Start by marking “Portrait of Camelot: A Thousand Days in the Kennedy White House (with DVD)” as Want to Read:
Portrait of Camelot: A Thousand Days in the Kennedy White House (with DVD)

Portrait of Camelot: A Thousand Days in the Kennedy White House (with DVD)

4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Published to commemorate the 50th anniversary of John F. Kennedy’s election as president of the United States, this book is a revealing and intimate portrait of a leader, husband, and father as seen through the lens of Cecil Stoughton, the first official White House photographer. Stoughton’s close rapport with the president and first lady gave him extraordinary access to t ...more
Published November 1st 2010 by Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Portrait of Camelot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Portrait of Camelot

Lynne Williams
This is a 'forever' book. Everyone remembers the moment and where they were when they heard that President Kennedy was killed. It changed the world. For the first time in history TV went to a 24 hour feed, we saw Jack Ruby shoot Oswald and Mrs. Kennedy flew home with the Johnson's, covered in blood. "I want them to see what they did."

What we later saw in Mrs. Kennedy was more than grace under pressure; she will always be America's First Lady. Thanks to Caroline Kennedy who released the book and
This was a beautiful book. It is hard not to like a book filled with wonderful pictures that tell the story of a time in history that is often overshadowed by the tragic event that it ended with. Portrait of Camelot brings to you a history of the Kennedy family through a very personal portrait. Presented chronologically, it tells the tale of not only a presidency but a nation that adored and also admired this family. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to get a taste of the Kennedy's ...more
If a picture is worth a thousand words then this book is worth several million.

I really enjoyed reading this book and seeing the well laid out and thoughtful pictures the author chose to use. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to go back to the early sixties and experience the times in which this leader passed.

Overall well documented glimpse at the Kennedy years.
I loved poring over the gorgeous pages of this coffee table book. The captions to the book were very informative both to the political background and on the personal lives, though I personally enjoyed the personal aspects best. So many of the photos are utterly timeless and all of them tell such rich stories.
This is a delightful book. Cecil Stoughton took some of the most beloved pictures of the Kennedy family, and they're all housed in this beautiful book. There are also many pictures I had never before seen, and I've read a lot of Kennedy books. The home-movie-style DVD is a great touch!
Julie Leggett
I would love to own this book. I have never seen such up close and personal photos. Especially, one particular photo of Jackie smoking while almost 9 months pregnant. You can even see the pack of Newport's next to her ashtray. It amazed me!
Lots of great photos by Kennedy White House photographer Cecil Stoughton, many of which I hadn't seen before. A nice book to get you in the mood for the 50th anniversary of Kennedy's inauguration in 2011!
Worth the read for the DVD that comes with the book that is basically Kennedy Family Movies. Very nice book of the Kennedy era day to day.
Secretly it's a picture book, but it was amazing. I am on a quest to learn about Camelot.
Cynthia Friese-hassanein
Love this book. Enjoyable to pour over.
kaleigh marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Sproietti marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Amanda Martin
Amanda Martin marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Jackie Dawson
Jackie Dawson marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Llmcgowan marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Jenni Vincent
Jenni Vincent marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Kklemencic marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Laurie added it
Jun 21, 2015
Ian Fairfield
Ian Fairfield marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Melissa marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Genia marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Jillian marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
meeschka marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Lindsey Garrison
Lindsey Garrison marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Richard Reeves, the bestselling author of such books as President Kennedy: Profile in Power, is an award-winning journalist who has worked for The New York Times, written for The New Yorker, and served as chief correspondent for Frontline on PBS. Currently the senior lecturer at the Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism at the University of Southern California, he lives in Los Angeles.
More about Richard Reeves...