Start by marking “A Sacred Duty” as Want to Read:
A Sacred Duty

A Sacred Duty

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Recounts the exciting true story of how Richard Wilkins, as a delegate at an important UN conference, used the principles of the First Presidency's proclamation to defend the traditional family against a vigorous, modern-day attack. This engaging account offers readers an example of how the gospel and devoted individuals can affect the course of history and changes the hea ...more
Published December 31st 1999 by Bookcraft (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about A Sacred Duty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Sacred Duty

Elizabeth
This was a very short book written by someone who is a friend of my parents whom I knew growing up. He is explaining an experience he had attending an international conference on the family. I loved hearing about the way the Lord lead him through the event. I also appreciated hearing his perspective on the sacrifices that he made and the lessons that he learned. Richard was quietly and directly called by the Lord to do and important job. No one would have known if he had not responded. But he di ...more
Rebecca
I just loved this book, so many interesting things to think about. I almost cried several times. Just a quote I wanted to post from the book (pg. 101). They are talking about choices we make in life: "We choose, of course, but it's more like we make one grand choice and then after that we simply follow where that leads us, and we have no more choice becasue we've yielded it already. That first grand choice is between comfort and growth; because the choice for growth means that we must make subse ...more
Celestia
This book made me cry twice while reading. It is a true story of one man fulfilling his mission to fight for the family. It gives eye-opening info about the history of the U.N. I got to meet one of the characters in the book in person and hear her story. This is a must-read for every believer in the natural family.
Jenn
3.5 stars.
It made the social/political attack on families and traditional values very real. I didn't love the writing, but the experiences of Richard Wilkins are worth reading about, especially if you are concerned about the values society esteems.
Jan
This is an amazing book about a journey a man took across the world to defend the sanctity of marriage. Miracle after miracle took place, putting this man where he needed to be, looking like he needed to look, saying what he needed to say.
Linda
Jun 09, 2008 Linda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: lds
a must read, eye-opening book about the politics behind the destruction of the family. Richard Wilkins brings to attention the forces that are even now coming to light, about those re-defining the roles of woman and family.
Jacquie
Not the most well written book, but quite an experience he had. Who knew the united nations had such a huge impact on our day to life. SCARY! We all need to be involved before the psychos take over.
Debbie
This was a great insight into the real need to be involved in the politics that affect traditional values. I would recommend it to anyone who believe the traditional family is an institution worth saving.
Becky
What a difference one person can make in changing the world! This is an incrediable story that few know about. Professor Wilkins has accomplished so much in championing the family world-wide. Great read.
Jera Gunther
This was really interesting. I didn't know much about the workings of the UN. I know this is only one perspective, but I enjoyed it.
Cris
Inspiring read! It makes me recognize how important families are and makes me want to do more to help and protect them.
Nicholeen
So far this is a great book! What a humble, inspiring story.
Kirk
Can't sleep? Pick this one up. You'll be out in no time.

Sound586
It's inspiring to read books about modern day heroes.
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Cami Putnam
Cami Putnam marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Olivia
Olivia marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2013
Victor Velez
Victor Velez marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2013
Sheridan
Sheridan marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2013
Caitlin
Caitlin is currently reading it
Mar 20, 2013
Autumn
Autumn marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2012
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2012
Jeannie
Jeannie marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Confronting the Myth of Self-Esteem: Twelve Keys to Finding Peace The Promise of the Atonement: Cure for Broken Dreams What Think Ye of Christmas? The Myth of Self Esteem What think you of Christmas?