Start by marking “Dark Side of the Veil (Dark Court, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dark Side of the Veil (Dark Court, #1)

Dark Side of the Veil (Dark Court #1)

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  820 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Note: This edition is out of print. The version now available is published under the title "Beyond the Darkness."

Zack Banning hasn't had an easy time of it recently. After spending more than fifteen years in the Marines, he's discharged due to a head injury received in combat. With no missions to run or people to save, it's all he can do to get out of bed in the mornings.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published March 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Side of the Veil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Side of the Veil

Elisa Rolle
Again, I should warn readers to approach this novel with the right expectation: this is a nice M/M romance, the classical example to prove the difference between M/M and gay romance; an M/M romance is basically aimed to a female target, while a gay romance is for both, male and female target; where it’s likely that a gay romance is liked by both, I think it difficult for a M/M romance to find fans among the male readers, but it’s not impossible.

Dark Side of the Veil, the first in the Dark Court
Silkeeeeee
You put a secret faction of the government attempting to breed a male fairy-type person with a big military man, and you have a wild adventure. Male pregnancy, soul mates and and love wrap this fun romance up in hearts. Yes, it's more of a female-type story. I get that. I also enjoy those. The thing I liked most about this book was although paranormal, that wasn't a lot of world building. I really dislike books that get to detailed and have words that are so foreign they make you stagger in your ...more
Betryal
Mar 07, 2010 Betryal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelby P
May 14, 2012 Shelby P rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
I'd never read a book before where males could get pregnant. So I was curious as to how this author would tackle that issue. Well I was disappointed in the story. First off Zack meets Eljin and within 2 days they are declaring their love for each other. Zack is a straight man who's never fathom being with another man and yet in two days he's found his soul mate who is pregnant with his child.

So much more could have been done with the story. It would have been nice if Zach and Eljin had more time
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
This was different than Glenn's usual shifter fare. No new ground was broken except for the mpreg thing. These are typical fae and typical military guys. But there were far fewer continuity errors than usual and I didn't spot any typos. It's sad when I have to use that as an important measure of a book's value.

I just finished three books by Sandrine Gasq-Dion and this book cemented what I'd been thinking while reading them: Stormy Glenn is a far superior writer, she just writes them so fast ther
Riayl
Leaundra
Wow...I loved this book. I kept stopping because I didn't want to finish it too fast, lol. I cannot wait for the next book in the series!!
Mountie
Feb 21, 2011 Mountie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, m-m, military, mpreg
I liked the idea of the books, their storyline. I am a fan of Sci/Fi & Fantasy. I am not squicked by MPreg. There was nothing wrong with any of the ideas that were put into Dark Side of the Veil and the second book in the series; Monte's Marines.

It's just that the execution left a lot to be desired. To many things needed to happen and did happen in such a short time frame that all of them were not executed to the best of their ability. It had to be "Insta-Love, Insta Gay for You" so there wa
Caroline Brand
3.5 Stars

This is not a book I would have usually picked up as fantasy isn’t really my thing but I read it for a challenge and actually enjoyed it.

Zack has received a head injury as a marine but instead of being sent to hospital to recover he is sent to a secret facility where he is made to a have sex with a Eljin, a captured Elf, in the hope of a pregnancy that will produce a super soldier.

When the government release Zack once the task is complete they keep him on a drugs regimen that doesn’t a
Serena Yates
Mar 06, 2010 Serena Yates rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay
Another winner by Stormy Glenn, as far as I am concerned. Be warned though: if you don't like the idea of male pregnancy, this is not the book for you. I admit that the idea is a little weird, but I love the way she describes the whole situation and people's reactions (she did the same in Katzman's Mate), it made me laugh several times.

Other than that the book is filled with tension, deep emotions and gives me hope for a sequel. Eljin and Zack are delightful (if somewhat "unrealistic") character
Joyfully Jay
Feb 05, 2014 Joyfully Jay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crissy
A Joyfully Jay review.

3 stars

Okay. Here’s the thing. I like this author. She’s a go to when I need a light and easy, fun and imaginative read. But I’m not so sure about this story. I like it okay. But it was kind of repetitive and inconsistent. So while this story is light and easy, fun and imaginative, it does have its faults.

Sometimes I need to read a story about a big, strong man who slays the dragons of the smaller, weaker, but still sassy man. This is one such story. Eljin is probably one o
Lasha
Stormy Glenn’s books are a must-buy for me. She’s one of my secret reading pleasures. When I saw that she was writing for Ellora’s Cave in this new series, I was very excited. So, a little warning upfront. There are two camps in the M/M reading world: people who love mpreg (male pregnancy) and people who despise it. There are no in-betweens I’ve found, so if you fall into the latter camp, I’d skip this book. But, for all of us readers who love mpreg, step right up because Beyond the Darkness is ...more
Sammy Goode
Rating is 3.5 stars!

I have to begin this review with a warning: I used to read a lot of these kinds of books when I first began reading m/m a year ago. They were a bit like candy for me, quick, satisfying a tiny craving but never very filling. They had their place in my library when I wanted a quick fix but they were not books that I would reread or even really recommend. Having said that, Stormy Glenn is perhaps one of the best authors if this "fairytale" type of action romance and Dark Side of
Tereza

I wanted a nice easy mpreg story that didn’t contain shifters.

And really, that’s what I’ve got.

The writing was fine, nothing too complicated.

However there were too many grammatical errors in the book - like the author overlooked a letter here, two letters there. Or had some writing disorder. So, no betareading/editing.

3.5 Stars rounded up because I did like the book.

Shannon
Oct 27, 2015 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a cool world created here without being overly described or extreme fantasy. Zach got injured on duty and while in the hospital he was experimented on and made to have sex with Eljin, an elf-like being. He doesn't remember it but then helps Eljin escape attack and Eljin tries to explain. They're being chased and end up going to the other side of the veil into Eljin's world with soldier friends of Zach's. This story left a lot unsaid and now I really have to read the next in the series. Damm ...more
adrienne
typical stormy glenn romance. nothing fantastic, nothing so bad it can't be finished. what is typical stormy glenn? imagine a shorter harlequin romance but with no t&a (see, i was going to write no surprise pregnancies, but... yeah.).

laziness dictates i will use this as my template for all books by the following authors unless a book is remarkably good/bad :
stormy glenn
lynn hagen
scarlet hyacinth
joyee flynn
carol lynne
gabrielle evans

Trix
I hate it when a book has no angst, no tension.

It's a good and bad thing this is such a short story. It's meant as the first installment in a series, a series I won't be pursuing. A good thing as I could finish it without it taking too much of my time (well, actually, it did take me a week to finish). A bad thing as it had nothing in the way of developing the characters or the complexity of the relations.

Ensue spoilers. (view spoiler)
Janean
Read as part of my QGB Q2 Challenge picked by Ozlem. I think its fair to say that everyone knows I am a fan of fantasy. That being said, I loved this introductory story to the series. Although Zack redeemed himself and his poor attitude rather quickly I was totally smitten with Eljin. I look forward to the next book in the series. I want to see how the birth turns out 8)
Crazylady_withcats
I have read the original version of this book (which I quite enjoyed) but according Stormy Glenn's website she has revised it and re-released it as 'Beyond The Darkness'.
I was wondering if anyone has read this version and can tell me if the difference is noticeable enough for me to purchase the new version? Thanks!
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
Love books where the guy is military. This one was quite fluffy - maybe a bit too fluffy. I wanted what felt like more grit as the action seemed superficial. It was there - it just felt sort of glossed over. Enjoyed the coupling here and the secondary characters but needed to know much more about the world.
Lucy
Jan 06, 2013 Lucy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since I really am not a fan of fantasy stories, I was a little leery about this. To my great surprise, I enjoyed it so much. Eljin was adorable, I LOVE the whole Mpreg idea here and now I want to find out what happens and how he has the baby!
Erin
Jul 23, 2015 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-fantasy
This was good! I almost feel guilty for liking Stormy Glenn books so much because so many of her male characters are basically girls with penises, especially with the mpreg plot in this one. Typical description - slender, beautiful, long hair, giggles, crying and needs protecting/saving. It's like candy. I KNOW there is no nutritional value and it is bad for me, and yet I can't stop. I'll read the rest of the series too. Bad, Erin! Having said that, I try to assuage my guilt by remembering that ...more
Rachel
I don't think I ever read this when it was originally released, but I thought this was a fun typical Stormy Glenn book. I enjoyed the pace and all the characters.
Ozlem
Sep 26, 2010 Ozlem rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
4.5 stars. If you like fairy tales, cop stories and mm books, you will definitely love this one.
Veronica /  V
May 26, 2013 Veronica / V rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why did I wait this long to read this series? it's lovely.
MiaJ
Ex-Marine Zack, who has been discharged from the military due to head trauma, rescues twink Eljiin from some bad guys behind a bar. Pursuit follows and we find out that the baddies have been sent not only to hurt the pregnant(!) elf Eljiin but to kill Zack, the unknowing father, as well. As they try to make their way back to Ejiins world, on the other side of the veil, Zack battles with this newfound knowledge.

I have several issues with this book. Zack does a 180 from "I'm not gay, you can't be
Nimue
Aug 04, 2011 Nimue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay, fantasy, paranormal, 2011
After I read Eresse's Sacred Fate I got interested in reading fiction with the maybe a bit unusual theme of male pregnancy. I did some research on goodreads and found a few more mpreg books. One of them is Dark Side of the Veil. I'm a huge fan of Stormy Glenn. I have read most of her shapeshifter fiction and love her writing style. So I was really exited to start with the Dark Court Series.
The first story centers on the discharged marine Zack, who struggles with a head injury and seems to have i
Becca Finn
Everything happened too fast. There were way too many characters in too short a time. It was unfortunate, because for the first part of the book, I became really engaged. But then it just became too much. Not only that but (view spoiler) ...more
Melissa
Jul 31, 2014 Melissa marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Unlikeable protagonist and short, terse sentences. The way the fantasy world is presented is also reminiscent of some (not-so-good) YA novels.

DNF at 31%
Shaun Martin
It's readable, but incredibly stupid....
  • Enraptured (Kaldor Saga, #1)
  • Their Dragon (North American Dragon #3)
  • Faith, Trust, and Stardust (Haven #2)
  • King's Conquest (Mending the Rift #1)
  • Fate (Wyndrah, #1)
  • Mate of the Tsatrya
  • Love's Crash Landing
  • Sacred Fate (Chronicles of Ylandre #1)
  • A Shadow of Wings
  • Alpha Trine (The Valespian Pact #1)
  • Acquainted with the Night
About Me
I believes the only thing sexier than a man in cowboy boots is two, or three men in cowboy boots. I also believes in love at first sight, soul mates, true love, and happy endings.

I live in the great Northwest region of the USA, with my gorgeous husband and soul mate, two boxer/collie puppies, one old biddy cats, and three fish. When I'm not being a mother to my six teenagers or cleaning up
More about Stormy Glenn...

Dark Court (3 books)
  • Monte's Marines (Dark Court, #2)
  • My Eternal Love (Dark Court, #3)