Start by marking “One Night” as Want to Read:
One Night

One Night

3.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  741 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews

Published March 4th 2009 by Laurel Leaf (first published May 11th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about One Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Night

May 20, 2011 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yeah this? Was amazing. Seriously can't remember a book in verse I liked so much. Shorter than crack but better in some ways, a lot of ways. Gave it to my friends as soon as they were finished. I like the idea of the fake smile that was the prettest, and the beautiful boy that was the coldest. I liked his friends. I liked hers too. There was so many story it was all beautiful.
Heather Gallagher
Dec 31, 2015 Heather Gallagher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: verse-novels
Technically I would've given this a three-and-a-half star rating but given there's no half-stars and it's still the festive season, I'll go with a 4. The thing I love about Margaret Wild's writing is her ability to generate life into every single character - even the seemingly insignificant grocer's family - that really only has a cameo in this story - are each uniquely depicted as real people with real passions and concerns. I really liked the character of Helen in this story - a girl who has b ...more
Becky
Sep 23, 2013 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bingo-challenge
I may up this later to 4 stars, but for right now I'm leaving it at 3.

This is the first book I've ever read written in verse. VERY interesting. But, I feel a lot of the story gets lost, but that's probably just me.

The story was good, but I felt if maybe it had been a traditional book it would have been more involved.

Crystal
This novel in verse explores the consequences of events on one brief night in the lives of several teens. The characters’ lives are spiraling out of control when they are abruptly shaken and have to make decisions about how they will live the rest of their lives.
Dennis
Jan 18, 2011 Dennis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel-in-verse, ya
very well done. I've been a fan of Wild's picture books for some time, and now I rate her, as a writer of novels in verse, up there with Sonya Sones, Steven Herrick, Helen Frost.
Eva Leger
I just got this in the mail through PBS yesterday and had no plans whatsoever to read it any time soon. I only ordered it because I happened to see it available.
I hate the cover so I'm questioning myself as to why I picked this up so soon. The only reason I can come up with is that I haven't read anything in verse since Fallout came out.
So, I started this very morning and finished this very afternoon. And took numerous breaks in between. So it's a very fast one.
The chapters were sort of confu
Igor
May 12, 2013 Igor rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
• Igor Kovalyov
• APA citation: Wild, M. (2004). One Night. New York: Random House.
• Genre: Poetry/Verse Novel
• Awards (If applicable):
• Format: Print
• Selection Process: Recommendation
• Review:
This is a story of a one night stand gone wrong. I feel that both male and female readers have a lot to learn from this text as it shows the consequences of an absentee father and how hard it is for the mother to go through pregnancy at an early age. This event in Helen's life sets of a trigger of events
Anna
3.5 stars and surprisingly good! I really like Margaret Wild's writing style. I just wish the story had been different. I thought Bram was the most interesting character, not Gabe or Helen. I wanted this to be the story of Bram.

Gabe wasn't all that likable, even in the end. I did find the pregnancy plot twist to be surprising -- I wasn't expecting the story to go the way it did. Helen was an interesting character but I had a difficult time buying into her self-determination. Everything seemed t
Trisha
Sep 23, 2013 Trisha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"You're a tough little bird, Hen. Never forget that."

wow, this was a very moving tale about one night that changed the lives of many.

I really liked Gabe and Helen and just the little glimpse you get into their worlds. And I do love a good book in verse. I think sometimes a book theme is too sad or too emotional to read a whole novel about it - especially when fewer words can be so powerful.

My only hesitation with this book is the topic of teenage pregnancy. It's a tough topic and, although I'm g
Jul 24, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mature-teen
Totally loved this book!
I haven't read a lot of books in verse, because I hate the format of poetry. So, when I started this book, I thought it would be boring with no storyline or meaning.
But I was so wrong!
Even though this book didn't have a lot of words, it was very meaningful. It was about real issues that teenagers face everyday. But it did it in a unique way that made me want to keep reading. I loved how the author interpreted so much feeling into the book. And how she made it not just abo
bjneary
Wow, what a great novel in verse!!!I loved Wild's other book, Jinx----but this one is even better about four teens with their own kind of baggage and the mistakes they make and the changes they make to correct. A compelling read with a very sweet satisfying conclusion.
Naomi
May 19, 2012 Naomi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this within a couple of hours. I wouldn't say I loved it but I did find it interesting. Recommended to lovers of realistic fiction.
Maria
May 11, 2012 Maria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not sure what I expected about this book I wanted to love it but I just couldn't.
Cassidye Devers
May 15, 2015 Cassidye Devers rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The overall idea of the story is kind of cool, but there are so many things that are just annoying about this book, and not all of them are content related.

I'll start off with the content related issues, though. First of all, every single one of the teenagers are stereotyped to the max! Al is a drunk, Bram is goth, Helen is a nerdy girl who's insecure about her looks, Gabe is a womanizer and all of them love parties. It's obnoxious that every single main character is so stereotypical; it's almo
Maria
One Night by Margaret Wild is a good and easy book to read especially for the young audult audience and here's a few reasons why... I mentioned this book is easy right? Well it's not very long and wether you're a slow or fast reader you can finish it pretty quickly. It's also very straight foward and easy to understand, although some tough words tend to come out at you here in there, trust me it's easy! Ayways this book is good for young audults because I'm sure teens can relate to this because ...more
Alyssa Johnson
The type of person for whom this book is written for was for mostly teenage girls and or women, who might have a problem with guys or has had the same situation as the girl in this book. i feel that this book is sad when the girl gets pregnant from a one night stand at a party. but towards the end it got better and made me feel happier. she went to find a job and a place to live on her own after she found out she was pregnant. and after she found out that the guy at the party that made her pregn ...more
Christina (Christina's Book Corner)
October 2 - October 3

Summary - Gabe is the best looking guy in school—that’s why his friends send him to get girls to their party. Helen is not much to look at—that’s why her friends want her to come along. But Helen gets under Gabe’s skin in a way no other girl has.

It was one night. One night with lasting consequences. Now Helen has to decide if she wants to keep the baby—and if she should tell Gabe, who hasn’t spoken to her since their one night together.

Filled with love, fear, and the tough c
Anaee
Sep 29, 2013 Anaee rated it liked it
I was looking for books with pregnant girls and I found this one. I found then that One Night was poetry. I decided to try it for a change.

At first I wasn't really into it, and then there was Helen and I fell for it. I actually liked reading about all of those characters. I didn't like Al much though. But I'm glad that every one of them found their way into life. Too bad it had to take Raphael nearly dying for that to happen.

Anyway, for Helen and Raphael and most of the women in this book, thoug
Zoe
Dec 22, 2014 Zoe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book so much, it was like reading poetry. It's been years since I've read it but I just wish I could make everyone read it so they could see the emotional journey that the author took me on. I felt the characters growing so much, this book was impossible to put down, and I would read it over and over again if I could find it in a book store somewhere.
Sierra
Aug 10, 2015 Sierra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. I read this book for the "read a book without letting go of it" challenge for the Booktube-A-Thon 2015. I did enjoy this book but because it was written in prose, I felt that it went way too fast. For me, it kind of read like an outline for a novel instead of an actual novel and I would have enjoyed a little bit more content from this book.
Man
May 09, 2012 Man rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm so utterly thankful the book wasn't what I'd expected it to be. (I thought it would be the ordinary teenage book filled with drama and clichés.)

The beginning had me curious about what would happen, and honestly I couldn't see where it would all go down from there. Even though I'd read the back cover I hadn't the fainest idea, so I was positively surprised as to where the story actually went. The turns of the story I liked, but characterwise I wasn't entirely sold - they weren't developed and
Crystal Joy
This was a very different reading experience. I've never read something that was all in verses, very interesting concept. I just felt though, since it was in verses I couldn't grasp a lot of detail.
Sandravides
Really a quick read. It definitely was a decent good but the whole free verse writing style I don't get. That being said I think there could have been a bit more the story.
Mayla
Apr 08, 2009 Mayla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a guy named Gabe that screws girls and never call them back. He has fun with them at parties and fools those girls with his charm. "One night" was all it took to turn his life around. The girl, Helen that changed his life. One night was all it took to make him realize that he had to responsible with his actions. The week after that one night, Helen realized that she was pregnant. Knowing that having an abortion was going to go against her beliefs, she had the baby and keeps tr ...more
Tia
Jul 21, 2014 Tia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Weirdest fucking book in the world! But surprisingly a good read.
Magdala
Ths was a really-easy-read book, well for me anyways. It was cute. I thought it was sad to have pictured a 16 year old tryng to take of her own baby by herself with no place to live but her friends. She knew she wouldn't be stayng long which is why she got a job. Gabe has finally found someone who he can settle down wit, but Helen doesn't kno her feelngs for him yet. There still working it out, her dads relationship it also working.-small steps. She finds a place to live n meets nice people. Her ...more
Delores Moore
Dec 19, 2013 Delores Moore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a guy named Gabe that screws girls and never call them back.He is the finest boy in the school . He has fun with them at parties and fools those girls with his charm. "One night" was all it took to turn his life around. The girl, Helen that changed his life. One night was all it took to make him realize that he had to responsible with his actions. The week after that one night, Helen realized that she was pregnant. Knowing that having an abortion was going to go against her be ...more
Pamela Hubbard
This is a book told in verse about two young people dealing with some major issues. After one night together, Helen gets pregnant and is forced to make decisions that are best for the child. This book is not your typical teen pregnancy story, but focuses more on how anything can be redeemed, and some of the worst circumstances can result in life becoming better and stronger than before. The story deals with a lot of family/parenting relationships as well. This is definitely a story of hope.
♥ C.A.Anna ♥
I loved this so much. I did finish this the night I began it but only got around to writing this review now. I love the simplicity of the writing, the way it was writing was not only well done but was extremely effective. This novel was moving to say the least and I enjoyed every moment of reading it. I did cry, I did laugh, I loved every second of this and I am so glad that I was told to read this by my best friend. :D

Well done!
5/5 for me today
MJ_Lover
Katie
Apr 12, 2012 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. As a young aspiring author, this book really opened my mind to new style of writing. When I first opened it, I was shocked. I thought that there is no way this could be the book I ordered, but it was everything and more. This book will forever alter my style of writing. I will for sure study different type of writing, not just this style, but all styles. This book is a great for kids looking to explore the English field.
  • By the River
  • Sticky Fingers
  • Walking Naked
  • A Small Free Kiss in the Dark
  • Touching Earth Lightly
Margaret Wild has written more than seventy books and has been published around the world. Her numerous awards and distinctions include the Children’s Book Council of Australia Picture Book of the Year Award for Jenny Angel, illustrated by Anne Spudvilas; The Very Best of Friends, illustrated by Julie Vivas; and Fox, illustrated by Ron Brooks. In 2008 she received the Nan Chauncy Award for an outs ...more
More about Margaret Wild...