Start by marking “Little Wizard Stories Of Oz” as Want to Read:
Little Wizard Stories Of Oz

Little Wizard Stories Of Oz (Oz #7.5)

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  656 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews

Two great beasts, a lion and a tiger, shared guard duties at the throne of beloved Queen Ozma.

"You have enough to eat, I'm sure!" said the Cowardly Lion.

"Enough, perhaps -- but not the kind of food I long for," answered the Hungry Tiger. "What I'm hungry for is fat babies. I have a great desire to eat a few fat babies. Then, perhaps, the people of Oz would fear me and I'd

Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1913)

To ask other readers questions about Little Wizard Stories Of Oz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Wizard Stories Of Oz

Muzzlehatch
Sep 22, 2009 Muzzlehatch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids and kids at heart
Shelves: fantasy, juvenile
A charming little volume containing several very short Oz stories involving many of the major characters that had featured in the first 7 or so books in the series proper. Clearly aimed at an even younger audience than the regular books, most adults will probably find these a little too silly -- though some of the wordplay that both Baum and his successors are known for is in evidence (the Imps -- Udent, Olite and Ertinent, for example). John R. Neill's illustrations are among his best and are t ...more
King Ævil
All of Baum's Oz books have some material no longer considered appropriate for children, but this one is unusually disturbing. Also, why does the Wizard have antennae in all the pictures?
Stephen
Nov 24, 2014 Stephen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fine collection of short Oz stories that I devoured with the daughter two at a time before bedtime.
Kelsey Marie
Out of all of the books of Oz that I have read, this one has been my least favorite. The little stories in it didn't serve a purpose, there weren't any of Baum's usual puns, there was no wit behind any of it. It was very disappointing.
Ylva Carennah
Jul 11, 2016 Ylva Carennah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
This booklet consists of six short stories — or, perhaps it would be more accurate to call them tiny stories (not even "little stories", as the title of the booklet says). Alas, all the stories are very boring, and they don't even have any point to them. For this reason, I wouldn't recommend this booklet to anybody, not even children. Children should be given entertaining and fun stories to read, so that they would learn to enjoy reading and to love books. Boring, pointless stories like the ones ...more
Tony Laplume
This collection of short stories is a pleasant enough reminder of L. Frank Baum's lively imagination, but it's mostly non-essential reading, except for the first entry featuring the Cowardly Lion and the Hungry Tiger. The Lion shot to fame thanks to the 1939 movie, but in the books he never attained the same kind of prominence as the Scarecrow and Tin Woodman. Fans tend to attribute this to his absence in Baum's original stage adaptation, but the truth is, his was a different character altogethe ...more
Meg McGregor
Nov 22, 2014 Meg McGregor rated it it was ok
Shelves: fairy-tales, oz-books
Well, as with most books comprised of short stories, there were a couple that I liked and a couple that I didn't.

This book is obviously intended for the younger Oz reader. And I think that is fine.

But it is too watered down. I am really surprised that Baum would "dumb down" any type of story for his readers.

The story I really liked was The Cowardly Lion and the Hungry Tiger. I always suspected both these two of just being old softies and I was right all along.
Maria Eleynita
This was a quick, fun and light read! A collection of short stories about Oz, the Lion and the Tiger, the Imps, Ozma, Tinman and the Scarecrow. I love the stories and I enjoyed each one of them. I like the story of the Lion and the Tiger, so cute!!
rastronomicals
Filthy and obscene.

Ha, you knew I was just kidding.

No, actually, Baum was always adamant in saying that he wrote for all ages. But Little Wizard (and maybe Magical Monarch) are oddballs in the canon in that they were specially written for children. These are as a result I think fairly unvivid snippets, with no puns, no real conflict, no new places, no new characters. The best of these six short tales was probably the one about Dorothy and the evil giant she thought she found, but its Very Speci
Kim
Feb 15, 2009 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a Wizard of Oz fan and always love return visits to Oz. This is a collection of small stories with all the familiar characters.
Spenser Barranco
Better than I thought it would be, but there are much better Oz books.
Did enjoy the story with the Cowardly Lion and Hungry Tiger.
Dexter
Jan 27, 2015 Dexter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A reread from my childhood, since I'm in the midst of the Popsugar 2015 Reading Challenge (Google it, it's fascinating). I loved this book as a child, but reading it now as an adult, it's too juvenile for me. Also, these stories were just "samples" of the Oz mythos and not as good as the Oz books by Baum. Reading this book from my childhood for the 2015 Challenge was a wonderful revisit, and did evoke stirring memories of childhood, but I've moved on to more complex and adult-level reading.

This
Terrence
May 17, 2016 Terrence rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This collection has been sitting on my bookshelf for a couple of years. I noticed it while reviewing my small (but growing) collection of Baum authored Oz books, and decided to give it a go. I am very pleased that I did!
This Dover Publications reproduction of the original book is a treat both to look at and read. The six short stories include a few tales about the well-loved citizens of Oz, and are just the right length to read before bedtime. The wonderful artwork continues to accent these magi
Sherri
Jul 13, 2015 Sherri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This will definitely be on the bookshelf of books to read to my children.
D M
Sep 02, 2012 D M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
3 years after the intended end to the Oz books (Baum wanted to write other fantastical tales-FAIL!), he releases a series of short stories that were used to appeal to a "younger?" audience and reignite interest in the series. these stories were released prior to 'the patchwork girl of oz' (1913), and collected into volume in 1914.

could you read them before or after 'the patchwork girl?' (yes) or at the end of the entire Baum-end of the series, as i've seen some reviewers comment about? (sure) i
Kate  K. F.
When I was younger, I read through my parents copies of the Oz books and these stories made me smile. The illustrations and book quality were wonderful but it left me wanting to reread the full novels. Most of these stories work better if you've read the other tales of Oz as they reference characters introduced there. They also can work if you haven't read them as charming slightly odd fairy tales. I would hand this book to a reader who's in elementary school and older and looking for fairy tale ...more
Nat Cabrera
I definitely didn't enjoy it as the wonderful wizard of Oz.
It's a small collection of short stories.
I thought it was some kind of epilogue with stories that described what happened to the characters after Dorothy left to Kansas. Although the same characters were involved in the stories, it had nothing to do with The Wizard of Oz. Kind of disappointed, but maybe for little kids is recommended.
Mitchell
A bunch of simple short stories of Oz. Very heavy on the deus ex machina and not very substantial. But pleasant. The art doesn't quite match up with the stories but it still adds to the whole. It's interesting to remember that in the series of Oz, the Wizard becomes a Wizard after all. While in popular media where he is known primarily from the movie, he is just a fraud. In any case these stories are a bit too simple for me, but would read aloud just fine.
Joyce
Some short stories by Baum. I really liked it. Some more then others, but overall they were good. I love how they all have a little moral. It definitely makes the book more interesting. I thought it was funny and very entertaining. I loved the adventures that takes place in Oz. It is such a creative world, that it peaks my imagination.
Jim
Aug 03, 2014 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
beautiful edition published by dover. full color, okay intro by martin gardner that would have worked better as an afterward, type is light blue, many of the illos come at the wrong point of the story. really good intro to characters popular in the later books.
Holli
Blah. And why didn't Ozma use her magic belt on the Imps? Why did she leave getting them out of problems to the Wizard when she saw he was having so much trouble? She is really kind of useless.
Roxanne
This was fun enough, but I don't get why the Wizard is always referred to as "the Little Wizard". I don't remember him being super-little in any of the other books.
Dannis Cole
Mar 10, 2015 Dannis Cole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute Little Stories

I had never read this book. The stories are cute and all end happily. I think these would be great for read aloud or bedtime.
Kinksrock
Jan 19, 2016 Kinksrock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute short stories featuring the Oz characters, aimed at a younger audience than the readers of the series.
Dione Basseri
A collection of short stories set in Oz, most of which I can not recall in the few weeks since reading. The only one I remember is the first, in which the Cowardly Lion and the Hungry Tiger go in search of babies to eat and grown men to kill. Of course, this being Oz, they do no such thing, and gladly go back to a placid life serving Ozma.

Very lackluster, even for the Wizard of Oz. These stories were originally meant to interest new readers in a revitalized series, and they may interest the very
Kat
Aug 06, 2014 Kat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cute, fun set of short stories featuring some favorite Oz characters. Definitely work a read for any fan of the other books.
Carolyn
Jan 22, 2016 Carolyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finally found a copy of this...very cute short stories of the classic OZ characters
Debbie Jarrell
Dec 19, 2015 Debbie Jarrell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a small book of short stories about the land of Oz.
Dianna
Feb 22, 2010 Dianna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
These stories are nowhere near as charming as the fourteen original Oz books. We start with the Hungry Tiger and the Cowardly Lion debating whether they'd like to eat babies and rip people to shreds. The stories' plots are very simple, but the writing style isn't, and it didn't keep my child's attention very well. I actually think he'd get far more joy from the original books although they're longer.

Do keep in mind, though, that my son is only three. I think that die-hard Oz fans who are familia
Anna
A cute collection of short stories. All were clearly Baum-esque, unlike the "Queer Visitors" collection which did not really hold Baum's voice as a story-teller. Finishing this made me wish there were more Oz stories in the volume or more Oz stories within another book.

Funny how Baum fails to keep consistency in his magic in Oz. In here, Toto can't talk, but in later Oz books, he can.

I think I really liked Dorothy and Toto's story best in this collection, even though Jack Pumpkinhead is my favou
  • The Silver Princess in Oz (Book 32)
  • The Witch of Clatteringshaws (The Wolves Chronicles, #11)
  • The Real Wizard of Oz: The Life and Times of L. Frank Baum
  • Aunt Jane's Nieces (Aunt Jane's Nieces, #1)
  • A Kidnapped Santa Claus
  • Lucky
also wrote under the name Edith Van Dyne, Floyd Akers

Lyman Frank Baum was an American author, actor, and independent filmmaker best known as the creator, along with illustrator W. W. Denslow, of one of the most popular books in American children's literature, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, better known today as simply The Wizard of Oz. He wrote thirteen sequels, nine other fantasy novels, and a pleth
More about L. Frank Baum...

Oz (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Oz, #1)
  • The Marvelous Land of Oz (Oz, #2)
  • Ozma of Oz (Oz, #3)
  • Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz (Oz, #4)
  • The Road to Oz (Oz, #5)
  • The Emerald City of Oz (Oz, #6)
  • The Patchwork Girl of Oz (Oz, #7)
  • Tik-Tok of Oz (Oz, #8)
  • The Scarecrow of Oz (Oz, #9)
  • Rinkitink in Oz (Oz, #10)