Start by marking “Stories of Ourselves: The University of Cambridge International Examinations Anthology of Stories in English” as Want to Read:

The University of Cambridge Anthologies of Poetry and Stories. Stories of Ourselves is a set text for the Cambridge Literature in English courses at IGCSE, O Level, AS and A Level. The anthology contains stories by writers from many different countries and cultures.
Published January 16th 2008 by Cambridge University Press (first published January 12th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Stories of Ourselves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stories of Ourselves

Roderick
Mar 04, 2014 Roderick rated it it was ok
Shelves: school-reads
Senior year AICE/AP English Lit. That is the name of the course that landed this book in front of me.

They sent this book to my English teacher with a letter basically saying that we [the students] needed to know all these stories and be able to answer questions or write essays about them by out national testing date. That was it. No lesson plan. Nothing. Pardon my whining, but 'senioritis' is at an all-time high and I just could not be more anxious for graduation.

Anyway, these stories cover a
Eleonara
The ratings for this are considerably lower than that of it's counterpart, Songs of Ourselves, but I feel just the opposite about them. Overall, it was a pretty sad set of stories, there's no doubt about that, and a few of them I did not enjoy, such as "The Contest" and "Real Time"; however, while the poem anthology was repetitive and dull, these stories had some diversity and covered interesting topics. My favorites included "Sredni Vashtar" (the one I had to do a report on)- a story about a ...more
Lissy Clement
Jun 26, 2014 Lissy Clement rated it it was ok
It's required reading for the A-Levels. I am teaching it to my students. I must say some of the stories are incredibly depressing. Writing an essay on these stories is demanding because you have to remember mini plots for some 10 + stories. I'd rather red a novel. Luckily in 2016 the choice is to substitute them with House of Mirth by Edith Wharton which I will definitely do. Not the most uplifting story, but very interesting and well-written.
Brunylol:)
Jan 05, 2015 Brunylol:) rated it really liked it
For my Cambridge Exam, I am required to read 12 short stories from this book and out of those 12 stories, three of them have become my all-time favorites. Sredni Vashtar and Report on a Threatened City were eloquently written and deserve much appraisal. I recommend this to anyone who enjoys reading for leisure as a hobby and can appreciate writers who capture the archetype of the human mind in such a sophisticated and exceptional manner.
Nainika Morusupalli
Nainika Morusupalli rated it it was ok
May 06, 2016
Mahek Bhagchandani
Mahek Bhagchandani rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2014
Myra
Myra rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2014
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2012
Veer Malwa
Veer Malwa rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2016
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
May 31, 2013
Gladys
Gladys rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2013
Flor
Flor rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2012
Yuthika
Yuthika rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2013
Michael Kneeland
Michael Kneeland rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2014
Lucas Cockshott
Lucas Cockshott rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2014
Abhi
Abhi rated it really liked it
May 12, 2016
Lindsey426
Lindsey426 rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2012
Shameem
Shameem rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2014
Maria Laura Veltri
Maria Laura Veltri rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2016
Aamrah
Aamrah rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2012
Farrah Ghori
Farrah Ghori rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2013
Stefanie Callista
Stefanie Callista rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2016
Shallu Jaglan
Shallu Jaglan rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2013
Hibah
Hibah rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2013
Baqar Zaidi
Baqar Zaidi rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2016
Huzaifa Usman
Huzaifa Usman rated it it was ok
Aug 22, 2014
Mahnoor
Mahnoor rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2013
Awais Khan
Awais Khan rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2014
Elaine
Elaine rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2016
Lanceljn
Lanceljn rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Ponies
  • Molly Moon, Micky Minus, & the Mind Machine (Molly Moon, #4)
  • Here Comes Garfield
  • The Children's Story
  • Out of Sight, Out of Mind (Gifted, #1)
  • Mastering English Literature
  • Cambridge IGCSE Biology Coursebook with CD-ROM (Cambridge International Examinations)
  • English Idioms in Use Intermediate
  • Cambridge IELTS 2
  • Cambridge IGCSE Physics Coursebook with CD-ROM (Cambridge International Examinations)
  • The PreHistory of The Far Side: A 10th Anniversary Exhibit
  • Selected Poetry
  • The Big Trip Up Yonder
The University of Cambridge (informally Cambridge University or Cambridge) is a public research university located in Cambridge, United Kingdom. It is the second-oldest university in the English-speaking world (after the University of Oxford), and the seventh-oldest globally. In post-nominals the university's name is abbreviated as Cantab, a shortened form of Cantabrigiensis (an adjective derived ...more
More about University of Cambridge...