Start by marking “The Mystery of the 99 Steps” as Want to Read:
The Mystery of the 99 Steps

The Mystery of the 99 Steps (Nancy Drew #43)

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  5,608 Ratings  ·  120 Reviews
For cliffhanging suspense and thrilling action read THE NANCY DREW MYSTERY STORIES-the worlds most popular mystery series for young readers! Millions of fans have matched wits with Nancy Drew, helping her solve more than fifty baffling cases.
Published December 1st 1965 by Grosset & Dunlap

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery of the 99 Steps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystery of the 99 Steps

Namratha
She is not as finicky as Poirot and nor is she as condescending as Sherlock. But just like her fellow detectives, she has a fine brain under her well-coiffed locks and will always hold a special place in my long-buried girlish heart. When I came across an ancient, dog-eared, much-doodled Nancy Drew mystery at my library, I couldn’t resist picking it up.

In The Mystery of the 99 Steps , Nancy Drew is working on a dual case with her father, eminent lawyer Carson Drew. A lady called Mrs. Josette B
Mary Lou Hoffman
When I was about 10 or 11, my mother signed me up for a book of the month club. Every month, I received two Nancy Drew or two Hardy Boys books. Every month, they were both read in a week and I was asking when the next book would be there!
I thank my mother for recognizing and encouraging my love of reading.
John Yelverton
Sep 25, 2011 John Yelverton rated it it was amazing
Yet another great addition to the Nancy Drew mystery book series.
Aarathi
Jan 13, 2017 Aarathi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome exciting gripping novel with lots of twists and turns....as usual Nancy gets the better of the evil people and succeeds
Stephen Winchell
Minor spoilers ahead.

In reading old children's mystery/action/suspense books, I'm finding myself running into many similar "types". There's the supportive parent (usually the father), the comic relief, working class family member (a housekeeper, a cook, etc), etc etc etc. Out of the three big titles I've been reading (Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, and Tom Swift Jr), Nancy Drew has these types down to a science, and this book really highlights the weaknesses of writing with them.

We'll start with George
Lady Knight
I loved the Nancy Drew books as a kid. I voraciously read every one I could get my hands on. Reading this now, I'm struck by several things (some of which other reviewers have also pointed out):

1. The stereotypical characters
Every character is a 'type' to a tee. We've got the perfect one, the uber supportive parent, the impulsive tomboy, the part-of-the-family hired help, the fat friend, etc. When you're a kid you may not notice it, but as an adult you keep looking for flaws beyond the obvious a
Jocelyn
Apr 04, 2016 Jocelyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Mystery of the 99 Steps is about Nancy Drew, Carson Drew (her father), and George (or Georgia) and Bess (best friends).

Nancy hears about a dream from a woman who lives in River Heights and goes to France with her best friends. While Nancy is searching for 99 steps from her friends dream she notices that one of the people she sees at a party is actually a man in disguise.

Nancy tries to figure out who the man is but can't figure out more than the fact that he has a twin brother in River Heig
Phe
Jan 29, 2015 Phe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Mystery of the 99 Steps is a children's story by Carolyn Keene (pseudonym) and the 43rd book in the Nancy Drew series.

Despite warnings from a stranger, eighteen-year-old Nancy Drew and her friends set out for France to search for a flight of 99 steps that may help solve the mystery of a friend's strange dream and a possible case of blackmail.

I’ve always been a voracious reader. So, as a child, one of my favorite things about summer was the frequent trips to our local library, which was
Sarah Crawford
The story involves the ancient practice of alchemy, and the equally ancient practice of cheating people out of their money. In this case Nancy, George and Bess go to France to work with Mr. Drew who is trying to convince a financier to stop selling all his assets.

A woman Nancy knows has nightmares of falling down a long flight of stairs. As happens every so often, someone tries to stop Nancy from going to France by sending her a message. Even once in France someone tries to stop her and seems q
Brenda
Feb 25, 2013 Brenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't enjoy this one as much as the other books I have read and the main reason for it would be tag-along helpers known as George and Bess. I mean I am all for her getting help from time to time, but the extra girls just ruined it for me, I mean they really served no purpose and slowed Nancy down.
This book starts with a dream from some lady, who is having nightmares about 99 steps, so Nancy believes finding these steps will help the lady stop having the dream. Only thing is, Nancy will have
Laura Ellison
I enjoyed the fact that Nancy got to go to France with her friends Bess and George and take on some seriously sinister characters, but I'm not sure I really bought the ending of the book. Without giving away spoilers let's just say that from the start you could tell that a financier was being hoodwinked in some way. When that way came to light, I just didn't feel like it was plausible. I mean, if a guy is smart enough to make it take far in business, I don't think he would fall for something tha ...more
Melanie
Nancy et ses amies vont a la France! And bien sur, they all speak French, because who doesn't? They go because some neighbor of Nancy's has a DREAM about 99 steps and so of course she freaks out and has Nancy go and investigate. I have recurrent dreams about the inability to open combination locks. Please help me, Nancy.

Anyway, Carson is helping a totally different client with an actual case in Paris at the same time, but apparently it has to do with this woman's dream. Creepy. And there are twi
Christy
Dec 01, 2009 Christy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book with 7th grade student, and she loved it! Nancy Drew and her friends, Bess and George, find themselves on another mystery case, this time taking them to France. Nancy and her father both have mysteries to solve, but could their cases be connected? Nancy soon realizes that she is being watched; how long can she escape danger?

The text of this book provides great opportunity to learn new vocabulary--even a little French. This particular Nancy Drew mystery might be considered more c
Kenzie
Jan 19, 2010 Kenzie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The mystery of the 99 steps is a very intreging book. Carolyn Keene is a fabulos writer she can really get you hooked in to her wounderous novel series Nancy Drew I have read many of her eye popping storys.She can write those special books you just can't put down.
The book is about the keen young adult Nancy Drew in a misson to solve the storys riddles she has to help a poor gentelman who was tricked in to giving money to a mad man. Will Nancy ever help the man? In this case with so little info
LobsterQuadrille
Jan 16, 2016 LobsterQuadrille rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of good old Nancy Drew

This isn't my personal favorite of the Nancy Drew series, but it's a perfectly competent addition to the series, and still holds up as a light page-turner of a mystery. The characters are still in good form, and though the mystery plotline isn't always wholly believable, I still enjoyed the experience.
The Mystery of the 99 Steps is an engaging and intelligent mystery story with some nice creativity to its storyline, and though there is still a certain degree of predictability(serious
Stephanie
Jun 06, 2015 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, children
The origin of this mystery was a little weird -to put it mildly but eventually I would say it got more interesting. I loved that it was set in France, and remember that it was a bit of a surprise as I wasn't expecting that, and since I'm lover of all (if not most) things French that didn't hurt one bit.

The story was quite delightful but a bit hard to keep up with, it kind of felt like a wild goose chase sometimes with Nancy flitting from one place to another and there were parts I had to re-read
Artin Hakobyan
Jan 23, 2012 Artin Hakobyan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Mystery of the 99 Steps by Carolyn Keene is about girl on a search for the flight of 99 steps to solve her friend’s dream, which takes her to France. On the other hand, before she leaves, a strange person named Monsieur Neuf tells the girl not to do the mission. I chose this book because when i first saw the cover of the book, I thought that it is a book filled with adventure just because of the cover and the title. “Earlier today we noticed that on the 99th step of the stairway from L’Orang ...more
Ingrid Hardy
Jul 15, 2015 Ingrid Hardy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, series, mystery
Because of a Goodreads friend adding these books, it reminded me that I'd forgotten about them. How could I!! It's because of Nancy Drew, The Hardy Boys, and Andre Norton's Witch World series that I fell in love with fiction. (And Jack London's White Fang, and the Book Black Beauty, which made me cry).

These are dated tales, but they did the job for their time. Having a female lead was rather progressive for the day, even if many situations would cause a mutiny now... lol. What can I say, as a 12
Laura Bang
Even if I mostly laugh at the ridiculousness/implausibility of it now, I still love spending an afternoon with the Drew girl.

This one finds Nancy, Mr. Drew, Bess, and George in France and it was especially hilarious to read the occasional sentence or two squeezed in to describe their museum & cultural heritage stops. Like, two sentences for the Louvre, where there were no crowds impeding their view of the Mona Lisa. But mostly they are too busy solving two ridiculous mysteries to be distract
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I remember the first time I read Nancy Drew. It blew my mind that there were girls presented with a brain. Most of the stuff I'd read up to that time, was that girls were sugar and spice - fluffy. No brains. To also learn about George who is a tomboy was a nice validation. Carolyn Keene wrote just for me! That is how I felt. When I did more research, I was shocked to find out, Ms. Keene was actually a man ... writing under Frank Dixon. I also loved the Hardy Boys. No wonder I loved these series.
Dydionline
I honestly love these books I just wished they were more detailed. I don't like how the author over reacts and adds !!!!! every time somthing "dramatic" happens. The plots ok but it ain't no match for teen fiction. I wish I knew more on Nancy's personal life and I wish there was a little more questioning suspects and a little less constantly reporting to the police. I don't really like that part it gets annoying. I like the characters (I don't LOVE them but what can you do?) but over all I wish ...more
Hannah
Jul 18, 2008 Hannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like mysteries
I liked this book because it has a tone of french words in this book. What I liked most about the book is that if you like to read but don't have as much time then this book is short and is such an awsome book. so if you have NEVER read a Nancy Drew then here is a great chance to read one because this one is so great. Also this book made me feel like I was in the story and I was getting to be in france. So if you like feeling like your in the story then so read this awsome book!
Rachel Brand
I recently recieved a whole load of books back from a young friend of mine, ranging from Babysitters Club books to rather battered Nancy Drew novels. This was one of them, but apparently I'd leant this book out unread! I'm glad I got it back as it was a really cute little book which I enjoyed. I'm now trying to get some more Nancy Drew books and build up a little collection as I'm sure that when I have daughters, they'll enjoy them just as much as I did. 9/10
Julian
An old troubling dream came back to poor Mrs. Blair. Falling down 99 steps is quite a scare. Nancy, George, and Bess go off to help Nancy's father with the case of the frightened financier only to find that it's connected to Mrs. Blair's dream.

This book holds true to the Nancy Drew tradition. For once, Nancy isn't captured (instead a shepard's hook gets George) and Bess is being Bess.

Angie
Jan 10, 2015 Angie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys is where my love of reading began. My mom bought me one of these books every couple of weeks and I loved them. I found this book at a book clearance for a library and I just had to buy it. It still was just as much fun to read now as it was when I was kid. My only regret is that I did not keep the books, I gave them away to my cousins when I was older.
Josie Ireland
Aug 14, 2013 Josie Ireland rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book, it's possibly my favourite of all the books and one of the first ones I read. Yes, it gave me the creeps the first night after I had finished it, but it is still an INCREDIBLE book. I highly recommend it to Agatha Christie fans because it is in fact very puzzling if you try to work it out yourself and there are a few twists. Read it!
LuAnn
Jan 01, 2015 LuAnn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always enjoyed the Nancy Drew travel mysteries because they introduce me to new places, though running around Versailles and quickly finding a character unconscious on Louis XIV's bed stretches the imagination more than these books usually do! The interior illustrations are nicely done. I like that the mystery was initiated by a dream, though the mystery itself is just ok.
Leah
Dec 28, 2014 Leah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, young-adult
I loved this story! I loved the car in it, the mystery and Nancy's plucky nature to get out of a tight spot. I also love the way this is written. I like to read these books because it helps me brush up on sentence structure as it was before dialogue became shortened and filled with slang. It fascinates me when I think of who Carolyn Keene really was.
Stephen
Feb 08, 2013 Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to be impressed by a book that is this good - and is NUMBER 43 in the series. Nancy Drew really is awesome! Sightseeing in France, conspiratorial alchemy, strange dreams about a long staircase, lots of historical references (including Joan of Arc), and really cool cover art make this adventure stand out.

Elle G
Dec 21, 2010 Elle G rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book of the series. It was full of action and suspense. It takes place in Paris so the characters told you a lot about history. I talked about the history of Paris and the other tourist attractions. I got a little bored. After a while it seemed like I was reading a history book! It was not my favorite book of Carolyn Keene’s, but I did enjoy reading it after the history lesson!
  • The Mysterious Visitor (Trixie Belden, #4)
  • The Yellow Feather Mystery (Hardy Boys, #33)
  • Trixie Belden and the Hudson River Mystery (Trixie Belden, #28)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str
More about Carolyn Keene...

Nancy Drew (1 - 10 of 175 books)
  • The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew #2)
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3)
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew, #4)
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew, #5)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew, #6)
  • The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew, #7)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew, #8)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew, #9)
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew, #10)