Start by marking “Little Wizard Stories Of Oz” as Want to Read:
Little Wizard Stories Of Oz

Little Wizard Stories Of Oz (Oz #7.5)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  373 ratings  ·  31 reviews

Two great beasts, a lion and a tiger, shared guard duties at the throne of beloved Queen Ozma.

"You have enough to eat, I'm sure!" said the Cowardly Lion.

"Enough, perhaps -- but not the kind of food I long for," answered the Hungry Tiger. "What I'm hungry for is fat babies. I have a great desire to eat a few fat babies. Then, perhaps, the people of Oz would fear me and I'd

Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1913)

To ask other readers questions about Little Wizard Stories Of Oz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Wizard Stories Of Oz

Muzzlehatch
Sep 22, 2009 Muzzlehatch rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids and kids at heart
Shelves: juvenile, fantasy
A charming little volume containing several very short Oz stories involving many of the major characters that had featured in the first 7 or so books in the series proper. Clearly aimed at an even younger audience than the regular books, most adults will probably find these a little too silly -- though some of the wordplay that both Baum and his successors are known for is in evidence (the Imps -- Udent, Olite and Ertinent, for example). John R. Neill's illustrations are among his best and are t...more
rastronomicals
Filthy and obscene.

Ha, you knew I was just kidding.

No, actually, Baum was always adamant in saying that he wrote for all ages. But Little Wizard (and maybe Magical Monarch) are oddballs in the canon in that they were specially written for children. These are as a result I think fairly unvivid snippets, with no puns, no real conflict, no new places, no new characters. The best of these six short tales was probably the one about Dorothy and the evil giant she thought she found, but its Very Speci...more
Kim
I am a Wizard of Oz fan and always love return visits to Oz. This is a collection of small stories with all the familiar characters.
Sherri
This will definitely be on the bookshelf of books to read to my children.
D M
3 years after the intended end to the Oz books (Baum wanted to write other fantastical tales-FAIL!), he releases a series of short stories that were used to appeal to a "younger?" audience and reignite interest in the series. these stories were released prior to 'the patchwork girl of oz' (1913), and collected into volume in 1914.

could you read them before or after 'the patchwork girl?' (yes) or at the end of the entire Baum-end of the series, as i've seen some reviewers comment about? (sure) i...more
Meg McGregor
Well, as with most books comprised of short stories, there were a couple that I liked and a couple that I didn't.

This book is obviously intended for the younger Oz reader. And I think that is fine.

But it is too watered down. I am really surprised that Baum would "dumb down" any type of story for his readers.

The story I really liked was The Cowardly Lion and the Hungry Tiger. I always suspected both these two of just being old softies and I was right all along.
Jim
beautiful edition published by dover. full color, okay intro by martin gardner that would have worked better as an afterward, type is light blue, many of the illos come at the wrong point of the story. really good intro to characters popular in the later books.
Kat
A cute, fun set of short stories featuring some favorite Oz characters. Definitely work a read for any fan of the other books.
Dianna
These stories are nowhere near as charming as the fourteen original Oz books. We start with the Hungry Tiger and the Cowardly Lion debating whether they'd like to eat babies and rip people to shreds. The stories' plots are very simple, but the writing style isn't, and it didn't keep my child's attention very well. I actually think he'd get far more joy from the original books although they're longer.

Do keep in mind, though, that my son is only three. I think that die-hard Oz fans who are familia...more
Anna
A cute collection of short stories. All were clearly Baum-esque, unlike the "Queer Visitors" collection which did not really hold Baum's voice as a story-teller. Finishing this made me wish there were more Oz stories in the volume or more Oz stories within another book.

Funny how Baum fails to keep consistency in his magic in Oz. In here, Toto can't talk, but in later Oz books, he can.

I think I really liked Dorothy and Toto's story best in this collection, even though Jack Pumpkinhead is my favou...more
Neil
Six short stories of Oz, despite the stories being written by L. Frank Baum and illustrated by John R. Neill this is a minor addition to the Oz canon often not counted amongst the other books. Baum is clearly aiming the stories here at a younger audience and unfortunately writing down and preaching more than usual, that said all the stories have flashes of pure Baum humour. Neill's illustrations despite almost all being in colour often lack the detail of his best work.
Susan
Technically maybe a three plus. This was a quick read with just a handful of stories featuring favorite characters: Scarecrow, Nick Chopper, Tik Tok, etc. Some are a little stronger than others, but though the shorter format seems to bring out more of Baum's didactic side, they're all still pretty entertaining in their own way. "The Scarecrow and Tin Woodman" kind of deviated from the characterization a bit for the sake of slapstick, but it's a pretty minor complaint.
Yvonne Miller
Very good, really enjoyed it.
George
This was a quick, fun read. It actually should be read around book 7 or so in the series to fit in chronologically, but I got to it late. Again, there were some inconsistencies with the Oz toward the end of the series (namely the immortality of Oz characters that gradually appeared later in the series). But I had fun reading these short adventures of different Oz citizens.
Therese
Feb 04, 2014 Therese rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: die hard Oz fans
$0.0

I'm being generous in giving this book 3 stars because I really wanted to give it 2.5. These are very short stories about some of the interesting characters who inhabit the land of Oz, but there isn't much substance to them and I found them rather silly in stead of intriguing as I have found the original ones.
Jessi
These were a series of cute and punny stories that re-introduced us to the major Oz characters after a 2-year hiatus from writing Oz stories.

My major complaint with the Oz books is standard through all of them--Baum only generally paid attention to his previous writing, so there are some noticeable discrepancies.
dthaase
This is a wonderfully whimsical read. A thin volume of short stories involving a variety of Oz characters. An excellent read-out -loud-to-the-kids-before-bed kind of book. And for those of you who are only familiar with the "The Wizard of Oz", know that Baum actually wrote 15 books in the Oz series!
Will Waller
Little Wizard Stories is just that, stories of life in OZ. Nothing really of note in these stories. They contain fragments of characters and do very little to push the overall arch of the OZ tales. Only read if you're an OZ freak.
Elinor  Loredan
A great collection of stories. Each one is very humorous and wise, supplemented by the genius illustrations. My favorites are the ones with the lion and tiger, Dorothy and Toto, and Ozma and the Wizard.
Alex
Only a couple of these are solid enough to stand alone ("Tiktok and the Nome King" and "Ozma and the Little Wizard") while the remainder are amusing sidebar filler about the characters of Oz.
R. C.
One of my favorite Oz books, especially for little beginners. My four-year-old listened to the Librivox recording at bedtime and enjoyed it thoroughly.
Joann
Interesting to read these 6 short stories, exploring the characters from the OZ stories. Loved the art by Neill, very dated writing and art, but truly fascinating.
Mary
Oz has a princess! These very short stories are a great addition after reading The Wizard of Oz, and introduce new characters, such as Princess Ozma.

Spenser
Better than I thought it would be, but there are much better Oz books.
Did enjoy the story with the Cowardly Lion and Hungry Tiger.
Clarissa
Lovely short stories about the characters you know and love from the previous full length books in the Oz series.
Avalon
Wizard of Oz #14. To end the series we revisited each character and found out how their life would continue.
Kally
Some lovely stories where you don't have to think too much to read them :)
Dana
This was a cute book of short stories about the land of oz.
Jennie
just as good now as it was when i was a child!
Liz
Cute short volume. Standard Baum.
  • Kabumpo in Oz (Oz, #16)
  • The Witch Of Clatteringshaws
  • Wet Magic
  • Fairy Tales Every Child Should Know
  • In Mike We Trust
  • Welsh Fairy Tales
  • You Wish (The Misadventures of Benjamin Bartholomew Piff, #1)
  • The Soulmate Experience: A Practical Guide to Creating Extraordinary Relationships
  • Walt Disney's Uncle Scrooge: Only a Poor Old Man (The Carl Barks Library, #12)
  • Dragon Outcast (Age of Fire #3)
Lyman Frank Baum was an American author, actor, and independent filmmaker best known as the creator, along with illustrator W. W. Denslow, of one of the most popular books in American children's literature, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, better known today as simply The Wizard of Oz. He wrote thirteen sequels, nine other fantasy novels, and a plethora of other works (55 novels in total, 82 short stor...more
More about L. Frank Baum...
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Oz, #1) Ozma of Oz (Oz, #3) The Marvelous Land of Oz (Oz, #2) The Road to Oz (Oz, #5) Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz (Oz, #4)