Start by marking “FreakAngels, Volume 4 (FreakAngels, #4)” as Want to Read:
FreakAngels, Volume 4 (FreakAngels, #4)

FreakAngels, Volume 4 (FreakAngels #4)

4.17  ·  Rating Details ·  1,318 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Twenty-three years ago, twelve strange children were born in England at exactly the same moment. Six years ago, the world ended. Today, eleven strange 23-year-olds live in and defend Whitechapel, maybe the last real settlement in flooded London. The Freakangels have lived in fear of the return of Mark, the twelfth of their kind, whose psychic powers far exceed their own. N ...more
Published June 15th 2010 by Avatar Press (first published May 7th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about FreakAngels, Volume 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about FreakAngels, Volume 4

Worm by Wildbowxkcd by Randall MunroeHark! A Vagrant by Kate BeatonGunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 1 by Thomas SiddellMother of Learning by Domagoj Kurmaic
Best of the Web
270 books — 307 voters
Nimona by Noelle StevensonGunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 1 by Thomas SiddellHark! A Vagrant by Kate Beatonxkcd by Randall MunroeAgatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank by Phil Foglio
Webcomics
329 books — 179 voters

More lists with this book...

Jan Philipzig
After a slow-burning third volume, this fourth volume delivers all kinds of twists and action. I love how the story jumps around from one plot thread to another, and how each new piece of information makes everything else appear in a different light. We even get to sneak a peek at what happened when “the world ended” six years ago, one that turns the whole story into a crude, horrifically flawed yet undeniably potent case of youth rebellion.

Come to think of it, FreakAngels now reads like an upda
Brandon
Mar 22, 2012 Brandon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brandon by: Alaina
So after that pretty awesome cliffhanger in Volume 3, the 4th book opens with.. a flashback! Part of me was annoyed because I needed to know what was going to happen immediately. My first thought was, "MAN! I'm glad I wasn't reading this on a week to week basis". However, once I realized the flashback was finally going to give me some information about how the world ended up in the state it's currently in, I was satisfied.

The fourth entry in the Freakangels saga is a pretty awesome one and may b
Sam Quixote
Jul 04, 2012 Sam Quixote rated it it was amazing
SPOILERS

The fourth volume in this excellent series hits the ground running and doesn't stop until the final page. The Freakangels are in turmoil: Mark is back from the wilderness with murder in his eyes and Luke is on the run after shooting Kirk. This book is also the first time we see the Freakangels before they ended the world - and how they did it. Flashbacks go back to their 14th birthdays followed by the time they're being hunted by the government, to the moment when Mark suggests they link
Blindzider
Feb 05, 2017 Blindzider rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
History is revealed and the tipping point is reached for situation in Whitechapel. Lots of stuff happened in this volume. It'll be interesting to see just what changes in the relationships between the Freakangels and I still don't know where this will end up which is always a plus.
Artemy Nizovtsev
Nov 05, 2015 Artemy Nizovtsev rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, 5stars, avatar
A lot of long-awaited insight to what actually happened before the world went all post-apocalyptic. Some tensions get resolved, some new ones are introduced. Very, very tight volume. I read this one in like half an hour, probably, and now I feel like I've been through hell and back, just like the characters in the book. Man, Warren Ellis sure can write.
Nigel
Jun 07, 2017 Nigel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
So how did a bunch of silly disaffected teenagers end the world? And now that it's ended, is there anything they can do about it? Luke's on the rampage, Mark is back and the Freakangles are discovering just how few limits there may be to their powers, which could be awesome or could be terrifying but probably both, and it certainly puts a strain on their relationships with each other.
Joe
Jun 18, 2017 Joe rated it really liked it
finally get some background info on the angels, which helps with a lot of the relationship context. I wish we found out earlier, but the flashbacks were very well done. the story continues to surprise, and the art is great. I just wish I could distinguish the characters more!
Marie Graßhoff
Feb 03, 2013 Marie Graßhoff rated it it was amazing
Elizabeth
Okay, I just reviewed Freakangels 3 so if you want the broad strokes see that review. Rather than repeat myself about the pacing (Freakangels 4 covers the same day as Freakangels 3, going from afternoon to evening), I'll focus on the specifics of this book. The first half of the book is a flashback explaining how the world ended, what... the Freakangels did to cause it, all that back story. Necessary and it has it's good points, even some good artwork, but, again because of the pacing and the fo ...more
KV Taylor
Aug 27, 2011 KV Taylor rated it really liked it
This is where I actually stopped reading FreakAngels weekly -- or rather, I stopped right before the cliffhanger at the end of book 3 because I had a few mad weeks where I couldn't get to it online, and that took the edge off. So I didn't pick it back up, deciding instead to wait for the TPBs now I'd kicked the habit.

Thank god I did, seeing the first bit of this TPB. For me, it was awesome to finally get the backstory bit. Loved it. If I'd been reading weekly, I would've probably punched somethi
Sevgi Yılmaz
Feb 08, 2017 Sevgi Yılmaz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Perfect connection. Best volume so far.
Reenie
Jun 05, 2010 Reenie rated it liked it
Shelves: comic
Not too much to say about this one - an awesome (if somewhat anticipated) ending to this part of the very ongoing story. Reading it all at once somewhat negates the frustration of going from a massive cliffhanger at the end of book 3 to what must have been nearly two months of flashbacks before the cliffhanger was attended to, and the backstory is definitely nice to have. In fact, the whole volume is full of nice moments, that just can't come quickly enough, dammit.

Stephanie Krause
Nov 16, 2010 Stephanie Krause rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I obviously LOVE LOVE LOVE this series. Everything that's in print went on my Christmas list. Extremely glad that W.E. is planning to continue the free series at least through book 6... Now I'm just among the rest who have to wait for the weekly installments, since I'm all caught up now. Aww. Boo. Can't wait for more!
Andrew Huey
Apr 04, 2016 Andrew Huey rated it really liked it
The first half of this volume is a flashback to the big incident that caused the disaster that destroyed England. So it's good to have a little more detail on that. But there's still a lot of backstory left unexplored.

The second half is back in the present, moving the main story forward. Hard to say much else without giving anything away. But it's almost all action.
Geoff Sebesta
Mar 19, 2011 Geoff Sebesta rated it really liked it
surprised that it was willing to go back and fill in the moments leading to the apocalypse.

Finally getting used to the art. Each page is divided into quarters and the storytelling is real slow and clear. The artist can get some very subtle effects but man is there not a lot of story in each issue.
Elh R'
Dec 21, 2015 Elh R' rated it it was amazing
... and, finally, all hell breaks loose !!!

Lot of things happening in this volume, we see a glimpse of what happens before the flooding, freakangels learn new skills, die and get reborn, and we see Mark at last.

Very chaotic volume in comparison of the "peacefully" volumes before.

Again 5/5

(God, I love this comic)
Derek Royal
Feb 13, 2016 Derek Royal rated it really liked it
I love this series, and it's something I have been wanting to read for some time. This is a webcomics classic, and we discussed it on a recent episode of the podcast: http://comicsalternative.com/webcomic....
Mykola
Oct 29, 2016 Mykola rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, en
Не знаю, чи вдасться авторові додати ще драми і наступних випусках.
Щоб трохи розбавити драмо-концентрат, додано розповідь з минулого.
Загалом історія затягнула повністю. Якщо після першого тому я не знав, чи читати другий, то зараз заспокоюсь на останньому кадрі.
Matt Piechocinski
Jul 28, 2011 Matt Piechocinski rated it really liked it
Warren Ellis continues to impress with this series. As we look headlong into the debt crisis, I find myself thinking that, you know, maybe the Freakangels and the Authority have it right. I dunno ... it's good stuff.
Rainey
Excellent, as always.
Shanna
Still going strong. Violence, action, super-power driven, crazy ride.
Samantha
Nov 02, 2014 Samantha rated it really liked it
I am really digging this story. Just plowing through.
Lori
May 11, 2012 Lori rated it it was amazing
This is the best of them so far - gives a bit of the back story and fleshes out the characters. I'm truly enjoying this series.
Kimberly
Feb 16, 2014 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
I should have seen that coming...but I didn't.
Devowasright
best comic series going, and its free. freakangels.com
Miriam
Jun 04, 2010 Miriam rated it really liked it
Volume 3 ended with a cliff-hanger and Volume 4 opens with 6 years ago. That's just mean.
Carla A
Jun 05, 2016 Carla A rated it really liked it
Still good but starting to worry that the plot might be starting to suck. Let's see...
Matt
Feb 08, 2012 Matt rated it really liked it
Another excellent volume. The flashback stuff was great, and the cliffhanger at the end was REALLY great. I love this series.
Jazmin Jade
Aug 30, 2013 Jazmin Jade rated it did not like it
Look at volume one for review.
Barry
Jun 30, 2012 Barry rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, 2012
Loved the concept, characters, and artwork. Great stuff, only sad the series didn't go longer and take a few more side trips.
  • Agatha Heterodyne and the Chapel of Bones (Girl Genius, #8)
  • Gunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 4: Materia (Gunnerkrigg Court #4)
  • The Phoenix Requiem Volume Three
  • Rice Boy
  • Questionable Content, Vol. 1
  • Atomic Robo and Other Strangeness (Atomic Robo, #4)
  • Stand Still, Stay Silent: Book 1
  • Uncanny X-Force, Volume 2: Torn and Frayed
  • Dreamless
  • Smut Peddler: 2012 Edition
  • Powers, Vol. 5: Anarchy
Warren Ellis is the award-winning writer of graphic novels like TRANSMETROPOLITAN, FELL, MINISTRY OF SPACE and PLANETARY, and the author of the NYT-bestselling GUN MACHINE and the “underground classic” novel CROOKED LITTLE VEIN. The movie RED is based on his graphic novel of the same name, its sequel having been released in summer 2013. His graphic novel GLOBAL FREQUENCY is in development at Jerry ...more
More about Warren Ellis...

FreakAngels (6 books)
  • FreakAngels, Volume 1 (FreakAngels, #1)
  • FreakAngels, Volume 2 (FreakAngels, #2)
  • FreakAngels, Volume 3 (FreakAngels, #3)
  • FreakAngels, Volume 5 (FreakAngels, #5)
  • FreakAngels, Volume 6 (FreakAngels, #6)