Start by marking “And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street” as Want to Read:
Preview

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  14,760 ratings  ·  376 reviews
Dr. Seuss’s very first book for children! From a mere horse and wagon, young Marco concocts a colorful cast of characters, making Mulberry Street the most interesting location in town. Dr. Seuss’s signature rhythmic text, combined with his unmistakable illustrations, will appeal to fans of all ages, who will cheer when our hero proves that a little imagination can go a ver ...more
Published August 19th 1989 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published December 21st 1937)

Lee Thompson
We got this from the library for 3 year old Rae. She loved it. She asked if all children have their imaginations strangled by adults like the kid in this book.
Shanna Gonzalez
This is the first of Dr. Seuss's books for children, and it is a good introduction to the imaginative creativity which opened his career as an enormously popular children's writer. In this story a young boy walking home from school, and on seeing a simple horse and cart, embellishes it in his mind by first changing the animal, then the conveyance, then adds passengers, and so on, until the horse and cart are transformed into a veritable parade. This is a quite enjoyable flight of imagination.

Unf
Kathryn
Dr. Seuss's first published children's book was certainly groundbreaking for its time. It was, indeed, rejected 27 times before Seuss had a chance encounter with an friend-turned-editor whom he bumped into while walking in New York City one day (see, awesome things do happen on average streets every day!) The editor took a chance on the young author/illustrator and the rest, as they say, is history.

I don't remember reading it as a kid, whether because I was not exposed to it or it simply wasn't
ivana18
A very short and very sweet children's book. A beautiful tale about one boy's (vivid) imagination. This is my first Dr. Seuss and I'll read more of his creations, I have much respect for children's authors, while it might seem easy to write children's books, I'm sure it's more difficult than it looks. This is simply lovely....I had a smile plastered on my face all the way trough.
John Yelverton
What a fantastic story about a child allowed to run free with his imagination. The very first Dr. Seuss book definitely tells you of the things to come.
مصطفي سليمان

رائع

description

description
Soplada
This children story handles one of the most children psychological issue it is : confidence and how parents can switch it on or off.
how come that it is for both children and adults ?

PDF link for the Goodreaders :
McLean
Reading this, it's pretty obvious that it's from before Seuss had really polished his style. The usually flawless rhythm is occasionally spotty, and there's not the same level of giddy inventiveness present in so many of his other books. At the same time, this book was written before Seuss had moved into using purely anapestic tetrameter, which makes for some interesting variety of sound. While in some of his later works he would begin to break from the anapestic tetrameter model in very methodi ...more
Navaneeta
This story explains everything about how we transcend the ordinary in our day-to-day living, letting our imagination take us to a world of wish fulfillment. How we transform the dreariness of a Mulberry street of life where "nothing ever happens" into an exciting world full of indian rajahs and chinese chopsticks, a confetti throwing airplane and a trailer pulled by an elephant!

And the most cruel part of the story is also what makes it so real... Marco's telling his father with a red face that i
Gerry
On a walk home from school Marco sees a horse and cart in Mulberry Street. Wanting to tell his Dad something exciting, he imagines what it could turn out to be.

His imagination runs riot and from a simple horse and cart, it metarmorphoses into a cart pulled by a zebra, then a chariot pulled by a zebra before we have a reindeer pulling a sledge, an elephant pulling a brass band and other incarnations before Sergeant Mulvaney escorts the whole shebang down Mulberry Street.

Obviously it all happens o
Mike
Dec 29, 2012 Mike rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mike by: Shannon
Shelves: shannon, favorites
Chinamen who eat with sticks just can't be beat as they're marching and singing down Mulberry Street.
Stephanie Tara
Dr. Suess got off to a great big bang—with this, his first children's book. And we have a great big bang of a book too, complete with the full extent of his amazingly out-there-in-the-farthest-reaches-of-the-universe imagination.

How did he come up with that unbelievably addictive rhyme? Legend says: the train he took home from a trip that year - the chug/chug/chug of the rails...sort of stuck' in his mind, his SEUSSIAN mind that is...and was forevermore to be known as, well, Suessian rhyme.

Th
Montserrat
I remembered books such as When the Grinch Stole Christmas and Green Eggs and Ham from my childhood, but the first time I happened upon this was in my local library last week.

Theodor Seuss Geisel's first children's book is a charming 'tall tale' about the power of imagination. It tells the story of Marco, a boy heading home from school who has promised to tell his father what he sees on the way back. He spots a horse and cart going down the street, and, upon deciding it's too uninteresting a sto
Rossy
Such an imagination! Maybe I'd have liked it better if I had myself a little bit more of it, lol!
Jeff Fortney
This is one of my favorite books of all time. I was excited to see it on the list of Escaping Reality books that I had to grab it just to enjoy reading it again.
Marco walks to and from school everyday...on Mulberry Street. His father implores him to keep his eyes open for anything he might see, but warns him about any outlandishness. Don't be turning any minnows into whales, Marco.
Marco strolls on his way home and decides to get himself a story. Now the horse and cart he actually sees are nothin
Christina Greenberg
And to Think I Saw if on Mulberry Street is about a boys wild imagination as he walks home from school. Each day his father reminds him to keep his eyes alert and to see the world around him. As he walks home he is engrossed at making sure that he tells his father the most elaborate story possible. A plain street wagon turns into a grand musical cart complete with elephants, giraffes, airplanes throwing confetti and the mayor of the town. In true Dr. Seuss form the book is fully of rhyming and c ...more
Samantha Holler
This is Dr. Seuss’ first book. In this picture book, Marco describes a parade of imaginary people and vehicles traveling down a road called Mulberry Street. This is just an elaborate story Marco makes up to tell his father after a walk and is based off just a horse and a wagon that he saw. After the walk, when his father asks what he saw he doesn’t tell him the crazy things he saw. He simply tells him a wagon and a horse. This book is great for children, because it teaches them that having imagi ...more
Farina♥Moon♥Eclipse
And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street is the first book from Theodor Geisel, Dr Seuss , which was 77 years ago!

Dr Seuss definitely knew how to rhyme and make a story sound more like fun than it really is and his imagination for Children's Literature is incredible!

(The Power of imagination by little Marco is amazing! But I think the relationship between him and his father is rather doubtful. I mean come on, imagination is more important in a child.)
Jordan Brown
Author and Illustrator: Doctor Seuss
Reading level: Ages 5-8

Seuss, Dr. (1937) And to Think I saw It on Mulberry Street. New York: Random House

And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street is a children's picture book that follows the overactive imagination of a child, as he attempts to make his surrounding more interesting and outlandish.

First off, like every Dr. Seuss book, this not-as-wildly appreciated gem has an abundance of charm and style. It's a
Evan
An oldie but goody in the Seuss oeuvre. By the time the guys on the wings of the airplane are dumping confetti on the impossibly elephantine chariot array while the Chinese man with rice bowl and chopsticks, the magician with the rabbit and hat, and the old man with the 10-foot beard are running along beside it, I find myself laughing out loud.

That it ends with the original dull sight of the plain horse and wagon is a poignant testament to the power of imagination. So marvelous.
Snorkle
Marco sees the Most Interesting things on his way to school.

I thought this was a cute book, it had a simple beginning, leaving you wondering where Dr. Seuss was going, but once you figured it out you only had to turn the page to see what he would cook up next, something that would be sure to make you smile. A crazy little book that is fun to read.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2008...
Carlos Gastelum
Seuss, D.(1937)And to think that i saw it on mulberry street. New York, NY: Vangaurd Press.

And to Think That I Saw It on MULBERRY STREET, is a picture book about a young boy named Marco who is blamed of having a crazy imagination. In the beginning of the story his dad tells him, “Your Eyesight’s much too keen, Stop telling such outlandish tales, Stop turning minnows into whales” (Seuss, 1937, p. 2). While walking to school and along Mulberry Street Marco spots a cart being pulled by an old horse
Zany
5 stars automatically for books from childhood, folks. No exceptions.

Every time I do read a great Seuss book, I ask
How did this guy ever accomplish his task?
And I sit, and I brood, and I worry all night.
Anapestic tetrameter's so hard to write.
Did he write his great poems with grace and with ease?
Or did he compose them while down on his knees?
With a pen or a pencil or crayon or chalk?
Or did he transcribe them from Dictaphone talk?
Did he write his book "Green Eggs and Ham" with panache?
Did he writ
Maureen Jehling
And to Think That I Saw it on Mulberry Street, by Dr. Seuss, is about a young boy whose imagination gets the best of him. He is walking on his way to school when he sees a variety of crazily exotic things. But when the road of excitement ends, he must go home and report to his stern father. Oh no! But what will his father think of him for taking so long and enduring in all of the silly things he says that he saw. Grab the book for yourself and read it with your child to find out together.

This bo
Caty Carino
In Dr. Seuss’ first book, Marco describes a parade of imaginary people and vehicles traveling down a road called Mulberry Street. This elaborate story Marco makes up to tell his father is based off just a horse and a wagon. This book is great for children, because it teaches them that having imagination is important. However, it teaches them not to confuse it with real life. I like this book because it is Dr. Seuss first book and he based it of his childhood. I think this would be fun to incorpo ...more
Madeline Isaak
And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street: In Dr. Seuss’ first book, Marco describes a parade of imaginary people and vehicles traveling down a road called Mulberry Street. This elaborate story Marco makes up to tell his father is based off just a horse and a wagon. This book is great for children, because it teaches them that having imagination is important. However, it teaches them not to confuse it with real life. I love this book and think that it’s good to get students imagination going ...more
ZaBeth  Marsh
Even though I can't remember reading this book when it would have been "age appropriate" for me, I know I must have. Having read it now I believe that this book probably is directly responsible for hundreds - if not thousands - of children growing up with the dream of being a writer. Clearly I'm one of them.

I think many of us grownups who dream of writing need to keep this book handy. Before starting each new project I plan to read this as a palette cleanser to make me forget my everyday worries
Dolly
Aug 02, 2008 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading to their children
Shelves: childrens, 2007, rhyming
Imaginative story that also speaks about telling the truth. It has the classic rhythmic, rhyming narrative and fantastical, cartoonish illustrations that we've come to expect from books by Dr. Seuss. I know that I've read this at least a couple of times.
Kirei
Feb 22, 2008 Kirei rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids
Shelves: younger-kids
My son liked this better now at age five than when he was a toddler. I remember being entranced by it.

But there are a couple of politically incorrect parts:
"Say--anyone could think of that, Jack or Fred or Joe or Nat--Say, even Jane could think of that."

"A Chinese man who eats with sticks..."
Jacob
In the first book ever written by the genius of children's books Dr. Seuss, we are introduced to a little boy with a grand imagination. While walking home from school, and wanting to "impress" his dad with sightseeing on the way home, he describes to the readers of what he's imagining while walking down Mulberry Street; things that include a big band, reindeer, zebras, and many others.

And to Think That I Saw it on Mulberry Street was the first book ever written by Seuss. It's not his greatest w
Seuss Lovers: And to Think I saw it on Mulberry Street 1 0 Dec 06, 2012 06:30PM
MCC Children's Li...: Picture Book 2 1 Apr 17, 2012 09:45AM
  • It's Not Easy Being Big! (Bright & Early Books)
  • The Berenstain Bears on the Moon (Bright & Early Books)
  • Draw Me a Star
  • Alexander, Who's Not (Do You Hear Me? I Mean It!) Going to Move
  • Elephants Cannot Dance!
  • Philadelphia Chickens
  • Froggy's First Kiss
  • Madeline in London
  • The Hair Book (Bright & Early Book)
  • Can You Tell Me How to Get to Sesame Street?
  • Chester the Worldly Pig
More about Dr. Seuss...
Green Eggs and Ham The Cat in the Hat Oh, The Places You'll Go! How the Grinch Stole Christmas! The Lorax