Start by marking “Painkiller Ghosts” as Want to Read:
Painkiller Ghosts

Painkiller Ghosts

After his girlfriend’s death, 30-something-year-old Thymothy X Exler moves back home with his mother, Suzanne, to get stability, and then changes his name to Thyme. While out walking, Thyme witnesses a tragedy that changes the direction of his life. Meanwhile, Suzanne is stalked and threatened by a man she dated briefly and Thyme takes matters into his own hands, with kitc ...more
Published (first published March 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Painkiller Ghosts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Painkiller Ghosts

Andrew Willard
Jan 29, 2013 Andrew Willard rated it really liked it
Painkiller Ghosts is a fun, quick read, featuring a charismatic, rhythmic composition. The narration and dialogue seem a little jumpy at first, but the author's control and intent hold things together. Within each "book" of the novel, the sub-plots and character development are orchestrated and interwoven; the flow of the storyline is held back from slipping into stream of consciousness. This style takes a little time to get used to, but the humor and variety of characters and plot activity comp ...more
Clyde
May 21, 2014 Clyde rated it it was amazing
Harding's distinct prose has a peppering of lyricism that delivers a one-of-a-kind tone, one of gallows humor and resigned acceptance of bittersweet fate.
Clever uses of synesthetic language all throughout-- important, I thought, since the story flirts with non-romance-romance and supernatural themes.
A most fluid verbal Venn diagram of distinctly-hewn characters' lives: their loves, losses, darknesses...read as certain jagged shards of their realities assemble and become complex, unique hope.
Brittany
Oct 11, 2016 Brittany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Wow! Holy Cow, this book was good! I devoured this book in one sitting. This is a must read book by an author who I now consider one of my favorites! His writing style is so different from any other author, and I loved it for that! Now please excuse me while I go read it again.
Patricia Zashkoff
Nov 20, 2016 Patricia Zashkoff rated it liked it
Interesting concept about how seeing ghosts can be therapeutic and ease your pain. This is the story of Thymothy (Thyme) whose girlfriend and dog have died. He moves back in with his mother and thinks he sees his girlfriend and hears his dog's tags jingling. His mother tells him that they are painkiller ghosts. He finds some comfort in this. He gets involved with a girl who has problems of her own. Her boyfriend committed suicide and she accidentally shoots Thyme. He recovers and becomes her fr ...more
Mike Shaw
Feb 25, 2014 Mike Shaw rated it really liked it
This is an excellent fast paced read with characters and subplots that draw you in and keep you connected. At first the writing style may seem a bit quirky, but hang in there, because Harding ties it all together in a neat little package...waiting for the new book soon!
Stacy Ericson
May 09, 2014 Stacy Ericson rated it really liked it
This book is great. Tough to follow at first, but everything ties together and makes sense. I actually enjoy the style of writing, it's different and unique. Looking forward to his next book! I can't wait until it's released!!
Christina
Nov 05, 2010 Christina rated it liked it
Shelves: bostick
A haunting tale of several lives intertwined into one unbelievable story. Well told, suspenseful. Great character development. Will keep the reader up late into the evening to find out what happens next. Some subject matter may be disturbing to some readers.
Babs
Nov 01, 2010 Babs rated it it was amazing
I was very surprised how well this book was. Thyme and Chastity are great characters along with a few more that keep your engrossed in the book. With so many thrills and mystery there is something for everyone.
Dayna
Jan 31, 2017 Dayna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While these are not the type of characters I would normally seek out in a novel, the narrative style kept my interest. I do hope Chastity uses her tag line less in the movie version or at least has more variety. I received this in a Goodread's giveaway, for which I'm very grateful. These giveaways, including those I don't win, always expose me to works I otherwise would never have known to look out for.
Tina  Roper
Nov 28, 2016 Tina Roper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
I received this book through a goodreads giveaway, and man, am I happy I won! This is unlike anything I've ever read but I was drawn into this book from the start and the main character had some experiences I can relate to (probably a good reason why I was drawn into it). I will definitely re-read this book!
Susan
Jan 21, 2017 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: misc-read
I won this book through Goodreads. Wow. Really entertaining. Lots of twists that keep you engaged and guessing until the very end. Loved it.
Krissy
I won this novel in a Goodreads giveaway, and I'm actually sad that I won it, as I didn't really enjoy it. I wish that it had been won by someone who would like it more.

The book was well written with a good story line, but I didn't really care about or like any of the characters, except for Linc, who was introduced very late in the book. I'm not sure if it was the author's aim to make most of the characters almost completely unlikable, or if they just rubbed me the wrong way. I guess I should ha
Kate Lawton
Kate Lawton rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2013
Meka
Meka rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2014
Robin Larkin
Robin Larkin rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2016
Dalesmainsqueezy
Dalesmainsqueezy rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2013
Lizfallon96 Fallon
Lizfallon96 Fallon rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2010
Charlene-Bill Kramer
Charlene-Bill Kramer rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2015
Bob
Bob rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2016
Jim Contoris
Jim Contoris rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2014
Jeniffer
Jeniffer rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2014
Heather Harding
Heather Harding rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2013
Laura rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2016
Ron Ferrara
Ron Ferrara rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2014
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2016
Moejoe10
Moejoe10 rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2015
Robin Larkin
Robin Larkin rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2014
Christian
Christian rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2012
Lace
Lace rated it did not like it
Jan 07, 2017
Drowning in Sand ebook giveaway 1 2 Oct 11, 2016 09:06AM
J. Marc Harding is the author of the novels Painkiller Ghosts (2010) and Drowning in Sand (2016). He is currently working on a novel titled Thymegeist. Marc lives in Richmond, VA. FoxDrive Media is developing a film adaptation of Painkiller Ghosts.
More about J. Marc Harding...