Start by marking “A Slice of Pi: All the Maths You Forgot to Remember from School” as Want to Read:
A Slice of Pi: All the Maths You Forgot to Remember from School

A Slice of Pi: All the Maths You Forgot to Remember from School

From the Difference Engine to magic squares and from the Fibonacci rabbits to Fermat's Last Theorem, this book features the weird world of numbers, imaginary, real or infinite.
Published October 1st 2009 by Constable & Robinson (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Slice of Pi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Slice of Pi

Aug 08, 2014 SaraLaLa rated it it was amazing
Let me push my glasses up the bridge of my nose and say it loud and proud: I loved this book. It's everything you could want in a just-for-fun Math book. Interesting stories, cool tricks, and super short chapter so you never felt like it was ever much work. It was the perfect book to carry around in case you had a free minute or two (cause that's all it took to finish most chapters).

I'd say it's worthy of rereading so I could better retain some of the knowledge.
Actually quite interesting; it's full of math 'tricks,' that I shall use to impress my smallish brothers with great success. It also had a chapter on Fibonacci numbers, which makes it one of my favorite things. The chapter where she shows how to find out what day of the week a certain date fell on was particularly enlightening. I tried it out in the end pages and it works like a charm.
Oct 31, 2015 Diane rated it liked it
Sort of fun if you like math.
Sep 24, 2016 Sandy rated it it was amazing
Fun book for math geeks
Jul 12, 2011 Lizzy added it
This review was written by Lee Sorensen and posted by Lizzy Mottern

My father, a math enthusiast who knew how to make any algebra homework take twice as long, ended every explanation to his decidedly non-mathematical son with the summation, “numbers are magic.” More like alchemy to my mind, but regardless, numbers are the only mysticism I trust. If you’re a mathematic pedestrian like myself—but still enjoy the walk—I recommend A Slice of Pi. It’s a stroll to the spooky side of numbers that the so
Mark Kloha
Aug 12, 2016 Mark Kloha rated it it was ok
I saw this book at Barnes and Nobles on their discount shelf. This book is a series of many very short stories/anecdotes. These stories range from fun math tricks to extremely short biographies of famous mathematicians along with some unsolved math theories. She also includes some amusing happenings from when she taught math. Most of these stories and math tricks I already knew. This book isn't meant to be a textbook. It's not even meant to be Cliff's note summary of math. It is a series of amus ...more
My Pseudonym
May 31, 2010 My Pseudonym rated it liked it
This book should help to revitalize your interest in maths, as I'm sure many people (like myself) were somewhat put off by it in school. Schools don't give any background or history on the mathematicians that laid the stepping stones for our understanding and curriculum in schools today. Perhaps if they did so, students would have a greater appreciation and understanding for the skills they are being in taught in the classroom.

Maths is one of the purest subjects out there with many mysteries to
Apr 28, 2016 Elizabeth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math-related
This was a nice book that can be used as reference for teachers who want to share a quick story or math trick with their students. That being said I had heard many of the stories before as well as seen many of the math tricks. I still think the book serves a great purpose of being a quick source at a spur of the moment when you need to fill time in the classroom with something attention grabbing. The author clearly expressed her enthusiasm for math and from her stories it seems her students enjo ...more
Aug 30, 2013 Pablo rated it it was amazing
I just read a slice of pi. It was a very interesting. I learned about math, an who discovered It. Did you know the person who discover geometry was the kings servent. The person was named Eucluid. The king told him to make him a new crown. Ecluid said he did'nt know how to do that. So he thought about it and he finally came up with geometry. In fact geometry is my favorite mathmatic to do. I'd tell you more storys but times up for me. Thats all about a slice of pi.
Mar 06, 2015 Lizzy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not a math person. The sight of numbers brings anxiety and nausea. But I thought it would be great to stretch myself. This book is full of very short chapters covering famous mathmaticians, quirky math facts and fun puzzles. I will not forget that Pythagorean did not like beans. I was fascinated and challenged. I experienced vulgar fractions and enjoyed Fibonacci rabbits. It's a great book to pick up and read a bit and put down to pick up again.
William Schram
A short and easy read, this book talks of a number of mathematical curiosities that the author encountered during her time as a math teacher. Not really challenging, but it does cover some interesting things. It talks about the Pythagoreans, Eratosthenes, and other subjects.

Not really worth a buy, but entertaining nonetheless.
Aug 22, 2013 Denisse rated it it was amazing
Basic math we use everyday. It will help you understand the concepts of mathematics and apply it to your daily life. Lots of simple and fundamental explanation but is worth the time.
It is only a very thin book with many useful details.
it is the type of book which will help you calculate mentally. No more calculators for simple algebra and arithmetic.
Pam Holzner
Mar 18, 2014 Pam Holzner added it
Shelves: math
Imagine a grammar school math teacher sharing with you her best math lessons. The topics are not profound, but she has found lovely gentle ways to illustrate some of the better known math concepts. Each section is only a page or two long -- perfect for reading while waiting for the tea pot to boil.
Swati Shome
Apr 19, 2016 Swati Shome rated it it was amazing
Short, easy to read ' stories' of mathematics. I bought it for my son in Class 9. He read it and enjoyed it too. Each story is barely 2 pages long that makes it easy to read a chapter in a few minutes.
Dec 20, 2012 Lisa rated it it was amazing
This book is wonderful. It is a great book for math enthusiasts and non-mathaticians alike. I am a math teacher for middle and high school students and I plan on using this book to help get my students to realize how much fun math can be!
Mahmoud Ramadan
Aug 09, 2014 Mahmoud Ramadan rated it liked it
collective math tip and information about mathematicians that seduce to math beauty.
this book is written by teacher who taught mathematics for 36 years
Aug 23, 2015 Kristen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Liz Strachan has given some very helpful tips to all middle school students. Very interesting and humorous. A lot to like.
H. Brandon
Aug 22, 2016 H. Brandon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many small mathematical anecdotes. Interesting and fun trivia but without the math behind them. Also short profiles of exceptional mathematicians and scientists. Overall an easy and fun book.
Little blurbs about how a math teacher used tricks and lessons to amuse and interest students. It was ok.
Nov 28, 2012 Clinton rated it it was ok
It was OK - amusing and a little short on true math explanation. It is really a book about the experiences of being a math teacher - funny, and worth a quick read.
Alpesh Gaikwad
Dec 14, 2013 Alpesh Gaikwad rated it really liked it
A really good book to re-learn some of the fundamental concepts of Maths in a different manner.... altogether funny at times... enhancing knowledge regarding Maths throughout the reading...
Oct 16, 2012 gramakri rated it liked it
A right book to be presented to those who hate or are scared of mathematics !
Read more details about this book at
Bolin rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2016
Anna rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2011
Mary Ellen
Mary Ellen rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2014
Chuck Ledger
Jan 09, 2015 Chuck Ledger rated it liked it
I was just a tad light on the math or else it would have been 4 stars.
Thecajungirl rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2016
Fiona Hewlett-parker
Fiona Hewlett-parker rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Catherine rated it liked it
Oct 18, 2013
Jen rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Little Book of Mathematical Principles, Theories, & Things
  • Concepts of Modern Mathematics
  • The Lifebox, the Seashell, and the Soul: What Gnarly Computation Taught Me About Ultimate Reality, the Meaning of Life, and How to Be Happy
  • The Big Questions: Mathematics
  • The Calculus Diaries: How Math Can Help You Lose Weight, Win in Vegas, and Survive a Zombie Apocalypse
  • The New York Times Book of Mathematics: More Than 100 Years of Writing by the Numbers
  • The Manga Guide to Calculus
  • Geometry, Relativity and the Fourth Dimension
  • Euler's Gem: The Polyhedron Formula and the Birth of Topology
  • The Mathematical Universe: An Alphabetical Journey Through the Great Proofs, Problems, and Personalities
  • The Man of Numbers: Fibonacci's Arithmetic Revolution