Jezebel

Jezebel

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  537 ratings  ·  52 reviews
The biblical story reworked as a ?cunning?("RAWSISTAZ Reviewers") contemporary romance of sin and salvation?from the "Essence" bestselling author.
Small town Georgia girl Jessie Belle just met her ticket out of town: a trusting pastor starting a prosperous church in South Carolina. Seduced by the riches that come with position and power, Jessie uses her wiles to move her u...more
Published March 1st 2008 by New American Library (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Jezebel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jezebel

Katrina Burchett
All Traynor Deveraux wanted to do was live his life for the Lord and preach the Gospel, but his wife, Jessie Belle's , sights were set on him making a name for himself. She wanted the mega church, the Christian radio station, the big house, expensive jewelry, luxury cars, high-priced designer clothes, etc., and she would stop at nothing to get them. She gave the appearance of a dutiful, loving first lady of the church, but appearances can be deceiving.
Jessie Belle used manipulation, threats &...more
Nardsbaby Reader
Salvation

Jessie Bell Holt's agenda at eighteen was simple, she wanted out of the small town of Mayville, Georgia. Luckily for her, fate was on the same path. Pastor Traynor Deveraux Jr. was sent to Mayville, Georgia, in place of his ill father to preach. Unable to fight the growing attraction, Traynor is counting this as a beautiful blessing. Jessie Bell considers this the opportunity of a lifetime.

With high expectations and plans to live an abundant and fulfilling life, Jessie Bell is disappoi...more
Marva
pretty good read..a story from the bible that was turned into a novel that deals with modern day issues..it's entertaining and non-threatening.
Corinne
omg this book was so good, that it made me want to read about jezebel in the bible. I mean jessie belle holt would stop a nothing to get what she wanted, this book had me going oh no she didn't out loud, surprisingly i was saddened at the end, but knew it had to be that way. i was a fan of ms thomas books before she stared writing christian fiction and i will admit that i was hesistant to read her new style of writing, boy am i glad i read this book.
Dorothea
I really enjoyed reading this book. Reading Jacquelin's books is like being at Bible Study. She's a great teacher. :)

Vetta
It's an ok book, it's not boring but it is not a page turner either.
Miss Trini
Entertaining without being too preachy...
Nicole
Good concept, horrible, horrible writing style.
Adrienna
This is the first time I read this author's work and heard so many raving reviews about her in the past. It opens about Jessie Bell (aka Jezebel) Holt who is laying in the hospital after a dreadful fall from the balcony, which nurse Helen thought she was a great woman but Jessie feels lead to share her story when it all began to her horrible demise. In the next few chapters, the reader gets an idea that Jessie is willing to use her beauty and goodies to get what she wants but always doesn't go a...more
Tracy Darity
Jezebel, by Jacquelin Thomas is a contemporary look at a popular biblical story, detailed in I and II Kings. In Thomas’s story, 18 year-old Jessie Belle Holt, who has an unexplainable, mesmerizing power over men, sets her sights and prowess on a young minister who fills in for his ailing father at a small town revival. Traynor Deveraux, is a true man of God, but falls for Jessie Bell, quick and hard. The two marry and set-off for their new life together in Atlanta.

If you are familiar with the bi...more
Iisha
The story of Jezebel in the bible deals with a religious woman who was smart, deceitful and manipulative and she used her ways to get what she wanted at the expense of others. God deemed there was no redemption for Jezebel and she would befall a terrible death because of all the wrong she did. Jacquelin Thomas takes this bible story and reworks it for modern times and her character is just as cunning as the bible told. JEZEBEL is made modern which makes it is understandable and tangible for even...more
Mari
I read this book by accident. It was a couple of dollars at a book store, and considering my book hoarding instincts, I immediately picked it up (along with several others) and bought it. I generally am not a fan of Christian, or any form or relgious literature. My view is that the Bible has all the fictitious stories these authors write about in one place, so why not just read them there?

The tale of Jezebel was not one I was particularly knowledgable about, so the story itself was not one that...more
Tamara Armour
This book was really good. It had a deep moral lesson that was real. The book starts off really slow but the writer does a good job by slowly building up climax in the book and taking the time to create a moral lesson that leaves its impression on readers years after reading the book. I can truly say I will never forget the book and need to re-read it again because the lesson was well printed on my brain.
Stephanie
So far Jezebel is not so bad I'm not in the middle of the book yet but one things for sure she definitely gets what she wants.

Ok this book started off a little slow but Jesse Belle is more like a nuisance then a Jezebel she has some wrong ways but so far not to bad we'll see I'm in the middle of the book. :)

After reading this book I have to give it five stars because of the message. The message was a good one. Jesse Belle had some Jezebel ways but they couldve been worse in the end the seem to g...more
Alicia
I loved this book, it's so easy to identify the "Jezebel spirit" in so many women out there in society and in real life. I felt sorry for Jessie Belle, but her greed and lust for materialistic items led to her downfall. I cried for the ending, Jacquelin Thomas writes from the heart. Ienjoy reading her novels. I've also read "The ideal wife" and "Redemption" and enjoyed those too. Her characters are real, her stories are vivid and true to life and keeps the reader occupied throughout. I like that...more
Sheila Peacock
The book reflected on the character of Jessie Bell. She was driven by her need to control and manipulate those she loved. Her deception caused her to jeopardize her marriage, family, and friends. Jessie Bell is associated with characteristics found in the Phoenician Queen of Israel, Jezebel. Jezebel reflected the spirit of manipulation. Jessie Bell experiences a tragedy in order to learn the true meaning of forgiveness and the love of God.
Diane Rembert
Jessie Bell Holt is a young woman from a small town that will do anything to have her way. She meets and marries Traynor Devereaux and spirals into an abyss of deceit. She will stop at nothing to gain power and control the lives of those around her.

I learned so much from reading this book, and I could not put it down. The author has a wonderful,way of breaking down the characteristics of the spirit of Jezebel. I would recommend this book to anyone wanting to learn more and also get a great stor...more
Tasha
Overall, this was a good book. I am a huge fan of Jacqueline Thomas, however I kept filling like there were gaps missing in this book. Some things did not "fit" together for me. But overall it was good. I would still recommend this book to others, especially people needing to learn about the Jezebel spirit. I love the many ways God offers to teach lessons to His children.
Rachel
This was a really good book. I like that Jessie Bell got hers in the end. The author did not try to make the ending the happy ending that you would expect. Jessie Bell died with the acceptance of her situation. She was able to repent for the things she did to others while accepting that her actions caused the consequences of her not being able to walk.
Sharon
Apr 20, 2008 Sharon rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: To people who love christian fiction
Recommended to Sharon by: I read all ms.Thomas books
Wow, What a powerful book ms. thomas have writeing. Jezebel is a woman that doesnt take no for and answer, and will do anything to have power. Kill, cheat, and blackmail. This woman will make you hate her, and then feel sorry for her, this was a very good read it made me go back to kings 1 and 2 and read it again.
Renee Tate
I did not find anything spectacular about this book. I could follow it but I was not impressed with the writing. I have read a few other titles by this author and I'm starting to think that she hates women. I do applaud her for the large number of books she has gotten published.
Tigra
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what can i say it was a great book with tragic events but ultimately it ended great and i definately suggest that people read it.LOVE IT jacquelin did not dissappoit i couldn't put the book down and i look forward to reading more of her books.
A'ndrea Wilson
A good read, however, this is the third book in a row that I've read by this author that has a somewhat dismal ending. Makes me a bit nervous about reading other books by her, especially with it being Christian fiction. I just expect a little more hope.
Sherry
This is one good book. I will be reading it again. I can not wait for the next book to come out.
Arlene
I'm now exposed to the American female from the south. Did not realize a "dialect" was spoken. Also, the behind the scenes of the churches was an eye opener...considering this was a story.
Charlotte
I loved this book. Jessie Bell was a force. I loved that the writer didn't spare feelings or anything else. The dialogue was believable and real! I think I may have a new favorite author.
Kim
After I finished reading this book, I had to hurry home to read the story of Jezebel. I was fascinated with the book so much,that I have decided to read it again.
Sharon
Ms. Thomas does it again!!! This is a good read. I like the play on the title of the book and the main character's name Jessie Belle. A definite page turner!!!
Stephanie Seawright
Really good book. Read witht my Church Book CLub. We had a great discussion. It is a very good read and the character of Jezebel was really interesting.
  • Can I Get a Witness?
  • Too Little, Too Late
  • Blessed Trinity
  • Second Sunday
  • Boaz Brown
  • A Preacher's Passion (Hallelujah Love #3)
Jacquelin Thomas was born to be a writer. Both of her parents and one of her aunts are all writers. She also has a first cousin who is a published inspirational-fiction author. Jacquelin is an award-winning, bestselling author of more than 18 novels in print. In addition to writing fiction, she has contributed to the Women of Color Devotional Bible and has written articles for Brides Noir magazine...more
More about Jacquelin Thomas...
Redemption The Prodigal Husband (New spirit) The Ideal Wife Have a Little Faith A Change Is Gonna Come