Start by marking “Eyeshield 21, Vol. 1: The Boy With the Golden Legs” as Want to Read:
Eyeshield 21, Vol. 1: The Boy With the Golden Legs

Eyeshield 21, Vol. 1: The Boy With the Golden Legs (Eyeshield 21 #1)

4.29  ·  Rating Details ·  6,531 Ratings  ·  74 Reviews
What does a wimpy kid who's been bullied all his life have to depend on but his own two feet? Sena Kobayakawa is about to start his first year in high school and he's vowed not to get picked on anymore. Unfortunately, the sadistic captain of the football team already has his eye on Sena and his lightning-fast speed.
Published April 5th 2005 by VIZ Media LLC (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Eyeshield 21, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eyeshield 21, Vol. 1

Jokoloyo
Dec 29, 2014 Jokoloyo rated it liked it
This is my review for whole series.

I have read some sport manga, and the main plot of this genre is cliché, from zero to hero. Although they all basically have the same basic plot, there are still new sport manga since Captain Tsubasa. Authors/creators of sport manga are inventing new ideas in premises, themes, or characters (oh, and illustration arts too, we are talking about manga). At a glance on the cover of the manga, everyone can guess that Eyeshield 21 offers a new main theme in sport man
Diane ϟ [ Lestrange ]

YAHAAA!!!

Do you know Kobayakawa Sena? How about Eyeshield 21 from the Deimon Devil Bats?

Eyeshield 21 is a manga about american football written by Riichiro Inagaki and illustrated by Yusuke Murata. It became an anime on Aril 6, 2005 and ended with 145 episodes on March 19, 2008. This anime is sponsored by NFL Japan and aired in countries like korea, Indonesia, Hong Kong and the Philippines.

The story revolves around high school student Kobayakawa Sena who loves football and has a incredible talen
Ariza
Nov 29, 2012 Ariza rated it it was amazing
ini komik sports yang jadi favorite gue,

meskipun pada awalnya gue gak ngelirik pertama kali karena gambar karakternya gak cakep (note : gue selalu lihat dari gambar-gambar karakternya cakep apa kagak :P) tapi pas lihat sosok Hiruma si akuma yang jenius itu gue mulai tertarik dan nggak kecewa baca komiknya. .

yang paling menarik dari komik ini adalah humornya yang bikin ngakak mampus, sosok hiruma sang quaterback yang licik, suka bawa senjata kemana-mana dan memiliki buku hitam (buku ancaman) jad
Aurora Dimitre
Feb 04, 2015 Aurora Dimitre rated it it was amazing
So, my favorite genre of anime/manga is sports manga, as weird as that might seem to even myself - because I honestly don't care about any sort of sports at all in real life, but make it fake and it's my favorite. Eyeshield 21 is no exception - and, actually, the only sports manga that I've really read - oh, I've read a few chapters here and there of Kuroko no Basket, or Kenichi: the Mightiest Disciple, but I've never really sat down and just read the manga until Eyeshield 21.

The story foll
Jeff_§of2014
Sep 07, 2009 Jeff_§of2014 rated it really liked it
This book is about an average boy named Sena who runs errands for his sister all the time. Sena had just got into a new high school with a new start without any friend so his sister convinced him to go to clubs and in the end the football club was the one best suited for him. Since Sena had been running a lot of errands he had superb speed and it really gave him the advantage with the football team for a runner.
I can connect this to many people because everyone will do one thing they wont like
Julie Decker
Aug 23, 2014 Julie Decker rated it it was amazing
Sena Kobayakawa has always been a shy and easily bullied kid. Good thing his older (female) friend Mamori has protected him throughout his childhood, though being in different schools before made that hard. But now that he's going to her school, she's clucking over him and trying to protect him again, encouraging him to make friends by joining clubs (but she issues a stiff warning: stay away from anything to do with a guy called Hiruma!). Sena meets a large student named Kurita, who shares his w ...more
~Anna B.~ ♥
Aug 31, 2016 ~Anna B.~ ♥ rated it it was amazing

5 STARS! :)

(NOTE: This is a review for the whole manga.)

Sena Kobayakawa has been bullied ever since he was young. He has this aura around him that makes him seem weak and targeted by delinquents. He was cornered but the urge to protect his childhood friend is stronger. Someone discovered his talent as a running back of an American football team. This story took a long route of explaining how a lie turn out to be the truth and the Deimon devil bats' hope to reach the Christmas Bowl. I love the en
Feather Mista
Dec 04, 2013 Feather Mista rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mangueros y footballeros
Recommended to Feather by: Bucletina
Creo que la cantidad de minutos de mi vida que dediqué a ver partidos de fútbol americano debe ascender a... cinco, seis. Diez como mucho. Sin embargo, horas y días de mi vida (que seguro suman meses) las dediqué a la lectura, ociosa o laboral, de muchísimos mangas, así que el lenguaje propio de este tipo de historietas ya me es más que familiar.
Gracias a esa familiaridad, al encanto del dibujo, a las fáciles pero efectivas secuencias humorísticas y a las explicaciones de fútbol americano para t
Emily Collins
Mar 07, 2011 Emily Collins rated it it was amazing
This series currently holds the title of My Mostest Favoritest Manga. I've grown up in a household where Autumn Saturdays are already booked as college football days. Football has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember, and the fact that I have actually found a graphic novel that goes along with that very theme is incredible.
The artwork in this series starts out a little... inexperienced, but rest assured it improves dramatically. The characters from Sena to Shin are so filled with
Lei
Aug 23, 2015 Lei rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Rating for all 333 chapters.

Had so much fun reading this one. Great characters, nice pacing and enjoyable battles. It's not perfect but it was very good up until the World Cup arc. The final arc was so disappointing and that's the reason why I had to shave off a star. It should've ended with the Christmas Bowl and in my mind, that will always be the final arc. I've never been interested in American Football but because I was reading this one, I ended up watching football highlights in Youtube.

Y
Dominic
Jun 15, 2012 Dominic rated it liked it
Un excellent manga, mais je trouve que l’histoire manque de profondeur et n’arrive pas a surpasser le genre ‘Slam Dunk’. Parfait pour amateurs de football américains.
ULI
Oct 29, 2016 ULI rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You got the supporting cast was the most popular character!!
no romance found in this manga cause it's all about winning.
After all, The struggle of the main character and his team really inspiring me.
Michael Vanegas
Jun 14, 2013 Michael Vanegas rated it it was amazing
James Dunphy
Jun 22, 2014 James Dunphy rated it really liked it
Eyeshield 21 is a unique sports manga as it is one centered around American Gridiron Football. Japan obviously doesn't play much American football so this manga starts at the bare assumption that the reader knows absolutely nothing about the sport. For someone like me – an American who has grown up learning about, and loving the game with a passion, this is a very interesting read for me to undertake, breaking down football at such elementary and basic level. It also takes place at a high school ...more
Koonu
Apr 25, 2011 Koonu rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Sport stories always have the played out David vs. Goliath thing. Where the main characters must face off against colossal and seemingly impossible opponents. All sports stories follow this pattern to the point that it's predictable. What makes Eyeshield 21 stand out from the rest is the charming characters and the strategy factor that applies to american football. While I won't go into details, I can assure you that the characters will draw you into the story regardless of your knowledge of the ...more
Nur
Dec 03, 2015 Nur rated it really liked it
Pertama kali sih nonton animenya :D Dan yang aku inget dari animenya adalah karakter Hiruma yang gila-edan tapi baik juga *gitu lho* Hahahahaha. Dan yang aku suka dari animenya adalah, soundtrack nya yang enakeun buat di denger. Aku hampir mengoleksi semuanya lho :") Tapi, walaupun aku udah nonton animenya, itu pun ngga tamat. Hanya sebagian saja. Soalnya waktu itu tayang di TV, tapi ngga disiarin lagi=="

Makanya aku memutuskan untuk beli komiknya *yang kebetulan di Gramed Merdeka waktu itu si ko
Speedtribes
Mar 09, 2008 Speedtribes rated it really liked it
Shelves: youngadult, manga
After seeing the awful font and vaguely stiff word choice of the Naruto manga, I didn't have very high hopes for the English language Eyeshield.

I saw it at the library, and pretty much guzzled it down. The art is as beautiful and well executed as the first time I saw it in the original Japanese a year or so ago. The translation flows smoothly, and the typographer chose a nice, standard font that was inoffensive.

The story is a hilarious tale about high school boys' strength and dreams playing Am
M. A. P.
Apr 17, 2015 M. A. P. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Utterly cliché with its "from zero to hero" premise, but surprisingly entertaining. The story gets going at lightning speed, no nonsense. Well, I mean, in the sense that we are actually brought straight to business rather than kept beating around the bush for an entire volume before the story really kicks in - not so much in the sense that there would be an absence of random elements of utter ridiculousness.

Young boys are the obvious target audience of this Japanese comic, hence it isn't exactly
Nicole Eatough
Apr 25, 2015 Nicole Eatough rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
I loved this series, which is amusing considering how little I think of sports, but Inagaki created a phenomenal cast of characters I came to adore. While I enjoyed the story of the underdog team working towards ever greater championships and playing against every greater rivals, the characters were my favorite part of the story. You get to see each character grow and evolve as the story progresses, and each character's progress is done so fluidly (which is quite impressive, considering how many ...more
Kit
Mar 28, 2008 Kit rated it liked it
This is a Japanese manga about a high-school team playing American football in Japan. They're not really any good (American football isn't popular in Japan), and their ace in the hole is their phenomenally fast, short and skinny team manager, who secretly leaves the sidelines in order to suit up (complete with tinted eyeshield to hide his face) and play as the enigmatic Eyeshield 21.

I don't blame you if you're cracking up now. It's a garden-variety sports manga; the appeal comes from seeing the
Mayday
Jan 24, 2013 Mayday rated it really liked it
Shelves: hnnnng-no
American football is brutal sport, just like wrestling which I hate. It's better than wrestling though, at least, the players have body protectors. The players even put something on their crotches to protect their bits and it is just eww.

People could die playing this game, seriously!

I disliked American football, until now, thus I didn't understand it.

But somehow, Riichiro Inagaki, through his manga, could make me understand that American football was not that bad. I even understand a little of
JasonChan
Sena was a normal kid at first, but Hiruma found out he has superior legs. Sena ran super fast for a normal highschooler. Sena had a record of 4.4 seconds for a 40 yard dash. Sena use to be an errand boy for bullies, but now he's going to be a team's running back. He finally has real friends and teammates now. He's not just a boy that get picks on. Sena's now the Ace of Devil Bats high school football team. He will help the team go to Christmas bowl and play Oujou White Knights.
I can connect thi
Anamelissa
Apr 12, 2010 Anamelissa rated it it was amazing
I had first read this book when our manga section was beginning to grow. I had read most of the others and I was in no mood to read a novel. I had picked this one hoping it was to my taste.
I completely fell in love with the book once I finished the first part. I had misjugde the cover. Seeing a guy with elf ears and a crazy hair do, though that's in all manga, made me questioned the book.
It was crazy funny, and, though in a extreme way, related well with teens. It pushed you to give it your all,
83zues
Sep 19, 2008 83zues added it
Jordan Stephens
Apr 10, 2016 Jordan Stephens rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
I've never been the biggest fan of watching sports. I enjoy it, understand the appeal, and I can get super into it, but I've never "followed" a team or a sports season all the way through. I remember reading Eyeshield 21, however, and getting super into it, even to the point of tears at times. For years I played soccer, basketball, and hockey at different times. But long before middle school I had given them all up. Eyeshield 21 really touched the deep part within me that would've loved to be a ...more
Ru
Apr 27, 2009 Ru rated it really liked it
i picked this up at the library because someone had left it on a table, and let's be honest, it's a sports manga about football! i do love football.

what a great manga! the characters are nicely defined and the likeable ones are really likeable while the not-likeable ones are positively demonic. and i always thought that i was just bad at reading manga when i couldn't follow the action sequences in martial arts-based stories. turns out all you need to know is to understand the game. it was refres
Devin (Mostly Manga)
Apr 06, 2016 Devin (Mostly Manga) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, favorite-manga
Wow, what a great volume 1! This is really something you can get into whether you're into football or not. If you aren't familiar with the sport at all, no worries, because the rules are explained to you very easily! I love Sena's character because I know what it's like being that wimpy guy who gets pushed around in school. Seeing him become a potential football superstar is going to be fun! Keep in mind that it's not a very realistic sports manga. It's part comedy (very funny, I must say) so th ...more
Manato
Nov 13, 2014 Manato rated it it was amazing
This manga is about Japanese high school football. Hero is Sena Kobayakawa. He is too small (5’0) but he is so fast1 his 40yard dash time is 4.20 seconds! (But it is in manga. It is fiction. If I am like him, I can be the NFL super star.) There is another hero. His name is Youichi Hiruma. He is a devil, he likes threaten ( it is in manga. It is fiction), but he is really smart. I think he is the smartest character. He is trickty. Really tricky. He has too many guns. He is always shooting Sena (B ...more
hujanlia
Jul 10, 2014 hujanlia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sport-manga
Wow, another sport-manga I'm liking so much :)
The main character, Sena, is rather typical: an average kid growing to a good athlete. Having it said so, in this manga, it's not annoying at all.
And it rather amused me that I found myself liking almost all of the character in this manga (and as for some characters that I hated, eventually as the story goes, I stopped hating them, LOL ^^'). To say it in short: they are loveable, really.

Overall it's a well-built story (with nice artwork too).
I really
Fatima
Mar 16, 2013 Fatima rated it really liked it
a very unrealistic book... that makes you want to just keep trying! As unrealistic a book maybe it has some truth in it. So connect this book to reality and it will be more realistic... because every legend has some truth and reality in it!
Keep on reading to know what I am talking about :)
But know that every man in this book can be found in reality... (I am writing this after finishing the book, but throughout the whole book I felt the same way.
If you want to reply to my message then I ask that
  • The Prince of Tennis, Volume 1: Ryoma Echizen (The Prince of Tennis, #1)
  • Slam Dunk, Tome 1
  • Hikaru no Go, Vol. 1: Descent of the Go Master (Hikaru no Go, #1)
  • Whistle!, Vol. 1
  • Yakitate!! Japan, Volume 1
  • GTO: Great Teacher Onizuka, Vol. 1
  • Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, Volume 1 (Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, #1)
  • Hunter x Hunter, Vol. 01 (Hunter x Hunter, #1)
  • The Kindaichi Case Files, Vol. 1: The Opera House Murders
  • Kekkaishi, Vol. 01 (Kekkaishi, #1)
  • Gin Tama, Vol. 1 (Gin Tama, #1)
  • One Piece, Bd.42, Die Piraten vs. CP 9 (One Piece, #42)
  • Hajime no Ippo, Vol. 1 (Hajime no Ippo, #1)
  • Reborn! Vol. 01: Reborn Arrives! (Reborn!, #1)
  • Shaman King, Vol. 1: A Shaman in Tokyo
  • Natsume's Book of Friends, Vol. 1
  • Doraemon, Vol 01 (Doraemon, #1)
  • Rave Master, Vol. 1
He is a mangaka from Tokyo, Japan. He debuted in October 2001 with Nandodemo Roku Gatsu Jū San Hi, and also wrote for the magazine Square Freeze and Love Love Santa, published in November 2001 and in February 2002 respectively. He later moved to Shueisha's Weekly Shōnen Jump, in wich he won the 7th "Story King" section in the same year.
More about Riichiro Inagaki...

Eyeshield 21 (1 - 10 of 37 books)
  • Eyeshield 21, Vol. 2: The False Hero
  • Eyeshield 21, Vol. 3: And They're Called the Devil Bats
  • Eyeshield 21, Vol. 4: Intimidation
  • Eyeshield 21, Vol. 5: Powerful
  • Eyeshield 21, Vol. 6: Devil Bats Take Flight
  • Eyeshield 21, Vol. 7: Musashi
  • Eyeshield 21, Vol. 8: True Warriors Seek Out Strong Foes
  • Eyeshield 21, Vol. 9: Hell is for Devil Bats
  • Eyeshield 21, Vol. 10: Is There a Loser in the House?
  • Eyeshield 21, Vol. 11: Open Season