Start by marking “Bambi (Disney Bambi)” as Want to Read:
Bambi (Disney Bambi)

Bambi (Walt Disney Classics #2)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  9,962 ratings  ·  72 reviews
Published September 14th 2004 by Golden/Disney (first published January 28th 1941)

To ask other readers questions about Bambi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bambi

The Monster at the End of this Book by Jon StoneThe Poky Little Puppy by Janette Sebring LowreyThe Little Engine That Could by Watty PiperBeauty and the Beast by Teddy SlaterThe Saggy Baggy Elephant by Kathryn Jackson
My FAVORITE LITTLE GOLDEN BOOK
8th out of 103 books — 73 voters
Pinocchio by Eugene Bradley CocoThe Little Mermaid by Michael TeitelbaumSleeping Beauty by Michael TeitelbaumSnow White and the Seven Dwarfs by Walt Disney CompanyWalt Disney's Mother Goose by Al Dempster
Best Disney Little Golden Books
15th out of 102 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Lauren
. . . . never again
Alisha Bennett
Like most of my generation; the reading of this classic children's story was overshadowed by my memories of the Disney movie. Although I do remember reading the book along with the tape (you will know it is time to turn the page when you hear the chimes, like this....). That being said, however there is a reason that this story is a classic; albeit a sad one. Think of this as the origin of Lion King if you will; a story of the circle of life and the transition of the crown from father to son (wi ...more
Drew Graham
I found this relatively rare book randomly (and at an incredibly discounted price) when a favorite bookstore was going out of business. This short book is a beautiful collection of animation production sketches from Bambi. The movie itself is a symphony in many ways, and these drawings illustrate wonderfully the simplicity and elegance of the characters and the world they inhabit. There isn't much by way of realistic animal drawings that you read about them doing during production (the ones base ...more
Krista Basilio
In a forest thicket, a doe gives birth to a fawn whom she names Bambi. After he learns to walk, Bambi befriends Thumper, a young rabbit; then, while learning to talk, Bambi meets a young skunk whom he calls "Flower" (the skunk says that he does not mind this name at all, and the infant Bambi says, "Flower, pretty Flower").

After Bambi has completely learned how to talk, his mother takes him to the meadow, a place that is both wonderful and frightening. Bambi's mother warns him that deer are unpro
Natalie
Unlike the other Disney classics like Snow White, Pinocchio, and Dumbo, Bambi took a different direction on how it was going to tell its story. Instead of doing another story based off of fairy tale or a book, Bambi is more of a coming-to-age story of this young deer.

The plot is very simple and not all that interesting. Bambi is born, he grows and discovers things of the forest, his mother is killed and his father raises him, he grows to become and adult and he takes his father's place as the G
Lyra  Goga
I remember that my mom read this to me. I was young so I just listened to the story and enjoyed the beautiful illustrations. I got so sad when the young deer lost his mother to a hunter and honestly I don’t really remember what else happened; I just know that I really loved it.
Diane
This is a good reduction of the movie. Bambi's mother's death is a bit cryptic, but perhaps that's just as ell. I remember being terrorized by the movie when I saw it at age six. I'm interested in finding the original written by Felix Salten, if it's available.
Jenny williams
Unfortunately I saw the movie as a child well before I read the book and I have to say the movie was a lot more interesting to me. I'm not sure if it was because Walt Disney published the book of Bambi just because the movie has always been such a classic or what but this book was not very well put together. I refute that Bambi will always be a good tale for children as well as a wonderful movie for the whole family to enjoy. I guess I'm just frustrated because a book like this should have been ...more
April Washington
Bambi made me remember parenthood and how my mom was a great mother. How loving and caring the animals was with each other. How the world really isn't this way. I try to teach my daughter that children don't actually act like this and you can't make them. Remember life isn't a fairy tale. You can only be nice yourself but in the end you might get hurt and loose your way. Like Bambi he lost his mother but was not alone. He had good friends. Life as we know will not be like that but with God it wi ...more
Sarah Dziobak
In Walt Disney's Bambi, it is a sad story about a young deer who loses his mother to a hunter. He learms that when a old stag comes along and tells Bambi that he must learn how to survive on his own. Bambi makes friends with other forest animals, and once he's older the same old swag came to tell him that their was a forest fire. After the next year the forest was almost fully grown and Bambi watched from the hill top as the new prince of the forest. The moral of the story is that even though ba ...more
Atishay
I first saw the Walt Disney version of the classic when I was five or six. And till this date, I love this book and the movie. Simply written with the flair for touching your hearts, this book narrates the story of Bambi, a young fawn born to The Great Prince of the forest. It goes on to describe the events that happen in his life, the tragedies and the corner stones, the way he climbs out of his sorrows and eventually, takes over as the Great Prince himself. A charming yet deep rooted story, a ...more
Ericka
This is a great book for coming of age and about family. Bambi goes through all the stages of life that children will go through. Can discuss with the children what they would like to do when they get a little older (1 yr or 2 yr...etc) talk about their families and what their parents or other family members help them with when need it.
Tameka
I balled my eyes out when Bambi's mother died.
Eric
As a story, this book is merely a dull retelling of the classic film. However, as a parent, this book is interminably long, with huge blocks of text and no pictures. Reading it aloud is absolutely a huge undertaking, especially to a toddler. Which might not be such a bad thing once, or even twice, but upon the 50th retelling of the book, it is an enormous drag on emotional resources.

If I were a mean parent I would simply hide this book from my daughter until she reached the age where she could r
Rachel
I liked it. ⭐⭐⭐
HeavyReader
This book is based on the Disney movie. Boring!

But maybe there is no real Bambi book. Maybe Bambie only exists as a Disney movie and all the merchandising knock-offs spawned from the movie.

Anyway, in my immediate family, my sister as a little kid is known for crying in the movie theater when Bambi's mother died. Or maybe not. Maybe she cried at the Rescuers. Well, if she did cry at the demise of Bambi's mom, who could blame her? That's sad stuff.
Stephanie
I decided to read this book becuase its a great book and its one of my faves this book compeletes the "written before i was born" category (orignally published in 1970's) i liked that bambi is soooo cuuutee and she has lots of little forest friends ! i dislike that bambis mum got shot and she was left alone ! i recomend this to 5-10 yr olds i must say i am a big kid soo i love it ! its a great bed time story :)

looovee steph
Julie
I love Bambi! It is a lovely tale of forest creatures. What I liked about this book was it was completely happy. There were no hunters or fires. I think children would like this story better than the movie because they like happy stories unlike the movie. This unforgettable moment happens where you see the baby dear grow up and it is like just a child. I think teachers could learna a lot from this book about diversity and development.
Kelly
Bambi (the Disney version; not sure if there is another) is a kind of lame hierarchical forest critter story with a lot of character names choking up an already condensed children's book. The illustrations look just like the Disney movie. Conrad and I both enjoyed the forest critters, but Bambi ultimately failed to instill a fear of Man or a cohesive alternative world.
Lisa
Beli buku ini second di Sunday Market, tapi belum ada cacat/rusak sedikitpun. Tertarik sama gambar-gambar di dalamnya yang hidup dan full colour, selain itu ceritanya juga bagus tentang persahabatan. Kertasnya juga bagus, licin. Kalo beli baru di Jakarta pasti harganya diatas 30 ribu deh. Untungnya beli di sana cuma 40 pence, mgkn sktr Rp 7500. Lumayan buat calon anak nanti:))
Room 123
Bambi is a deer. Bambi has a friend. His name is Thumper. Thumper is a gray bunny. Bambi made a lot of new friends. Bambi's mom deer told Bambi that the forest is dangerous. Bambi found a big deer with big antlers. Soon Bambi's mom deer died. Bambi was sad. Then it was spring, Bambi grew up. Go to the local library and get this book! By Ruby
Robert
Nov 09, 2014 Robert rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Robert by: Patty Phillips
Shelves: fiction, deer, animals, donated
The story of Bambi. It's okay. It has been a while since I saw the movie, so I am not certain it is true to that. Mother did die. I was wondering if that would be in this. Somehow I thought Bambi had been a girl, but I gather not. Yes, it's been a few decades. ;)

Easy enough book of a familiar tale, but nothing spectacular.
Sheila
My mom gave me an envelope containing old schoolwork assigments from when I was in grade school. At the age of 8, on an "About Me" writing assignment, where it asks for the best book I ever read, my answer was Bambi, and when it asked what part I liked best I wrote "when Bambi falls on the ice". So there you go!
Kylie Perrine
Everyone knows the movie Bambi. The book is a lot like the movie. They type of cartoon artwork from the movie is the same artwork you will find in the book. This book is great to read to all children. Everyone can find something to relate to in this book and it is a classic that they will want to read again and again.
Chantell
Bambi is a Disney classic. I saw the movie before I could read on my own. I love this story because its a mother child tragedy story.It is such a heart-felt story. When i become a parent I am going to read this book to my children. I don't think this an appropriate school book, but it absolutely a bed time must.
Sally
Bambi was one of the very first films I saw in a cinema, since Disney were awesome enough to re-release lots of their classics into cinemas during the 80s. Another very early one was The Fox and the Hound, which made me cry even more ;)
Agnes Everild
It was such a light story. Faline was sooo sweet and Bambi was really adorable. I hope people who read this can get the message in it ☺️
Joanna
This version is abbreviated which is in keeping with the attention span of a small child but loses a bit too much of the story. I had to modify the English. I really don't speak/read Spanish at this level so I'll leave that to the hubby.
Mia
Good touching book that both 2,5Y and 4Y loved. Provided space for thoughts and emotions and provided consolation. I was a little bit afraid that it would be too scary or sad but i was only one that cried, kids were really brave:-)
Rosa Cline
This book is almost word for word from the movie and the illustrations are nice. So a young reader-listener would enjoy it. A nice book about a young fawn that looses his Momma, but continues to grow up with his forest friends.
  • Walt Disney's Peter Pan (Disney Peter Pan)
  • Sleeping Beauty: a Little Golden Book (Disney Princess)
  • Lady and the Tramp (Disney: a Little Golden Book)
  • The Lion King (Disney's Wonderful World of Reading)
  • Disney's Aladdin: Little Golden Book
  • The Three Bears
  • Disney's The Little Mermaid: Classic Storybook
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • The Three Little Pigs
  • The Little Red Caboose
  • Peter Pan (A Little Golden Book)
  • Sleeping Beauty (Disney Princess, 5)
  • The Bunny Book
  • Frosty the Snowman (Frosty the Snowman)
  • Tawny Scrawny Lion
  • Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
  • Frosty the Snow Man
Note: The decision was made to consolidate all Disney publications under the name Walt Disney Company. This profile is for Walt Disney, the characters he created, and the company he founded. Any questions, please ask in the Librarian's Group.

Walter Elias "Walt" Disney (December 5, 1901 – December 15, 1966) was an American film producer, director, screenwriter, voice actor, animator, entrepreneur,
More about Walt Disney Company...
Dumbo: A Little Golden Book Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Little Golden Book) Winnie the Pooh and Tigger Too (Disney's Wonderful World of Reading) Aladdin (Disney's Wonderful World of Reading) Pinocchio (a Little Golden Book: Classic)