Start by marking “One Night” as Want to Read:
One Night
Preview

One Night

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  688 ratings  ·  64 reviews

Published March 4th 2009 by Laurel Leaf (first published May 11th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about One Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Night

Yeah this? Was amazing. Seriously can't remember a book in verse I liked so much. Shorter than crack but better in some ways, a lot of ways. Gave it to my friends as soon as they were finished. I like the idea of the fake smile that was the prettest, and the beautiful boy that was the coldest. I liked his friends. I liked hers too. There was so many story it was all beautiful.
Becky
I may up this later to 4 stars, but for right now I'm leaving it at 3.

This is the first book I've ever read written in verse. VERY interesting. But, I feel a lot of the story gets lost, but that's probably just me.

The story was good, but I felt if maybe it had been a traditional book it would have been more involved.

Crystal
This novel in verse explores the consequences of events on one brief night in the lives of several teens. The characters’ lives are spiraling out of control when they are abruptly shaken and have to make decisions about how they will live the rest of their lives.
Eva Leger
I just got this in the mail through PBS yesterday and had no plans whatsoever to read it any time soon. I only ordered it because I happened to see it available.
I hate the cover so I'm questioning myself as to why I picked this up so soon. The only reason I can come up with is that I haven't read anything in verse since Fallout came out.
So, I started this very morning and finished this very afternoon. And took numerous breaks in between. So it's a very fast one.
The chapters were sort of confu
Igor
• Igor Kovalyov
• APA citation: Wild, M. (2004). One Night. New York: Random House.
• Genre: Poetry/Verse Novel
• Awards (If applicable):
• Format: Print
• Selection Process: Recommendation
• Review:
This is a story of a one night stand gone wrong. I feel that both male and female readers have a lot to learn from this text as it shows the consequences of an absentee father and how hard it is for the mother to go through pregnancy at an early age. This event in Helen's life sets of a trigger of events
Anna
3.5 stars and surprisingly good! I really like Margaret Wild's writing style. I just wish the story had been different. I thought Bram was the most interesting character, not Gabe or Helen. I wanted this to be the story of Bram.

Gabe wasn't all that likable, even in the end. I did find the pregnancy plot twist to be surprising -- I wasn't expecting the story to go the way it did. Helen was an interesting character but I had a difficult time buying into her self-determination. Everything seemed t
Trisha
"You're a tough little bird, Hen. Never forget that."

wow, this was a very moving tale about one night that changed the lives of many.

I really liked Gabe and Helen and just the little glimpse you get into their worlds. And I do love a good book in verse. I think sometimes a book theme is too sad or too emotional to read a whole novel about it - especially when fewer words can be so powerful.

My only hesitation with this book is the topic of teenage pregnancy. It's a tough topic and, although I'm g
Totally loved this book!
I haven't read a lot of books in verse, because I hate the format of poetry. So, when I started this book, I thought it would be boring with no storyline or meaning.
But I was so wrong!
Even though this book didn't have a lot of words, it was very meaningful. It was about real issues that teenagers face everyday. But it did it in a unique way that made me want to keep reading. I loved how the author interpreted so much feeling into the book. And how she made it not just abo
bjneary
Wow, what a great novel in verse!!!I loved Wild's other book, Jinx----but this one is even better about four teens with their own kind of baggage and the mistakes they make and the changes they make to correct. A compelling read with a very sweet satisfying conclusion.
Dennis
very well done. I've been a fan of Wild's picture books for some time, and now I rate her, as a writer of novels in verse, up there with Sonya Sones, Steven Herrick, Helen Frost.
Naomi
I read this within a couple of hours. I wouldn't say I loved it but I did find it interesting. Recommended to lovers of realistic fiction.
Maria
I am not sure what I expected about this book I wanted to love it but I just couldn't.
Maria
One Night by Margaret Wild is a good and easy book to read especially for the young audult audience and here's a few reasons why... I mentioned this book is easy right? Well it's not very long and wether you're a slow or fast reader you can finish it pretty quickly. It's also very straight foward and easy to understand, although some tough words tend to come out at you here in there, trust me it's easy! Ayways this book is good for young audults because I'm sure teens can relate to this because ...more
Alyssa Johnson
The type of person for whom this book is written for was for mostly teenage girls and or women, who might have a problem with guys or has had the same situation as the girl in this book. i feel that this book is sad when the girl gets pregnant from a one night stand at a party. but towards the end it got better and made me feel happier. she went to find a job and a place to live on her own after she found out she was pregnant. and after she found out that the guy at the party that made her pregn ...more
Christina (Christina's Book Corner)
October 2 - October 3

Summary - Gabe is the best looking guy in school—that’s why his friends send him to get girls to their party. Helen is not much to look at—that’s why her friends want her to come along. But Helen gets under Gabe’s skin in a way no other girl has.

It was one night. One night with lasting consequences. Now Helen has to decide if she wants to keep the baby—and if she should tell Gabe, who hasn’t spoken to her since their one night together.

Filled with love, fear, and the tough c
Anaee
I was looking for books with pregnant girls and I found this one. I found then that One Night was poetry. I decided to try it for a change.

At first I wasn't really into it, and then there was Helen and I fell for it. I actually liked reading about all of those characters. I didn't like Al much though. But I'm glad that every one of them found their way into life. Too bad it had to take Raphael nearly dying for that to happen.

Anyway, for Helen and Raphael and most of the women in this book, thoug
Zoe
I loved this book so much, it was like reading poetry. It's been years since I've read it but I just wish I could make everyone read it so they could see the emotional journey that the author took me on. I felt the characters growing so much, this book was impossible to put down, and I would read it over and over again if I could find it in a book store somewhere.
Man
I'm so utterly thankful the book wasn't what I'd expected it to be. (I thought it would be the ordinary teenage book filled with drama and clichés.)

The beginning had me curious about what would happen, and honestly I couldn't see where it would all go down from there. Even though I'd read the back cover I hadn't the fainest idea, so I was positively surprised as to where the story actually went. The turns of the story I liked, but characterwise I wasn't entirely sold - they weren't developed and
Sandravides
Really a quick read. It definitely was a decent good but the whole free verse writing style I don't get. That being said I think there could have been a bit more the story.
Mayla
This book is about a guy named Gabe that screws girls and never call them back. He has fun with them at parties and fools those girls with his charm. "One night" was all it took to turn his life around. The girl, Helen that changed his life. One night was all it took to make him realize that he had to responsible with his actions. The week after that one night, Helen realized that she was pregnant. Knowing that having an abortion was going to go against her beliefs, she had the baby and keeps tr ...more
Tia
Weirdest fucking book in the world! But surprisingly a good read.
Magdala
Ths was a really-easy-read book, well for me anyways. It was cute. I thought it was sad to have pictured a 16 year old tryng to take of her own baby by herself with no place to live but her friends. She knew she wouldn't be stayng long which is why she got a job. Gabe has finally found someone who he can settle down wit, but Helen doesn't kno her feelngs for him yet. There still working it out, her dads relationship it also working.-small steps. She finds a place to live n meets nice people. Her ...more
Delores Moore
This book is about a guy named Gabe that screws girls and never call them back.He is the finest boy in the school . He has fun with them at parties and fools those girls with his charm. "One night" was all it took to turn his life around. The girl, Helen that changed his life. One night was all it took to make him realize that he had to responsible with his actions. The week after that one night, Helen realized that she was pregnant. Knowing that having an abortion was going to go against her be ...more
Pamela Hubbard
This is a book told in verse about two young people dealing with some major issues. After one night together, Helen gets pregnant and is forced to make decisions that are best for the child. This book is not your typical teen pregnancy story, but focuses more on how anything can be redeemed, and some of the worst circumstances can result in life becoming better and stronger than before. The story deals with a lot of family/parenting relationships as well. This is definitely a story of hope.
♥ C.A.Anna ♥
I loved this so much. I did finish this the night I began it but only got around to writing this review now. I love the simplicity of the writing, the way it was writing was not only well done but was extremely effective. This novel was moving to say the least and I enjoyed every moment of reading it. I did cry, I did laugh, I loved every second of this and I am so glad that I was told to read this by my best friend. :D

Well done!
5/5 for me today
MJ_Lover
Katie
I enjoyed this book. As a young aspiring author, this book really opened my mind to new style of writing. When I first opened it, I was shocked. I thought that there is no way this could be the book I ordered, but it was everything and more. This book will forever alter my style of writing. I will for sure study different type of writing, not just this style, but all styles. This book is a great for kids looking to explore the English field.
Amanda
This book is written in a unique format. It is written in a poem-like structure. This book tells the story of a guy named Gade who has this one night stand, and gets the girl PREGNANT! The girl tries to contact him, however he refuses to cooperate. The girl is left to raise the baby alone with her family. This was an okay book, and there are lessons to be learned. I recommend this to everyone.
Danielle
I liked this book a lot. The language was sparse and beautifully composed, and the voices of the teenagers were captured really well. The art of saying a lot through saying very little. The only gripe I would have is how well the character of Helen seemingly handled the difficult circumstances she found herself in - too composed? Great climax and lovely pensive ending.
 ★ g.k. ★
This story unfolded in the writing style of verse was easy to read. The verse style was excellent in flowing between the POVs. I was unsure at first that it could tell a story in a meaningful way but it drew me in to the lives of the teens and the consequences of one night and all the lives it effects. There are times that simple and elegant have the most impact.
Heather
Waste of time! The story seemed up to my tastes but idk just couldn't get into it.
  • Raincheck on Timbuktu
  • Sandpiper
  • The Geography of Girlhood
  • Lost It
  • Guitar Highway Rose
Margaret Wild has written more than seventy books and has been published around the world. Her numerous awards and distinctions include the Children’s Book Council of Australia Picture Book of the Year Award for Jenny Angel, illustrated by Anne Spudvilas; The Very Best of Friends, illustrated by Julie Vivas; and Fox, illustrated by Ron Brooks. In 2008 she received the Nan Chauncy Award for an outs ...more
More about Margaret Wild...
Jinx Fox Woolvs in the Sitee Kiss Kiss! (Mini Edition) Harry & Hopper