Start by marking “Elements of Cooking” as Want to Read:
Elements of Cooking

Elements of Cooking

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  814 ratings  ·  68 reviews
In "The Elements of Cooking, New York Times "bestselling author Michael Ruhlman deconstructs the essential knowledge of the kitchen to reveal what professional chefs know only after years of training and experience. With alphabetically ordered entries and eight beautifully written essays, Ruhlman outlines what it takes to cook well: understanding heat, using the right tool ...more
Published November 6th 2007 by Scribner Book Company

To ask other readers questions about Elements of Cooking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elements of Cooking

Ptwee
- Loved the introduction (Anthony Bourdain) and the Notes on Cooking section, especially the explainer on how the most important skills in cooking are knowing how to properly salt food, and knowing how to properly use heat.
- There's a special section on the egg, which makes sense because it's included in dishes that fall on so many points of the heat spectrum... Ruhlman explains somewhere that a chef who has excellent command of the egg will have excellent command of everything else.
- Well-wri
Misty
I've always aspired to cook without a recipe, and this book gives me the tools and principles for doing just that. I plan to keep this book handy in my kitchen as a reference guide. Modeled after Strunk and White's Elements of Style, this book has the same structure - essays on important aspects of cooking that are the building blocks of any recipe (stocks, proper salting, temperature), followed by an alphabetical definition of cooking terms and ingredients. Want to know what a mandoline is? Wan ...more
Lisa
Whatever chops you thought you had in the kitchen, this guy makes you feel like a jackass. Modeled on the Elements of Style by Strunk and White, Michael Ruhlman gives a very idiosyncratic and opinionated take on the fundamentals of cooking, in eight essays, which are both intimidating and illuminating. Through them, he gets to the heart of what elevates cooking to an art. The essay on stock is a little scary, particularly when he holds forth on the virtues of veal stock. But he also shares very ...more
Christina
This cheerless book emulates The Elements of Style by offering definitions of some foundational techniques and ingredients that all cooks should know, according to the author. There's only one recipe, for veal stock: Ruhlman says much home cooking could be improved by the addition of veal stock. I'll take his word on that.

As for the techniques and definitions, I didn't find myself learning much that I didn't already know. For example, the "flavor" definition starts "arguably the most important
Joseph
This is an excellent book. It is more a reference book than a cookbook. Don't buy this if you are looking for recipes. Buy this if you want basics of making stocks and sauces. Those parts of the book make this worth the cost. He then moves to basics like salt and eggs. Then he covers heat and tools. After these basics the book becomes a reference of food terms and food. Ruhlman is thorough to the point of being anal. But, in this instance you want someone who is thoroughly anal. Tony Bourdain, R ...more
Stephen
Michael Ruhlman knows a lot about a lot; he has written a number of successful books sharing his culinary knowledge and experiences. In a deliberate attempt to duplicate what Strunk and White's "The Elements of Style" does for writers, Ruhlman wrote "The Elements of Cooking" in the same style for cooks. The book is more than a dictionary but less than an encyclopedia of cooking. The first fifty pages contain highly opinionated essays about various topics such as veal stock, salt and the proper k ...more
Ben Exner
Jan 01, 2008 Ben Exner rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cooks and foodies
An "Elements of Style"-inspired take on the world of cooking by Michael Ruhlman, Elements of Cooking provides both wannabe and professional cooks with 8 short essays on what he views to be the most important ingredients/tools/concepts separating good cooking from great cooking. Ruhlman also includes a glossary of food terms that is actually interesting to read on its own. Following the "...of a Chef" trilogy and some very nice cookbooks, I have wondered where Ruhlman's muse was going to take him ...more
This book has a few essays at the beginning and then the rest is like a dictionary of cooking terms. I actually read through the entire thing and learned a lot about cooking. Some of it, I've already put into practice. For example, I'm trying to be diligent about salting food as I go rather than just assuming that I can add the salt at the end. I did this with one of our favorite rice dishes on Friday, and salting early in the cooking process made a remarkable difference in how good the food tas ...more
Laa93
Nice beginning but after that it's basic definition. It good for beginners interested in understanding how to cook so they can do this without recipes or use it to understand recipes enough to modify with substitutions.
Freddo Ru
The book discussed basics of cooking, from the ingredients to the techniques. For the culinary enthusiast and the culinary students, it's a recommended read. The most important part of the book are the essays. Michael Ruhlman discusses things that the ordinary person doesn't consider important to home cooking. Things like heat, tools of the trade, stocks, and even sauces are the foundation of cooking. Without these concepts to focus on, it won't be as easy as grasping what you really want from y ...more
Ragallachmc
Jan 09, 2008 Ragallachmc rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Culinary school students
Aimed more at the home cook or the kitchen neophyte, this book does contain some nuggets for kitchen pros. The essays at the beginning, although not containing a ton of new information for me, were engaging and thoughtful. I've always liked Ruhlman's prose style, and this is just more of that. Following the essays is a small encyclopedia/index of restaurant and culinary terms. Although not as exhaustive as The New Food Lover's Companion, it still covered the basics. Overall, if you know someone ...more
Mjaballah
Although Ruhlman is a renowned cooking and food journalist this book is not worth buying: I say buying because that was his intention when he structured it as a reference book.
The only section that is worth the money was the first 50 pages where he does a good job of highlighting the essentials of cooking. Here he goes over the basics of heat, seasoning, eggs, ... etc.
So in short, if you are a beginner in the world of cooking, the first 50 pages are worth borrowing the book from your local libra
Ryan
The Elements of Cooking is an interesting almost-narrative glossary of most things you'd need to know to understand what a cook is talking about. I learned the definitions of lots of terms that you see on fancy menus (or hear thrown about on Top Chef or on food blogs), what beurre blanc and beurre rouge are and how to make them, and also how to make stock. We made a great deal of that using the Thanksgiving turkey, which was spectacular. I'd highly recommend this book for the non-cook, the cook, ...more
Anne
Jan 28, 2008 Anne is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Was a gift from a friend who got it for me because of the similarity to The Elements of Style. Interesting in a theoretical way. He takes it all (including himself) a *lot* more seriously than I do (or ever will). I can imagine being seriously interested at this level if you are a professional cook/chef/wannabe, or even having to cook three meals a day for a finicky family for the rest of time. As it is, I find it vaguely amusing for the same reason that Vogue magazine might be: as sociological ...more
Lucinda
More than anything I was unconvinced by the casual style of this book. This might be partially due to subject matter. The beauty of the Elements of Style is that the authors use the book as an example of exactly what they are talking about. "Finesse," one of the main themes of The Elements of Cooking, can't really be given concrete example in written form.

One thing the book did do: it reminded me that I want to got to French Laundry. The date I can call for reservations is now marked on my calen
David Stanley
"ELements" is not a "cookbook" but you'll learn far more about cooking from "Elements" than you will from 99% of the cookbooks available. It's not a "science" book but you'll learn more science than you ever did in 9th grade Bio (Food science & chemistry, mostly). Plus, Ruhlman's skill as a writer is equal to his skills in the kitchen. As Bourdain says in his Intro, this is one of the books every cook/chef should own. No recipes, just everything you need to know about everything in the kitch ...more
Mindy
I was disappointed a bit by this book. I guess I didn't investigate it very thoroughly before ordering it, because it was considerably shorter than I'd expected and was geared more towards the serious gastronome... I suppose I'd have known that if I was already a Ruhlman fan, as I know many are.

However, for me, there was far too much detail about doing complex things with meat and lard, etc. Hardly a replacement for broad, basic cookbook tutorials like those I've relied on in The Joy of Cooking.
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Well, I'm not sure why Ruhlman bothered to write this book, to be honest, since most of the useful information is taken directly from the books he was influenced by. At least he cites them. I think you'd be better served to go out and buy Escoffier, McGee, and the Zuni Cafe Cookbook (the three he references constantly). Those are the books I'll buy for my kitchen reference collection. Besides.. how could he leave out "in the weeds?"
Cindy
I read the intro part to this book which was decent. Half the book is a glossary of cooking terms, so I suppose its more of a reference type book...which is not what I was expecting. I highly recommend the other books he's written, they are all interesting looks into the life of a chef. This one is really only good if you are needing to understand terms in a cookbook that you may not understand.
Christy
This book is a more straightforward, almost scientific way to look at cooking and the elements that make up the recipes we like. I found it to be really interesting, even if I won't use much of that knowledge.*

*I had to change my review because, after having read it, I found myself thinking. A LOT. Now I am finding that I need my own copy to reference in the future.
Joshua Hansford
If you like to cook or want to know more about cooking read this book. The book is filled with knowledge and explainations of just about everything in a kitchen. It breaks the information down into what you need to know to accomplish the task in the kitchen. I have a culinary degree from Le Cordon Blue and I think this should be required reading for Basic Kitchen Skills.
Molly
Dec 17, 2007 Molly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: foodies everywhere
Shelves: food
Ruhlman's passionate about food, friendly to the novice, and writes with a nice rhythm. I read all the essays at the beginning of the book (veal stock! heat! salt! finesse!) and plan to dip in to the definitions as needed. This strikes me as a lovely -- and literary -- kitchen resource, very "Elements of Style"-ish. I like to think E. B. White would approve.
Jonathan
While fascinating (who knew that salting was a cook’s most important skill), I don’t think reading this will make you a better cook. However, if you want food for thought, read the essays in the front of the book (on subjects such as salt, a cook’s five essential tools, the egg, and stock). The glossary of cooking terms in the back of the book is also awesome.
Ian
I've become a big fan of Michael Ruhlman's writing (mostly through his blog), so this seemed like a no-brainer to pick up. At first, the glossary format didn't appeal to me, but the more I read, the more I learned. And the essays that comprise the first 1/4 of the book are compelling reading for anyone who has an interest in the craft of cooking (and cooking well).
Christine
I picked this up after seeing it on the stack of "new" books at the library. I had read this author's book about his time at the Culinary Institute of America so it caught my eye. I really liked the first 50 pages but was disappointed when it turned into a dictionary of food terms. Not exactly read cover to cover material.
Nadia
The essays that begin this book are outstanding. A must-read for anyone who's serious about cooking, and gets a kick out of someone waxing rhapsodic about veal stock. The latter section of the book is a glossary of terms and so not really something to read straight through, but interesting to browse through.
Alison
I suspect this book isn't necessarily meant to be read cover to cover--it's a kind of encyclopedia of cooking terms that can help you decipher any menu or recipe--but I read it anyway, because Michael Ruhlman is such a good writer. AND he makes me want to be a better cook, without being condescending at all.
M
I really liked the essays at the beginning. But the definition entries going from A to Z were not really informative enough to be useful or interesting enough to dive into. I would have preferred less topics covered in essay format in the beginning instead of a glossary.
Alex
This book has about 40 pages of basic cooking topics - like stocks, salt, and heat - followed by about 200 pages of definitions, which are good as a reference. I found the basic topics very helpful. I learned how to make a better chicken stock and used it to make a soup.
Randall
Ruhlman's book really filled a lot of gaps in my budding culinary knowledge. In dictionary format, he goes over all the essentials in a way that beginners will appreciate - he feeds your curiosity without leaving you in the technical dust. An excellent reference resource.
  • Keys to Good Cooking: A Guide to Making the Best of Foods and Recipes
  • Ideas in Food: Great Recipes and Why They Work
  • Simple French Food
  • Modernist Cuisine: The Art and Science of Cooking
  • The Improvisational Cook
  • My Last Supper: 50 Great Chefs and Their Final Meals / Portraits, Interviews, and Recipes
  • The Whole Beast: Nose to Tail Eating
  • Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art
  • The Complete Keller: The French Laundry Cookbook & Bouchon
  • What's a Cook to Do?: An Illustrated Guide to 484 Essential Tips, Techniques, and Tricks
  • The Science of Good Food: The Ultimate Reference on How Cooking Works
  • A Return to Cooking
  • Paris Sweets: Great Desserts from the City's Best Pastry Shops
  • The Escoffier Cookbook: and Guide to the Fine Art of Cookery for Connoisseurs, Chefs, Epicures
Michael Ruhlman (born 1963 in Cleveland, Ohio) is an American writer. He is the author of 11 books, and is best known for his work about and in collaboration with American chefs, as well as other works of non-fiction.

Ruhlman grew up in Cleveland and was educated at University School (a private boys' day school in Cleveland) and at Duke University, graduating from the latter in 1985. He worked a se
More about Michael Ruhlman...
The Making of a Chef: Mastering Heat at the Culinary Institute of America The Soul of a Chef: The Journey Toward Perfection Ratio: The Simple Codes Behind the Craft of Everyday Cooking Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing The Reach of a Chef: Beyond the Kitchen