Start by marking “Footpath My Ass!” as Want to Read:
Footpath My Ass!

Footpath My Ass!

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  95 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Published October 2nd 2009 by Xlibris Corporation

To ask other readers questions about Footpath My Ass!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Footpath My Ass!

Dee Mills
I enjoyed this book. I felt like I was seeing the trail through Croteau's eyes. Her journal is full of descriptions of the trail, her companions and the wildlife she encountered. I thought she gave good advice about equipment, and in general, tried to share her experience to help others who would hike after her trip. I had just read "In Beauty She Walks" by another older woman, and the experience and the places felt familiar.

However, her lack of editing, especially when she returned to the trai
Sue
Mar 10, 2015 Sue rated it really liked it
Terry Croteau "Bluebird" decided, in her mid 50's, to sell her home, put things in storage an "on hold' to allow herself to hike the Appalachian Trail. The book is really her journal of the time period in 2006-7 that this occurred, allowing the reader to experience through her words the day to day life on the trail for the better part of 6 months. Bluebird's hike is halted within days of finishing the trail when she falls, tearing the rotor cuff of her arm. After surgery and rehabilitation, she ...more
David Ward
Footpath My Ass! And Other Keen Observations Made by a Middle-Aged Woman Hiking the Appalachian Trail by Terry 'Bluebird' Croteau (Xlibris 2009) (796.510974). This book of travel on the Appalachian Trail, while upbeat, is all but unreadable. It is as poorly edited as any volume I have ever seen. The poor author has published a book with as many as five (5) grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors on a single page! Its as though no one ever even read over the original draft before publication! A ...more
Dennis Blanchard
Feb 24, 2011 Dennis Blanchard rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Women hiking the Appalachian Trail
Terry "Bluebird" Croteau and I were on the Appalachian Trail at the same time, in 2007. However, we did not meet because she was about 1,900 miles (3058 km) ahead of me. Think about that, we were walking the same trial, and yet, we were that far apart. That is one long trail. There are longer ones of course, the Pacific Crest Trail on the west coast for example, but many claim that the AT is more difficult.

I can't say, I've only finished the AT, but I can tell you that it is one tough challenge,
Nel
Oct 26, 2012 Nel rated it it was amazing
Okay, maybe I'm a bit biased in my review of this book, but Bluebird hiked with my long-time friend ... Johnny K ... who is mentioned in the book ... I was the ghostwriter (aka Ghosty) for Johnny K. as he did the thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail in 2006 ... with access to his e-mail account, I kept his family & friends informed as to his progress and his trials along the way. I was "logistics" for him ... coordinating care packages to be sent ahead of him on the trail. It was a fun experie ...more
Joanne
Feb 11, 2016 Joanne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Terry Croteau (her AT name is Bluebird) hiked the trail alone in 2006 at the age of 55; she almost made it to Katahdin, but ab. 250 miles short of her destination, she tore her rotator cuff and had to delay finishing her thru-hike for another year. Her journal reads quickly, and her gutsy, optimistic character shines through. Loved reading about VT, NH and ME, especially the trails in NH I know well. After reading this, the prospect of section-hiking seems more do-able to me....
MaryAnn
Jun 03, 2016 MaryAnn rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book alot.
It is a travel memoir.
She is walking the Appalachian Trail,
mostly by herself. I am currently virtual
walking,the same trail.
Pamela
Feb 11, 2015 Pamela rated it it was ok
Other than the lovely illustrations, there is not much to recommend about this book. Poorly written and in need of extensive editing and proofreading.
Brooke
Feb 17, 2015 Brooke rated it it was amazing
Another great and heartfelt account of a seriously grand undertaking. Could have used some proofreading before publishing. I loved it.
Monica
May 06, 2012 Monica rated it really liked it
Shelves: take-a-walk
I could see how my experience would be if, or rather when, I finally attempt my walk on the AT. Toward the end of Bluebird's journey, she realizes that she is completing a goal, though the reason's for working so hard to attain it elude her. She keeps asking herself why she continues to hike. I really like the insight she wrote about here because I can relate to not being the type of person that completes many goals, having a fear of success somewhat, etc. I read how in the end, she finally fini ...more
Katie
Mar 11, 2012 Katie rated it liked it
Basically a published trail-journal of one woman's Appalachian Trail thru-hike. Always interesting to read somebody's story, but I like the memoirs written afterward a bit better. I did enjoy reading the daily reports of her journey, and it was especially nice to read about a woman's thru-hike. If you're an AT-junkie, pick it up.
Linda C SMITH
Jul 18, 2015 Linda C SMITH rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full of emotion and dreams that come true

This is my 3rd book about hiking the APT (the Barefoot sisters and Bill Bristol), each with a different approach h. Bluebird gives hope that even I, at 64, could follow and fulfill that bucket list dream of hiking THE Appalachian Trail.
Grace Forbes
Oct 17, 2015 Grace Forbes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!!!

Thank you Bluebird for allowing me to join you on an awesome journey!! I smiled, laughed, cried; felt the joy, sympathised with your frustration and pain. I am proud of you and your spirit. Congratulations!!! Read the book in one sitting
Lisa
Apr 20, 2015 Lisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked the story but hated the format and repetition and "cuteness".
I am sort of upset with her family & friends who must've read her blog before she published it in book form. Why didn't anybody have the guts to help her with her spelling???
Beth Meyers
I love reading about people's treks on the AT. Terry Croteau's was especially inspiring because I'm the age she was when she hiked. I would have liked a little more of her perspective after it was completed though.
Karen
Aug 07, 2012 Karen rated it liked it
An enjoyable book about one persons journey and thoughts on the AT. What I liked was that "Bluebird" was close to my age when she tru-hiked the trail - gives me inspiration!
Colleen
Oct 10, 2014 Colleen rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Bluebird never met a comma she didn't like and it was, at times, a bit hard to read but I did enjoy her story and would recommend it to those interested in the AT.
Sherry Engel
May 21, 2016 Sherry Engel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book!

This book has drama, emotion, comedy, and is one woman's great story of her journey on the AT. Well worth the read!
Lpaillet
This is the second book I've read about hiking the Applachian Trail. A good read, some humor, and inspiring.
Shari Schawo
Aug 10, 2011 Shari Schawo rated it really liked it
I really liked it. A good positive memoir about the experience of walking the trail.
Susan Kerlin
May 15, 2014 Susan Kerlin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How I would love to have someone fund my journey, an enjoyable read.
Anne Lemieux
Dec 31, 2011 Anne Lemieux rated it really liked it
This journal gives good insight to the hiking of the AT.
Judy Pavarini
Judy Pavarini marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Stacey Lucky
Stacey Lucky marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Cassie Werner
Cassie Werner marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
MaryAnn
MaryAnn is currently reading it
May 22, 2016
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
Tony Osborn
Tony Osborn rated it it was ok
Feb 29, 2016