Start by marking “Portrait of Camelot: A Thousand Days in the Kennedy White House” as Want to Read:
Portrait of Camelot: A Thousand Days in the Kennedy White House

Portrait of Camelot: A Thousand Days in the Kennedy White House

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Published to commemorate the 50th anniversary of John F. Kennedy’s election as president of the United States, this book is a revealing and intimate portrait of a leader, husband, and father as seen through the lens of Cecil Stoughton, the first official White House photographer. Stoughton’s close rapport with the president and first lady gave him extraordinary access to t ...more
Published November 1st 2010 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Portrait of Camelot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Portrait of Camelot

Lynne Williams
This is a 'forever' book. Everyone remembers the moment and where they were when they heard that President Kennedy was killed. It changed the world. For the first time in history TV went to a 24 hour feed, we saw Jack Ruby shoot Oswald and Mrs. Kennedy flew home with the Johnson's, covered in blood. "I want them to see what they did."

What we later saw in Mrs. Kennedy was more than grace under pressure; she will always be America's First Lady. Thanks to Caroline Kennedy who released the book and
Liz
This was a beautiful book. It is hard not to like a book filled with wonderful pictures that tell the story of a time in history that is often overshadowed by the tragic event that it ended with. Portrait of Camelot brings to you a history of the Kennedy family through a very personal portrait. Presented chronologically, it tells the tale of not only a presidency but a nation that adored and also admired this family. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to get a taste of the Kennedy's ...more
Abdul
If a picture is worth a thousand words then this book is worth several million.

I really enjoyed reading this book and seeing the well laid out and thoughtful pictures the author chose to use. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to go back to the early sixties and experience the times in which this leader passed.

Overall well documented glimpse at the Kennedy years.
Brittany
I loved poring over the gorgeous pages of this coffee table book. The captions to the book were very informative both to the political background and on the personal lives, though I personally enjoyed the personal aspects best. So many of the photos are utterly timeless and all of them tell such rich stories.
Kimberly
This is a delightful book. Cecil Stoughton took some of the most beloved pictures of the Kennedy family, and they're all housed in this beautiful book. There are also many pictures I had never before seen, and I've read a lot of Kennedy books. The home-movie-style DVD is a great touch!
Julie Leggett
I would love to own this book. I have never seen such up close and personal photos. Especially, one particular photo of Jackie smoking while almost 9 months pregnant. You can even see the pack of Newport's next to her ashtray. It amazed me!
Melissa
Lots of great photos by Kennedy White House photographer Cecil Stoughton, many of which I hadn't seen before. A nice book to get you in the mood for the 50th anniversary of Kennedy's inauguration in 2011!
Terri
Worth the read for the DVD that comes with the book that is basically Kennedy Family Movies. Very nice book of the Kennedy era day to day.
Vshipp
Secretly it's a picture book, but it was amazing. I am on a quest to learn about Camelot.
Cynthia Friese-hassanein
Love this book. Enjoyable to pour over.
Corinna
Corinna marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Charlotte Gates
Charlotte Gates marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Cheyenne Bagans❤
Cheyenne Bagans❤ marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Julie R
Julie R marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
B.D. Crowell
B.D. Crowell marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Marina Burini
Marina Burini marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Arianna20
Arianna20 marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Richard Reeves, the bestselling author of such books as President Kennedy: Profile in Power, is an award-winning journalist who has worked for The New York Times, written for The New Yorker, and served as chief correspondent for Frontline on PBS. Currently the senior lecturer at the Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism at the University of Southern California, he lives in Los Angeles.
More about Richard Reeves...
President Kennedy: Profile of Power President Nixon: Alone in the White House Daring Young Men: The Heroism and Triumph of The Berlin Airlift-June 1948-May 1949 President Reagan: The Triumph of Imagination John Stuart Mill: Victorian Firebrand