Start by marking “The 50 Most Extreme Places in Our Solar System” as Want to Read:
The 50 Most Extreme Places in Our Solar System

The 50 Most Extreme Places in Our Solar System

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  21 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
The extreme events that we hear about daily hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanic eruptions are extreme in purely human terms, in the devastation they do. But this book moves our understanding of the extreme into extraterrestrial dimensions and gives us an awe-inspiring sense of what our solar system at its utmost can do. Martian dust devils taller than Mount Eve ...more
Published September 1st 2010 by Belknap Press

To ask other readers questions about The 50 Most Extreme Places in Our Solar System, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 50 Most Extreme Places in Our Solar System

Frank
Jun 28, 2013 Frank rated it really liked it
The solar system is vast, complex and surprising. This book is a great way to learn about it.

The volume includes a number of photos and illustrations. Readers learn of the sometimes planet-wide dust storms on Mars, a world containing a mountain that dwarfs Everest. They explore the icy rings of Saturn, the numerous moons of the outer planets, the enormous thermonuclear furnace that is our sun, the mystery of comets and asteroids, the environment at the distance edges of our solar system.

Some of
Stephen Cranney
Oct 05, 2014 Stephen Cranney rated it it was amazing
Good book for getting kids excited about astronomy. Fun, readable, to-the-point.
Amy
Oct 07, 2010 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Somewhat interesting! I'm not really into science, but picked this up because one of the authors (Todd Ratcliff) is originally from my hometown.

The authors tried to make this as interesting & hip as possible. Some things were very interesting -- the planets and how they are tilted on their axis, the relationship between the Earth and our moon, etc. Other things did not interest me so much -- the rings around Jupiter, etc.
Todd Martin
Jun 06, 2011 Todd Martin rated it it was amazing
The 50 Most Extreme Places in Our Solar System is a beautifully produced book. It is replete with stunning full color photos and illustrations throughout and is laid out in a very artful way making it a joy just to look at. Each of the 50 topics is described in about 3-5 pages of clear and well written text. Although it doesn’t go into a lot of depth, the book is informative and fun.
Bob Gustafson
Jan 14, 2013 Bob Gustafson rated it it was amazing
This is user-friendly tour of the solar system. Read it slowly, an entry per day at the fastest, and you'll always have something interesting that you can tell people you have found out about. This is a great gift for a teenager.
Jolene
Apr 15, 2011 Jolene rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-nonfic
A great easily digestable book on our solar system. This book is easy to understand has short chapters and a lot pictures. Also the information presented was interesting. Great for high school students interested in science.
J. D.
Dec 05, 2010 J. D. rated it it was amazing
This is an absorbing survey of the amazing phenomena within our solar
system. Perfect for the armchair traveller.
Shira
Nov 24, 2010 Shira rated it it was amazing
Awesome! The planets are violently active out there, all the time. It's like Yellowstone geysers, all the time!
Lauren Candia
Lauren Candia marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Kiana Ramirez
Kiana Ramirez is currently reading it
Jan 05, 2016
Dania
Dania rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2015
Justin Neo
Justin Neo marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2015
Alia
Alia marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
Donald
Donald marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Ben
Ben rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Nikki
Nikki rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2014
KS
KS marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Robert C.
Robert C. rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2014
Whit Preston
Whit Preston marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Mariko Goto
Mariko Goto rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2014
Amanda Helma
Amanda Helma rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2014
Zoffix Znet
Zoffix Znet rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2013