Start by marking “The Adventures of Sammy Jay” as Want to Read:
The Adventures of Sammy Jay

The Adventures of Sammy Jay (The Bedtime Story Books)

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  175 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Sammy Jay thinks he's a very fine gentleman and is proud of his handsome blue coat and high cap. But Sammy often does things he shouldn't do — like stealing. Nobody likes to be told he's a thief — especially Sammy Jay! Much of the time, he just struts around, trying to look important when he thinks someone is looking at him. Filled with pranks and rivalries, this delightfu ...more
Published April 10th 2006 by Dover Publications (first published 1915)

To ask other readers questions about The Adventures of Sammy Jay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventures of Sammy Jay

Jonathan Marshall
Jan 31, 2011 Jonathan Marshall rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-friendly
The Burgess Books

This is a phrase that brings a smile to my face as often as I hear it. As a young child, I would lose myself for hours in the simple world of the wood and pond inhabited by Little Joe Otter, Buster Bear, Grandfather Frog, and terrorized by Farmer Brown's Boy. I can remember the very shelf, even the exact spot in the little library in Felton, CA where these books were kept. I would return practically every week with a new armload to last me until our next trip to the library. Of
Nathaniel
Oct 28, 2014 Nathaniel rated it really liked it
I liked it. He made Chatterer the red squirrel give him corn cause he played a trick on Sammy cause he learned about this. He made him give him corn. He made a bunch of tricks so the corn would be hard to get. He just wanted to scare him not really hurt him. He made him go to the house where he got the corn in broad daylight. When Farmer Brown's boy was doing his chores and Bowser the Hound and Farmer Brown's cat were awake and he almost got caught.
Rod
Feb 10, 2016 Rod rated it it was amazing
So, so simple "entertainment for kids", but if you're paying attention you'll find so much more. In fact a good part of the cleverness of Burgess' writing (when you're paying attention) is figuring out where he's disguising lessons in natural history, zoology, and animal behavior behind the veneer of gentlemanly conduct and interface between the various animals. I even love the way he describes each animal's coat of fur or feathers as if they were a suit of clothes, without ever actually telling ...more
Kristi
Apr 19, 2016 Kristi rated it it was amazing
I loved it. It was our first experience with Thornton Burgess. Charming and lovely to read aloud. The only disappointment was that it ended up being a bit more about Chatterer the Squirrel than Sammy Jay. My little boy loves blue jays, so we were hoping for a lot more Sammy Jay!
Julie
Oct 19, 2015 Julie rated it it was amazing
Stories by Thornton Burgess never seem to get old in this house. As expected, my boys loved it. I can't help but feel that these stories are too childish for my eldest, but he still insists that he wants to read all of Burgess's books. I guess I can't complain since these are well written and instructive.
Leigh
Mar 24, 2009 Leigh rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Originally published in 1915, this title is part of a huge series written by naturalist Thornton Burgess. Targeted at early elementary children, they narrate the fanciful adventures of various woodland creatures. They are somewhat similiar to Avi's Poppy and Ereth's Birthday.

I read these books as a child and am having great fun re-discovering them. They are popular with homeschooler groups, some of whom beleive nothing written after 1950 is any good. (Burgess died in 1964)

Not great literature by
Heather Wilmoth
Jul 07, 2013 Heather Wilmoth rated it it was amazing
Sammy Jay often does things he shouldn't do. In particular, he likes to steal things. Much of the time he just struts around trying to look like a fine gentleman in his blue coat and high cap. My second all time favorite book from T.W. Burgess is none other than Sammy Jay once again my library doesn't have this book Andy more;(
Nym
Nym marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Emilie
Emilie added it
May 09, 2016
Natasha
Natasha marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Book Hunt (PAS)
Book Hunt (PAS) marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Penny-Ann Steel
Penny-Ann Steel rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2016
Kenzie
Kenzie rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Desmond Sasser
Desmond Sasser rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Lisa Bittle
Lisa Bittle rated it did not like it
Apr 07, 2016
Alexa Burks
Alexa Burks marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Cassy
Cassy is currently reading it
Mar 30, 2016
Weradi
Weradi added it
Mar 22, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Selena
Selena added it
Jan 07, 2016
Traci
Traci rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Tucker's Countryside
  • Paddington at Work (Paddington, #7)
  • The Child's Story Bible
  • The Little Duke
  • Fifty Famous People
  • The Best-Loved Doll
  • The Story of Rolf & the Viking Bow
  • Parables from Nature
  • Miss Bianca (The Rescuers, #2)
  • The Man Who Was Magic
  • Hurry Home, Candy
  • The Tale of Little Pig Robinson
  • Columbus
  • Mr. Noisy
  • Little Joe
  • Goodbye Mog
  • Survival at Sea (Choose Your Own Adventure, #16)
  • The Book of Nature Myths
Thornton W. (Waldo) Burgess (1874-1965), American author, naturalist and conservationist, wrote popular children's stories including the Old Mother West Wind (1910) series. He would go on to write more than 100 books and thousands of short-stories during his lifetime.
More about Thornton W. Burgess...

The Bedtime Story Books (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Adventures of Bob White