Start by marking “Jezebel” as Want to Read:
Jezebel

Jezebel (Jezebel #1)

The biblical story reworked as a ?cunning?("RAWSISTAZ Reviewers") contemporary romance of sin and salvation?from the "Essence" bestselling author.
Small town Georgia girl Jessie Belle just met her ticket out of town: a trusting pastor starting a prosperous church in South Carolina. Seduced by the riches that come with position and power, Jessie uses her wiles to move her u
Published March 1st 2008 by New American Library (first published January 1st 2008)

Katrina Burchett
All Traynor Deveraux wanted to do was live his life for the Lord and preach the Gospel, but his wife, Jessie Belle's , sights were set on him making a name for himself. She wanted the mega church, the Christian radio station, the big house, expensive jewelry, luxury cars, high-priced designer clothes, etc., and she would stop at nothing to get them. She gave the appearance of a dutiful, loving first lady of the church, but appearances can be deceiving.
Jessie Belle used manipulation, threats &am
Marva
Jun 03, 2011 Marva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
pretty good read..a story from the bible that was turned into a novel that deals with modern day issues..it's entertaining and non-threatening.
Michael
May 13, 2016 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
Shelves: grace-gospel
Jessie Belle has lived a promiscuous life for a long time, even at her young age. Countless of times, she has been warned not to use sex as an advantage but to save herself for a godly man. Dismissing her mother thoughts, Jessie feels justified in doing what she wants to do. If men cannot control their appetite for sex, it is not her business. Knowing how to get even the strongest to submit to her beautiful features, settling down is the furthest thing on her mind. Living with her aging Father w ...more
Nardsbaby Reader
Salvation

Jessie Bell Holt's agenda at eighteen was simple, she wanted out of the small town of Mayville, Georgia. Luckily for her, fate was on the same path. Pastor Traynor Deveraux Jr. was sent to Mayville, Georgia, in place of his ill father to preach. Unable to fight the growing attraction, Traynor is counting this as a beautiful blessing. Jessie Bell considers this the opportunity of a lifetime.

With high expectations and plans to live an abundant and fulfilling life, Jessie Bell is disappoi
Corinne
Feb 28, 2009 Corinne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
omg this book was so good, that it made me want to read about jezebel in the bible. I mean jessie belle holt would stop a nothing to get what she wanted, this book had me going oh no she didn't out loud, surprisingly i was saddened at the end, but knew it had to be that way. i was a fan of ms thomas books before she stared writing christian fiction and i will admit that i was hesistant to read her new style of writing, boy am i glad i read this book.
Iisha
Sep 11, 2008 Iisha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story of Jezebel in the bible deals with a religious woman who was smart, deceitful and manipulative and she used her ways to get what she wanted at the expense of others. God deemed there was no redemption for Jezebel and she would befall a terrible death because of all the wrong she did. Jacquelin Thomas takes this bible story and reworks it for modern times and her character is just as cunning as the bible told. JEZEBEL is made modern which makes it is understandable and tangible for even ...more
Adrienna
This is the first time I read this author's work and heard so many raving reviews about her in the past. It opens about Jessie Bell (aka Jezebel) Holt who is laying in the hospital after a dreadful fall from the balcony, which nurse Helen thought she was a great woman but Jessie feels lead to share her story when it all began to her horrible demise. In the next few chapters, the reader gets an idea that Jessie is willing to use her beauty and goodies to get what she wants but always doesn't go a ...more
Shavonna Futrell
Sep 20, 2015 Shavonna Futrell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has been sitting on my shelf since 2008 when it was released, it was given to me and I just stuck it on the shelf in my to be read pile, I pulled it down to read due to our book club will be reading Jezebel's Daughter for our October book. I am so mad I waited so long. This was a very good book. Jessie Bell Holt went though great lengths to get what she felt like she deserved even it meant blackmail, scheming , flirting and lying. The bible says you reap what you sow, but I believe Jes ...more
Mahoghani 23
Jessie Bell, "Jezebel", was a very ruthless woman who was not used to anyone telling her no. From manipulation to running a prostitute ring was truly not the style of a First Lady married to a minister but that was Jessie Bell. Her demise started when she deceived the man she married and continued to build through all her antics. I hate what happened in the end but understood why. I'm so happy she redeemed herself to the Lord.
Lathanette
Dec 02, 2015 Lathanette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG!! This was one of the best Christian books I have ever read. I read a lot of different books Christian, Urban, ect. this book was so good. It really makes you take a good look at yourself. Grat job Jacquelin Thomas. I enjoyed every page.
Dorothea
Jun 01, 2008 Dorothea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book. Reading Jacquelin's books is like being at Bible Study. She's a great teacher. :)

HappyRuth
Sep 30, 2016 HappyRuth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jesse bell, was indeed a Jezebel. The book was excellent. When I got to the end I had tears in my eyes.
Shone
Jul 22, 2010 Shone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes
Loosely basednoin the seory of Jezebel in 1st and 2nd Kings. A story of blackmaul, decit, and lies, but finding Gods peace and forgiveness in the end.
Janice Beauchamp
Sep 25, 2011 Janice Beauchamp rated it it was amazing
Contemporary and reminds you evil does not win in the end (there is goodness in all) just takes awhile from some.
Carmen Glenn
Mar 28, 2013 Carmen Glenn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The main character Jessie Belle reminded me of Phaedra on the Atlanta Housewives series-sneaky and devious!
Miss Trini
Entertaining without being too preachy...
Nicole
Mar 01, 2009 Nicole rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Good concept, horrible, horrible writing style.
Angie Riddick
May 29, 2015 Angie Riddick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
good book shared the ups and down of Jezebel journey. I was surprised at the ending of the story
Vetta
Mar 31, 2009 Vetta rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's an ok book, it's not boring but it is not a page turner either.
Tracy Darity
Jezebel, by Jacquelin Thomas is a contemporary look at a popular biblical story, detailed in I and II Kings. In Thomas’s story, 18 year-old Jessie Belle Holt, who has an unexplainable, mesmerizing power over men, sets her sights and prowess on a young minister who fills in for his ailing father at a small town revival. Traynor Deveraux, is a true man of God, but falls for Jessie Bell, quick and hard. The two marry and set-off for their new life together in Atlanta.

If you are familiar with the bi
Mari
Dec 25, 2012 Mari rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book by accident. It was a couple of dollars at a book store, and considering my book hoarding instincts, I immediately picked it up (along with several others) and bought it. I generally am not a fan of Christian, or any form or relgious literature. My view is that the Bible has all the fictitious stories these authors write about in one place, so why not just read them there?

The tale of Jezebel was not one I was particularly knowledgable about, so the story itself was not one that
Maurice Jr.
Jun 18, 2016 Maurice Jr. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read! I enjoyed reading the exploits of this modern day Jezebel, and how her story mirrored that in the Bible well, yet left room for a modern twist.

Jessie Belle Holt learned young how to manipulate men and women alike and put her lessons into practice. When she met the Rev. Traynor Deveraux, she felt like she hit the jackpot. She knew she found a man whom she could love, but also whom she felt she could manipulate into the man she wanted to be married to.

It was both sad and compellin
Stephanie
Aug 10, 2011 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So far Jezebel is not so bad I'm not in the middle of the book yet but one things for sure she definitely gets what she wants.

Ok this book started off a little slow but Jesse Belle is more like a nuisance then a Jezebel she has some wrong ways but so far not to bad we'll see I'm in the middle of the book. :)

After reading this book I have to give it five stars because of the message. The message was a good one. Jesse Belle had some Jezebel ways but they couldve been worse in the end the seem to g
Cryssy Dee
May 07, 2016 Cryssy Dee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG!! I missed TV shows, stayed up way too late, and halfway worked during the day to finish this book. My feelings for Jessie Belle changed often throughout her story. I saw her determination to live a better life but also understood that she was raised by her mother to use trickery as a form to secure a false sense of stability. Her desire to control those around her only amplified her lack of ability to control herself. As much as she tried to do good, she could only do what she had been brou ...more
Alicia
Oct 08, 2013 Alicia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, it's so easy to identify the "Jezebel spirit" in so many women out there in society and in real life. I felt sorry for Jessie Belle, but her greed and lust for materialistic items led to her downfall. I cried for the ending, Jacquelin Thomas writes from the heart. Ienjoy reading her novels. I've also read "The ideal wife" and "Redemption" and enjoyed those too. Her characters are real, her stories are vivid and true to life and keeps the reader occupied throughout. I like that ...more
Diane Rembert
Jul 24, 2014 Diane Rembert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jessie Bell Holt is a young woman from a small town that will do anything to have her way. She meets and marries Traynor Devereaux and spirals into an abyss of deceit. She will stop at nothing to gain power and control the lives of those around her.

I learned so much from reading this book, and I could not put it down. The author has a wonderful,way of breaking down the characteristics of the spirit of Jezebel. I would recommend this book to anyone wanting to learn more and also get a great stor
Tamara Armour
May 08, 2014 Tamara Armour rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really good. It had a deep moral lesson that was real. The book starts off really slow but the writer does a good job by slowly building up climax in the book and taking the time to create a moral lesson that leaves its impression on readers years after reading the book. I can truly say I will never forget the book and need to re-read it again because the lesson was well printed on my brain.
LaCharmine Jefferson
This book really touched me in my spirit. Very well written. Jesse Belle was definitely a character. Her mothers character wasn't primary but her influence on Jesse was evident throughout. And one had to feel bad for Traynor because he closed his eyes to her shenanigans and didn't take the lead in his home. Boy, did he suffer the consequences along with his wife. I read this book faster than I've read any book in a long time. I'll be picking up Jezebel'l daughter next.
Sheila Peacock
Aug 14, 2014 Sheila Peacock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book reflected on the character of Jessie Bell. She was driven by her need to control and manipulate those she loved. Her deception caused her to jeopardize her marriage, family, and friends. Jessie Bell is associated with characteristics found in the Phoenician Queen of Israel, Jezebel. Jezebel reflected the spirit of manipulation. Jessie Bell experiences a tragedy in order to learn the true meaning of forgiveness and the love of God.
Tasha
Jun 14, 2010 Tasha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, this was a good book. I am a huge fan of Jacqueline Thomas, however I kept filling like there were gaps missing in this book. Some things did not "fit" together for me. But overall it was good. I would still recommend this book to others, especially people needing to learn about the Jezebel spirit. I love the many ways God offers to teach lessons to His children.
  • Can I Get a Witness?
  • Too Little, Too Late
  • Blessed Trinity
  • Second Sunday
  • My Soul Cries Out
  • Boaz Brown (Boaz Brown, #1)
Jacquelin Thomas is an award winning, best selling author with 50+ titles published. Her books have garnered several awards, including two EMMA awards, the Romance In Color Reviewers Award, Readers Choice Award and the Atlanta Choice Award in the Religious & Spiritual category. Jacquelin was a 2005 honoree at the Houston Black Film Festival for the movie adaptation of her novel, Hidden Blessin ...more
More about Jacquelin Thomas...

Jezebel (2 books)