Start by marking “The 50 Most Extreme Places in Our Solar System” as Want to Read:
The 50 Most Extreme Places in Our Solar System

The 50 Most Extreme Places in Our Solar System

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  20 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The extreme events that we hear about daily hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanic eruptions are extreme in purely human terms, in the devastation they do. But this book moves our understanding of the extreme into extraterrestrial dimensions and gives us an awe-inspiring sense of what our solar system at its utmost can do. Martian dust devils taller than Mount Eve ...more
Published September 1st 2010 by Belknap Press

To ask other readers questions about The 50 Most Extreme Places in Our Solar System, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 50 Most Extreme Places in Our Solar System

The solar system is vast, complex and surprising. This book is a great way to learn about it.

The volume includes a number of photos and illustrations. Readers learn of the sometimes planet-wide dust storms on Mars, a world containing a mountain that dwarfs Everest. They explore the icy rings of Saturn, the numerous moons of the outer planets, the enormous thermonuclear furnace that is our sun, the mystery of comets and asteroids, the environment at the distance edges of our solar system.

Some of
Stephen Cranney
Good book for getting kids excited about astronomy. Fun, readable, to-the-point.
Somewhat interesting! I'm not really into science, but picked this up because one of the authors (Todd Ratcliff) is originally from my hometown.

The authors tried to make this as interesting & hip as possible. Some things were very interesting -- the planets and how they are tilted on their axis, the relationship between the Earth and our moon, etc. Other things did not interest me so much -- the rings around Jupiter, etc.
Todd Martin
The 50 Most Extreme Places in Our Solar System is a beautifully produced book. It is replete with stunning full color photos and illustrations throughout and is laid out in a very artful way making it a joy just to look at. Each of the 50 topics is described in about 3-5 pages of clear and well written text. Although it doesn’t go into a lot of depth, the book is informative and fun.
Bob Gustafson
This is user-friendly tour of the solar system. Read it slowly, an entry per day at the fastest, and you'll always have something interesting that you can tell people you have found out about. This is a great gift for a teenager.
A great easily digestable book on our solar system. This book is easy to understand has short chapters and a lot pictures. Also the information presented was interesting. Great for high school students interested in science.
J. D.
This is an absorbing survey of the amazing phenomena within our solar
system. Perfect for the armchair traveller.
Awesome! The planets are violently active out there, all the time. It's like Yellowstone geysers, all the time!
Alia marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
Donald is currently reading it
Oct 28, 2015
Kim marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
KS marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Whit Preston
Whit Preston marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Samuel marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2013
Niraj added it
Apr 09, 2013
Toni Santos
Toni Santos marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2013
Hestia marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2013