Start by marking “Bambi (Disney Bambi)” as Want to Read:
Bambi (Disney Bambi)

Bambi (Walt Disney Classics #2)

4.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  11,777 Ratings  ·  82 Reviews
Published September 14th 2004 by Golden/Disney (first published January 28th 1941)

To ask other readers questions about Bambi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bambi

The Poky Little Puppy by Janette Sebring LowreyThe Monster at the End of this Book by Jon StoneThe Little Engine That Could by Watty PiperThe Color Kittens by Margaret Wise BrownThe Saggy Baggy Elephant by Kathryn Jackson
My FAVORITE LITTLE GOLDEN BOOK
14th out of 125 books — 93 voters
Pinocchio by Eugene Bradley CocoSnow White and the Seven Dwarfs by Walt Disney CompanyThe Little Mermaid by Michael TeitelbaumSleeping Beauty by Michael TeitelbaumWinnie The Pooh And The Honey Tree by Mary Packard
Best Disney Little Golden Books
23rd out of 104 books — 20 voters

More lists with this book...

Lauren
Feb 19, 2015 Lauren rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens
. . . . never again
Alisha Bennett
Like most of my generation; the reading of this classic children's story was overshadowed by my memories of the Disney movie. Although I do remember reading the book along with the tape (you will know it is time to turn the page when you hear the chimes, like this....). That being said, however there is a reason that this story is a classic; albeit a sad one. Think of this as the origin of Lion King if you will; a story of the circle of life and the transition of the crown from father to son (wi ...more
Drew Graham
Jun 16, 2015 Drew Graham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: me
I found this relatively rare book randomly (and at an incredibly discounted price) when a favorite bookstore was going out of business. This short book is a beautiful collection of animation production sketches from Bambi. The movie itself is a symphony in many ways, and these drawings illustrate wonderfully the simplicity and elegance of the characters and the world they inhabit. There isn't much by way of realistic animal drawings that you read about them doing during production (the ones base ...more
Krista Basilio
Jul 09, 2014 Krista Basilio rated it it was amazing
In a forest thicket, a doe gives birth to a fawn whom she names Bambi. After he learns to walk, Bambi befriends Thumper, a young rabbit; then, while learning to talk, Bambi meets a young skunk whom he calls "Flower" (the skunk says that he does not mind this name at all, and the infant Bambi says, "Flower, pretty Flower").

After Bambi has completely learned how to talk, his mother takes him to the meadow, a place that is both wonderful and frightening. Bambi's mother warns him that deer are unpro
Brooke
May 05, 2015 Brooke added it
Bambi is about a young baby deer that grows up in the forest with lots of friends when one day in the forest his mom gets shot and dies and Bambi has to learn to survive on his own. Bambi grows up and finds a girl deer that he likes. One day the forest gets set on fire and the animals have to move out. They come back a few years later and the forest is green again and Bambi is Prince of the forest and also has children.
Jack
Jan 29, 2016 Jack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: k-g-4
I like the little golden book series for sharing stories with PreSchool-2. I have always liked how loss and love is handled in this story which is based on Bambi by Felix Salten.
Age Range: 3 - 7 years
Grade Level: Preschool - 2
Dharia Scarab

Myself, I go ou
Melissa
I think Bambi is close related to my life because I've been reading this book every since I was 2 years old by the way I think a good book should be chosen and should be this one its a very interesting book/movie.

Thanks!

Sincerley, Courtney miller
She_Who_Writes
Jul 10, 2015 She_Who_Writes rated it it was ok
I have never watched the movie for bambi so I was reading this book without any triggers alerting me throughout. Didn't enjoy it that much but found some areas okay to read, I just see disney as somewhat unrealistic which I guess because it isn't aimed at my age group is done on purpose.
Lyra  Goga
Sep 20, 2014 Lyra Goga rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember that my mom read this to me. I was young so I just listened to the story and enjoyed the beautiful illustrations. I got so sad when the young deer lost his mother to a hunter and honestly I don’t really remember what else happened; I just know that I really loved it.
Diane
Aug 23, 2014 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good reduction of the movie. Bambi's mother's death is a bit cryptic, but perhaps that's just as ell. I remember being terrorized by the movie when I saw it at age six. I'm interested in finding the original written by Felix Salten, if it's available.
Jenny williams
Dec 03, 2012 Jenny williams rated it it was amazing
Unfortunately I saw the movie as a child well before I read the book and I have to say the movie was a lot more interesting to me. I'm not sure if it was because Walt Disney published the book of Bambi just because the movie has always been such a classic or what but this book was not very well put together. I refute that Bambi will always be a good tale for children as well as a wonderful movie for the whole family to enjoy. I guess I'm just frustrated because a book like this should have been ...more
April Washington
Nov 26, 2011 April Washington rated it really liked it
Bambi made me remember parenthood and how my mom was a great mother. How loving and caring the animals was with each other. How the world really isn't this way. I try to teach my daughter that children don't actually act like this and you can't make them. Remember life isn't a fairy tale. You can only be nice yourself but in the end you might get hurt and loose your way. Like Bambi he lost his mother but was not alone. He had good friends. Life as we know will not be like that but with God it wi ...more
Brittiny
Jul 15, 2015 Brittiny rated it really liked it
This book is a classic. It is about Bambi and his struggle of a life growing up. It goes through the friends he makes and how they help him become mature. I like this book for the most part. Bambi just isn't my favorite, and I am not sure why. If I was to teach this book, I would look at the page turns. How the page turns enhance the story line/ the intensity.
Sarah Dziobak
Sep 17, 2013 Sarah Dziobak rated it liked it
In Walt Disney's Bambi, it is a sad story about a young deer who loses his mother to a hunter. He learms that when a old stag comes along and tells Bambi that he must learn how to survive on his own. Bambi makes friends with other forest animals, and once he's older the same old swag came to tell him that their was a forest fire. After the next year the forest was almost fully grown and Bambi watched from the hill top as the new prince of the forest. The moral of the story is that even though ba ...more
Atishay
Jan 17, 2009 Atishay rated it really liked it
I first saw the Walt Disney version of the classic when I was five or six. And till this date, I love this book and the movie. Simply written with the flair for touching your hearts, this book narrates the story of Bambi, a young fawn born to The Great Prince of the forest. It goes on to describe the events that happen in his life, the tragedies and the corner stones, the way he climbs out of his sorrows and eventually, takes over as the Great Prince himself. A charming yet deep rooted story, a ...more
Sierraprice
May 04, 2015 Sierraprice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I also loved reading this book as a child. I loved the movie too.
Ericka
This is a great book for coming of age and about family. Bambi goes through all the stages of life that children will go through. Can discuss with the children what they would like to do when they get a little older (1 yr or 2 yr...etc) talk about their families and what their parents or other family members help them with when need it.
Sinisiipi
Mar 10, 2016 Sinisiipi rated it it was amazing
Lapsuuden ihania kirjoja joka vieläkin koskettaa <3
Jennie
Aug 31, 2015 Jennie rated it liked it
Too wordy for small children, okay for older ones
Tameka
Oct 09, 2014 Tameka rated it really liked it
I balled my eyes out when Bambi's mother died.
Tawnya Ward
Apr 22, 2015 Tawnya Ward rated it it was amazing
Nice little classic to read to the children.
Eric
Apr 23, 2013 Eric rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens
As a story, this book is merely a dull retelling of the classic film. However, as a parent, this book is interminably long, with huge blocks of text and no pictures. Reading it aloud is absolutely a huge undertaking, especially to a toddler. Which might not be such a bad thing once, or even twice, but upon the 50th retelling of the book, it is an enormous drag on emotional resources.

If I were a mean parent I would simply hide this book from my daughter until she reached the age where she could r
HeavyReader
This book is based on the Disney movie. Boring!

But maybe there is no real Bambi book. Maybe Bambie only exists as a Disney movie and all the merchandising knock-offs spawned from the movie.

Anyway, in my immediate family, my sister as a little kid is known for crying in the movie theater when Bambi's mother died. Or maybe not. Maybe she cried at the Rescuers. Well, if she did cry at the demise of Bambi's mom, who could blame her? That's sad stuff.
Stephanie
Nov 02, 2011 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
I decided to read this book becuase its a great book and its one of my faves this book compeletes the "written before i was born" category (orignally published in 1970's) i liked that bambi is soooo cuuutee and she has lots of little forest friends ! i dislike that bambis mum got shot and she was left alone ! i recomend this to 5-10 yr olds i must say i am a big kid soo i love it ! its a great bed time story :)

looovee steph
Julie
Apr 09, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Bambi! It is a lovely tale of forest creatures. What I liked about this book was it was completely happy. There were no hunters or fires. I think children would like this story better than the movie because they like happy stories unlike the movie. This unforgettable moment happens where you see the baby dear grow up and it is like just a child. I think teachers could learna a lot from this book about diversity and development.
Kelly
Feb 20, 2014 Kelly rated it it was ok
Shelves: conrad
Bambi (the Disney version; not sure if there is another) is a kind of lame hierarchical forest critter story with a lot of character names choking up an already condensed children's book. The illustrations look just like the Disney movie. Conrad and I both enjoyed the forest critters, but Bambi ultimately failed to instill a fear of Man or a cohesive alternative world.
Lisa
Dec 02, 2008 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
Beli buku ini second di Sunday Market, tapi belum ada cacat/rusak sedikitpun. Tertarik sama gambar-gambar di dalamnya yang hidup dan full colour, selain itu ceritanya juga bagus tentang persahabatan. Kertasnya juga bagus, licin. Kalo beli baru di Jakarta pasti harganya diatas 30 ribu deh. Untungnya beli di sana cuma 40 pence, mgkn sktr Rp 7500. Lumayan buat calon anak nanti:))
Room 123
May 22, 2013 Room 123 rated it it was amazing
Bambi is a deer. Bambi has a friend. His name is Thumper. Thumper is a gray bunny. Bambi made a lot of new friends. Bambi's mom deer told Bambi that the forest is dangerous. Bambi found a big deer with big antlers. Soon Bambi's mom deer died. Bambi was sad. Then it was spring, Bambi grew up. Go to the local library and get this book! By Ruby
Robert
Nov 09, 2014 Robert rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Robert by: Patty Phillips
Shelves: animals, fiction, deer, donated
The story of Bambi. It's okay. It has been a while since I saw the movie, so I am not certain it is true to that. Mother did die. I was wondering if that would be in this. Somehow I thought Bambi had been a girl, but I gather not. Yes, it's been a few decades. ;)

Easy enough book of a familiar tale, but nothing spectacular.
  • Walt Disney's Peter Pan (Disney Peter Pan)
  • Lady and the Tramp (Disney: a Little Golden Book)
  • The Little Mermaid
  • The Lion King: A little Golden Book
  • Peter Pan (A Little Golden Book)
  • Sleeping Beauty (Disney Princess, 5)
  • Frosty the Snowman (Frosty the Snowman)
  • The Three Little Pigs (a Little Golden Book)
  • Winnie The Pooh And The Honey Tree (Little Golden Book)
  • The Three Bears
  • Tawny Scrawny Lion
  • The Country Mouse and the City Mouse; The Fox and the Crow; The Dog and His Bone
  • Baby Animals (A Little Golden Book)
  • Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
  • Three Little Kittens
  • My Big Little Golden Book About God (a Big Little Golden Book)
  • Scuffy the Tugboat (Big Little Golden Book)
  • The Honey Tree (Little Golden Book)
Note: The decision was made to consolidate all Disney publications under the name Walt Disney Company. This profile is for Walt Disney, the characters he created, and the company he founded. Any questions, please ask in the Librarian's Group.

Walter Elias "Walt" Disney (December 5, 1901 – December 15, 1966) was an American film producer, director, screenwriter, voice actor, animator, entrepreneur,
More about Walt Disney Company...

Walt Disney Classics (2 books)
  • Robin Hood (Disney's Classic Storybook)