Start by marking “Amor En Retrogrado (Bill Turner, #1)” as Want to Read:
Amor En Retrogrado (Bill Turner, #1)

Amor En Retrogrado (Bill Turner #1)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  619 ratings  ·  96 reviews
In the year since JD Ryan, Robert Lemos's life partner, packed his bags and moved out, Robert has been in a painful daze, anesthetizing himself with work. Then one rainy night, he gets a call that his ex has been beaten and shot in a parking lot outside a gay dance club. JD is in critical condition and the man who was with him is dead.

Robert rushes to JD's bedside to find
Published January 22nd 2008 by Loose Id LLC

To ask other readers questions about Amor En Retrogrado, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amor En Retrogrado

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter
2.5 stars. Review posted April 10, 2014

photo oie_OkJPIx1bYdep_zpsf28524ed.gif

When I started to read Amor En Retrogrado I was very excited. However, my excitement retrograded steadily and by the end of the book I felt totally drained and incredibly annoyed which led me to my decision to not read the next installment immediately. Although I'm tempted to give it a try eventually. It's a great pity because Amor En Retrogrado could have been a fabulous read. Fact is, I enjoyed the riveting plot and writing, but Robert and JD's characteri
Daisiemae
I won't get into describing the book much. I decided to read the book based on Shawn's recommendation and review and I am glad I did. The book spans over 15 years and gives details of the rollercoaster ride that is J.D and Robert's relationship. What struck me as original and fresh about this book was the flaws characters and how they actively had to make their relationship work. They argued, drank too much, had fantastic make-up sex, had jealousy issues and enabled bad habits. This book is defi ...more
Jenre
I put off reading this ambitious book by AM Riley because I wasn’t sure I would like the amnesia plot, especially as I was worried that the main hero, Robert, was going to lie and keep secrets from JD, thus taking advantage of his amnesia. I shouldn’t have worried because that wasn’t the case at all. Instead this is an honest and sometime brutal look at a long term relationship in free fall and how an act of violence can lead to a reckoning and recovery.

The book begins with a crime. Two men are
Ami
I have to take a moment before writing this short opinion because truth be told, "Amor En Retrogrado" makes me emotionally drained. The summary of this book doesn't do any justice.

Here I am, thinking that it will be another good murder mystery (since my first experience with A.M. Riley's book was with "The Elegant Corpse"), only to find out, even after the first two chapters, that this is more than just that. In fact, I cannot even count this as a mystery. Though it is opened with a dead body a
Kaje Harper
Wow. JD and Roberto, the MCs in this book, have to have one of the most dysfunctional relationships in M/M, and yet... and yet, under the crazy and the lies and the anger, there's an intense passion that has kept them together for fifteen years, and apart for one. Until an injury to JD, with a temporary loss of memory, gives them one more chance.

I really appreciated that this book didn't rehabilitate either of the MCs in the end. Roberto was a hot-headed, possessive, suspicious, and yet totally
DaisyGirl
1.5 Stars

Wow. Okay, first the positive: I read this book in one sitting. It was riveting and written in such a way that I kept turning the pages. I'm a sucker for a good whodunnit. And, the mystery had me stumped for about 60% of the book. A book that captures me and won't let go - good or bad - deserves some accolades. So, kudos there.

Now, on with the bad ... (view spoiler)
Deeze
This is like 3 stories in one.

First there is JD and Robert’s story. To say they have a complicated relationship is the understatement of the year. I found myself torn over which one was the good guy. They both have deep seated issues that cause no end of confusion, not to mention they think talking to each other is the ultimate in Emasculation. But underneath there is a deep love that is sometimes clouded by their behaviour.

Second comes the mystery part. Who killed Pablo? Who wanted JD dead? I
Elisa Rolle
I'm enchanted. Amor en Retrogrado is one book I hardly will forget. It's heartbreaking and real. It's a brilliant piece of fiction. It's not a M/M romance, cause it's a lot more. Have you understood that I love this book?

JD and Robert are a fifteen years old committed couple. But they have split one year before for a lot of reasons. But when Robert receives a call in the middle of the night telling him that JD is in hospital, in intensive care, and the man who was with him is dead, Robert doesn'
Mercedes
Reread 1/24

This book deserves 5 stars for the great story and how it is told. This is murder mystery story will grab you from the start. Come in for the mystery and stay for the tumultuous love story of Jay and Robert. God, what a roller coaster ride!!

Jay and Robert have been together 15 years but what a relationship. However after all this time they have finally called it quits or have they? They are granted a second chance when Jay loses his memory temporarily and he and Robert can look at the
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
This is one of the most compelling books I've read. It's not perfect, but it's gripping and intense.

The mistery in the book is not only the investigation about who committed the crime against JD and his young friend, it's about going back in time to discover how a love story turned bad and it's also about Bill Turner, the cop investigating the crime.

The story is told through the eyes of Robert, JD's lover, and Bill. Both are not unbiased witnesses.

Robert is truly in love with JD, but he's also
Meep
Far better than the usual amnesia fic, in this J.D.'s amnesia is the device for looking back on a fifteen year relationship and how it jumped the rails, not one of those whole new life things. In fact the unravelling of the relationship knots was often more interesting than the actual who-dun-it aspect, when the bad guy was revealed the feel is more skip on to see the reactions, than dwelling on the reveal.

In this book the 'big misunderstanding' is very believable, these are two volatile charact
Shell
Jun 16, 2011 Shell rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Shell by: Ivan
Shelves: favorites
karlakolumna
Not quite what I was expecting, but enjoyable all the same. The mystery/suspense part was really well done and I liked the diversity of the different characters. Despite there being multiple MCs, which kind of automatically leads to less "stage time" for each character (so to speak), they all felt real and palpable. Both, the characterisation and the plot, didn't lack depth or 3-dimensionality.

Allthough I'm not quite sure what to think of JD and Robert's relationship... which can only be describ
Chris
4.5 stars. Excellent m/m romantic suspense about an author who loses much of his memory in an attack. This was a powerful read – I even cried a few times. Highly recommended.
Brenda (b)
I enjoyed this book and found it very interesting. In the beginning, as I read this story, I kept asking myself where was all this heading? Who was going to be together at the end? There was a lot happening here. There was the investigation into the shooting of Pablo and JD and why it happened. Robert and JD were an established couple who had split up. JD was suffering from retrograde amnesia and didn't remember the shooting or their history and break-up. Robert was apprehensively waiting for me ...more
Fangtasia
A beautiful love story of two very disparate men who illustrate the phrase 'opposites attract'. Beautifully detailed main characters, JD and Robert struggle for a long time to come to terms with their demons and the resolution at the end of the story is by no means easy. Though their descriptions and origins could have easily made them become a cliché, the author skillfully manages to get beyond that to give the reader very real people to root for and feel engaged with. An excellent example of ' ...more
Edina Rose
Incredibly realistic. Deeply Flawed characters. Great mystery plot. I couldn't put it down.

This book shows us that we can love each other deeply and still hurt each other deeply. We can bring the best and the worst at the same time in each other.

This is the story of two men who are married, they have been together for 15 years. Then they broke up. One year later, one is injured and looses his memory of the last ten years, while the man he was with that moment is killed. It may be a second chan
Taintedskyee (Books Books&More Books)
An interesting read but only if you give yourself time to understand the flawed relationship of the two protagonists.It's easy to hate both of them and the obnoxious relationship they had and DNF the book but the plot is intriguing enough to hold you till the end.

First half of the story, I loathed JD and his childish spoiled attitude.Robert's indulgence towards JD seemed foolish.Somehow after finishing the book I realized why the relationship was flawed so much.They reminded me of couple who hav
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
I would have given it 5 stars but it was a little too depressing for me.
Momshell
Perfect imperfection is what best describes the characters in this well put story. Fifteen years in a relationship of love, passion,dependence, lies and deception.

Roberto is a classical "macho latino"; he is controlling and he is possessive, but he's also driven, passionate and sure of himself. I liked his activism which is a great contrast to the chaos of his personal life.
JD, in my point of view, enjoys his sexuality but at the same time has a hard time accepting who he is, the revelations
Lala
5 PASSIONATE STARS.

Codependency, jealousy, rage, cheating, drowning problems in liquor and work...love, lust, need... Talk about a truly fucked-up and poisonous relationship... God, I loved this mess!
 photo 5592893_zps544b17ca.gif
WhatAStrangeDuck
Not as funny as the "Adam & Peter" series but a seriously good book as well. Again, the characterization and the depiction of the characters' relationships were better than the plot but then again these are so good that my minor quibbles about the plot really don't matter. Recommended!
Maggie Simms

So I’m officially adding A.M. Riley to my favorite authors. I LOVED this book. I also loved Adam & Peter series but back to this book. This book checked so many of the right boxes for me:

-Hot Latin Lover check

-Messy (love you/hate you/can’t live with or without you) romance between two MC that should have ‘Love the Way you Lie’ by Rihanna as their theme song check, check, check

-A book that shows the progression/regression of a relationship over a long period of time (15 years) check

-MC
Richard
I am convinced Ms. Riley had gal main characters in mind when she wrote this but switched them to male to maximize book sales.

"at the level of press, radio and film"
I wonder how many Ms Riley dissuaded after reading.
Spark
I don't write reviews as a rule, mostly because of my emotional reaction to books, and the subsequent disappointment with myself at my inability to coherently explain why I felt certain way. However. If a book was to tease me out of comment lurkdom, of course it would be one like Amor en Retrogrado. It pulled all of my heartstrings in a fist and twisted, until all I could do was hang on and breathe.

I liked the mystery part well enough, although I must admit sometimes it felt like a carefully po
Trix
It's a bit hard to write a review on the story since I finished it just minutes ago.

It was a strong story. As another reviewer remarked, I'm not a big fan of flashbacks but the author made it work here. It's through these flashbacks that I was bit by bit introduced into Robert and JD's lives, the mistakes they have made, the mistakes that revealed their flaws.

I feel emotionally drained after having finished the story. Throughout almost the entire book, I felt sympathetic towards Robert, understo
Nichole (Dirty H)
Hard time rating this.

This was a very engaging read, and yet it bugged me in a lot of ways. There is a murder mystery plot with a very confusing and, at least to me, seemingly illogical investigation. I did not "get" the two investigators at all, I just couldn't connect with them or understand where they were coming from. I wanted to get to the resolution of the mystery, but for the most part I was biding my time through the investigation scenes waiting to get back to what to me was the main sto
Morgana
This book was so not what I expected. I'm such a sucker for good mystery novels but seriously, I like it when books stay focused on two MC. Don't get me wrong, I love investigations and all those things but I think I'd rather read about them when at least one of the main characters is a cop/detective/PI/FBI agent, you get my drift? And here I didn't find it. This detective, Bill Turner is an ass. (view spoiler) ...more
Barb ~rede-2-read~
Based on the blurb, I thought I'd really love this one, but it fell short for me because I couldn't get engaged with either of the MC's. I couldn't feel empathy or compassion for either one, even for JD who was seriously hurt and suffering from amnesia. His partner Robert was steadfastly there for him, and much of the story is told in flashbacks as Robert recalls various moments in their 15 year history.

I struggled to get through the story, which lagged toward the end and was full of detail, co
LdDurham
Feb 19, 2010 LdDurham rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to LdDurham by: Carvedwood
Wow. This book blew me away. Absolutely blew me away. I have no idea how I could have missed reading A.M. Riley, and am very glad I was finally pointed in the right direction.

This was an excellent emotional spiral, an excellent, suspenseful mystery, and an excellent ride from start to finish. The book opens on a murder scene and then a private scene, and, honestly, was really quite confusing. Riley told the story backwards while still moving forward. The characters were incredibly real and hear
  • The Slayer's Apprentice
  • Come Unto These Yellow Sands
  • Deadly Nightshade (Deadly Mystery, #1)
  • Cheating Chance (Taking the Odds, #1)
  • Like Pizza and Beer (Dino Martini Mysteries, #2)
  • Trust Me If You Dare (Romano and Albright, #2)
  • The Definitive Albert J. Sterne
  • L.A. Heat (L.A., #1)
  • Foxe Tail (Skyler Foxe Mystery, #1)
A.M. Riley is a film editor and amateur poet living in Los Angeles, California. She writes murder mystery, romance and urban paranormal with GLBT characters. In addition to writing, Riley enjoys politics, police blogs and ice hockey.
More about A.M. Riley...

Bill Turner (2 books)
  • Death by Misfortune (Bill Turner, #2)
The Elegant Corpse Goldilocks and His Three Bears (Goldilocks #1) Immortality is the Suck (Adam & Peter, #1) No Rest for the Wicked (Adam & Peter, #2) A Man, a Jersey, and a Tight End (Goldilocks #2)