Start by marking “Strangers (A Faye Longchamp Mystery)” as Want to Read:
Strangers (A Faye Longchamp Mystery)

Strangers (Faye Longchamp #6)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  148 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Faye Longchamp’s new archaeological firm has landed a project in St. Augustine, Florida. In four centuries, America’s oldest city has accumulated skeletons that should probably stay buried. Within a day of Faye’s arrival, a woman disappears, leaving behind blood, priceless artifacts, and a note asking for Faye's help. The detective hires Faye to find the artifacts’ origin....more
Published October 5th 2010 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published May 27th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Strangers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strangers

Sue
Jan 10, 2013 Sue rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery lovers (not hard-boiled!)
I do enjoy this series and have been happy to get a few for kindle. My reading has been a bit out of order so there are a couple I need to catch up on but the series combines two favorites, mystery and archaeology. This particular episode, read while I have a horrible cold, helped me weather the malady. And thankfully my head cleared a bit tonight as I finished so I didn't miss any of the multiple threads being tied up.

The basic plot involves a heavily pregnant Faye Longchamps-Mantooth and her h...more
Shomeret
I had read Plunder, the most recent book in the Faye Longchamp series, earlier this month. I remembered at that point that I hadn't yet gotten to this one. I consider Strangers a much better book than Plunder because the characters interest me more, and it's more thematically integrated. I very much liked the way Faye's pregnancy is braided together with other plot strands. (view spoiler)...more
Lis Carey
This is Evans' sixth novel about archeologist Faye Longchamp and her husband Joe Wolf Mantooth. I haven't read any of the others, and didn't find it an obstacle to following and enjoying this story. Faye has turned her archeology degree into a business rather than a tenure-track teaching position, and she, Joe, and their employees, including Magda Stockard-McKenzie, Ph.D., are in St. Augustine, FL, excavating the back yard of the Art Deco-era mansion, Dunkirk Manor, whose current owners want to...more
Patty
I'm still loving this series. Faye and Joe are fun characters with busy lives and interesting careers. Faye finally has her Ph.D. and is now running her own archeology business with a sideline in police consulting.

Set in St. Augustine there is a lot of wonderful history woven into the mystery, making the whole story deeper and richer.

While examining a site for a rich couple who want to put in a swimming pool Faye and her team find some interesting items, some of which are very puzzling. When one...more
Barbara
As usual, an excellent romp through archaeology in the south. Faye Longchamp has her PhD and has started a private business with her husband Joe Wolf Mantooth. She's also very pregnant and will give birth in about 5 weeks so she's trying to do her job under difficult circumstances.

The best part of this dig, is that it takes place in St. Augustine FL and I've been there. Wonderful insight into the history of the city and lots of tension as Faye and Joe and the other characters get caught up in a...more
Melissa
Another enjoyable book in the Faye Longchamps series of books. In this installment, Faye and Joe own their own archaeological consulting firm and take a job at a gilded-age mansion in St. Augustine, Florida. Along the way, Faye is asked to evaluate a diary written by a Spanish priest who came to the New World in the sixteenth century. A very interesting look at the history of our country's oldest city.
Bikki
I started reading this series as part of a committee and fell in love with Faye and her adventures. Although I haven't read all of the books yet, I really enjoyed this one.

I like reading about a strong, smart, practical woman who has had to overcome difficult circumstances and finds herself in intriguing situations. I feel like I always learn something in the process of each book - even though they are fiction. I look forward to the next book and seeing where Faye and the cast of characters wil...more
PWRL
Mar 27, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-new
SM
Gramy
This book was based in St. Augustine, Florida. There is curiosity and intrigue surrounding archaelogical digs to preserve the historical artifacts. Emphasis was placed on Fay's pregnancy status.
The interweaving of historical facts made the events very plausible. There was plenty to keep the reader interested in the main story, as well as the writings from the priest.
Suzanne's role in aiding the recovery of the victims and looking out for Victor was impressive and noteworthy.
Anna
I read this book because the author was making a visit to my book club. I must admit, it isn't something I would normally read or enjoy, but I did enjoy hearing from the author and learning how she came up with the idea of the Faye Longchamp series. I know several in our book club enjoyed reading her and plan to read the whole series. I do think it was interesting finding out a little about the history of St. Augustine, but archaeological mystery is just not my cup of tea.
Susan
Heavily pregnant, Faye Longchamp-Mantooth is relieved that her small archaeological research company has a job in St. Augustine, making sure a charming bed and breakfast can dig up their backyard for a pool. Then Faye finds the diary of a priest who was among the earliest settlers in Florida, and Glynis, a woman who worked at the b and b disappears. Working with the police to identify artifacts found in Glynis's car, Faye unwittingly finds herself in danger.
Patricia Gulley
Wordy, but still a very good mystery. And American Archaeology not in the SW. St Augustine, the oldest settlement in the US was a great location with historical background.
Donna
This was another solid entry in this series. Faye and Joe have been married a year and have started an archaeological consulting company. Faye is eight months pregnant as they work on a job in St. Augustine, Florida. I always enjoy the historical aspects of these stories and the mystery was interesting although the ending was too over the top. I was glad to see that the racial elements which had become very repetitive were absent this time.
Rowan
Faye has graduated with her PhD in archaeology and starts a business with Joe & Magda that takes them to an historic home in St. Augustine, FL. The history of St. Augustine is woven deftly in to the story of the family who built the home (and their modern descendents) along with the history of the Spanish and French settlers and the native Timucuans. I found this one of the most satisfying entrants in this fun and compelling series.
Babs
Aug 25, 2010 Babs rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Triller/Mystery
Faye and Joe are a cute couple who have own archaeologist consulting firm. They are in St. Augustine getting ready to dig in the back yard of a manor. Things start to happen just in the first 24 hours of being in St Augustine along with some interesting finds in the back yard. This was an interesting read as I always have been fascinated by Archaeology and spice it up with some mystery was a fun read.
night music -- bring on the clowns ♫
Tempted to give this 2 stars for the irritation of way too much belabored telling that constantly interrupts even the shortest scene.

Good story and characters mean 3 stars in spite of it all.
Jen
If you overlook some plot issues and just float along, this is a fun read. I love to read about finding stuff in the ground and Faye's husband Joe is a really interesting character too.
Beverly
I always love the Faye Longchamp books, but this one was not my favorite. Faye is pregnant and excavating in St. Augustine FL. An interesting mystery.
Glenn Harris
Another first rate adventure for my second favorite (after Amelia Peabody Emerson) amateur sleuth and archaeologist, Faye Longchamp-Mantooth.
Em7ar7
It had a lot of very interesting information about new orleans, present and past, but the story didn't seen to flow as well as her previous books.
Magic Mary Austin
I didnt finish this one. I love suspense and mystery and if this series has either of those, it took too long to appear.
Kym Kaczmarek-Mcnamara
Love this one. History, Anthropology and Murder. Can't wait to read the first ones in the series.
Barbara
Quite a good one. Though Joe seemed strangely flat.
Susan
I like this book. A good plot and fun characters.
Amy
Another great addition to the Faye Longchamp series!
Kirsten Lenius
Another good book with archeology and murder.
Kassandra Garcia
Kassandra Garcia marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Bipasha
Bipasha marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Karen Edson
Karen Edson marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Mary Anna Evans has degrees in physics and engineering, but her heart is in the past. Her series character, Faye Longchamp, lives the exciting life of an archaeologist, and Mary Anna envies her a little. Her first novel, Artifacts, won the Benjamin Franklin award and it was named by the Voice of Young America (VOYA) as an "Adult Mystery with Young Adult Appeal." Her second novel, Relics, was an In...more
More about Mary Anna Evans...
Artifacts (Faye Longchamp, #1) Relics (Faye Longchamp, #2) Findings (Faye Longchamp, #4) Effigies (Faye Longchamp, #3) Floodgates (Faye Longchamp, #5)