The Mystery of the 99 Steps

The Mystery of the 99 Steps (Nancy Drew #43)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  4,687 ratings  ·  87 reviews
Despite warnings from a stranger, eighteen-year-old Nancy Drew and her friends set out for France to search for a flight of 99 steps that may help solve the mystery of a friend's strange dream and a possible case of blackmail.
Published December 1st 1965 by Grosset & Dunlap

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery of the 99 Steps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystery of the 99 Steps

John Yelverton
Yet another great addition to the Nancy Drew mystery book series.
Dydionline
I honestly love these books I just wished they were more detailed. I don't like how the author over reacts and adds !!!!! every time somthing "dramatic" happens. The plots ok but it ain't no match for teen fiction. I wish I knew more on Nancy's personal life and I wish there was a little more questioning suspects and a little less constantly reporting to the police. I don't really like that part it gets annoying. I like the characters (I don't LOVE them but what can you do?) but over all I wish...more
Phe☽♃
The Mystery of the 99 Steps is a children's story by Carolyn Keene (pseudonym) and the 43rd book in the Nancy Drew series.

I’ve always been a voracious reader. So, as a child, one of my favorite things about summer was the frequent trips to our local library, which was le...more
Lady Knight
I loved the Nancy Drew books as a kid. I voraciously read every one I could get my hands on. Reading this now, I'm struck by several things (some of which other reviewers have also pointed out):

1. The stereotypical characters
Every character is a 'type' to a tee. We've got the perfect one, the uber supportive parent, the impulsive tomboy, the part-of-the-family hired help, the fat friend, etc. When you're a kid you may not notice it, but as an adult you keep looking for flaws beyond the obvious a...more
Stephen Winchell
Minor spoilers ahead.

In reading old children's mystery/action/suspense books, I'm finding myself running into many similar "types". There's the supportive parent (usually the father), the comic relief, working class family member (a housekeeper, a cook, etc), etc etc etc. Out of the three big titles I've been reading (Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, and Tom Swift Jr), Nancy Drew has these types down to a science, and this book really highlights the weaknesses of writing with them.

We'll start with George...more
Brenda
I didn't enjoy this one as much as the other books I have read and the main reason for it would be tag-along helpers known as George and Bess. I mean I am all for her getting help from time to time, but the extra girls just ruined it for me, I mean they really served no purpose and slowed Nancy down.
This book starts with a dream from some lady, who is having nightmares about 99 steps, so Nancy believes finding these steps will help the lady stop having the dream. Only thing is, Nancy will have...more
LuAnn
I've always enjoyed the Nancy Drew travel mysteries because they introduce me to new places, though running around Versailles and quickly finding a character unconscious on Louis XIV's bed stretches the imagination more than these books usually do! The interior illustrations are nicely done. I like that the mystery was initiated by a dream, though the mystery itself is just ok.
Kenzie
The mystery of the 99 steps is a very intreging book. Carolyn Keene is a fabulos writer she can really get you hooked in to her wounderous novel series Nancy Drew I have read many of her eye popping storys.She can write those special books you just can't put down.
The book is about the keen young adult Nancy Drew in a misson to solve the storys riddles she has to help a poor gentelman who was tricked in to giving money to a mad man. Will Nancy ever help the man? In this case with so little info...more
Christy
I read this book with 7th grade student, and she loved it! Nancy Drew and her friends, Bess and George, find themselves on another mystery case, this time taking them to France. Nancy and her father both have mysteries to solve, but could their cases be connected? Nancy soon realizes that she is being watched; how long can she escape danger?

The text of this book provides great opportunity to learn new vocabulary--even a little French. This particular Nancy Drew mystery might be considered more c...more
Artin Hakobyan
The Mystery of the 99 Steps by Carolyn Keene is about girl on a search for the flight of 99 steps to solve her friend’s dream, which takes her to France. On the other hand, before she leaves, a strange person named Monsieur Neuf tells the girl not to do the mission. I chose this book because when i first saw the cover of the book, I thought that it is a book filled with adventure just because of the cover and the title. “Earlier today we noticed that on the 99th step of the stairway from L’Orang...more
Kaethe
Not as great as The 39 Steps, but more appropriate for younger readers
Laura Bang
Even if I mostly laugh at the ridiculousness/implausibility of it now, I still love spending an afternoon with the Drew girl.

This one finds Nancy, Mr. Drew, Bess, and George in France and it was especially hilarious to read the occasional sentence or two squeezed in to describe their museum & cultural heritage stops. Like, two sentences for the Louvre, where there were no crowds impeding their view of the Mona Lisa. But mostly they are too busy solving two ridiculous mysteries to be distract...more
Grace
I used to love the Nancy Drew books when I was younger, but they just don't cut the cake anymore.
Carobe
Kitty och mysteriet med de 99 stegen.
Kimberly
Jul 25, 2010 Kimberly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any Nancy Drew fanatic
REALLY REALLY TRULY TRULY HONESTLY HONESTLY SO-SO MUCH SO-SO MUCH LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome Nancy Drew book! Don't I just give out five stars - if you read my other reviews you'll know that. This is like the what, sixth or seventh book I've give...more
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
I remember the first time I read Nancy Drew. It blew my mind that there were girls presented with a brain. Most of the stuff I'd read up to that time, was that girls were sugar and spice - fluffy. No brains. To also learn about George who is a tomboy was a nice validation. Carolyn Keene wrote just for me! That is how I felt. When I did more research, I was shocked to find out, Ms. Keene was actually a man ... writing under Frank Dixon. I also loved the Hardy Boys. No wonder I loved these series.
Hannah
Jul 18, 2008 Hannah rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like mysteries
I liked this book because it has a tone of french words in this book. What I liked most about the book is that if you like to read but don't have as much time then this book is short and is such an awsome book. so if you have NEVER read a Nancy Drew then here is a great chance to read one because this one is so great. Also this book made me feel like I was in the story and I was getting to be in france. So if you like feeling like your in the story then so read this awsome book!
Rachel Brand
I recently recieved a whole load of books back from a young friend of mine, ranging from Babysitters Club books to rather battered Nancy Drew novels. This was one of them, but apparently I'd leant this book out unread! I'm glad I got it back as it was a really cute little book which I enjoyed. I'm now trying to get some more Nancy Drew books and build up a little collection as I'm sure that when I have daughters, they'll enjoy them just as much as I did. 9/10
Mary Charn
Oh! This is my book report in ENGLISH ;))))
Julian
An old troubling dream came back to poor Mrs. Blair. Falling down 99 steps is quite a scare. Nancy, George, and Bess go off to help Nancy's father with the case of the frightened financier only to find that it's connected to Mrs. Blair's dream.

This book holds true to the Nancy Drew tradition. For once, Nancy isn't captured (instead a shepard's hook gets George) and Bess is being Bess.

Elle G
I liked this book of the series. It was full of action and suspense. It takes place in Paris so the characters told you a lot about history. I talked about the history of Paris and the other tourist attractions. I got a little bored. After a while it seemed like I was reading a history book! It was not my favorite book of Carolyn Keene’s, but I did enjoy reading it after the history lesson!
Bethany Vincent
I grew up reading all of the Nancy Drew books so reading this book again was good for helping me remember why I liked these books. The Mystery of the 99 Steps was always one of my favorite of the Nancy Drew books because I liked that Nancy traveled to France for this story. I think that the mystery and the travel involved in this book made it one of the better Nancy Drew books.
Montanamarynotmartha
I loved this story! I loved the car in it, the mystery and Nancy's plucky nature to get out of a tight spot. I also love the way this is written. I like to read these books because it helps me brush up on sentence structure as it was before dialogue became shortened and filled with slang. It fascinates me when I think of who Carolyn Keene really was.
Stephen
I have to be impressed by a book that is this good - and is NUMBER 43 in the series. Nancy Drew really is awesome! Sightseeing in France, conspiratorial alchemy, strange dreams about a long staircase, lots of historical references (including Joan of Arc), and really cool cover art make this adventure stand out.

Josie Ireland
I love this book, it's possibly my favourite of all the books and one of the first ones I read. Yes, it gave me the creeps the first night after I had finished it, but it is still an INCREDIBLE book. I highly recommend it to Agatha Christie fans because it is in fact very puzzling if you try to work it out yourself and there are a few twists. Read it!
Mary Lou Moench
When I was about 10 or 11, my mother signed me up for a book of the month club. Every month, I received two Nancy Drew or two Hardy Boys books. Every month, they were both read in a week and I was asking when the next book would be there!
I thank my mother for recognizing and encouraging my love of reading.
Terah
this one was alright...It kinda dragged at points and I wasn't really identifying with it...it was more of a learning experience than anything else....let's see how many facts we can put into a Nancy Drew book about France...I even learned about Joan of Arc...all in all it gets a "meh"
Celeste
I read a few Nancy Drew and this was one of the one I remember really enjoying. To me she couldn't hold a candle to the Bobbsey Twins, but I did enjoy several of the series, and what did I know Nancy is still around whereas, most people don't even remember the Bobbsy Twins.
Jenny
After my mom told me she loved these growing up, I thought I'd give them a try and couldn't stop. I found a bunch at a garage sale a couple weeks ago and haven't been able to stop again... my favorite is this one, but they're all great.
Maddie
Dec 16, 2013 Maddie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Maddie by: one of my teachers
Very interesting.
There was some of french in it so it was difficult for me to read.
Its like a normal Nancy Drew book I believe, but yet, I haven't read them all! But its a mystery and fun to follow along with!
I really liked it!(:
  • The Yellow Feather Mystery (Hardy Boys, #33)
  • The Red Trailer Mystery (Trixie Belden, #2)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str...more
More about Carolyn Keene...
The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1) The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew, #2) Nancy Drew: #1-64 The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3) The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew, #4)