Start by marking “Need (Need, #1)” as Want to Read:
Need (Need, #1)

Need (Need #1)

3.71  ·  Rating Details ·  56,152 Ratings  ·  3,564 Reviews

Zara White suspects there’s a freaky guy semi-stalking her. She’s also obsessed with phobias. And it’s true, she hasn’t exactly been herself since her stepfather died. But exiling her to shivery Maine to live with her grandmother? That seems a bit extreme. The move is supposed to help her stay sane . . . but Zara’s pretty sure her mom just can’t deal with her right now.

She

Published June 15th 2010 by Bloomsbury USA (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Need, please sign up.

siobhan Quinlan I couldnt put the first one down and as soon as i was done i went online and ordered the rest of the series can not wait for them to come so i can…moreI couldnt put the first one down and as soon as i was done i went online and ordered the rest of the series can not wait for them to come so i can start right away (less)
Chloey Jones I'm 99% sure this is a fast paced romance. But, it's not really a romance, per se, an awesome novel with to!dance intertwined throughout the story.…moreI'm 99% sure this is a fast paced romance. But, it's not really a romance, per se, an awesome novel with to!dance intertwined throughout the story. !-)(less)

Keely *Keelskilo*
NEED:BECAUSE YOU NEED TO BURN THIS BOOK.

I knew there was going to be trouble when I started getting Twilight flashbacks in chapter one: girl has awkward family situation. She moves to someplace cold. Where it’s really cold. She probably should have put on a better jacket but she’s not used to that because she used to live somewhere warmer. And now it’s cold. Because of awkward weather situations, she’s also given a new car (well, Bella’s wasn’t new, but whatever. Same intent). Did I mention it’s
Hannah
Apr 11, 2010 Hannah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Arminzerella
The Holy Terror
I'd give this book 2.5 stars if I could. The beginning starts off a little strange. We're not given much description and we pretty much live inside Zara's head. There's a lot of dialogue and inner monologue, and while it's quick to read, it's just not as engaging as it could have been. Plus, Zara's obsessions with phobias is a little odd and it's never really explained why or how she remembers them all.

At first I was thinking that this was going to turn out to be a typical teen book with all the
Kristi
Sep 06, 2008 Kristi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-arc
AH
I have a few good things to say about Need. If you are an aspiring psychologist or psychiatrist thinking of specializing in phobias, well – this is the book for you. Need is a great vocabulary builder. Instead of numbered chapters, each chapter is named after a phobia with its definition below. So you get to learn great and useful words like:

Phobophobia – a fear of phobias
Autophobia – a fear of yourself
Cacaphobia – a fear of ugliness

Too bad there isn’t a word for fear of dull reads – dullreadoph
Rachael
Nov 29, 2008 Rachael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Since the recent death of her beloved stepfather, Zara has been accumulating phobias like some people collect stamps. She’s pretty much afraid of everything. Zara’s mother, worried for her, sends Zara to live with her grandmother, believing that Zara will be safer in that cold and isolated state of Maine. Zara is upset, she hats the cold and misses her home in Charleston. And then, there’s also that mysterious guy that Zara keeps seeing everywhere, the one that leaves nothing but glittery gold d ...more
Khanh (the meanie)
One would need a tremendous amount of willing suspension of disbelief to believe the events in this book. I mean, I GET that it's fiction, and paranormal fiction at that, but oh man, the heroine is so TSTL it's unbelievable. Things are just too easily believed in the book to be credible. Her friends tell her pixies exist, and Zara is like "No! They can't possibly...Oh ok, so maybe they do," in the span of like 2 seconds. Please.
Kitty
Dis book.

Alright, so working in a bookstore sometimes you come across some pretty ridiculous looking books. Beach Vampire anyone? But as a child of the early 90's my threshold for cheese can be pretty high. I love The Lost Boys and all the Living Dead movies and sometimes if the moon is high in the sky, and the stars align, I can find a teen horror/paranormal book that I can enjoy in an equally cheesy fashion. Picking up and sifting through all of these books day after day I could only wonder if
Krystle
Nov 29, 2009 Krystle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What you see is what you get with this book. Most of what you need to know can be gotten from the cover. The story was superficial and not much on depth.

Zara was a decent character - had some spunk and some of her quirks. I felt that the idea of her being so adamant about helping the poor, saving those in need, while good in concept, it was forced and only seemed to be a method to try and make the character stand out more. I had a feeling that it was the author trying to preach me some sort of
Haleema
What a strange book.

So here's this teenage girl named Zara who memorizes phobias just for the hell of it. She chants them when she is nervous. It calms her down. It was interesting at first. You know, to be aware of so many bizarre phobias out there. However, it got simply annoying and it wouldn't relate to anything in the story. They were so random.

Then there's this Mary Sue (Gary Stu?) of a love interest named Nick who is macho, huge, unbelievably good looking and just glides through ice wit
Megs ♥
Dec 25, 2011 Megs ♥ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Need is a fun paranormal fantasy. Each chapter name was a certain phobia, since the main character Zara "collects" phobias. I thought most of the phobias were pretty interesting, but some were just stupid. Zara is a very likable character and a pretty smart girl.

The secondary characters shine in Need, particularly Zara's friends. Her quirky band of outsider pals share banter that is hilarious, breaking up intense moments of darkness and angst. Issie is an awesome friend to Zara. Nick is the mys
Jen
Mar 21, 2010 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a fun, quick read!

I thought the incorporation of Zara's slight obsessive-compulsiveness with the phobias was interesting. It really built her character and surprisingly gave her a personality. I hate it when heroines are introduced with no intriguing traits or hobbies, and we're expected to believe it when everyone lusts after her. THANK GOD Zara has some sort of distinguishing feature.

Zara is a very likable character. She has a good head on her shoulders, for the most part, and her quirki
new_user
Mar 26, 2009 new_user rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of The Silver Kiss, Laurie Faria Stolarz, adventure romance readers
Shelves: young-adult
Readers can find a lot of diversity across the YA spectrum. There are Gossip Girl dramas, insightful reflections, and adventure reads. Need by Carrie Jones sits between the latter two. It's a novel about junior Zara White coming to terms with the recent death of her father, a mother who deals with her husband's death and her daughter's grief by folding and sending Zara away, and rumors of a serial killer in a strange Maine backwater town.

Need can easily be dissected into two moods: the first a
Irmak
Aug 17, 2016 Irmak rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kütüphanem
2.5 mu versem 3 mü emin olamıyorum.
Kitabı çok sevdiğim söylenemez. Öncelikle bu kitap 2009da yazılmış keşke ona yakın bir zamanda çevrilseydi çünkü günümüz kitaplarına göre yavan kaçmış. Çünkü artık farklı şeyler bekliyoruz fakat 7 sene önce yazılan bir kitaptan farklılık beklemekte pek olmuyor.
Kitapta en sevdiğim şey Zara'nın fobiye olan ilgisiydi. Ki sanırım bu herkesin en sevdiği şey olmuş kitapta. Ve kitap çok akıcıydı. Okuyamama durumuna iyi gelecek kitaplardan birisi bence İhtiyaç.
Üstel
Angigames
Prendete una ragazza 17enne carina ma normale sotto tanti aspetti, fatela trasferire in una piccola cittadina nel Maine, dove sembra che l’inverno non finisca mai (non vi ricorda qualcosa?).
Fate vivere la ragazza dalla nonna che dovrebbe avere una certa età, ma che pare abbia la forza di Superman, fatela trasferire in una nuova scuola dove i pochi studenti non fanno altro che parlare di lei. La carissima ragazza sarà la prima, sulla faccia della Terra, ad attirare l’attenzione del più ambito rag
Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!}
DNF on page 33

DNF because the slight potential this book had nose dived into cliche territory. Not only was this a twilight-esque (granted with potential to be a better than the source material). I've read all these themes before. Wash rinse and repeat.

Angie
Jan 19, 2009 Angie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy, ya
First of all. How about those gold lips? Shimmery! The color of those lips does a good job of representing the glittery-but-dangerous magic in this book. Just as the pale skin of their owner conveys the tone of the story quite well: pale, cold, and creepy. I'm pretty sure this is my first pixie urban fantasy and I wasn't sure what to expect. What I did not expect was feeling like I was back inside the world of Stephen King's It. But apparently if a book's got Maine, winter, and a town with a cur ...more
Ezgi Tülü
Aug 28, 2016 Ezgi Tülü rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
Kitabı 46. sayfada bıraktım çünkü o noktaya kadar olan her şey şöyle ilerledi:

- Üvey babasını kaybeden kız depresyonu nedeniyle babaannesiyle yaşamaya gönderilir.

- Kız yeni okuluna geldiği ilk beş dakika içinde arkadaş ve düşman edinir:
Düşmanı çok şaşırtıcı(!) bir şekilde, okuldaki "popüler kız" (Megan) ve ana karakter kızımıza (Zara) karşı bir kin dolu, bir kin dolu, sormayın.
Nedeni ne sizce? --> Zara, Megan'ın Nick'le birlikte olmasının önünde duran bir "engel" ... Yahu kız daha birkaç dak
Jay G
May 29, 2017 Jay G rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

1.5 Stars

Zara White has just been shipped to Maine to live with her Grandmother after she watches her stepfather die of a heart attack. She believes that she has a stalker following her and now he's shown up in Maine as well. The strange thing is, he leaves gold dust every where he goes. With the help of her new friends, she tries to discover what he wants and how to stop him.

This boo
Sharrol
Jun 03, 2010 Sharrol rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Annie Brewer
May 14, 2011 Annie Brewer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Zara, a high school student, moves to a small town in Maine from Charleston to stay with her grandmother, she has to try to start her life over once her step father dies. It is hard for her because she hates the cold and it is snowing there all the time and she can't do much but stay inside the house. She resents her mother for sending her away and doesn't like school at all. The only thing she can do is suck it up and live....which is exactly why her mother sent her away. After her step fa ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Julie M. Prince for TeensReadToo.com

Zara has been unceremoniously shipped off to Maine to stay with Grandma Betty in the middle of nowhere during a frigid winter. According to her mother, Zara just hasn't been herself since her step-father passed away, and all of this is apparently supposed to help.

Before Zara even has a chance to snap out of the depression, her attention is drawn elsewhere by a mystery surrounding a local boy's disappearance. Oh, and then there's the strange man wh
This book is perfect blend of Twilight and Wicked Lovely. Supernatural, dark, romance new girl at school thing going on. The main character is a bit more together (she is really into running, and human rights aka Amnesty International) then Bella from Twilight. Set in Maine (atmospheric). It is not the best written book in the world and a little formulaic at this point BUT your teens will love it and not that many folks know about it yet. I found the story was creepy and fast paced enough to kee ...more
Kisses A
description

This was very cliche but something unexpected did occur somewhere like at the middle? I read it some time now so I cant remember exactly how but I know it had something to do with fairies. Leave the fairies to Sarah J bro. The was the over cliche it guy/ hero boring. But the atmosphere is what got this book rolling for me. Gave me the good ole Twilight Forks feeling. Its definitely worth a go if you like fairies, cold weather, cliche guys and the MC who has a phobia name for every single thing.
Gwen (The Gwendolyn Reading Method)
Soooo... This is a reread. When I first read it I rated it four stars. But I hadn't really read too many YA books when I read this and since I've read SOOOOO many, much better YA books. So I'm downgrading my rating to 3 stars. While I liked how it doesn't make any of the final decisions easy or trite, I just don't think the teenage girl was written like a teenage girl. Her thought processes are at the grade school level, as if she's ten years younger than she actually is. : /
~Tina~
I really, really, really wanted to love Need. I tried for months to actually get into it, thinking it's just my mood, I'm tired etc...
There were times I was getting into it, then there were times I wanted to bang my head against the wall.

I think it's the random lines that get thrown into the dialog that kill me- "Supposedly on some photography work. They do nature movies. I don't know. I like your shirt." ....????

If it's not random then it's rushed, and if it's not rushed it's painstakingly slow
Dinjolina
Dec 28, 2010 Dinjolina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hate this book.
It was so...
So...
Well cheesy.
My head hurt from it.
The phobia thing was nice.
But all the rest?
Gosh!
Horrible!
Dark Faerie Tales
Dec 27, 2009 Dark Faerie Tales rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick & Dirty: A gripping thrill ride that will keep you out of the woods and looking over your shoulder.

Opening Sentence: Everybody has fears, right?

The Review:

Gold pixie dust? Deadly pixies? Big deal. I’ll just crush these little creatures with my fly swatter. Take that Tinkerbell! I’m so not scared… Yeah, right!

I have to admit that Need certainly had its creepy moments. The pixies in Need aren’t of the sweet Tinkerbell variety. They’re deliciously dangerous creatures with voracious appeti
Andrea
Dec 30, 2010 Andrea rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is honestly up there on the list of the worst books I've ever read.

The writing is jumpy, forced, and has pretty much no flow. There were tons of pointless scenes, and the conversations between characters were also often very meaningless. Half the time they comprised of someone Zara had just met having deep insights about her and her personality. In my experience, you can't guess what someone's thinking until you've known them for quite a while.

Speaking of the characters, I never found one
YA Buddy Readers'...: Need Series by Carrie Jones - Reading 'Need' From December 9th 2014 76 43 Dec 18, 2014 08:10PM
What's The Name o...: SOLVED. YA fantasy vampire or angel novel title? [s] 4 164 May 26, 2014 04:15PM
Need Captivate En...: Nick or Astley? 20 56 Feb 13, 2014 09:41AM
Twilight much? 36 161 Jan 03, 2014 12:41PM
The Challenge Fac...: Jennifer C & Jennifer ~ Princess Penguin•Need 19 18 Feb 23, 2013 07:22AM
OMG! 8 94 Dec 18, 2012 02:54PM
Good YA Series: What do you think of Need, Captivate, and Entice?? 15 89 Jun 26, 2012 07:22PM
  • Darklight (Wondrous Strange, #2)
  • Shadowspell (Faeriewalker, #2)
  • Radiant Shadows (Wicked Lovely, #4)
  • The Seventh Daughter (Faerie Path, #3)
  • The Dark Divine (The Dark Divine, #1)
  • Bitter Frost (Frost, #1)
  • Illusions (Wings, #3)
  • Claire de Lune (Claire de Lune, #1)
  • Infinite Days (Vampire Queen, #1)
  • Never Cry Werewolf (Never Cry Werewolf, #1)
  • Bargains and Betrayals (13 to Life, #3)
  • Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1)
  • Ballad: A Gathering of Faerie (Books of Faerie, #2)
  • Bones of Faerie (Bones of Faerie, #1)
  • Raised by Wolves (Raised by Wolves, #1)
  • Intertwined (Intertwined, #1)
  • Soulstice (The Devouring, #2)
Carrie Jones likes Skinny Cow fudgsicles and potatoes. She does not know how to spell fudgsicles. This has not prevented her from writing books. She lives with her cute family in Maine, but she grew up in Bedford, NH where she once had a séance with cool uber-comedian Sarah Silverman.

The Meyers brothers are from Bedford, too, so you’d think it would make Carrie funnier, coming from Bedford N.H. Ob
More about Carrie Jones...

Need (4 books)
  • Captivate (Need, #2)
  • Entice (Need, #3)
  • Endure (Need, #4)

“The secret of happiness is freedom, the secret of freedom is courage.” 1284 likes
“He wipes his hand on his shirt.
What? Did I drool on you?"
A little."
You're a wolf. You should be used to drool."
That's low.”