Start by marking “God Sees the Truth, but Waits” as Want to Read:
God Sees the Truth, but Waits

God Sees the Truth, but Waits

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  430 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Do your students enjoy a good laugh? Do they like to be scared? Or do they just like a book with a happy ending? No matter what their taste, our Creative Short Stories series has the answer.

We've taken some of the world's best stories from dark, musty anthologies and brought them into the light, giving them the individual attention they deserve. Each book in the series has

Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1872)

To ask other readers questions about God Sees the Truth, but Waits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God Sees the Truth, but Waits

Sanjay Gautam
I think the writer of 'Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption', Stephen King, must have been inspired by this story.

Wisdom comes as a gift along with this beautiful story.
Kurt Walters
Oct 28, 2008 Kurt Walters rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in the meaning of forgiveness.
Recommended to Kurt by: friend
This is simply one of the most beautiful stories I have ever read. Forgiveness is something undervalued nowadays.
Amalie
This one deserves five stars. There are so many meaningful layers and the fact the title sounds paradoxical makes the story even better. I read this with the group so I don't feel the need to review again. Anyone who's interested can checkout the discussion thread.

dely
Aksionov, ingiustamente accusato dell'omicidio di un mercante, viene mandato in Siberia dove trascorrerà ventisei anni della sua vita. La giustizia lo condanna e anche la moglie dubita della sua innocenza; Aksionov, sentendosi abbandonato da tutti, si affida a Dio tramite la preghiera. Solo Dio conosce la verità ma non interviene. Un giorno nel campo di lavoro arriva il vero assassino che aveva fatto ricadere le colpe su Aksionov.
Tema principale del racconto è il perdono e la fede in Dio.
Naveed Nawaz

Iyyaka Nabudu wa iyyaka nasta-een. Whatever these great russians wrote, it didn't fail to touch your heart. Forgiveness, kindness, patience and empathy are the most important things in life. No matter what Allah puts you through, face it thankfully and humbly. HE knows best. Be forgiving because HE likes those the most who are forgiving. Beautiful beautiful little story.
Kennedy Ifeh
.إيم
1.5 to 2 stars at most
It Could have been written in a better way. Morever, I don't really support this complete and utter forgivness.
I count on some longer works of Tolstoy, because it didn't work out with the short ones.
M. Özgür
In somewhere throughout the text, Tolstoy makes Ivan Dmitrich Aksionov say to himself that,

I remember these very words from opening part of the holy book, and that was really striking!

According to my opinion, this short story points out the useless of struggling against His will and one should accept what is his/her destiny.

Aksionov seems to portray a very selfish character, at the e
Chrissy
I read an edited edition of this story (so I don't know if there was any bad language or anything), but it was a moving story about injustice, forgiveness, and victory. I definitely recommend it!!
Ken Moten
I guess by Russian standards this could be considered to have a happier ending. I think of two things a movie and a short story that became a movie. The movie that came to my mind is Kenji Mizoguchi's Ugetsu which tells of trying to get wealthier only to lose your most prized possessions on a whim. The other story is 'The Shawshank Redemption' from Steven King's Different Seasons which ask how do you forgive when you can gain no consolation from it. Of course, it all comes back to the title of t ...more
Patrice
"It seems that only God can know the truth, it is to Him alone we must appeal, and from Him alone expect mercy."
Sylvia
Read this in my very early teens and it made me cry...a decade later it still does. a beautiful but sad tale.
Johanna Gail Tongco
Ever doubted on God? The book lives with its title, God truly sees the truth but waits. At times we may think that God is unfair because we are able to experience injustices in our lives, but as you read the book, you would get to learn the value of waiting.
Waiting for something may really be very hard. We wantonly striving for those certain goals in our lives, but while waiting, we tend to be more faithful to God. On the process of waiting as well, we got to change for the better. But it all de
Josephine
Travis
Oddly enough, there are a lot of parallels between this and Stephen King's "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption", but with one focusing on grace, and the other on hope. They both feature a man framed for murdering someone at an inn. The man petitions for his freedom, but eventually resigns himself to his fate in prison. He becomes a go-between for the prisoners and the guards. Then a new prisoner arrives, one who might be able to free the man. An escape plot is hatched involving digging a ...more
Keith
"God Sees the Truth, but Waits" is a tragic and emotional short story of an innocent man who is sent to prison in Siberia for 26 years for a murder he did not commit. At the end of the novel he dies, even though the actual killer confesses. The story centers around guilt, religion and forgiveness. I first read this story when I was a teenager.
story can also be found at: online-literature.com
Aseel
When they were gone, Aksionov recalled what had been said, and when he remembered that his wife also had suspected him, he said to himself, "It seems that only God can know the truth; it is to Him alone we must appeal, and from Him alone expect mercy."

And Aksionov wrote no more petitions; gave up all hope, and only prayed to God
Janith Pathirage
A really good short story with a strong moral value. I don't think I can agree with the way Aksionov reacted to his enemy, but I was not disappointed with the way things turned out eventually. The most important thing stands out in this tale is the message Toltoy's trying to give to the society
Vanjr
Another short story winner from Tolstoy. Many think of Tolstoy as a master of the long novel, but I have really enjoyed his short stories and novelettes.
Jay C
A story of the power of forgiveness? Perhaps.
Sanskriti Sangal
Robert Terrell
A wonderful short story.
Asséil Bokharouba
غلطة فاجر تسببت في اهدار 26 عام من حياة رجل طيب
مسكين يا أكسيونوف.
Janin
It seems to me that God Sees the Truth-- then sends it as a dream warning through the wife. Ignoring that warning has dire consequences-- and like Job, Aksionov suffers through them retaining his faith. Perhaps it's a sign that fate cannot be avoided. Perhaps it's a commentary that through good and evil, ones innate nature doesn't change. Or perhaps it's a suggestion not to laugh at dreamed warnings.
Annelyse
An Amazing short story about a merchant and how an unexpected even changes his life for the worse, but in a way, for the better. Definatly one of the better short stories I have been able to read while in my English class. This story is really good at getting you to think and really does give you a view on things you wouldnt really think of before.

All together, just an superb story.
Omar
Well it was my second chance still waiting the 3rd chance
We can know about forgiveness from other authors & in a better way 'may be'
All I wanted is read something special original & fascinating
It's A typical Russian story!
Specially the sad ending
2.5/5 would be good for me
Rose
This is the most beautiful short story I've read
I cried when I read it; this is a powerful wakeup call for those of us who are trapped by worldy and materialistic things, when God is the only thing that matters.
Dinda Tisi
This is one of few short stories that i've read multiple times. Clearly one of the best Tolstoy's short stories. I describe it as a short story with a great moral message. I was so touched when i read it.
  • The Bet
  • The Queen of Spades
  • With Morning Comes Mistfall
  • A Dog's Tale
  • The World's Greatest Unsolved Crimes
Lev Nikolayevich Tolstoy (Russian: Лев Николаевич Толстой; commonly Leo Tolstoy in Anglophone countries) was a Russian writer who primarily wrote novels and short stories. Later in life, he also wrote plays and essays. His two most famous works, the novels War and Peace and Anna Karenina, are acknowledged as two of the greatest novels of all time and a pinnacle of realist fiction. Many consider To ...more
More about Leo Tolstoy...
Anna Karenina War and Peace The Death of Ivan Ilych The Kreutzer Sonata Resurrection