Start by marking “Tally O'Malley” as Want to Read:
Tally O'Malley

Tally O'Malley (MathStart Level 2)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  24 reviews
The O'Malleys are off to the beach! But it's a long, hot, boring drive. What can Eric, Bridget, and Nell do to keep busy? Play tally games, of course -- counting up all the gray cars or green T-shirts they see. Whoever has the most marks at the end wins the game.

Published September 14th 2004 by HarperCollins (first published September 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Tally O'Malley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tally O'Malley

Selma D
Tally O’Mally - Tallying by Stuart J.Murphy and illustrated by Cynthia Jabar
Published: 2004
Age range: 5 -7

Brief Synopsis:
The O’Malleys are going on a vacation to the beach by car. Mum and Dad, Siblings; Nell, Bridget, Eric and Shamrock the dog start to get restless on the long journey, until Mum suggests to play a tally game. Tallying colours of cars, T-shits and trains the 3 siblings compete against each other by trying to find the most data they are observing.
As Part of the ‘Maths Start’
Bailey
Apr 23, 2010 Bailey added it
Shelves: math
This is a great book to use during math. This book helps teach students about tally marks. I have loved all of the books I have read from this series so far. I can't wait to read more of them!
Emily Miller
In Tally O'Malley a family is going on vacation and keep tallies of different things they see on the way. Each child is looking for a different color of the object such as blue cars, green shirts, and black trains. This would be a great nonfiction book to use when introducing tally marks. It is interactive and concrete. It is also relatable to young children.
Joy
This book is from a series of children's books designed to teach math concepts within an entertaining book. This one teaches tally marks. The kids were really engaged when I read it to them (they were first graders) and I thought it worked well.
Dolly
Dec 12, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We've read several of the MathStart books by Stuart J. Murphy and we have liked them all. Each has a different math principle and they range in levels from one to three. The stories are interesting and have colorful illustrations. But they also incorporate a simple math concept that is depicted in a way that children can easily understand. I love it!

This story follows a family on their way to a vacation at the beach. During the long roadtrip they play a tally game to pass the time. It's a fun st
Courtney
I can definitely see using this book in an early elem. classroom. This is one of those great books that connect 2 usually separate disciplines, literature and math.
Laura Carby

Eric wins the first game. Bridget wins the second. It seems like poor Nell will never win a game! But Nell has the luck of the Irish on her side, and a surprise in store for her big brother and sister.

In my classroom, I use tally charts
Katie Brown
This books is good for teaching a lesson on tallies and graphs. A family goes on vacation and to pass the time they play the tally game where they each pick a certain object and they each get a certain color; cars-blue. They then keep track of how many they see with tallies. You can use this to teach children how to do tally marks and how they are used. This can also be used to teach graphing. They take the tallies and turn them into a graph.
Rebecca Martin
This book is great for a math lesson introducing tally marks and incorperating graphing. I would begin the lesson by telling the students the uses of tally marks and how to make them (4 lines and 1 across makes 5). I would read this book and have the students make the tally marks on their white boards. I will model how to this for them. At the end, I would have them graph the tally makes according the who won the games in the book.
Camila
Sep 14, 2013 Camila rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: math
While on the way to the beach the O'Malleys play a game to pass the time. They use tally marks to keep track of how many times they see a certain object. The person who has the most tallys wins the game! I like this book because it makes math look fun and it shows students how math has real life applications. This is a great book to use when doing tally marks and graphing in math.
Irina
Apr 16, 2012 Irina rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: math
This book is about a family who plays a fun tally game during a road trip. Nell never wins until the end; she gets so happy that she tells everyone to call her Tally O'Malley. This is a great book about tallying, and it introduces a fun game that can be used in the classroom. This is appropriate for ages six and up.
Japonika Finch
This is a great book to start a lesson about tally marks. Tallying is so important for math learning. It gives kids a head start in counting by fives and it is a good basis for charts and graphs. Nice message for parents in there about entertaining the kids on long car trips, and it really shows kids how to tally.
Suzanne
Tally O'Malley is a low second grade level book that teaches using tally marks to keep track of numbers. This could go hand-in-hand with skipcounting. I love to have books that go with math lessons. This is a light and easy math concept book.
Kasmarine
What's a better way to play game on a long boring drive!
The O'Malley enjoyed tallying games. Counting different color of cars,
T-shirt, and etc. This book is both entertaining and educational; appr.
for 1st and 2nd grade.
Tiffany
This is a great book that kids can relate to. Who hasn't taken a long road trip and played the games that Tally and her family play along the way. The book is great way to teach students about tallying.

Lindsey Rutledge
Great way to introduce tally marking. Which will lead to data and graphs. The students would definitely be able to relate to the storyline, a young girl going on a boring trip with their parents.
Denesha Allen
I've used this book to integrate math and literature in my field placement. The book is great for introducing and reinforcing using tally marks. Great illustrations as well.
David
Very fun family. I like the way all of the children have a chance to win the tally game. I can imagine being in a car ride with the family just like the O'Malleys.
Carin Paige
Cute books explains how to use tally marks and models how to use tally marks through the O'malley family's tally mark game in their trip to the beach.
Dana Veron
A fun book about tallying. My 4 year old loved it and now often asks to play tally games in the car. A great way to introduce this math concept.
Jasmine
This is a great book to use for teaching Tallying with your students. I would recommend this book for any teacher and parents as well.
Christy
Family Vacation. Kids fight. Count cars. Get to wear a neclace. Everyone gets a chance to win.
Jermaine
Help students with data and graphs
Jonah Goode
sibling rivalry sux
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Ejalonibu Omolara
Ejalonibu Omolara marked it as to-read
Dia
Dia marked it as to-read
Tia Howell
Tia Howell marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
PICTURES & WORDS, STORIES & BOOKS
MathStart http://www.mathstart.net
I See I Learn http://www.iseeilearn.com

I was one of those kids who talked all the time in class. I loved telling stories. One day in the 4th Grade, my teacher said, “You tell such good stories, maybe you should try writing some of them down.” “Wow,” I thought. “She thinks my stories are good.” That’s when I started to real
More about Stuart J. Murphy...
Give Me Half! (MathStart Level 2) The Penny Pot Lemonade for Sale Divide and Ride Just Enough Carrots