Dry Ice (Alan Gregory #15)

Dry Ice (Alan Gregory #15)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  1,623 ratings  ·  131 reviews
FROM THE NEW_YORK_TIMES BESTSELLING AUTHOR OF KILL ME

Psychopath Michael McClelland escapes from a mental hospital to exact revenge against those responsible for his confinement, including psychologist Alan Gregory and his family. McClelland has the upper hand-secrets from Alan's past that set a diabolical game in motion.

Published (first published 2007)

Dlora
Stephen White is a really excellent writer. This book in the series continues developing Dr. Gregory's character and relationship with his family and friends. It is more a psychological than an action thriller, though there are still dead bodies, suspense and tension, and a crazy killer. I liked the psychological term sublimation, which means taking a traumatic life-shattering event in your life and changing it into something positive that you can live with. I thought Dry Ice was going to be abo...more
Jan C
I've had the hardcover on my shelf for years. But, driving home from Christmas this year I reached back into the bag of audio books I carry in the car and pulled this one out. I didn't even remember I had it.

I enjoyed it. It harked back to the first book so I was willing to read it out of order. Since I'm still stuck on #3, Higher Authority.

◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆

10/12/13

Re-listened to this one on my way back from NC - by the way, that tr...more
Iowa City Public Library
Alan Gregory’s life seems to be falling apart. He’s drinking too much. His wife is distant. A patient of his psychiatric practice has just hanged herself, and he bungled the sessions enough not to even realize her gender. A psychopath he’d helped put away years before has escaped, and seems to be stalking him.

You know where this is going, don’t you? A scary, drawn out conclusion, probably in a dark basement, cherry-on-topped with some extreme and innovative violence, right? Well, no. The psychop...more
KarenC

IMHO, not one of White's better books in the series; the worst I've read yet. The plot has the potential for real pulse-quickening suspense, but for some reason White chooses to kill it with over-analysis. This book reminds us that White is a psychologist at every possible turn, almost like going with White to his own mental health caretaker. There is too much angst over each situation, too much repetitive agonizing over "secrets," too much repetitive description of the beautiful Boulder, CO sce

Diane
Alan Gregory is a Colorado Psychologist with something to hide. In Dry Ice, it is not long before his past and the secrets he has been hiding gegin to surface. When one of Alan's former patients escapes from The Colorado State Mental Hospital things heat up for Alan Gregory.

At the same time, Alan's wife Lauren is a Boulder, Colorado prosecutor assigned to a high profile and sensitive grand jury investigation, where the key witness has vanished. When Alan finds the woman's Coach handbag in his ya...more
Kim
This is the first Stephen White book I've read, but it certainly won't be the last. I really, really enjoyed it and found it wonderfully unpredictable (hard to find anymore in mysteries it seems) and real as well. I always like to find a favorite line or passage in a book -- one that just jumps out at me. In this book it was this passage:
"Teresa used exclamation points as though she'd won a life-time supply on a game show. She thought she'd never run out. By contrast, I lived life as though I'd...more
Michelle Meckley
I had never heard of this author b/f and was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked his writing. this is the 2nd book in this series and in the begin it seemed I was going to be lost on the plot but White did good job of incorporating both stories so i could follow
Dr Alan Gregory is a psych who patients seem to die and family and friends are in bunches of trouble all at the hand of a sociopathic mastermind Michael Mclaelland this psycho is out to get revenge on this doctor and does so is the...more
Forgetfulone
A great psychological thriller, overall. The beginning is somewhat slow and focuses too much on secrets. That part is rather repetitive. It picks up, though, and gets into a complex tale with a villain from one of White's prior novels. The author skillfully shows the reader why he titled his book Dry Ice, not for one, but two reasons. There are some surprises, as one expects from White. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Suzanne
It had been a while since I had read this one and when I started to read the next in the series, I decided to re-read this one to refresh my memory on what was going on with the main characters.

This was the most recent of the Dr. Alan Gregory mystery novels. I didn't enjoy it as much as some of the previous ones however I love this series! They are based in Boulder and it's fun reading about places I know.
Marilyn
I like Stephen White because his books are set in Colorado and it's nice to read about familiar places. The stories are always intriguing, but I was expecting a bit more grit in this one. The story was more of a psychological thriller. The twist at the end seemed out of place since it had nothing to do with the main storyline. But still, a good summer read.
Ryane
Ginny
An Alan Gregory novel. Alan is accused of murder, Lauren is having trouble with her MS, and one of Alan's first and most dangerous patients has escaped from care. Could life get any more complicated for Dr. Gregory. Stephen White does a good job of keeping us guessing and dealing with all of Alan's angst.
Skyqueen
Secrets. He treated the subject admirably and let us know that there are some things we WOULD do to keep those secrets. Although it is even more complicated than that. And that is what I like about his books. Always the dilemma: Good vs Evil, Right vs Wrong, Honor vs Dishonor, Truth vs Lies. Sometimes there is no easy answer and he covers that beautifully.

"I have MS.
Until that instant her illness had been secret from me. I recognized at some level that her words were not a simple moment of revel...more
Luan
Stephen White manages to craft suspense fiction that's wonderfully crafted in language and description. I always listen to suspense on tape so I can clean house at the same time and I'll hear something read and think, wow, he's a really good writer.
John
Stephen White is my favorite crime/mystery/psychological thriller writer. A character in the series has MS, which helps with the situations I face in reality. Very good books. You must start at the beginning to enjoy the series.
Sara Wright
Stephen White is my favorite mystery writer. He is a psychologist who lives in Boulder, CO, and so I can relate to both the profession and the location. He weaves characters with thrill to create a story that you can't put down.
Emily
As per the title... "dry." This was a mystery book club... book. If I had not read another book by White, I would probably would never read him again but Kill Me is one of my favorites... so I'll try him again.
Stefani
Jul 06, 2008 Stefani added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone that just likes a book for fun
This book is just pure fun. Has all of the elements I love - psychology, murder, suicide, transgender, illness, children, dogs - and all in the setting of Boulder, CO.
Janice
Stephen White continues to amaze with me with the intricate plots, exciting twists and turns in each book--I will definitely keep reading this series.
Sally/Aymster54
Stephen White is always good for a light, enjoyable plot, especially when I'm in a book slump. The stories are not too deep, but fun to read just the same.
Alison Coffey
My favorite Stephen White book so far. Probably because it had the most angst.
Jody
This one started out slow for me. I mean real slow, slow as in I read three other books while I was reading this one but then over half way through it took off. I had read only one Stephen White novel before so I as semi-familiar with the characters but from the book jacket there was a prequel sometime in the past that I haven't read so that might be why this one seemed so slow. I don't know, I cannot really put my finger on why this book didn't do it for me, (surely if you have read enough book...more
Dawn
I love Stephen White and his continuing psychologist character, Alan Gregory. I’ve read and enjoyed all of his books. A quick aside note: Dr. Alan Gregory is a psychologist in Boulder, Colorado where he also lives with his wife and daughter. Stephen White actually lives in Denver (he previously lived in Boulder) and so he weaves local locations and flavors into his books. It’s a lot of fun, especially for me, having grown up so near Boulder, being able to identify many of the places he talks abo...more
Annie
Feb 11, 2008 Annie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: thriller/mystery readers
From Publishers Weekly
Starred Review. Contemporary cerebral thrillers don't get much better than bestseller White's 15th novel (after Kill Me), which deftly combines complex characterization and intricate plotting. White's debut novel, Privileged Information, introduced Boulder, Colo., psychologist Alan Gregory and the clever but deadly Michael McClelland, a former meteorologist turned killer, whose rampage almost cost Gregory and his wife, Lauren, their lives. In this sequel, while Lauren, a lo...more
Jodi
Samantha
This is an Dr. Alan Gregory book however you could possibly read it as a standalone. I hadn't read the first book that has Michael in it. However, I found it very easy to follow along. I thought this book created a lot of depth for Alan and his wife, Laura and even Sam Purdy. It really furthered the character development of all of them. I really didn't find Alan that whiny which a lot of other reviewers seemed to find fault with. It may be where I haven't read the whole series and haven't had nu...more
Annabelle
White is a clinical psychologist from Colorado, and his protagonist, Alan Gregory is just that. The book is long at 500 pages, and the writing a bit annoying as White tells us in detail of Alan’s motivation and feelings, well I guess he is a psychologist. Then he talks about locations in Boulder in detail, and I kept thinking that Walnut wasn’t really by Pearl. Also the marital relationship between Alan and Lauren sucked, they were upset at each other and you didn’t know why and it got worse, an...more
Donna Murray
This is one of those books that reading predecessors would help and reading subsequent books would, too. Lots of Alan Gregory's personal information to digest and care about. Had to stick with it early, but you can trust Stephen White--the initial details matter. I'm a fan.
Albert Riehle
There's a mostly decent book in these pages but it's camouflaged pretty well by a lot of mind-numbingly boring preamble. I rushed to read something else by this author after really enjoying Kill Me, but had to fight the urge to give up on this one a few times.

Then it got pretty good. Then it got compelling and I found myself enjoying it. But then it got anticlimactic and fizzled at the end in a--okay, I've written enough words, time to put a bow on it and call it a book--sort of way.

If Goodrea...more
Kevin
Well, it takes place in Colorado, that's something right? Actually, the best thing about the book is how the somewhat clever title relates to the story, which is not revealed until later in the book.

The mystery/drama aspect is somewhat interesting, but is not a nail-biting, edge-of-your-seat type story. I didn't care for any of the protagonists, and the antagonists were weak or undeveloped entirely. White relied too much on their previous appearances, so I never developed any strong feelings, a...more
  • The Pied Piper (Boldt/Matthews #5)
  • Killing Custer (Wind River Reservation, #17)
  • A Dark and Lonely Place
  • Killer Ambition (Rachel Knight, #3)
  • Chill of Night (Night #6)
  • Sleeping Beauty
  • Concourse (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #2)
  • White Ginger
  • The Road to Cardinal Valley
  • Capital Crimes (Will Lee, #6)
  • Dead Silence (Doc Ford, #16)
  • The Book Lover
  • Blood Hollow (Cork O'Connor, #4)
  • Eyes of Justice (Triple Threat, #4)
  • The Memory Collector (Jo Beckett #2)
20950

Stephen White is the author of the New York Times bestselling Alan Gregory novels. In his books, he draws upon over fifteen years of clinical practice as a psychologist to create intriguing plots and complex, believable characters.

Born on Long Island, White grew up in New Y...more
More about Stephen White...
Kill Me (Alan Gregory, #14) Privileged Information (Alan Gregory, #1) Missing Persons (Alan Gregory, #13) Private Practices (Alan Gregory, #2) Cold Case (Alan Gregory, #8)

“Secrets aren't secret. They're just hidden treasures, waiting to be exploited.” 12 likes