphic novels to early chapter books or vice versa. I’m excited about this series since it has wonderful illustrations, is entertaining, and easy for a fun read aloud. Plus there are a number of other fun early chapter book series I can think of that I could refer my students to if they like it!
Dona
Jan 24, 2012 Dona rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: junior-fiction
My 8 year-old sons first pinewood derby is coming up on Saturday so this was a particularly good time to read Frankie Pickle and the Pinerun 3000. It was a short, fast read-aloud that left him asking for "just one more chapter" and since they were short and fast chapters, and because I wanted to know how things turned out for our hero, Frankie, I obliged. We read the whole book in two evenings along with several picture books and now I have been instructed to seek out other Frankie Pickle chapte ...more
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Eric Wight achieves the perfect balance of comic book to early chapter book that really works. You find yourself really liking Frankie and nodding your head at both what he gets himself into as well as his dreams/thoughts. In this book, Frankie misses his chance to move up in his scouts troop and needs to fall back on a different plan. And he learns some lessons the hard way. Can't wait for third book.
Marilee Haynes
Sep 08, 2013 Marilee Haynes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After flipping through this book on a trip to the library, I couldn't wait to introduce my six-year-old son to Frankie Pickle. He LOVED this book and has since read the rest of the books in the series. Frankie Pickle is adorable and his adventures are fun to follow as well as easy for kids to relate to. I highly recommend these books as either read-alongs or chapter books for the young, confident reader from 1st to 3rd grade.
Raya Fagg
Feb 13, 2011 Raya Fagg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: family-reading
Like the Secret Life of Walter Mitty with a graphic novel twist, Frankie Pickles is a young boy who finds it difficult to concentrate and has an out of this world imagination. A hybrid of novel and manga, this is a delightful book for Cub Scouts, young readers and moms. Not difficult to read, this is wonderful look at a kid with 'challenges' and his understanding family.
Kristen
Finally, finally, a gentle read that will appeal to reluctant readers who don't want to read about girls! Thank you, Eric Wight! This is perfect for a very sensitive or very young kid who wants to be reading a chapter book but can't actually handle a lot of the adventure stories he says he wants to read.
Jen
Jun 06, 2011 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Frankie is a member of the Possum Scouts and when he fails at his knot tying, he's unavailable to move up in the Possum Scout ranks...until he finds out about the Pine Run 3000 from his dad! This book was a perfect book for me to read to my 4 year old boy: a great mixture of story and illustrations. He really liked this book and wants to read others in the series! Go, Frankie, go!
Donna
May 18, 2010 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Second story has just as much entertainment as the first. These books have lots of references for parents (Speed Racer being the obvious one in many of the graphics), but the focus remains firmly on its intended audience of kids, which keeps them fun and charming. This one will be a favorite of Scouts.
Brenda
Mar 17, 2010 Brenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Finding a book that really appeals to boys is a great find. Eric Wight certainly delivers in his second installment in the series. The only reason I gave this one a 4/5 was because I really loved the Frankie Pickle and the Closet of Doom the best. The drawings are wonderful and really entertaining. Can't wait to see the next book!
Maggie
I love Frankie Pickle. The stories are a great mix of traditional narrative and graphic novel, the plot in this installment is straightforward and easy for kids to follow, and itincludes several important messages.
Jack
Mar 09, 2014 Jack rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this book Frankie enters the Pine Run 3000. Before he even races his car breaks because he didn't build his car with his Dad. Then Frankie decides to build his car with his dad and he got 2nd place in the Pine Run 3000!
StorySnoops
May 26, 2011 StorySnoops rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book/series for that beginning or reluctant reader who is just starting to read chapter books on his/her own. Funny and creative, Frankie's adventures and the cool classic comic book-style illustrations ...(click for the full review http://storysnoops.com/detail.php?id=...).
Tina
Sep 30, 2010 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it, chapter-books
I enjoyed reading this to my 4 and 5 year old boys. They adored it! I even caught them playing around pretending to be Frankie Pickle. The story switches between chapter style and a little comic book style. The comic is to depict Frankie's imagination, it was fun.
Lincoln
Mar 09, 2015 Lincoln rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome!
Laura5
Jul 31, 2011 Laura5 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Go forth with your awesomeness."
Catherine
Oct 16, 2012 Catherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A winning combination of early chapter book and graphic novel.
Aug 15, 2015 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first Frankie Pickle book, and I liked the chapter book/graphic novel combination. It is a good match for younger advanced readers.
Ian
Jun 28, 2013 Ian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i was pretty cool when he won the first round!
Jess
Jun 04, 2014 Jess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute read.
Kristen
Dec 19, 2009 Kristen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't think it was possible, but this book is even more incredible than the first. It is action packed at every turn and the hobby shop goes down in history! Must read!!!
  • Game On! (Squish, #5)
  • Zig and Wikki in Something Ate My Homework
  • Attack of the Ninja Frogs (Dragonbreath, #2)
  • Fangbone! Third-Grade Barbarian
  • Lunch Lady and the Mutant Mathletes (Lunch Lady, #7)
  • The Flying Beaver Brothers and the Fishy Business
  • The Battling Bands (Knights of the Lunch Table, #3)
  • The Ferret's a Foot
Eric Wight is the author and illustrator of FRANKIE PICKLE, a new chapter book series published by Simon & Schuster. Prior to that, he was an animator for almost ten years for such companies as Walt Disney, Warner Bros., and Cartoon Network. Wight's comic book adaptation of the AMAZING ADVENTURES OF KAVALIER AND CLAY helped garner both the Harvey and Eisner Awards for Best Anthology, as well a ...more
More about Eric Wight...

Frankie Pickle (5 books)
  • Frankie Pickle and the Closet of Doom (Frankie Pickle, #1)
  • Frankie Pickle and the Mathematical Menace (Frankie Pickle, #3)
  • Frankie Pickle and the Land of the Lost Recess (Frankie Pickle, #4)
  • Frankie Pickle and the Invasion of the Polka Dots (Frankie Pickle, #5)