Start by marking “30 Days of Night, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
30 Days of Night, Vol. 1

30 Days of Night, Vol. 1 (30 Days of Night #1)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  13,827 ratings  ·  370 reviews
In a sleepy, secluded Alaska town called Barrow, the sun sets and doesn't rise for over thirty consecutive days and nights. From the darkness, across the frozen wasteland, an evil will come that will bring the residents of Barrow to their knees. The only hope for the town is the Sheriff and Deputy, husband and wife who are torn between their own survival and saving the tow ...more
Published March 27th 2007 by IDW Publishing (first published 2001)

Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerInterview with the Vampire by Anne RiceDark Lover by J.R. WardThe Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
Best Adult Vampire Books
21st out of 1,258 books — 6,919 voters
Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanThe Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
Best Graphic Novels
98th out of 2,100 books — 4,693 voters

More lists with this book...

Kristijan
1. zvezdica za ideju: Vampiri čekaju da na Aljasci padne nooooooooć da bi napravili pravi mali krvavi pir
2. zvezdica za artwork: Prilično minimalistički u poređenju sa nekim grafičkim novelama, ali po meni sasvim odgovara i tematici i settingu i mračnoj noti koju ova grafička novela ima
3. zvezdica zato što vampiri ne sjaje već su žestoke krvopije
4. zvezdica za humor autora
5. zvezdica zato što sam progutao novelu u rekordnom roku - i bio odmah spreman za još!!!

Nedostaci (da, oni postoje ali ne ut
Jeremy Stephens
I found this graphic novel to be very overrated. I'd like to start off by saying I love the premise- a group of vampires rampaging in an Alaskan town during its annual thirty days of darkness. The problem I have is that the story seemed so rushed. I saw this story as having so much potential and yet the conflict was quickly resolved in a mere two pages. Further more, I felt that the vampires were defeated way too easily. It was almost as if the writer got bored with the story and decided to jus ...more
Erika
Loved the artwork, but I'm kind of so-so on the storyline. I think that has more to do with having seen the before prior to reading this though. This didn't seem quite as fleshed out in comparison. I haven't seen any of the half-baked sequels though, so I'm going into the rest of these blind. I'm hoping it helps..
Issac
A simple but point-black storyline is what this graphic novel offers to us. It has an unrestrained rhythm and one of the best final lines I've ever read. Definitely Steves Niles has a new fan on me. As regard the artwork, it is so darksome, noisy and kind of grungy. Ben Templesmith really knows how to reflect an spectacular horror atmosphere.

Perhaps the only thing I dislike is the fact that this work don't have a more elaborate character development; it is okay considering this is the first vol
Ken-ichi
Vampires go apeshit when they realize (finally) that there are 30 days where the sun never sets in Podunk, AK. Art's kinda fun, story's kinda dumb. No surprises there.
Kate

There's a lot to like with this graphic novel, visually it is pretty stunning although it might not suit everyone. At times it looked quite blurred as though the artist doesn't want you seeing some things too clearly. The artwork still looks pretty amazing but consistency seems to be a bit of an issue, I noticed this more in the beginning of the comic more than the end.

The colour palette is dark, to suit the hopelessness of the survivors situation, with vibrant red being used liberally when blo
Gef
I saw the film adaptation of this novel a few years ago and was delighted to see a genuinely good movie that was: 1) adapted from a comic book, because--let's face it--not all of them have been worth bragging about; 2) firmly entrenched in the horror genre, because--again, let's face it--Hollywood and horror rarely blend well. So, after enjoying the movie I finally got around to reading its source material, and I think is another example of how a good movie comes from a better book.

It's apparen
Jesse
This graphic novel takes an interesting premise - vampires attacking a small town while it lies sunless through an arctic winter - and completely squanders it through mediocre writing and irritating artwork. The characters are beyond shallow, with a few stock lines parceled out on each page, and virtually no actual dialog. Worse, the artist chose to locate the human characters in the same region of the uncanny valley as the monsters, making it hard not to cheer for them to turn their weapons upo ...more
Paul Nelson
Finally got to read the graphic novel that spurned the movie and I have to say it is impressive.
The artwork is something I think you have to get used to, not overly detailed, dark and blurry but it sets the atmosphere to the story perfectly. The darkness brings a world of shadow, hiding places in every corner, creepy and at the same time adrenaline infused.
The story is frantically paced and as a result you never get a connection to the characters, this is one point where the film triumphs over t
Thomas Slyne
30 Days of night takes place in the dark village of Barrow, Alaska. For 30 days each year, no ray of sunshine touches the town. For this reason makes Barrow Alaska a prime target to the bloodthirsty vampires that inhabit the earth. The Citizens of Barrow must put their lives on the line to defend themselves and their families. For the town to survive, a life changing decision must be made the towns police officer that will affect himself, and his family forever.

The art style of this book really
Estelle
Disappointing. There's potential there but the story feels way too rushed and ends too quickly, too easily. There's hardly any suspense or tension at all. As for the artwork I can't decide if I liked it or not. Sometimes it looks great, but mostly it's a mess and it's hard to see what is really happening.
Ugh.
Samantha Arroyo
Dark, creepy, and all around awesome! Loving graphic novels right now. I really, really loved this one, especially with the different type of artwork going on. Gave it such an eerie vibe.
Trudi
LOVED the drawings...amazing atmosphere. Steve Niles has single-handedly re-invented the vampire, stealing it back from the trashy, paranormal bodice rippers!
Matt Ryan
The story opens in a snowy village in Alaska. It is at a point in the year where the sun sets and does not rise for a full 30 days. During this time, the residents of the village fall under attack by Vampires who are just having a field day at the fact that they can be out for 30 whole nights.

Everything from the art, suspense, and the plot kept me into this book. I really enjoyed everything about it, had an interesting story, that kept you wondering what will happen next, it had a good amount of
Hilary
Short and quick. 30 Days of Night is a brilliant concept that... well, I'm as surprised as Steve Niles was that it hadn't been used before. In Barrow, Alaska the sun sets in November and doesn't rise again for a full month. Where else would vampires go, but such a place, for a feast? How would the townspeople react?

The story is simple, but the artwork is maddeningly beautiful. Each image is grotesque and stunningly rendered. The pictures are blurred, swirling, and close to having the same sort o
Querus Abuttu
Magila
4.5

I always have a little bit of a hard time with books that are peppered with obscenities. It feels not creative. This wasn't the worst culprit, but you need to expect going into it that this is a book for mature audiences, and while the blood and death aren't too graphic as a result of the art, the dialogue is intense and sure to offend some readers.

At times, the art was so impressionistic that it became a little difficult to see exactly what was going on. This said, it added to the story far
Guillermo
I'm one of those people who saw 30 Days of Night the movie before picking up a copy of the graphic novel - written by Steve Niles and illustrated by Ben Templesmith. And while the movie is rather vague now - I must've watched it at least two years ago - I have to utter the unholy phrase of "I liked the movie better."

Don't get me wrong, the graphic novel's a must read - dare I say, a part of the ever growing canon of Vampire Literature. But it's lacks something that the movie offers: Build up.

Sur
Emily
Well. This was a pick from my book club. When I first saw the cover, I was like, "what are they thinking?!?" Then I found out that it was a graphic novel...then I found out that a graphic novel is just a fancy name for comic book. So, I was especially apprehensive about the read. But, I finally sat down with it and a cup of coffee and finished it in about a half and hour. It was pretty interesting. The premise of the book is very clever: Vampires congregate and attack a small town in Alaska wher ...more
Amber
When I read this book I honestly was scarred I have never read a vampire book quite like this. I even learned something new, and that is that Alaska has 6 mouths of nothing but darkness. But in this book that isn't a good thing actually its a very very bad thing. I thought it was cool how the people that stuck together lived....least some of the people lived. And i thought it was brave when Eben (Josh Hartnett) Turns himself into one of the vampires just to save everyone that he loves. And knowi ...more
Glenn Rolfe
This was cool. I really think they did an amazing job with the movie, especially considering the small amount of story they had to work with. The art's cool, and the idea is really perfect. Love 30 Days of Night.
Mike
Good premise, but that's all that's good.
Amanda
The artwork was seriously lacking.
Joshua Romero
This series really is a complete package. The covers are stark, with a lot of contrast in the white and black colors. Little bits of red drops are splattered here and there, which really draws the eye to them. While the first two covers are mostly white, the third issue is just the opposite, mostly black with a white vampire skull on it. Wood really did a nice job on them, making them an attention getter. Even going through my back issues, the covers really stood out from the rest of my comics.

T
Matt Mongiello
I found this comic pretty underwhelming. The writing and dialogue is sparse and clumsy. The art is fuzzy, which makes it difficult to tell what's happening in many of the panels (yes it sets a certain mood, but at an unacceptable cost). Overall the story feels juvenile in a way that squanders a very interesting set up and a unique take on vampires.

***spoilerish***

A couple of big complaints about the narrative

The 30 days pass with so little happening that I thought only about 4 days had passed w
Gayle Francis Moffet
Short version: A bunch of vampires go to Alaska to eat people for 30 days.

You'd expect the story to focus on the few survivors huddled in a basement having lots of interpersonal conflict and drama. Instead, Niles focuses on the whole feel of the event, showing us the vampires chomping away at people and discussing what they've done while the survivors are seen in short bursts as they simply try to make do. The drama comes from the fear and claustrophobic feel of the month-long darkness surround
[Name Redacted]
An excellent revival of a more ancient form of the vampire legend. The art is phenomenal, the pacing brisk, and the writing crisp, but I think the best part of this story is the decision to depict vampires as inhuman predators driven by hunger instead of sex. Rather than embodying human sensuality, they are written and drawn as shark-like beasts, whose seeming humanity masks a horde of gluttonous sociopaths.
Israel
La historia es simple y directa, escrita con un ritmo contagioso y vertiginoso, una lectura adictiva es lo que ofrece esta novela gráfica. Las ilustraciones de Ben Templesmith reflejan acertadamente la oscuridad y el horror del relato.

Un giro interesante en el agotado mundo de los vampiros, totalmente recomendable, una lectura que no tiene pérdida.
William Redd
I remember hearing a lot of great things about 30 Days of Night before I read it. Someone at the local comic shop recommended it to me, and after seeing Templesmith's beautiful art style, I immediately picked it up. This was the first thing from Steve Niles that I read, and he quickly went to the top of my "creators to watch" list.

The whole thing is a wonderfully executed horror story with a very John Carpenter feel (in fact, you could almost say it's The Thing meets Assault on Precinct 13 with
Edwin Lais
Great art! Very experimental and risky, so I can understand if others won't like it. I picked this up in my hunt for Horror stories, but the story itself isn't very Horror-like, more the atmosphere and artwork. So if you're looking for something to scare you then this might not be for you.

A generally fun story with standard plot twists (not underwhelming not too amazing either). Interesting concept, but like many others said, the narrative is fairly rushed, with the entire Volume's story being c
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 8: Red Snow
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 6: Spreading the Disease
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 10: 30 Days 'Til Death
  • 30 Days of Night: Official Novelization of The Film
  • The Crow
  • Hellboy, Vol. 4: The Right Hand of Doom (Hellboy, #4)
  • Johnny The Homicidal Maniac #1
  • Fell, Volume 1: Feral City
  • Sin City, Vol. 5: Family Values (Sin City, #5)
  • Blood: The Last Vampire 2002
  • Wanted
  • Hellblazer: Original Sins
  • Hellblazer: All His Engines
  • Echoes
STEVE NILES is one of the writers responsible for bringing horror comics back to prominence, and was recently named by Fangoria magazine as one of it's "13 rising talents who promise to keep us terrified for the next 25 years."

Niles is currently working for the four top American comic publishers - Marvel, DC, Image and Dark Horse. He got his start in the industry when he formed his own publishing
More about Steve Niles...

30 Days of Night (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 2: Dark Days
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 8: Red Snow
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 9: Beyond Barrow
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 10: 30 Days 'Til Death
  • 30 Days of Night: Night, Again
30 Days of Night, Vol. 3: Return to Barrow 30 Days of Night, Vol. 2: Dark Days Mystery Society Criminal Macabre  28 Days Later: The Aftermath

“The climate of Barrow is Arctic. Temperatures range from cold as shit to fucking freezing.” 23 likes
“Los que fueron masacrados huyeron a su manera. Huyeron hacia algo que había mas allá; el cielo o en el peor de los casos la oscuridad eterna. Ellos fueron los afortunados porque los que quedan atrás están en el infierno.” 0 likes