Star Trek The Next Generation #10

Star Trek The Next Generation #10 (Star Trek: The Next Generation #10)

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  988 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Under the best circumstances, terraforming is a tough, dangerous task that pits the hardiest of pioneers against an unforgiving environment. When the terraformers on the planet Paradise fall behind schedule, commander Riker is given temporary leave from the U.S.S. "Enterprise"(TM) and sent to assist. Riker's replacement on the Starship "Enterprise" is a volatile officer na...more
Published September 22nd 2000 by Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing (first published 1989)

Kati
A Star Trek: The Next Generation tie-in. And I loved it! Peter David is an amazing writer and I love his ST books! Most male authors - especially those writing tie-ins - don't really "get" female characters or they write the emotional side of the characters wrong, just wrong or they completely omit it - but not Peter David. You can literally feel the characters the way he writes them. There's action and emotions and fun and suspense in this book, Peter David just gets it right. Also, a big part...more
Camille
Riker is sent to a terraforma planet to check on their status, his replacement, Quintin Stone, might be insane (even though he beat the Kobayashi Maru Simulation without cheating during Starfleet Academy), Troi is doing her Troi thing (feeling stuff) and we meet Wild Things (cannibal wolf like animals).

All and all it was another good read from Peter David. He is my favorite Star Trek TNG author because his story-lines are always intriguing, characters interesting and genuine humor throughout th...more
Heather Domin
This was one of my favorite TNG books when I was a teenager (the danger! the angst! the psychic hotline of love!), but at 36 I can see things I couldn't see at 13. The main one is Stone: he's supposed to be an intriguingly damaged loner, a pre-DS9 mirror to the dark spots in the Federation, and as a teenager I was *all* about that - now he mostly comes across as sociopathic time bomb and general creeper. (Both Deanna and Beverly are ~strangely drawn to him~ after he creeps on them. Gross.) Also,...more
Mario
This review originally appeared on my blog, Shared Universe Reviews.

This is the second Star Trek book Peter David’s ever written and it’s the second one I’ve ever read. It was good but not as good as the first outing. I have to say I’m glad this wasn’t the first Peter David Star Trek novel I’ve read because I might not have read another one so soon. There is a lot to like about this book and one of them was to see how Pater David is getting comfortable writing about the crew of the Enterprise...more
William Johnson
The Grand Star Trek Book Review #2: A Rock and a Hard Place (TNG #10)

Peter David pretty reliable but, like most of TNG's early books or early episodes, the going is bumpy with patches of promise. I like David a lot and his Star Trek series New Frontier was, at least for awhile, a marvelous book series.

David even says one of the characters in A Rock and Hard Place morphed into Captain Calhoun from the New Frontier series so you got that.

Riker is one of my favorite characters so a book about him...more
alissa
I'm a sucker for any story focusing on Riker or Troi so I liked this as much as I thought I would. It was decently written, which can't be said for all Star Trek books. I will say that Stone was possibly the most annoying character in the history of fictional characters. I'm not sure If I was supposed to sympathise with him at the end or reach an understanding? I didn't do either regardless. He was reckless and disrespectful and frankly a complete tool. I would have kicked his a** out of Starfle...more
Steven
Lovisa
So interesting! It's like a darker TNG-episode but with the horror dialed up. It's like... what if Wesley really had been executed because he stepped over the line when he fell into that green house? What kind of episode would that have become then? This book is not shying away from the gore of starfleet (it is partly a military organization after all) and there's an uncomfortable feeling just oozing out of the book and it's pretty neat. Stone is a perfect OC, so complex but you still don't know...more
Martijn Hartman-maatman
Not bad actually, quite an entertaining story. But Commander Stone needs a bit more background.
Travis
Peter David tries for a more serious Trek book with mixed results.
The character of Stone is used to show some of the grey area of the Federation and how Star fleet personel are always finding loop holes in the Prime Directive, but he comes across as some kind of whack job.
He's not terribly sympathetic, so his views don't come across as strongly, because you're not sure how stable he is. Do you root for him or hope he gets the psychiatric care he obviously leads?

You can see what Peter is trying...more
John Ryan
One of the first Star Trek books ever read. Brilliant.
Nenangs
Star Trek TNG was one of my favourite TV series.

"People are only nervous about something they don't fully understand.", " It was onlyu a few centuries ago that, if there was something unknown, humans would automatically deal with it in one of three ways: KILL IT, POLLUTE IT, or TRY TO MAKE MONEY FROM IT."

dr. Beverly Crusher
Medical Officer of U.S.S Enterprise

Easy reading...I really liked it..:)
Daniel Kukwa
A great way to put the overly-civil TNG crew on edge is to throw someone or something at them which completely shakes up their cozy status quo. Peter David manages this with a guest character that sets everyone's teeth on edge...and forces the reader to make some surprising re-evaluations of our hero crew members. Only the disposable Riker-in-alien-Alaska B-plot keeps this novel from total greatness.
Sandy
These books are like a Sci-Fi version of a Harlequin romance. Easy to read with interesting but uncomplicated plots. If you watched the TV show the books will feel familiar - with the same characters and stories similar to a show episode. If you like Star Trek or even sci-fi stories in general these books are great for a light read or a pool or beach day.
Dark-Draco
I think this is one of the best ST novels I have read for a while. The story was great, but I did end up wanting to smack Stone in the mouth; how dare he talk like that to Picard! The stuff between Deanna and Riker was a bit sappy - I don't remember it getting that bad in the series - but otherwise I thought this would have made an excellent episode.
Jeff
I read all these "Next Generation" books in middle school/early high school. Even then I thought most of them were pretty bad (and I remember this one being particularly bad). But I'm a completist so they must be included in my book list!
Angela
A decent book focusing on Riker and Troi. The interesting parts are all to do with the new officer who joins the Enterprise, and how the crew react to him. The writing by Peter David is spot on for character.
Michael
A very enjoyable book. It is suspenseful, with a good bit of humor. It's not deep, and it asks (or begs) questions that it doesn't answer, but that doesn't make the book less enjoyable.
Jeff
I don't remember much about this book except for the character of Commander Stone and his scathing critique of the Prime Directive, which is the principal reason I liked it.
Darla Stokes
Quick, engaging read, but I'm really not a fan of books written about TV shows. Plus, this was mostly about Riker, probably my least favorite character from ST:TNG.
John
And I repeat, Peter David is simply one of the best ST writers out there (and in reality he writes a LOT more than just ST). This book was excellent.
Benjamin Plume
My favorite of the numbered standalone NextGen books so far. My only criticism is that I don't think David has Worf/Klingon customs quite right in this novel.
Hannah
I so need to re-read these. I remember liking them, but almost nothing else about them.
N. Eric
Best Trek character in the replacement first officer.
Poli
First Peter David book. Love his style. Love his work.
Jeremy
Felt like it was written by a young adult author.
JJ
JJ marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
  • Masks (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #7)
  • Perchance to Dream (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #19)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • Survivors (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #4)
  • A Call to Darkness (Star Trek: The Next Generation #9)
  • The Eyes of the Beholders (Star Trek The Next Generation, #13)
  • Spartacus (Star Trek: The Next Generation #20)
  • Gulliver's Fugitives (Star Trek Next Generation #11)
  • Chains of Command (Star Trek: The Next Generation #21)
  • The Peacekeepers (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
  • The Children of Hamlin (Star Trek: The Next  Generation, #3)
  • Imbalance (Star Trek: The Next Generation #22)
  • Grounded (Star Trek: The Next Generation #25)
  • Debtors' Planet (Star Trek: The Next Generation #30)
  • Balance of Power (Star Trek: The Next Generation #33)
  • Boogeymen (Star Trek: The Next Generation #17)
  • Guises of the Mind (Star Trek: The Next Generation #27)
  • The Romulan Stratagem (Star Trek The Next Generation,#35)
aka David Peters

Peter Allen David (often abbreviated PAD) is an American writer, best known for his work in comic books and Star Trek novels. David often jokingly describes his occupation as "Writer of Stuff". David is noted for his prolific writing, characterized by its mingling of real world issues with humor and references to popular culture. He also uses metafiction frequently, usually to humo...more
More about Peter David...
The Dark Tower, Volume 1: The Gunslinger Born Imzadi (Star Trek the Next Generation) Q-Squared Q-In-Law (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #18) X-Factor: The Longest Night