Start by marking “I Took the Moon for a Walk” as Want to Read:
I Took the Moon for a Walk

I Took the Moon for a Walk

4.19  ·  Rating Details  ·  426 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
Published March 1st 2003 by Barefoot Books

To ask other readers questions about I Took the Moon for a Walk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Took the Moon for a Walk

If You Decide To Go To The Moon by Faith McNultyKitten's First Full Moon by Kevin HenkesMoonshot by Brian FlocaThe Man in the Moon by Luke SpychallaHappy Birthday, Moon by Frank Asch
Moon Themed Picture Books for Kids
16th out of 39 books — 8 voters
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakMadeline by Ludwig BemelmansThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Stinky Cheese Man by Jon ScieszkaThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Favorite picture books
315th out of 329 books — 208 voters

More lists with this book...

Relyn
Jun 09, 2011 Relyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lawsonland
Our summer school theme is NASA and space this year. So, I am teaching fiction and non-fiction about the moon, stars, and aliens. We have lots and lots of cool plans. For example, we are designing our own life-sized aliens, having spaceship races (decorated Frisbee), writing poems about what the moon is really made of: green cheese, milk, white chocolate, a pearl... Their ideas are vast and fun. As a part of summer school, we are reading tons and tons of moon, star, and alien related books. I'll ...more
Kristen
My fellow librarian, Debra, had the kids glue die-cut moons to wooden sticks and then play along taking the moon for a walk, rising higher, tiptoeing through grass, etc. as she read the story. Then she played "Catch the Moon" by Elizabeth Mitchell and Lisa Loeb while she blew bubbles for the kids to catch. Lyrical text, lovely art, fun to play!
Connie
Apr 23, 2010 Connie rated it really liked it
This is a book illustrated by Alison Jay, so that the pictures are gorgeous hardly needs to be said.

The simple rhyming text complements the pictures very nicely, thank you. This book would work very well as a bedtime book for babies as well as young preschoolers.
Robert Beveridge
May 08, 2014 Robert Beveridge rated it really liked it
Carolyn Curtis, I Took the Moon for a Walk (Barefoot Books, 2004)

Full disclosure: since I wrote this review, and in part because of our reactions to Starlight Sailor and I Took the Moon for a Walk, my wife and mother-in-law have become Barefoot Books distributors.

Google Books calls the language in I Took the Moon for a Walk “lyrical”, and they're not just tossing the word around casually. I have looked high and low and found no evidence at all that the words here are based on a song, but if they
Rachel
Oct 16, 2012 Rachel rated it it was amazing
I love Alison Jay's cracked painted illustrations with all the tiny details, but had only read her alphabet book and "If Kisses Were Colors," so I thought I'd give this book a try. This was a cute rhyming bedtime book about a little boy who took the moon for a walk and it followed him home to shed light as the boy went to bed. My favorite illustration was the one about the dew on the grass that the moon called forth, as Jay makes the grass look like it is singing, and the bugs that are crawling ...more
Tori
Jul 24, 2008 Tori rated it it was amazing
This is a really neat book. I love the idea of taking the moon for a walk...it certainly feels as though the moon follows you when you are a young imaginitive mind who is wandering in the early evening. This is a great story with beautiful art and lots of information about night animals and such. Great for all ages, my 2 year old loves it, so do I.

You can buy this and other board books at http://hopegrowers.mybarefootbooks.com
Adrith Bicchieri
This is a sweet book about a boy who takes the Moon for a walk one evening. The language is rhythmic and lyrical, and the illustrations evocative of the American Regionalism art movement, complete with craquelure. Included at the back of the book are facts about the moon and about the night-time world, which I always love to see in picture books!

This would be a great book for a theme storytime which skews towards the preschool end of the early literacy spectrum, though with the bright pictures a
EDUC535
Jun 09, 2016 EDUC535 added it
Shelves: fiction
After everyone is fast alseep, a young boy decides to embark on a magical adventure with the moon. As the two friends go on their journey, they are joined by many silent companions. The lyrical verse that is used in this story describes the magical adventure in a way that celebrates the beauty of the world at night.
Students will love reading these rhymes and repeating "when I took the moon for a walk" at the end of every page. They will also enjoy following along with the pictures that are perf
Lesley Dahlseng
Feb 10, 2014 Lesley Dahlseng rated it it was amazing
There is an enchanting quality to the moon for both young and old, and what could be more magical than taking the moon for a walk? The fresh and imaginative text written in smooth rhyme lends a quality of romanticism that spans the ages, and the illustrations enrapture you with their unique beauty. It's a tough choice, but this may be my favorite children's book.
Bethany Boutin
Aug 25, 2013 Bethany Boutin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
The painted illustrations resemble aged works of fine art, with a crackled varnish finish. Filled with fun and curious facts, the book combines fantasy with the reality of what happens at night time. A visionary story with simple word and rhyme concepts that create a walking pace for a child to amble through reading about what happens when the moon comes out.
Jean
Jan 06, 2011 Jean rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I love this book! I love the concept of the child and the moon out walking, and the meter of the verse is so smooth and musical; the illustrations are also fun and interesting. This is one of my daughter's and my favorites. I've used this to demonstrate meter/verse in my AP Literature class, too!
Liesl
Sweet story, cute and imaginative illustrations. Bonus points for the pages at the end covering The Mysterious Moon and The World at Night. It's fantastic how Barefoot Books go the extra mile to foster learning by including interesting information related to the subject presented.
Katie Jackson
Dec 04, 2011 Katie Jackson rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The boy in this book takes the moon for a walk one night and sees all of the events that happen at night. The truth is the moon is everywhere we go at night so we feel like we are taking the moon for a walk. I would use this book to begin an introduction in a lesson over the moon.
Aleisha Pendleton
Apr 23, 2013 Aleisha Pendleton rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! The illustrations were excellent and the story was really fun. I really like that in the back of the book there is more information on the moon. This would be a great book to read at the beginning of a science lesson about the moon.
Brooke
Feb 25, 2009 Brooke marked it as to-read
Shelves: bilingual
I'm excited to have discovered this book for a couple of reasons. First, I like the science and literature connection. Second, I found it as a bilingual book at www.languagelizard.com. You can choose English and any of 24 (!) other languages.
Terry
The story is lyrical and easy to read. It's a nice combination of reality reading (seeing one's glow in the water) and fantasy (the boy and moon sharing a night-time flight) that will appeal to all readers.
Shelley
Apr 10, 2012 Shelley rated it really liked it
Shelves: sequencing, rhyming
This is a cute book about a boy who goes for a walk with the moon. It is great for ryming and sequencing because it is set to ryme and also their are lots of places the boy and moon go that they can sequence.
Ragon
Feb 01, 2014 Ragon rated it it was amazing
This has been one of my favorite books to read to my youngest. Not only are the illustrations beautifully designed, but it's a wonderful story to read at bed time to calm down an over hyper child.
Jordan Smith
Nov 14, 2015 Jordan Smith added it
Shelves: fantasy
Summary: Over the hills, through the trees, and past the church, a young boy takes a magical nighttime stroll with the Moon, a tremulous fellow with spindly arms and legs and a pair of red shoes. Following their progress are many silent companions, such as owl and fox and sheep and cows and priest and the man on the bicycle. As the hour grows later, the moon and the boy and all their company make their way home.

Activity: After reading this book to my class, I would have my students think about w
Connie
Dec 27, 2012 Connie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
One of my favorite kids' books. Curtis captures the magical way we look at the world when we are young, and the poetry is not sing-songy or trite but lyrical and image-driven.
Andrea
Jun 17, 2011 Andrea rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
I am so attracted to childrens books with great illustrations...this one has great illustrations and a nice story. Good explanation of the phases of the moon at the end.
Lisa
Sep 07, 2009 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful illustrations-- not sure what the medium is but it has that crackle-glaze look to them. Very sweet book about a bedtime stroll with the moon.
Angie
Feb 27, 2015 Angie rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
Synopsis: "When the day has ended and everyone else has fallen asleep, a young boy embarks on an adventure with his friend, the Moon. Their unusual journey is described in lyrical verse, creating a magical story that celebrates the serene beauty of the world at night."

My Review: Munchkin received this in the February Citrus Box. I am not super keen on the artwork style but he loves the book. He likes finding little surprises on each of the pages and he has been completely fascinated with the moo
Dianna
Jun 25, 2010 Dianna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better than most children's books in verse. The illustrations are charming. My one-year-old wants this story every night.
Chrystal
Dec 07, 2009 Chrystal rated it really liked it
This was fun! I liked the art and my daughter even noticed that the moon was missing a shoe on one of the pages...
Laura the Highland Hussy
Feb 28, 2009 Laura the Highland Hussy rated it it was amazing
This is my (and my son's) favorite bed-time book! It's the perfect lyrical, sleepy book for right before lights-out.
Andi Winterfield
A sweet & poetic bedtime story. We read this every night along with Wynken, Blyknen & Nod. Beautiful pictures.
Heather
Jun 05, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: from-library
48 months - rhyming text with American Folk Art style images. Good bedtime rhyme for a wide range of ages.
Melissa
Apr 02, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it
This is a great read aloud to cuddle up and get sleepy with. The illustrations even look dreamlike.
Kate Hastings
Oct 14, 2008 Kate Hastings rated it liked it
Recommends it for: preschool bedtime rhyming
Shelves: rhyming-text
Rhyming text and folk art paintings compliment this quiet tale about the moon and bedtime.
  • Listen, Listen
  • Wynken, Blynken, & Nod
  • I Saw an Ant on the Railroad Track
  • Moon Rabbit
  • Russell and the Lost Treasure
  • Snip Snap! What's That?
  • Dinosaur Kisses