Dawn Land

Dawn Land

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  166 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Ten thousand years ago, in what would one day be known as North America, Young Hunter set out on an epic quest to overcome the Stone Giants who were terrorizing his people. Pitted against creatures of legend, Young Hunter journeyed to the innermost heart of his own humanity, even meeting the very gods of the land. He was entrusted with his tribe’s most dangerous secret, a...more
Published October 12th 2010 by First Second (first published 1993)

Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanThe Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
Best Graphic Novels
498th out of 1,657 books — 3,963 voters
Fables, Vol. 1 by Bill WillinghamLocke & Key, Vol. 1 by Joe HillThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanFables by Bill WillinghamJack of Fables, Vol. 1 by Bill Willingham
Graphic Novels with Fairytale or Mythical elements
30th out of 106 books — 24 voters

More lists with this book...

Pauline
Aug 03, 2012 Pauline rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of myths, legends and folk tales
As a child, I distinctly remember cleaning out my local library's selection of myths/legends/and tales from around the world. There must have been around 40 books and I just couldn't get enough of them. When I had read all there was to offer, I was disappointed and wanted more. So, when I saw a graphic novel based off of a Native American tale, it was like I was a child again.

I really enjoyed Dawn Land. In a nutshell, it has all the basic elements of a fantastic legend. There is a prophecy/lege...more
Mary Beth
An amazing story, gracefully and elegantly retold in graphic form, I thoroughly enjoyed "Dawn Land." My only regret was how quickly it ended; I felt that a couple more pages of Young Hunter's journey home would have allowed for a more gentle release from the story.

That said, I loved this tale of an ancient New England and the people and mythologies that were here 10,000 years before us. Young Hunter is on a quest to defeat the Stone Giants, actual giants who terrorize and make meals of the "Onl...more
Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly
Ho-hum. Nothing really unique about the story: one supposedly special man, some friends, great ancestral past, friendly spirits, guiding dreams and apparitions, powerful enemies, a special weapon, moments when everything seemed lost. Like in what, The Lord of the Rings?

Lazy readers and those who appreciate good illustrations or drawings may rate this higher, however, since this is a graphic novel. The dialogue is sparse but one really needs to pay attention to some details in the characters (mal...more
[Name Redacted By Goodreads Because Irrelevant to Review]
A beautiful and evocative adaptation of Bruchac's pre-historic mythical epic, a tale of the first bow and the defeat of the stone giants based in North Eastern Native American legends (specifically, Abenaki). I felt, while reading it, as though I were back in the forests of my childhood homes, wary of the hairy men and the blood-drinking skeletons.
Ariel
Jun 08, 2014 Ariel rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
THE ART, MAN, I DONT KNOW. One the one hand it felt really dramatic and organic and earthy and cool, but on the other hand it was too dark and hard to decipher and missing detail. Art is really subjective though, so what I see as too dark you might see as perfect. I would have liked a little more clarity, though.

As for the story, I'd say it was pretty average. It flipped perspectives a few times and I found the transitions poorly done. The story line also felt kind of muddy - i was often a littl...more
Samantha Waxman
I absolutely love the "myth rewritten as graphic novel" genre, and this book is an excellent example. It's an absolutely beautiful retelling of a myth of the American Indians of New England: Ten thousand years ago (or so), the giants come to pillage and destroy the villages of the People of the Dawn. Young Hunter must go forth and defeat them, though in doing so, he must learn to use the most powerful weapon the People of the Dawn possess. But will this weapon destroy them too?

I love the art in...more
So "Dawn Land" by Joeseph Bruchac has been on my mental to read list for a long time. I enjoy Native American stories and writers, plus it won wheelbarrows full of awards. So imagine my surprise when I found there was a graphic novel adaptation of it. Now usually adaptations leave me a bit... nervous. There are a lot of bad ones out there. And having not read the original source material I cannot tell you if it's a faithful adaptation.

But as a graphic novel, it was BEAUTIFUL. It's a classic her...more
Jason
I went into this book with no expectations and was pretty thoroughly blown away by it. Based on the novel of the same name by Joseph Bruchac, this book uses Native American myths to tell the story of two cousins set 10,000 years in America's past, where one young man is blessed by fate and the other is cursed by it.

From my review: "As a plot, Dawn Land seems fairly ordinary, but its execution, particularly artistically, is nothing short of extraordinary. Davis has a measured storytelling style,...more
Nic
A fascinating book, full of the seemingly well-researched details of a culture very different from that of modern America. I'd recommend it to anthropologists, or those interested in prehistoric cultures or way-old American Indian history, just for that. Its unique voice, too, made the book interesting - the fact that it was written by a traditional Native American storyteller really shows. The descriptions especially are beautiful, simple, and poetic, and the straightforwardness makes the shock...more
Eli Poteet
The only criticism I have is my personal opinion that the creators didn't need to use the word "pussy" derogatorily. It's unnecessary and perpetuates a culture inhospitable to women. Adolescents will read this graphic novel and the use age of this putdown will be normalized.
Nonetheless, this ancient myth used countless real representations of an ancient culture and I enjoyed the black & white brush strokes.
Virginia
Part of what I liked about this book is that it's set in the area between the Hudson & Connecticut Rivers, north of where we live but similar terrain. Also, it takes place in "pre-contact" and/or "ceremonial" time (terms I learned from the book jacket) at the end of the last ice age and our newspaper has been running a series of articles on ancient stone and cave formations that are mysterious and unexplainable unless, to judge by this book, Indian mythologies provide the answers, which is a...more
Emily Rogers
Audience: ages 13 and up

After giants eat his parents, Weasel Tail finds himself wounded and left alone to care for his baby cousin, Young Hunter. It is not long before the tribe finds the two orphans and takes them back to the village; but Weasel Tail and Young Hunter soon find themselves on very different paths. Barely a man, Young Hunter sets out with the company of his dogs to fight the giants.

This powerful, engrossing tale is beautifully written. It is unusual to find a Native American book...more
Jewel
I wish this graphic novel was printed in color, otherwise I would have liked it more. most of the characters looked the same which made following the story difficult since all panels where printed in gray scale. plus, I was originally attracted by the water color cover; water colors are my favorite.
Mazohyst
2.5 stars = 50%

Nice art, although I'm so not used to the style. Sometimes it's hard to keep differentiate some of the characters. The story wasn't entirely amazing but interesting enough for me to keep reading (even though I vow to finish each and every book I start). Also, the cover is crazy pretty.
Mrs.Kerr ESL
Loved it - a billion times! The book was more adult than I thought it would be - there were bad words and pictures of naked people. Yes, I realize that you're all going to check out the book now (I turned it in today, so it's back in the library!). There are some very creative insults as well. But the story is a creation story at heart, and I loved hearing about White Buffalo Woman from a different viewpoint. I had not read very much about the Abenaki before, and I loved reading about them in a...more
Georgia Meagher
Quick adventure! It was basically the Native American version of Attack on Titan... But the art style was interesting and I read it in one sitting.
Darth
Interesting story. I was initially skeptical of its authenticity--was this pan-Indian, romanticized, only partly informed? The author's notes impressed me with his adherence to cultural origins and the values of his tradition. Some of the visual storytelling was a little opaque, and a more mainstream aesthetic would have emphasized certain parts of the drama; however, this carried the feeling of an elder telling a story: sometimes hard to follow, but maybe that's because you need to pay a little...more
Emilia P
I understand that this was lovingly, thoughtfully made (thanks to the afterword) and I can say that the art was beautiful and haunting but, heck, I could not, for the life of me, follow it, and the things that happened just seemed hazy and disjointed to me, and so there is my jerk review. I think this book could have been wonderful with a bit more third-person narrative authority, but, lacking that, it was unfollowable for me. I am meanie.
Edna
Loved this native-American story about two close cousins one of whom is cursed to be a slave to the bloodthirsty giants and the other who is entrusted with a weapon and destined to complete a quest to save mankind with his intelligent and loyal wolves. Mystic drawings beautifully illustrate the closeness (overlapping?) of man's relationship with the earth, the sky (the gods, and the animals.
Julian
This was a great story set in post-ice age North America; a marvellous folkloric tale involving spirits, ancient predators and giants pitted against the ingenuity, resilience and creativity of humans. Wonderfully written and illustrated. The author is an Abenaki steeped in the folklore, beliefs, tracking arts and other ancient skills of his people. An absolutely fascinating story.
Shannon
Beautiful graphic novel. Reminiscent of Broken Saints. The story is familiar - David and Goliath - but the presentation is wonderfully fresh. Sweeping scenic vistas, pages and pages without text or dialogue, immaculate pacing. Adult themes are suggested rather than extensively detailed. Adequate length and character development, and the story resolves. Perfection.
Rickyjez
Dawn Land is a fabulously illustrated graphic novel about the first peoples of the Americas. This creation story takes place when Megafauna such as saber toothed tigers and mammoths inhabited our land. While most everything has changed in the more than ten thousand years since the story takes place, the complexity of people and their ability to forgive is current.
Sonic
An amazing story so so beautifully told, first by Joseph Bruchac and now, here with the gorgeous rendering and adaptation by Will Davis! While I have not read Bruchac's original "Dawn Land" I must say the silent visual language of Davis's exquisite drawing and brushwork bring this story to life in a poignant and powerful way! Beautiful!
Kim
Joseph Bruchac wrote a novel called Dawn Land, a prehistory epic of the First Nations people of North America years ago. This is the graphic novel version--and it is a stunner. I love the visual energy, the epic story line, the amazing characters and the depiction of different First Nation groups. Definitely one for my collection!
Michael
A sweeping epic by the greatest living Native American storyteller, retold brilliantly as a graphic novel with very few words. A journey, both physical and spiritual, to challenge the deep terrors that stalked the footsteps of ancient man for the future of the world. Mesmerizing.
High School Graphic Novel
Borah
I'm going to be honest with you. I had mixed feelings.

You can read about me muddling through all of them in my review at MyEntertainmentWorld.ca.
Alejandro
Este libro está re-bueno. Con un arte elegantemente simple y una historia que suena a verdadera, aunque esté situada 10,000 años atrás. Sin superhéroes, archivillanos, ni chavas de proporciones imposibles. Una muy grata sorpresa.
Jenna
At times distracting drawing style but at the same time fluidly and emotionally drawn. Couldn't tell who was who at some points as well (other than through clothing). Interesting plot.
Lauren
A well-constructed story based on Abenaki legends gathered from research and oral tradition: two cousins and their struggles as one is chosen, and the other is cursed.
  • Americus
  • 21: The Story of Roberto Clemente
  • The Last Dragon
  • One Soul
  • Mush!: Sled Dogs with Issues
  • Defiance (Resistance, #2)
  • Bloody Chester
  • Salem Brownstone: All Along the Watchtowers
  • Sumo
  • Ivy
  • Sharaz-De
  • Set to Sea
  • A Flight of Angels
  • The Lives of Sacco and Vanzetti
  • Hera: The Goddess and her Glory (Olympians, #3)
  • Evolution: The Story of Life on Earth
  • Marzi
  • The Unwritten, Vol. 6: Tommy Taylor and the War of Words
Joseph Bruchac lives with his wife, Carol, in the Adirondack mountain foothills town of Greenfield Center, New York, in the same house where his maternal grandparents raised him. Much of his writing draws on that land and his Abenaki ancestry. Although his American Indian heritage is only one part of an ethnic background that includes Slovak and English blood, those Native roots are the ones by wh...more
More about Joseph Bruchac...
Code Talker: A Novel About the Navajo Marines of World War Two Skeleton Man Dragon Castle Wolf Mark Sacajawea