I Took the Moon for a Walk

I Took the Moon for a Walk

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  280 ratings  ·  51 reviews
When the day has ended and everyone else has fallen asleep, a young boy embarks on an adventure with his friend, the Moon. Their unusual journey is described in lyrical verse, creating a magical story that celebrates the serene beauty of the world at night.
Published March 1st 2003 by Barefoot Books

To ask other readers questions about I Took the Moon for a Walk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Took the Moon for a Walk

Relyn
Our summer school theme is NASA and space this year. So, I am teaching fiction and non-fiction about the moon, stars, and aliens. We have lots and lots of cool plans. For example, we are designing our own life-sized aliens, having spaceship races (decorated Frisbee), writing poems about what the moon is really made of: green cheese, milk, white chocolate, a pearl... Their ideas are vast and fun. As a part of summer school, we are reading tons and tons of moon, star, and alien related books. I'll...more
Robert Beveridge
Carolyn Curtis, I Took the Moon for a Walk (Barefoot Books, 2004)

Full disclosure: since I wrote this review, and in part because of our reactions to Starlight Sailor and I Took the Moon for a Walk, my wife and mother-in-law have become Barefoot Books distributors.

Google Books calls the language in I Took the Moon for a Walk “lyrical”, and they're not just tossing the word around casually. I have looked high and low and found no evidence at all that the words here are based on a song, but if they...more
Rachel
I love Alison Jay's cracked painted illustrations with all the tiny details, but had only read her alphabet book and "If Kisses Were Colors," so I thought I'd give this book a try. This was a cute rhyming bedtime book about a little boy who took the moon for a walk and it followed him home to shed light as the boy went to bed. My favorite illustration was the one about the dew on the grass that the moon called forth, as Jay makes the grass look like it is singing, and the bugs that are crawling...more
Kris
My fellow librarian, Debra, had the kids glue die-cut moons to wooden sticks and then play along taking the moon for a walk, rising higher, tiptoeing through grass, etc. as she read the story. Then she played "Catch the Moon" by Elizabeth Mitchell and Lisa Loeb while she blew bubbles for the kids to catch. Lyrical text, lovely art, fun to play!
Tori
This is a really neat book. I love the idea of taking the moon for a walk...it certainly feels as though the moon follows you when you are a young imaginitive mind who is wandering in the early evening. This is a great story with beautiful art and lots of information about night animals and such. Great for all ages, my 2 year old loves it, so do I.

You can buy this and other board books at http://hopegrowers.mybarefootbooks.com
Lesley Dahlseng
There is an enchanting quality to the moon for both young and old, and what could be more magical than taking the moon for a walk? The fresh and imaginative text written in smooth rhyme lends a quality of romanticism that spans the ages, and the illustrations enrapture you with their unique beauty. It's a tough choice, but this may be my favorite children's book.
Bethany Boutin
The painted illustrations resemble aged works of fine art, with a crackled varnish finish. Filled with fun and curious facts, the book combines fantasy with the reality of what happens at night time. A visionary story with simple word and rhyme concepts that create a walking pace for a child to amble through reading about what happens when the moon comes out.
Jean
I love this book! I love the concept of the child and the moon out walking, and the meter of the verse is so smooth and musical; the illustrations are also fun and interesting. This is one of my daughter's and my favorites. I've used this to demonstrate meter/verse in my AP Literature class, too!
Liesl
Sweet story, cute and imaginative illustrations. Bonus points for the pages at the end covering The Mysterious Moon and The World at Night. It's fantastic how Barefoot Books go the extra mile to foster learning by including interesting information related to the subject presented.
Katie Jackson
The boy in this book takes the moon for a walk one night and sees all of the events that happen at night. The truth is the moon is everywhere we go at night so we feel like we are taking the moon for a walk. I would use this book to begin an introduction in a lesson over the moon.
Connie
This is a book illustrated by Alison Jay, so that the pictures are gorgeous hardly needs to be said.

The simple rhyming text complements the pictures very nicely, thank you. This book would work very well as a bedtime book for babies as well as young preschoolers.
Aleisha Pendleton
I loved this book! The illustrations were excellent and the story was really fun. I really like that in the back of the book there is more information on the moon. This would be a great book to read at the beginning of a science lesson about the moon.
Brooke
Feb 25, 2009 Brooke marked it as to-read
Shelves: bilingual
I'm excited to have discovered this book for a couple of reasons. First, I like the science and literature connection. Second, I found it as a bilingual book at www.languagelizard.com. You can choose English and any of 24 (!) other languages.
Terry
The story is lyrical and easy to read. It's a nice combination of reality reading (seeing one's glow in the water) and fantasy (the boy and moon sharing a night-time flight) that will appeal to all readers.
Shelley
This is a cute book about a boy who goes for a walk with the moon. It is great for ryming and sequencing because it is set to ryme and also their are lots of places the boy and moon go that they can sequence.
Ragon
This has been one of my favorite books to read to my youngest. Not only are the illustrations beautifully designed, but it's a wonderful story to read at bed time to calm down an over hyper child.
Connie
One of my favorite kids' books. Curtis captures the magical way we look at the world when we are young, and the poetry is not sing-songy or trite but lyrical and image-driven.
Andrea
I am so attracted to childrens books with great illustrations...this one has great illustrations and a nice story. Good explanation of the phases of the moon at the end.
Lisa
Beautiful illustrations-- not sure what the medium is but it has that crackle-glaze look to them. Very sweet book about a bedtime stroll with the moon.
Jodie
Love, Love, Love this book!!! Beautiful poem with beautiful pictures. This is a family favorite, great for bedtime. Highly recommend!
Dianna
Better than most children's books in verse. The illustrations are charming. My one-year-old wants this story every night.
Chrystal
This was fun! I liked the art and my daughter even noticed that the moon was missing a shoe on one of the pages...
Laura the Highland Hussy
This is my (and my son's) favorite bed-time book! It's the perfect lyrical, sleepy book for right before lights-out.
Andi Winterfield
A sweet & poetic bedtime story. We read this every night along with Wynken, Blyknen & Nod. Beautiful pictures.
Heather
48 months - rhyming text with American Folk Art style images. Good bedtime rhyme for a wide range of ages.
Melissa
This is a great read aloud to cuddle up and get sleepy with. The illustrations even look dreamlike.
Kate Hastings
Oct 14, 2008 Kate Hastings rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: preschool bedtime rhyming
Shelves: rhyming-text
Rhyming text and folk art paintings compliment this quiet tale about the moon and bedtime.
Greg
My all time favorite kids book. Love it. I dont look forward to the kids outgrowing it.
Rosemary
Cute story with fun illustrations and interesting scientific information at the end.
dee
Great prose and awesome illustrations once again by Alison Jay, magical.
  • Gigantic Turnip
  • Maisy Goes to the Library: A Maisy First Experience Book
  • Charley Harper ABCs: Chunky Edition
  • Grumpy Goat
  • Over at the Castle
A Man for All Nations: The Story of Clyde and Ruth Taylor I Took the Moon for a Walk (English and Lithuanian Edition) I Took the Moon for a Walk. Written by Carolyn Curtis Lleve a la Luna a Pasear = I Took the Moon for a Walk Before the Rainbow: What We Know about Acid Rain, Vol. 9