Start by marking “A Rebel's Daughter: The 1837 Rebellion Diary of Arabella Stevenson (Dear Canada)” as Want to Read:

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  344 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
After her father is jailed for taking part in the 1837 Upper Canada Rebellion in Toronto, Arabella’s upper-class mother is unable to cope. It is up to twelve-year-old Arabella to take care of herself and to pray for her father’s safe return.
201 pages
Published 2006 by Scholastic Canada

To ask other readers questions about A Rebel's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Rebel's Daughter

With Nothing But Our Courage by Karleen BradfordNo Safe Harbour by Julie LawsonOrphan at My Door by Jean LittleFootsteps in the Snow by Carol MatasIf I Die Before I Wake by Jean Little
Dear Canada Series
23rd out of 36 books — 46 voters
Anastasia by Carolyn MeyerVoyage on the Great Titanic by Ellen Emerson WhiteMarie Antoinette by Kathryn LaskyCleopatra VII by Kristiana GregoryAcross The Wide And Lonesome Prairie by Kristiana Gregory
Historical Fiction from Scholastics
20th out of 103 books — 25 voters

More lists with this book...

kayla
Apr 02, 2016 kayla rated it it was ok
giant buzzkill
Rita Bailey
Dec 28, 2014 Rita Bailey rated it it was amazing
Arabella Stevenson attends a private school and has servants, but her upper-class lifestyle is turned on its head when her barrister father is jailed for his part in the Rebellion of 1837. Her brother has disappeared, her mother sits and sulks, and Arabella is forced to support herself by working as a scullery maid in the home of a former classmate. Worse yet, she is forced to endure the agony of not knowing whether she will ever see her beloved father again.

Told in the form of a diary, this Can
Georgia
Feb 20, 2015 Georgia rated it it was amazing
Young Arabella Stevenson has lived a comfortable upper class life in the growing city of Toronto, Upper Canada. But lately her barrister (lawyer) father has been talking with "suspicious" characters who want to reform the colony's heavily English-immigrant influenced government. Finally, there unrest explodes in open rebellion and Arabella and her mother are left penniless after their father is jailed and after their son/brother runs away. Mrs. Stevenson does not believe that they have no money ...more
Emma
Aug 09, 2009 Emma rated it it was amazing
i loved this book, it taught me sooooooo much about the rebellion. I would recommend this book to anyone.
Meaghan Steeves
Dec 13, 2015 Meaghan Steeves rated it really liked it
This is difficult to rate. On the one hand it took me 40 pages to get into it (and for such a small book that's a lot), but once I did I became enthralled with her story and grew to really admire the main character, Arabella. Then I got to the epilogue and it kind of ruined everything; it felt like the author was just trying to fill space with useless information and shouldn't have been the one to write this story in the first place. It felt rushed and sloppy at times.
Twyla
Mar 06, 2016 Twyla rated it it was amazing
In this book, arabella's father gets put in the gaol and can't earn money, so her family goes poor. They move to a small apartment, and Arabella's brother Charlie runs away. Then arabella's mother sends Arabella away and she has to work as a scullery maid. I learned that bad things can turn good. Auryn 12 yeasr old, 2016
Sheila
Aug 03, 2013 Sheila rated it liked it
The second Juvenile book I have read in the Dear Canada series. I chose this book because I wanted to learn more about the 1837 Rebellion in Eastern Canada. Arabella Stevenson is a 12 year old girl, the daughter of a Barrister. At the beginning of the book, the rebellion has just started. Arabella's father has been arrested and sent to jail for his part in the confrontation. Her 15 year old brother is missing. Arabella's mother cannot cope and remains in her bedroom. Through diary entries, we le ...more
Madison
May 08, 2014 Madison rated it really liked it
Great book
Emily Messer
Mar 18, 2013 Emily Messer rated it really liked it
My first Dear Canada ever and it got me hooked. It was well written and believable. It didn't feel like I was learning but I was. It was really sad and I wanted to just hug Arabella and comfort her. It was interesting and fun to read with a few twists.
Meghan
Sep 14, 2013 Meghan rated it really liked it
Shelves: dear-canada
Wished the story talked more about the actual rebellion so I would have known what it was about before the historical note. The story was very good and I could sympathize for Arabella with all the changes in her situation.
Jenna Leigh
Jun 07, 2013 Jenna Leigh rated it liked it
Great contribution to the series! I thought that Arabella was a strong protagonist, and I'll be reading it again soon... once I haul all of my childhood books out of storage!
Nicole
Jan 19, 2012 Nicole rated it liked it
Not the best of the series, but not the worst either. It really, really excelled at explaining the life of a scullary maid, though the actual rebellion not so much.
Renae
Apr 22, 2012 Renae rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this one. Arabella is a great heroine--a little bit Jane Eyre, a little bit Burnett's Little Princess--who is genuinely likable.

Jessie
Nov 07, 2012 Jessie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: canada
Another great historical book for younger readers!
Jo
May 22, 2015 Jo rated it really liked it
Canadian historical fiction for ages 8 +
Katrina
May 06, 2008 Katrina marked it as to-read
Another book I have to read!
Jessie
May 12, 2012 Jessie rated it it was ok
Didn't really enjoy this one
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Lysa
Lysa rated it it was amazing
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Cheree Martin
Cheree Martin rated it liked it
Elli
Elli marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Naomi
Naomi marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Cora Jackson
Cora Jackson rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2016
Tasia
Tasia rated it liked it
Steph
Steph marked it as to-read
Chloe
Chloe rated it it was amazing
Emily Mulcahy
Emily Mulcahy marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Yesenia
Yesenia marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
  • A Trail of Broken Dreams: The Gold Rush Diary of Harriet Palmer (Dear Canada)
  • The Death of My Country: The Plains of Abraham Diary of Geneviève Aubuchon (Dear Canada)
  • Banished from Our Home: The Acadian Diary of Angélique Richard (Dear Canada)
  • Winter of Peril: The Newfoundland Diary of Sophie Loveridge (Dear Canada)
  • Turned Away: The World War II Diary of Devorah Bernstein (Dear Canada)
  • No Safe Harbour: The Halifax Explosion Diary of Charlotte Blackburn (Dear Canada))
  • If I Die Before I Wake: The Flu Epidemic Diary of Fiona Macgregor (Dear Canada)
  • Days of Toil and Tears: The Child Labour Diary of Flora Rutherford (Dear Canada)
  • Prisoners in the Promised Land: The Ukrainian Internment Diary of Anya Soloniuk
  • Not a Nickel to Spare: The Great Depression Diary of Sally Cohen (Dear Canada)
  • With Nothing But Our Courage: The Loyalist Diary of Mary MacDonald (Dear Canada)
  • Whispers of War: The War of 1812 Diary of Susanna Merritt (Dear Canada)
  • An Ocean Apart: The Gold Mountain Diary of Chin Mei-Ling (Dear Canada)
Janet was born Janet Louise Swoboda on December 28, 1928 in Dallas, Texas, U.S.A, moved to Vermont when she was two and lived there until she was ten when the family moved to the outskirts of New York City. She came to Canada in 1946 to go to Notre Dame College in Ottawa and then to Queen's University in Kingston, Ontario. There she met and married Richard Lunn, a fellow student. She has lived in ...more
More about Janet Lunn...

Dear Canada (1 - 10 of 35 books)
  • Orphan at My Door: The Home Child Diary of Victoria Cope (Dear Canada)
  • A Prairie as Wide as the Sea: The Immigrant Diary of Ivy Weatherall (Dear Canada)
  • Footsteps in the Snow: The Red River Diary of Isobel Scott (Dear Canada)
  • A Ribbon of Shining Steel: The Railway Diary of Kate Cameron (Dear Canada)
  • Whispers of War: The War of 1812 Diary of Susanna Merritt (Dear Canada)
  • Alone in an Untamed Land: The Filles Du Roi Diary of Helene St. Onge (Dear Canada)
  • Brothers Far from Home: The World War I Diary of Eliza Bates (Dear Canada)
  • An Ocean Apart: The Gold Mountain Diary of Chin Mei-Ling (Dear Canada)
  • A Trail of Broken Dreams: The Gold Rush Diary of Harriet Palmer (Dear Canada)