Start by marking “Dawn Land” as Want to Read:
Dawn Land

Dawn Land

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  246 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
Ten thousand years ago, in what would one day be known as North America, Young Hunter set out on an epic quest to overcome the Stone Giants who were terrorizing his people. Pitted against creatures of legend, Young Hunter journeyed to the innermost heart of his own humanity, even meeting the very gods of the land. He was entrusted with his tribe's most dangerous secret, a ...more
Published October 12th 2010 by First Second (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Dawn Land, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dawn Land

Mary Beth
Feb 01, 2011 Mary Beth rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic
An amazing story, gracefully and elegantly retold in graphic form, I thoroughly enjoyed "Dawn Land." My only regret was how quickly it ended; I felt that a couple more pages of Young Hunter's journey home would have allowed for a more gentle release from the story.

That said, I loved this tale of an ancient New England and the people and mythologies that were here 10,000 years before us. Young Hunter is on a quest to defeat the Stone Giants, actual giants who terrorize and make meals of the "Onl
Pauline
Aug 03, 2012 Pauline rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of myths, legends and folk tales
As a child, I distinctly remember cleaning out my local library's selection of myths/legends/and tales from around the world. There must have been around 40 books and I just couldn't get enough of them. When I had read all there was to offer, I was disappointed and wanted more. So, when I saw a graphic novel based off of a Native American tale, it was like I was a child again.

I really enjoyed Dawn Land. In a nutshell, it has all the basic elements of a fantastic legend. There is a prophecy/lege
Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly
Ho-hum. Nothing really unique about the story: one supposedly special man, some friends, great ancestral past, friendly spirits, guiding dreams and apparitions, powerful enemies, a special weapon, moments when everything seemed lost. Like in what, The Lord of the Rings?

Lazy readers and those who appreciate good illustrations or drawings may rate this higher, however, since this is a graphic novel. The dialogue is sparse but one really needs to pay attention to some details in the characters (mal
Ariel
Oct 25, 2014 Ariel rated it it was ok
THE ART, MAN, I DONT KNOW. One the one hand it felt really dramatic and organic and earthy and cool, but on the other hand it was too dark and hard to decipher and missing detail. Art is really subjective though, so what I see as too dark you might see as perfect. I would have liked a little more clarity, though.

As for the story, I'd say it was pretty average. It flipped perspectives a few times and I found the transitions poorly done. The story line also felt kind of muddy - i was often a littl
Cornerofmadness
Sep 14, 2015 Cornerofmadness rated it really liked it
Monique
Apr 04, 2015 Monique rated it it was ok
Drawn in by the beautiful cover and intriguing plot, I picked this up for a steal through Bookoutlet. As it is, I'm glad I paid so little for it.

While the comic did make me wish to read the original novel that its adapted from, I found Davis's visual interpretation a bit lackluster. His illustrative style has promise but is more often than not confusing. Lack of negative space, dark shading and awkward panel transitions often make the action indiscernible. People look far too similar and are di
Whitney
Jul 30, 2014 Whitney rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I enjoyed the story and writing style, and would consider reading the original novel. However I did not always like the art, which I feel prohibited me from fully investing in the experience of reading this graphic novel. Basically, the art was inconsistent, sometimes gorgeous and perfectly capturing the mood and detail of a scene, other times it was just downright bad. I appreciated the blurry, dream-like style because I felt it contributed to the mythic quality of the story, but unfortunately ...more
Emilia P
Jul 28, 2013 Emilia P rated it it was ok
Shelves: comic-books
I understand that this was lovingly, thoughtfully made (thanks to the afterword) and I can say that the art was beautiful and haunting but, heck, I could not, for the life of me, follow it, and the things that happened just seemed hazy and disjointed to me, and so there is my jerk review. I think this book could have been wonderful with a bit more third-person narrative authority, but, lacking that, it was unfollowable for me. I am meanie.
Shazza Maddog
Aug 31, 2015 Shazza Maddog rated it it was amazing
A telling of a story based about 10,000 years in our past, taking place in North America before the Spanish/French/British invasions. Young Hunter's parents were killed by monsters known as the Fire Hunters, giants roaming the Dawn Land with a taste for human flesh. His cousin, Weasel Tail, saves Little Hunter from death but is marked by one of the Fire Hunters and becomes the dog of the Fire Hunters. An evil he cannot purge enters into Weasel Tail as he ages, marking him from the One People in ...more
Eden
This is the graphic novel version of Joseph Bruchac's 1993 novel Dawn Land. I haven't read the original novel, but I definitely want to!

This graphic novel tells the story of Young Hunter, who lives in what today would be known as North America. He has to set out on a quest to defeat the stone giants.

I think the artist, Will Davis, did a wonderful job. At the end of the graphic novel there is a note from Will Davis, explaining how he came to adapt Dawn Land into a graphic novel.

Like many of Josep
[Name Redacted]
Jul 23, 2012 [Name Redacted] rated it it was amazing
A beautiful and evocative adaptation of Bruchac's pre-historic mythical epic, a tale of the first bow and the defeat of the stone giants based in North Eastern Native American legends (specifically, Abenaki). I felt, while reading it, as though I were back in the forests of my childhood homes, wary of the hairy men and the blood-drinking skeletons.
Samantha Waxman
Dec 28, 2013 Samantha Waxman rated it really liked it
I absolutely love the "myth rewritten as graphic novel" genre, and this book is an excellent example. It's an absolutely beautiful retelling of a myth of the American Indians of New England: Ten thousand years ago (or so), the giants come to pillage and destroy the villages of the People of the Dawn. Young Hunter must go forth and defeat them, though in doing so, he must learn to use the most powerful weapon the People of the Dawn possess. But will this weapon destroy them too?

I love the art in
Ad Astra
Aug 10, 2015 Ad Astra rated it really liked it
Superb artwork! I need to read this again and take my time. I loved pouring over the work as quick as my eyes could take it in, but that's not really the way this should be read for me to get the most of it. Now that I know the story I should relish the re-telling and absorb as much as I can. I admire the work incredibly. There is a small bit of confusion for this though since many panels lack text in any case. Aside from that I really loved this exploration of myth. Who doesn't like a good gian ...more
Oct 24, 2011 Sarah rated it it was amazing
So "Dawn Land" by Joeseph Bruchac has been on my mental to read list for a long time. I enjoy Native American stories and writers, plus it won wheelbarrows full of awards. So imagine my surprise when I found there was a graphic novel adaptation of it. Now usually adaptations leave me a bit... nervous. There are a lot of bad ones out there. And having not read the original source material I cannot tell you if it's a faithful adaptation.

But as a graphic novel, it was BEAUTIFUL. It's a classic her
Jason
Jan 05, 2011 Jason rated it it was amazing
I went into this book with no expectations and was pretty thoroughly blown away by it. Based on the novel of the same name by Joseph Bruchac, this book uses Native American myths to tell the story of two cousins set 10,000 years in America's past, where one young man is blessed by fate and the other is cursed by it.

From my review: "As a plot, Dawn Land seems fairly ordinary, but its execution, particularly artistically, is nothing short of extraordinary. Davis has a measured storytelling style,
Dov
Apr 05, 2015 Dov rated it really liked it
The art in this book is beautiful and the bringing of myth to life with an edge of historical fiction feeling works really well. This along with the intensity of emotion and action and interpersonal connections makes it a compelling read. There were a few places I was confused and some of the scenes felt rushed through or clipped. This seems like one of those graphic novel readings that would really benefit from a reading of the text it was adapted from. That said, I highly recommend this one.
Crystal
I enjoyed the story and usually enjoyed the illustrations. The pictures were sometimes a distraction though. Particularly when I could see the nipples of women through what appears to be leather clothing. How is that happening? Anyway, the young women seem to be in the illustrations often as eye candy, but that may just be me. Also, it was hard to distinguish who was who sometimes in the illustrations because many of the men's faces looked alike.
Eli Poteet
Feb 05, 2014 Eli Poteet rated it really liked it
The only criticism I have is my personal opinion that the creators didn't need to use the word "pussy" derogatorily. It's unnecessary and perpetuates a culture inhospitable to women. Adolescents will read this graphic novel and the use age of this putdown will be normalized.
Nonetheless, this ancient myth used countless real representations of an ancient culture and I enjoyed the black & white brush strokes.
Emily Rogers
Audience: ages 13 and up

After giants eat his parents, Weasel Tail finds himself wounded and left alone to care for his baby cousin, Young Hunter. It is not long before the tribe finds the two orphans and takes them back to the village; but Weasel Tail and Young Hunter soon find themselves on very different paths. Barely a man, Young Hunter sets out with the company of his dogs to fight the giants.

This powerful, engrossing tale is beautifully written. It is unusual to find a Native American book
Jewel
Jun 23, 2014 Jewel rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I wish this graphic novel was printed in color, otherwise I would have liked it more. most of the characters looked the same which made following the story difficult since all panels where printed in gray scale. plus, I was originally attracted by the water color cover; water colors are my favorite.
Mazohyst
2.5 stars = 50%

Nice art, although I'm so not used to the style. Sometimes it's hard to keep differentiate some of the characters. The story wasn't entirely amazing but interesting enough for me to keep reading (even though I vow to finish each and every book I start). Also, the cover is crazy pretty.
Mrs.Kerr ESL
Oct 24, 2012 Mrs.Kerr ESL rated it it was amazing
Loved it - a billion times! The book was more adult than I thought it would be - there were bad words and pictures of naked people. Yes, I realize that you're all going to check out the book now (I turned it in today, so it's back in the library!). There are some very creative insults as well. But the story is a creation story at heart, and I loved hearing about White Buffalo Woman from a different viewpoint. I had not read very much about the Abenaki before, and I loved reading about them in a ...more
Emma
May 05, 2015 Emma rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2015
Not the best graphic novel I've read. The characters were hard to keep track of, both due to the bad POV changes and that I just didn't care about them. The art wasn't that great either. Wouldn't recommend this.
Georgia Meagher
May 31, 2014 Georgia Meagher rated it liked it
Quick adventure! It was basically the Native American version of Attack on Titan... But the art style was interesting and I read it in one sitting.
Caitlin Persin
Jan 11, 2015 Caitlin Persin rated it it was amazing
This book is a master piece and it tells such a beautiful story with little to very few words. I would highly recommend it.
Samm
Nov 07, 2015 Samm rated it liked it
I thought this story was beautiful, but due to the heavy reliance on gray scale illustrations, hard to access.
Jeremy Hornik
Complex adventure story told well. Has the feel of legend or old tale. Frequently wordless.
Joy
Sep 13, 2014 Joy rated it liked it
The art was gorgeous, but I did not find the story compelling.
Darth
Oct 03, 2011 Darth rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Interesting story. I was initially skeptical of its authenticity--was this pan-Indian, romanticized, only partly informed? The author's notes impressed me with his adherence to cultural origins and the values of his tradition. Some of the visual storytelling was a little opaque, and a more mainstream aesthetic would have emphasized certain parts of the drama; however, this carried the feeling of an elder telling a story: sometimes hard to follow, but maybe that's because you need to pay a little ...more
Brian
Oct 18, 2015 Brian rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Such a beautiful book in so many ways.
  • Age of Reptiles Omnibus, Vol. 1
  • The Last Dragon
  • Americus
  • Above the Dreamless Dead: World War I in Poetry and Comics
  • 21: The Story of Roberto Clemente
  • Mush!: Sled Dogs with Issues
  • Sumo
  • Solomon's Thieves, Book One
  • Resistance (Resistance, #1)
  • Bloody Chester
  • Set to Sea
  • A Flight of Angels
  • Beast
  • Salem Brownstone: All Along the Watchtowers
Joseph Bruchac lives with his wife, Carol, in the Adirondack mountain foothills town of Greenfield Center, New York, in the same house where his maternal grandparents raised him. Much of his writing draws on that land and his Abenaki ancestry. Although his American Indian heritage is only one part of an ethnic background that includes Slovak and English blood, those Native roots are the ones by wh ...more
More about Joseph Bruchac...