Start by marking “A Sacred Duty” as Want to Read:
A Sacred Duty

A Sacred Duty

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  63 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Recounts the exciting true story of how Richard Wilkins, as a delegate at an important UN conference, used the principles of the First Presidency's proclamation to defend the traditional family against a vigorous, modern-day attack. This engaging account offers readers an example of how the gospel and devoted individuals can affect the course of history and changes the hea ...more
Published December 31st 1999 by Bookcraft (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about A Sacred Duty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Sacred Duty

Wendee
May 06, 2016 Wendee rated it it was amazing
I never knew there was so much corruption in the United Nations until I read this account of a group who fought against the corruption in order to protect families. I was inspired by the miraculous events that occurred to help this important effort. It provided evidence to me that God cares about His children in every nation and when we gather in His name and for his purposes, He is there to help us.

I read this for a college class, but would recommend it to anyone who cares about families and wa
Jessie Barrett
May 26, 2016 Jessie Barrett rated it it was amazing
I am so grateful for those who give of their daily lives in defense of the traditional family! Richard is a hero!
Megan
May 31, 2016 Megan rated it it was amazing
The writing could use a little bit of improvement, but the story is one that, hopefully, many will read.
Elizabeth
Apr 14, 2009 Elizabeth rated it liked it
This was a very short book written by someone who is a friend of my parents whom I knew growing up. He is explaining an experience he had attending an international conference on the family. I loved hearing about the way the Lord lead him through the event. I also appreciated hearing his perspective on the sacrifices that he made and the lessons that he learned. Richard was quietly and directly called by the Lord to do and important job. No one would have known if he had not responded. But he di ...more
Rebecca
Jan 29, 2009 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
I just loved this book, so many interesting things to think about. I almost cried several times. Just a quote I wanted to post from the book (pg. 101). They are talking about choices we make in life: "We choose, of course, but it's more like we make one grand choice and then after that we simply follow where that leads us, and we have no more choice becasue we've yielded it already. That first grand choice is between comfort and growth; because the choice for growth means that we must make subse ...more
Abby
Jun 10, 2015 Abby rated it really liked it
I read this book for one of my classes. It was interesting and well written.
Celestia
Jun 11, 2010 Celestia rated it it was amazing
This book made me cry twice while reading. It is a true story of one man fulfilling his mission to fight for the family. It gives eye-opening info about the history of the U.N. I got to meet one of the characters in the book in person and hear her story. This is a must-read for every believer in the natural family.
Jenn
Mar 15, 2010 Jenn rated it liked it
Shelves: bookclub-lehi
3.5 stars.
It made the social/political attack on families and traditional values very real. I didn't love the writing, but the experiences of Richard Wilkins are worth reading about, especially if you are concerned about the values society esteems.
Jan
Jan 22, 2013 Jan rated it really liked it
This is an amazing book about a journey a man took across the world to defend the sanctity of marriage. Miracle after miracle took place, putting this man where he needed to be, looking like he needed to look, saying what he needed to say.
Linda
Jun 09, 2008 Linda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds
a must read, eye-opening book about the politics behind the destruction of the family. Richard Wilkins brings to attention the forces that are even now coming to light, about those re-defining the roles of woman and family.
Jacquie
Oct 27, 2008 Jacquie rated it liked it
Not the most well written book, but quite an experience he had. Who knew the united nations had such a huge impact on our day to life. SCARY! We all need to be involved before the psychos take over.
Debbie
Apr 11, 2016 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great insight into the real need to be involved in the politics that affect traditional values. I would recommend it to anyone who believe the traditional family is an institution worth saving.
Becky
Mar 03, 2008 Becky rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious
What a difference one person can make in changing the world! This is an incrediable story that few know about. Professor Wilkins has accomplished so much in championing the family world-wide. Great read.
Jera Gunther
Jan 07, 2013 Jera Gunther rated it really liked it
This was really interesting. I didn't know much about the workings of the UN. I know this is only one perspective, but I enjoyed it.
Cris
Jul 27, 2009 Cris rated it really liked it
Inspiring read! It makes me recognize how important families are and makes me want to do more to help and protect them.
Nicholeen
Dec 20, 2010 Nicholeen rated it really liked it
So far this is a great book! What a humble, inspiring story.
Kirk
Feb 19, 2009 Kirk rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Can't sleep? Pick this one up. You'll be out in no time.

Sound586
Sep 01, 2008 Sound586 rated it it was amazing
It's inspiring to read books about modern day heroes.
Samantha
Samantha rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2016
Vonelle Riley
Vonelle Riley rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2016
Michele Southwick
Michele Southwick marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Sydney
Sydney rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2016
Christin
Christin rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2016
Emmylou Baird
Emmylou Baird marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Matt Jeffs
Matt Jeffs rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2015
Christy
Christy rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2015