Start by marking “Ben Hogan's Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf” as Want to Read:
Ben Hogan's Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf

Ben Hogan's Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  898 ratings  ·  59 reviews
A timeless classic with nearly one million copies in print, Ben Hogan’s Five Lessons outlines the building blocks of winning golf from one of the all-time masters of the sport—fully illustrated with drawings and diagrams to improve your game instantly.

Ben Hogan, one of the greatest golfers in the history of the sport, believed that any golfer with avera
Published September 20th 1985 by Touchstone (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Ben Hogan's Five Lessons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ben Hogan's Five Lessons

Mike
The techniques used in this book are almost universal. The first half to 2/3's of this 1957 book are in every golf instruction book. I've been playing golf for 30 years and I've been doing, or trying to do, almost everything is this book. Consequently, I easily adapted to a couple of Ben's moves and now I am ready for the Senior Tour.
Lisa
This book helped me a LOT in learning to swing correctly. A perfect supplement to having a lesson from a golf pro (well, a few lessons!). Even helped my husband who has been golfing for years. There's always room for improvement.
Jim
In my list of gurus, Ben Hogan appears this year for the thoughts he has captured in this book. This book is a collection of five articles Hogan wrote on the "modern fundamentals" of golf for Sports Illustrated in the Fifties. In a way, you're glad he wrote it down, because you'd hate him to be a personal teacher. He comes across as not only a purist, but an absolute obsessive over the game. Control freak? Absolutely. Suffer (golf) fools gladly? Not for a second. Hogan admits this often as he wr ...more
Clinton
Ben Hogan’s Five Lessons is an illustrative book that teaches the fundamentals of the golf swing including: the waggle, the address position, the grip, the stance, the backswing and forward swing, and the position of the ball at address. Although many philosophies of the golf swing exist, Ben Hogan’s swing is still praised as the most elegant and aesthetically perfect and copied still today by tour players. Ben Hogan is considered the father of the modern golf swing. Hogan’s Five Lessons is an e ...more
Adam Kadane
There is a sea of books out there about golf, but this one is unique because it was written by the great Hogan and is among the easiest to read and understand. If you are interested in learning how to play the game of golf or looking to improve, this is your book. When I can't seem to correct my swing, I always go back to the fundamentals in this book. I find my issue every time!
David Ferrers
This book can make you a good golfer. Ben Hogan spent years on the practice ground learning how to hot good golf shots and studying how his body needed to move in order to hit long and straight. His successes as a player are testament to his mastery of the golf swing. The pictures and dialogue in this book are outstanding.
Jamie Gulick
I am a beginner, and this book improved my game. I learned very well through reading, and have tried several instructors and had less luck with lessons. This book will continue to be a great reference for me if I lose my way; and all for $10!
T.J. Beitelman
The normal human body — e.g., Ben Hogan, arguably the most consistently pure striker of a golf ball who ever picked up sticks, was no taller than 5’9” and weighed 150 pounds soaking wet — can be trained with utter precision to perform a series of intricate, interconnected movements time and time again, under enormous pressure. How? The big muscles lead the small ones. It’s easier to coordinate the movements of your hips, back, and shoulders in a consistent, repeatable motion than it is to do the ...more
David
The standard for modern golf instruction books. this should
Be the first book in anyone's golf library.
Tony Davis
Quick read, but it really simplifies the golf swing.
Michael Cox
Mandatory reading for any serious golfer.
Becky
I read the first lesson very slowly while practicing each element as prescribed. As I moved to the second lesson, I determined that there would be value in reading through the entire book first and then re-reading each lesson while actually applying the principles in practice. I hope that I'll have the discipline to work on this some every day, so that by the fall (when it's not so horribly hot on the course!) I'll be able to play a round with my husband and actually keep score!
Matt
Good, easy to understand golf instructional book. My wife called it my "picture book" because there are plenty of pages of (very helpful) pictures of the different steps in the swing process that Hogan describes. These pics are actually quite important to help clarify some of his descriptions. Not a very big book, but there is definitely a lot of information in here to help improve your golf game.
towner77
This book was very helpful to my game, from a conceptual standpoint. I understood what I should be doing with my swing better after reading and studying Hogan, I just didn't really take it to the course very well. Trying to self-teach the game of golf in one's 40s is very difficult, but this book and its excellent illustrations will provide a nice set of guidelines.
Michael
A must read for any golfer that wants to understand the swing. Simple simple simple. As someone who has dropped nearly a $1000 on lessons in my first summer attempting the game, I can vouch for the timelessness of Ben's methods... all the instructors still use it to teach the swing. Ever heard of a pane of glass?
Gabriel
Simply an amazing and concise look at the intricacies of a sound golf swing. One of the original and one of the best I highly recommend this above all others for learning how to develop a fundamentally sound and repeatable swing. It uses accessible language and great illustrations throughout. A classic.
Jean
The book explains the fundamentals of a good swing and who better to learn from than from one of the best in golf history. Getting everything synchronized and into practice is the challenge. Great illustrations which helps keep the perfect swing image in the mind's eye.
Ron
Clear instruction - I practiced the prescribed exercises and found that my swing went downhill really quickly. You really have to stick to it though - stay in the cognitive stage of skill acquiring and I'm sure I'll have a better swing than before!
Jenny
Interesting book especially as Ben Hogan came to play at Carnoustie, a golf course I enjoy. It was his one British Open Victory ! Carnoustie Golf Course
Simon Ruddell
I have bought more copies of this book than any other because I keep giving it to people! Read this book and you won't need to read any other instruction book. There a reason why so many tour pros keep this book in ther golf bag!
Ken
If you want to get good at golf, read it and hang onto it. I've read many times that most pros spend their high school years carrying this around in their backpacks. Whenever I get into trouble with my game, I revisit this one.
Suzie
Oct 29, 2011 Suzie marked it as never-finished  ·  review of another edition
I think that this probably an excellent book, but I'm not interested in the sport enough to finish it. I never got around to having a full swing, so I can't really give a review that will be at all enlightening
Jason
Excellent book on learning the full swing of golf by one of the greatest ball strikers to play the game. Gives great mental pictures for what should be happening during your swing.
Annie
Though it is over 50 yrs. old, this book is a great instructional guide. Really solid, basic stuff. My great uncle gave it to me - it's how he taught himself to golf in the '50s.
Kip Brailey
The best golf instructional book ever written. Period.
Glenn Van
Hogan was a private man to say the least, but the book spoke little of what this reader was looking to know--more about the mysterious Hogan.
Gary
The classic golf book. Mentioned in many other books as the most fundamental book on how to play golf. Very short and easy to read.
Brian123
Good book, I really don't like golf instruction books, but if you had to pick one teacher or player it would have to be Hogan.
Lawrence
This book taught me the right way to grip a club and not overuse my right hand. Obviously very important.
Gordon
There's nothing like a slice of vintage golf instruction. Modern day swingers could learn a lot from this...
Covers all of the Fundamentals of the Golf Swing 1 3 Jan 05, 2012 10:48AM
  • Harvey Penick's Little Red Book: Lessons and Teachings From a Lifetime of Golf
  • The Match: The Day the Game of Golf Changed Forever
  • Golf for Dummies
  • Golf in the Kingdom
  • Golf My Way
  • Dead Solid Perfect
  • Only the Ball Was White: A History of Legendary Black Players and All-Black Professional Teams
  • Muhammad Ali: His Life and Times
  • Are You Kidding Me?: The Story of Rocco Mediate's Extraordinary Battle with Tiger Woods at the US Open
  • Levels of the Game
  • The Mysterious Montague: A True Tale of Hollywood, Golf, and Armed Robbery
Ben Hogan's Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf Power Golf Five Lessons: the Modern Fundamentals of Golf Five lessons: The modern fundamentals of golf Bug Park