Start by marking “Skintight” as Want to Read:
Skintight

Skintight (Showgirls #1)

3.74  ·  Rating Details ·  2,301 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
There's more than one way to lose your shirt . . .

In a rare moment, professional poker player Jax Gallagher committed a rookie's mistake. He threw an IOU for a valuable baseball that wasn't his to wager into the pot -- and lost. Now the man who won the collectible is demanding his prize . . . or else. The problem is, the ball is in the possession of his estranged father's

Published June 1st 2010 by Harlequin Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Skintight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skintight

Laura the Highland Hussy
4.5

This was a fantastic contemporary romance.

Treena McCall is a dancer in the show la Stravaganza on the Strip in Vegas. She has recently been widowed, but her husband Big Jim had been sick, so the year they'd been married had been taking care of him.
Jax Gallagher is a professional poker player whose father Big Jim married a Las Vegas showgirl. As if that didn't strain his already strained relationship with his father even more, he found out 2 months after his father's death that Big Jim had di
Adam
Apr 25, 2011 Adam rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks-a-z
Post Listen Review: First the plot summary-- This pro poker player needs to get the first 1927 homerun ball that Babe Ruth himself hit in order to keep his fingers from being broken. (Never mind the fact that there is no way that a Vegas showgirl owns it, nor that it is signed by all of Murderer's row, the heart of the Yankees line-up that year). The problem is that his father who owned it died and it has passed to his wife. The father's wife is a Vegas showgirl that he had been married to for f ...more
Samantha
Aug 04, 2010 Samantha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
Showgirl Treena McCall is a sweet woman who had big dreams of opening up her own dance studio. Her dream is derailed when she takes care of her dying husband. She used up all of his fortune and her savings to care for him but she’s not complaining. After his death, she is back in the dance troupe and she just wants to do the one thing she has always loved.

Jax Gallagher is a professional gambler who makes a bet and loses his father’s World Series baseball. The problem is that the ball is in poss
Christine
Did not like this book. Did not like this series. It's one thing to feature Vegas as a "setting" for a book it is quite another to write a story around central characters who rely on Sin City for their livelihoods.

Jax's was nothing special and IMO chosing gambling as a profession is just shy of douche. Then he had a dislike of Treena soley on the basis of her being his Dad's younger wife, that was not really sold but when he boffed her in the book it just came across as skeezy given his inital d
Jess
Aug 12, 2009 Jess rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
this one was pretty horrendous. This is my second book from this author, and the first one was pretty good so I'm surprised with my reaction to this one.

I thought the storyline was pretty mundane and not that interesting. Worst of all it was pretty predictable and from the first few pages I pretty much figured out the relationship aspect. The "action" part of the storyline was pitiful, and the "bad" character in the book who was threatening to break someone's hand if they didn't hand over a bas
Cindy
Dec 10, 2016 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this sweet, fluffy romance. The set-up is somewhat worn - the guy wants a baseball that the girl has and romances her to get it and ends up falling for her - but it is well-done and you really end up rooting for Jax and Treena. The backdrop is Vegas - and she's a dancer while he's a professional poker player. I love the supporting cast - the friends and neighbors that add to the tale. There's even a romance between 2 older characters that prove that seniors can be hot, too. I will defi ...more
Gina (bibliobuff)
Apr 19, 2011 Gina (bibliobuff) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised by how much I liked this one. I've never read anything by Andersen, and I was pleased to find a well-written, charming and touching romance (even though I thought Jax was a world-class ass at first).
Ariel
Oct 26, 2016 Ariel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my normal read.
Serena Miles

libro facil de leer, pero que pasa sin pena ni gloria... me esperaba mucho mas

mi nota 6
Natasha  A.
Aug 05, 2010 Natasha A. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very pleasant surprise. I've never really enjoyed stories where the hero/heroine start out with a mission to use the other. I dislike the lies and the misleading. I decided to put that aside for this book, and I am very glad that I did.

Treena is a great character. She's strong, she has a great sense of values. She's a great judge of character. Her friends are loyal to her and she to them. I want to be her when I grow up!

Jax.....He's where my button was pushed. I hate lies. I hate dece
Brenda Audiobooks Only
Narrated by Johanna Parker = Narration 5*s

I was already a fan of Skintight by Susan Andersen when I discovered it in audio with Johanna Parker narrating and she kicked it up another notch with her superb skills adding just the right touches of emotion and feeling where needed along with excellent voicing for all the characters.

The set up for Jax and Treena's romance in Skintight has "big misunderstanding" written all over it which generally sends me running the other way but as a Susan Andersen
Kimberly
This book was ok. Yeah it was cute.... It really had a good concept.

Jax is a professional poker player. Jax's father had a World Series baseball that Jax bet in a hand and now Jax will do anything to get it to pay off the debt. Including seduce his fathers widow. Treena is a Vegas showgirl. She married Big Jim even though he was older and sick. Alot of people think it was for his money but he left her with nothing except a baseball that could fetch a pretty penny.

The problem is I never really
Nov 01, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, novel, nevada
This is essentially a story of mistaken identity. We're led to believe that professional gambler Jax Gallagher plans a ruthless seduction of Vegas showgirl Treena McCall because his father's gold-digging widow refuses to give him the family heirloom he was promised on his father's death. But we quickly learn that Treena's actually a good girl who treasures her friends who have become a second family to her and Jax is still the awkward kid who never fit in any anywhere after his mother died when ...more
Sana
Jul 24, 2011 Sana rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
Oh yeah, the rating says it all but hear me out anyway. I read chicklit from time to time and thus, happen to encounter certain chicklits I wouldn't mind passing by in the first place. But I pick them up for the hope that they might offer something more than well, the clichéd chicklit. But this? This was an exception.

A time pass read, it proved to be way too twisted for such a fun book from the synopsis. I mean technically, the relationship was based on incest. That is worthy of making anyone pu
Trang Nguyen
This is my first book from Anderson and wasn't too impressed. This is a story about a math genius, poker playing, hot gambler who had a troubled childhood. Jax has finally come home to Las Vegas to collect a treasured baseball that his dead father has left in the hands of his widow. Treena Mchall is an unsuspecting showgirl who doesn't know Jax is actually the son of her late husband. She also doesn't know that he has secretly conspired to steal this family heirloom from her. What they both don' ...more
Mary
Jun 22, 2010 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Treena McCall seems to be your typical Las Vegas Showgirl, what I liked is that this books takes you into a look behind the curtain (so to speak) and gives you a glimpse of how life can be for a showgirl. Jax seems to be your typical bad boy who was estranged from his father, even after his father’s death. A professional gambler, he ends up betting an item that isn’t his and has to secure a way to get this item from his father’s widow, who just happens to be Treena. The character’s are well writ ...more
Maria
Treena McCall is a widow showgirl in Vegas. Four months ago her husband lost his battle to cancer. The battle took more than his life, it wiped out all their savings and now her dream of owning a dance studio is even further away.
Jax Gallagher is returning home to his father's wife to collect the family heirloom collectible baseball. He figures it won't be that hard to seduce her and then find it at her place. His plans didn't take in to account how easy it is to fall in love...

Why I picked it
Lyndi
Seduce your step-mother in order to rob her? No. No. No. No. No. No. Nooooo. Nonononono. No.

I need to look up blurbs and reviews before I start reading these e-books. I get a little ways in and I start to get suspicious... something isn't right here. And I don't mean hints that somebody is hiding something. Somebody is always hiding something. But I mean like, suspicious activity or thoughts that make me think one of the characters is so messed up that their behavior should only be enjoyed in th
Nancy
Sep 05, 2010 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 12-th-grade
Jax Gallagher is a professional poker player but he lost to another guy one night and promised him that he would give him his father's baseball that has a signature of a famous baseball player on it. The problem is that the ball is in the hands of his father's late wife sine Jax's father died a few months ago. Now his plan is to make Treena, the widow, fall in love with hom and he takes the ball. It sounds easy but when Jax finally meets Treena, he realize that leaving her won't be easy. This b ...more
Kanya
Oct 24, 2011 Kanya rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
AliciaJ
Eh, it was ok. I found myself getting bored and wondering if I should bother finishing it. I guess because it was pretty much predictable and I wasn't that invested in the characters. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for a bouncy little beach read. I don't think there was anything particularly wrong with the story, it was fine, hence the three stars. Although I did find it kind of creepy that heroine was married to the hero's dad first. Ewwww.
Linda
Dec 03, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I rate this book as a 3.5 but it really is a good story and a lot of fun to read. Sometimes a man like Jax needs to meet up with a girl like Treena just to make him realize that he is not as smart as he thought he was. He needed something his Father left him in order to save a bet and she was willing to help but he did not ask, he planned on stealing it. That was his first mistake, the second was falling in love with her.
Trina Knittle
This was a good and fun read. I read through it within a few days. It had me laughing randomly throughout the book. I liked how the book sort of shows what it is like to be or could be a showgirl. The characters in this book were well written and added more to the story. A good read and I can definitely see myself reading more from this author. I would love to see more from this story.
Sandra Munger
Jun 11, 2016 Sandra Munger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Treena is a showgirl with an autographed baseball. Jax was supposed to get the ball when his father died. Treena had married his father and helped him thru his illness. Jax goes undercover to steal the ball because he unwisely bet and lost it to an unsavory character. Lies and more lies. Love triumphs.
Holly
I love Jax. He annoys me toward the end, but I still just want to eat him up. I liked a lot about Treena, but the relationship between her and Jax's dad has never made sense to me.

The relationship between Jax's dad and Treena kind of squicks me out, too, even though "nothing happened".

This did hold up well upon re-read though.

Gamatst
I really enjoyed both the "Showgirls" books. I was dreading the "hidden identity" discovery but was very happy with how it went and how it all turned out.

This is also a very enjoyable Recorded Books Audiobook listen, narrated by Johanna Parker.

I wish they would have followed through with an audio version of Kicking it Up!
Alyssa Edmonds
Jenny
Jan 17, 2011 Jenny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ok, but it reminded me of why I don't like romance novels. It had been years since I'd read one, and it will probably be years before I read another. :) If romance novels are your thing, though, you'll probably like it.
Katie
May 19, 2008 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Katie by: Jenny
This is a reread for me. It was one of the first dozen or so books that Jenny had me read last year. I found it used and bought it and reread it....I remember really liking it and reading it again brought back fond memories. Susan Anderson is a good writer and I generally enjoy her books...
Ashley Jackson
Sep 27, 2012 Ashley Jackson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. I really fell in love with the characters especially Mack and Ellen even though I already met them in "Just for Kicks" because I read series out of order apparently. ^.^ Two thumbs up.
  • Something Wild
  • First Comes Love (Hot Water, California #1)
  • The Night She Got Lucky (Dog Walkers, #2)
  • Lola Carlyle Reveals All
  • Man at Work
  • Underfoot (Bellagio #2)
  • He Could Be the One
  • Brazen
  • Love To Love You Baby (Trehan Brothers, #1)
  • Baby, Oh Baby!
  • Mad, Bad and Blonde (West Investigations, #1)
I grew up in a household with two brothers, a daddy, and my grandfather. Too many men, in other words. They diluted M'ma's influence by diverting my attention to things like the danger of answering nature's call in the dead of the night. I've got a hint for those of you raised in a less spit-and-scratch world: check before you sit, because chances are that seat is gonna be up. And they don't even ...more
More about Susan Andersen...

Showgirls (2 books)
  • Just for Kicks (Showgirls, #2)