Start by marking “Junkyard Dogs (Walt Longmire, #6)” as Want to Read:
Junkyard Dogs (Walt Longmire, #6)

Junkyard Dogs (Walt Longmire #6)

4.26  ·  Rating Details ·  7,447 Ratings  ·  641 Reviews
From the" New York Times "bestselling author of "The Cold Dish "and "As the Crow Flies," a modern-day range war in the sixth novel in the Walt Longmire Mystery Series, the basis for "LONGMIRE," the hit A&E original drama series
"Junkyard Dogs," the sixth installment in the "New York Times "bestselling Walt Longmire mystery series, the basis for "LONGMIRE," the hit A&am
Published May 1st 2010 by Penguin Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Junkyard Dogs, please sign up.

C. Hi Paige, You can probably tell that I don't answer many posts at this site, but 'goodreads' kept pestering me to comment about "Junkyard Dogs" so…moreHi Paige, You can probably tell that I don't answer many posts at this site, but 'goodreads' kept pestering me to comment about "Junkyard Dogs" so here I am, finally responding and answering your inquiry. No, I haven't read the books in order, but that didn't make me like the entire series any less. The first one I read was "Death Without Company" then I was hooked. I really enjoy reading of the West and its many spectacular geographic sites. Of coarse Johnson's character development is some of the best I've encountered. Walt Longmire, to me, is a regular guy who knows how to be true and honest to himself and others. Johnson's addition of humor, and other human emotions is so well crafted that when you finish one book you must read another. Now, if you get this message, tell more about what you enjoy reading that we have in common. Right now I'm re-reading "Bluebeard" by Kurt Vonnegut, very fun. John C.(less)

Carol.
Nov 30, 2014 Carol. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Longmire, Wyoming, junkyards
So, I'm kind of over-indulging in books during winter break. Safe to say that this Walt Longmire is better than the prior. Nice small-town atmosphere, nice characterization, funny threads of humor. Kind of sad, however, to see Walt outwitted rather frequently. At least Henry knows the score.

Updated review (because I'm just that ocd about reviewing):

The sixth book in the series featuring Sheriff Walt Longmire is a lot of fun, and brings life back into the Longmire series. It has to be hard being
Algernon
Dec 23, 2013 Algernon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013

I was afraid the Walt Longmire series was losing steam after book four experimented with extensive flashbacks from the Vietnam war and book five experimented with new locations and new characters. Both no. 4 and no. 5 focused almost exclusively on Walt, not a bad thing in itself, but I missed the rest of the team from the Absaroka County Sheriff Department. And I missed the lighter tone, the jokes, the sarcasm and the easy friendship between the Sheriff and his deputies. Luckily for me and for m
Carol
Apr 27, 2015 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, series
The Hook - The cover alone influenced me to read this book. Add that it’s the sixth in the first-rate Sheriff Walt Longmire Mystery Series and I found a way to spend an easy reading day.

”description/

The Line”To each man, his own paradise.”

The Sinker – It’s a godawful winter in Absaroka County Wyoming, worse than the winter we just experienced in the East, if you need a picture. 2 weeks of deep-freezing temps with no hint of a reprieve. No wonder the Sheriff is a bit grumpy. His mood is going to get worse
Mark
Feb 17, 2016 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the better western/police story
Recommended to Mark by: The TV show.
Another tale of Walt Longmire and his deputies this time concerning a dynasty of Junkyard proprietors. When longmire gets involved it is all an accident which quickly turns into the next situation that involves some more violence, followed by a fatal encounter that takes a live. Add a jailbreak ending in murder and you'll find that Sheriff Waltmire has his hands full with a murder investigation while the physical damage to his body finally catches up with him.

His Deputies are restless and unhapp
LJ
First Sentence: I tried to get a straight answer from his grandson and granddaughter-in-law as to why their grandfather had been tied with a hundred feet of nylon rope to the rear bumper of the 1968 Oldsmobile Tornado.

It begins with a severed thumb found within a Styrofoam cooler at the junkyard. Sheriff Walt Longmire decides this might be a way to re-spark the drive in his bullet-shy deputy, Santiago Saizarbitoria. Little did Walt know that thumb would lead to murders, drugs, kidnapping and fam
Nikki
Junkyard Dogs turned out to be a different book than I was expecting, especially since it won the Best Sidekick award at the Left Coast Crime conference. Sheriff Walt Longmire needs all his sidekicks -- Deputies Vic Moretti and Sancho Saizarbitoria, mentor Lucian Connally, his friend Henry Standing Bear, and his dog Dog -- to solve the convoluted mystery in Junkyard Dogs.

What I liked best about this book was that the villains were not obvious from their personalities and actions. I kept being s
Jacqueline
Dec 28, 2016 Jacqueline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Listened to the audio version. I really enjoy this narrator. While I like the show, I really think I like the books better. Walt is a more grounded person in the novels and CJ has a better handle on his character than the tv writers do. This was amusing in parts and I love Walt's inner voice. Yup, totally prefer the books. Sorry, lovely tv show.
Ed
Jan 03, 2011 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This entertaining mystery gave me three nights of pleasure. I'd read an earlier title in the series, so Walt Longmire, the sheriff of a Wyoming town, wasn't a stranger to me. Battered and bruised, the big man Walt has trouble with his vision, an ailment not to dismiss lightly. Several murders crop up after a severed thumb is discovered inside of an ice cooler at the local landfill. Walt is a full-rounded, great character (I especially like the mannerisms the author uses) with a wry sense of humo ...more
Michael
Feb 09, 2014 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, detective, 2014
The last two Walt Longmire books were both really disappointing. The series featuring the aging Sheriff seemed to be stalling with two books pretty much self sabotaged by Craig Johnson. At least I assume it was him and not the result of some very poor editorial advice probably connected to pacing. Both books were completely ruined by being told in flashback and featured only minimal appearances of the regular cast of characters. But Junkyard Dogs sees a welcome return of the old, slow burn style ...more
Maria
Sep 11, 2013 Maria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western, mystery
Sheriff Walt Longmire is at it again, but thankfully this time the story is presented in a linear fashion. Please tell me that I’m not the only Longmire fan that is thrilled to escape the flashbacks! I’ve commented in previous reviews that it seems that Craig Johnson plays with a different storytelling convention in each book, and I think the theme this time is humor/comedy. Not that previous the books don’t have comedic elements; it just seems that this book really focuses on this element. Ther ...more
Suzy
I was excited to reconnect with Sheriff Walt Longmire in Craig Johnson's ongoing series of murder mysteries. I was not disappointed and Johnson was back in rare Longmire form in The Junkyard Dogs. I remarked in the last book, The Dark Horse that I missed his regular cast of deputies and his longtime pal Henry Standing Bear, aka The Cheyenne Nation. Vick, Ruby, Henry, Lucien and other regulars were very much present in this story of a murder committed in the locale of the title, Durant's local ju ...more
Suspense Magazine
May 10, 2010 Suspense Magazine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It takes a lot to make me laugh out loud and “Junkyard Dogs” with its quirky cast of characters and oddball situations, really caught me off guard. Though well into the Walt Longmire series, anyone picking up “Junkyard Dogs” as a first look into the world of Johnson’s work, would never notice.

Outsiders would imagine living in Absaroka County, Wyoming would be pretty damn peaceful. A quaint, small town with a slower pace; where you know your neighbors and people get along purely because there ar
Trish
Feb 28, 2011 Trish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Craig Johnson's books, read by George Guidall, have something of the wise old dad about them. No matter that Walt Longmire, sheriff of Wyoming's Absaroka County, is not so old he doesn't lust after his deputy, the apple-assed Vic Moretti. That just makes him more of a man. And man he is. Bearing all manner of physical insult, he comes out on top once again, chasing his quarry through an 18" snowstorm high in the hills surrounding Red Lodge, Montana.

The ridiculous nature of the events that set o
Mark Stevens
Nov 17, 2011 Mark Stevens rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one is a smile waiting to happen. Walt Longmire is bewildered but doesn’t judge. He views his crew with mild amusement. He’s a sheriff with a real-world understanding of the endless variety of human beings that could run through his life and run through Absaroka County and, well, ruin his day. He doesn't really care. He just wants to keep order.

Johnson is right there with Tony Hillerman. Like Hillerman, there is mystery but the suspense-factor needle never runs in the red zone. This makes f
Yvonne
Jan 18, 2016 Yvonne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western-mystery
Walt and all his side-kicks are back in this one and in fine form.
The mystery wasn't overly taxing on the brain, but "watching" the good guys solve the ins and outs of the crime was fun.

I'm going to be awfully sad when I reach the end of this series, which is fast approaching!

OK - on to #7.

Koeeoaddi
Funny and fast paced, with a hilariously trashy family at the center of things and Vic at her creatively profane best. Most fun of the Longmire books, in my opinion.
Harry

Update:
Junkyard dogs takes a look at the growing tension between Walt and Sancho...ties it in with Sancho's prison guard past, and puts Walt squarely in the face of a drug operation running beneath his nose. Every novel it seems has a beast that has it in for Walt; and in this one, we meet Sundance...a wolf hound. Great stuff...reading these novels like pop-corn.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Craig Johnson has written nine novels in his Walt Longmire series. F
Sean Little
May 17, 2010 Sean Little rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After forcing Walt Longmire into an unfamiliar town for the duration of The Dark Horse, Craig Johnson returns his beloved sheriff to Absaroka County, Wyoming for Junkyard Dogs, a novel that brings back the outlandish characters and intricately plotted mystery that Johnson does best.

A severed thumb is discovered in a junkyard and that thumb leads to murder. While Walt is unraveling this, he also has to deal with octogenarian romance, a deputy who has gone gun-shy and wants to resign, a second-in-
Debbie
May 27, 2010 Debbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
"Junkyard Dogs" is a humorous mystery novel. The first third of the novel was set-up and had more of a general fiction flavor. After the first murder, though, it turned into a fast-paced mystery. The characters were interesting and quirky. The world-building was good. The author avoided my even considering to question "would police really do that?" by having his Sheriff play fast and loose with the rules (much to the dismay of the other characters).

While this was a who-done-it type mystery, the
Patty
Jun 02, 2010 Patty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Craig Johnson and Walt Longmire are two of my favorite men. Craig because he writes so well, and Walt because Craig writes him so well!

This is the sixth Walt Longmire book so starting to read one is like a chance to visit with good friends. Walt is smart and funny and so real you feel like you know him personally, Vic is her normal snarky self but there is a heart of gold behind those mouthy defenses, and the rest of the cast is there in their supporting roles. Not as much Henry Standing Bear as
Susan
The Wyoming winter is going full scale with temperatures dropping way below zero, freezing even your breath, burrrr. Walt and the gang are on the case trying to find out who is behind multiple murders that started when Walt an Vic found a huge underground crop of pot plants.

Another great one in the series which is no surprise. Craig Johnson is the best at coming up with fascinating co-characters to support the returning cast. In every book the new characters are so classically authentic, it mak
Ellen
Aug 02, 2016 Ellen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Junkyard Dogs by Craig Johnson.

This was the 6th in the Walt Longmire series and my first in the series and by this author.

The enjoyment I experienced listening to this mystery on CD narrated/performed by George Guidall came as a pleasant surprise. Just another afternoon browsing the shelves at the public library and trying out a new author & series. I have happily added this series to my agenda of good read mysteries. One reason-I like the characters and laughed out loud with the humor that
Marge
I was able to meet Craig Johnson at our library a couple weeks ago. He is a wonderful speaker, as wry and funny as he writes, and he entertained us for over an hour.

At the end of his talk I got his latest book, The Highwayman autographed and I HAD to ask him about the incident that opens this book. I said it was so crazy and funny that I wondered if it had really happened. I could almost hear Walt in his voice when he replied, "Yes. It did." He went on to say that he'd planned to write a more se
Michelle
Feb 02, 2015 Michelle rated it really liked it
This is one of my favorite series. I love Walt and Henry so much! Both are great characters: complex, loyal, and funny.

This one keeps us close to home, with Walt investigating an accident, family conflicts, and murders. Absaroka County is a tough place to live, for sure. All of our favorites are back in this one: Sancho, Lucien, Vic, and Dog. What starts out as a family feud quickly escalates into a much larger conspiracy, and I had no idea whodunnit until it was spelled out to me, in typical J
Thomas
Aug 21, 2015 Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: us-rural-crime
This is another entertaining book from Craig Johnson, whose books mix humor with crime on the high plains of Wyoming. Walt Longmire is the Sheriff of fictional Absaroka county and has a small department to cover a large, sparsely populated county. This book starts with a severed thumb, found in a cooler in a junkyard. Some people then get murdered and Walt and his deputies try to find out who is the murderer. There are some laugh out lines in this book. I rate it a solid 4 out of 5 stars.
Two quo
Eric_W
This is the sixth or seventh Longmire book I’ve read and it has the most delightful beginning. I won’t explain other than to drop a few hints: a rope, cleaning a chimney, a bumper, a 72-year-old, lots of snow, and waving while going down the street.

The plot of the book is nothing special but the relationship between the characters is. That’s what makes these books. You get to know and like them.

The ending has a certain slapstick quality to it even as the violence escalates. Good series. I sugges
Colleen
Oct 24, 2015 Colleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This is one of my favorite series and I am enjoying each installment. The deputies are back in this one, and with them the snark and banter I'd been missing offset with gruff affection and heartfelt concern. It's also bitterly cold out, helping set a dark tone that intensifies the hunt for whodunit. The connections between characters are curious in a way small towns can be.
Sandi
A bit lighter than the previous books in the series with lots of quirky characters and some pretty far out situations. The Wyoming winter setting was bone chilling and the narration of the audio, by George Guidall, was topnotch.
Brian
Mar 02, 2010 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is book six in the award-winning series featuring Sheriff Walt Longmire. I love the setting, characters, dialog and mystery. Simply a well-done set of novels in a part of the country I love to visit.
Momof3-in an Ash and Cael sandwich
5 stars, my absolute favorite of the series! I loved everything about this one. The humor was perfection, the whole situation with Sancho was fantastic...Vic is irritating, but I've accepted it. Love the series, will definitely continue.
  • Out Of Range (Joe Pickett, #5)
  • A Discount for Death (Posadas County Mystery, #2)
  • Blood Hollow (Cork O'Connor, #4)
  • A Fatal Thaw (Kate Shugak, #2)
  • Free Fall (John Ceepak Mystery #8)
  • Wife of Moon (Wind River Reservation, #10)

Craig Johnson an American novelist, short story writer, and playwright. . He lives in Ucross, near Sheridan, Wyoming, population 25.

Johnson has written twelve novels featuring Sheriff Walt Longmire: The Cold Dish, Death Without Company, Kindness Goes Unpunished, Another Man's Moccasins, Junkyard Dogs, The Dark
More about Craig Johnson...

Walt Longmire (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Cold Dish (Walt Longmire, #1)
  • Death Without Company (Walt Longmire, #2)
  • Kindness Goes Unpunished (Walt Longmire, #3)
  • Another Man's Moccasins (Walt Longmire, #4)
  • The Dark Horse (Walt Longmire, #5)
  • Hell Is Empty (Walt Longmire, #7)
  • As The Crow Flies (Walt Longmire, #8)
  • A Serpent's Tooth (Walt Longmire, #9)
  • Any Other Name (Walt Longmire, #10)
  • Dry Bones (Walt Longmire, #11)

“She resembled Anna Karenina, the kind of woman that if you want to kill, you have to hit with a train.” 12 likes
“As your trusted Indian scout, it is important for me to warn you that you are now on perilously thin ice” 6 likes