Start by marking “The Blue House Dog” as Want to Read:
The Blue House Dog

The Blue House Dog

A boy without a dogand a dog without an ownerfind each other in this powerful moving story of loneliness and redemption.
Published August 1st 2010 by Peachtree Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Blue House Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blue House Dog

Tasha
Sep 15, 2010 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
After Bones’ owner dies, he is left to fend for himself on the streets. He sleeps under bushes, avoids the cars driving around, and forages for food. Cody, a boy in the neighborhood who recently lost his own dog, notices Bones wandering around and feeds him scraps. But Bones is very skittish and shy. Slowly Cody begins to be able to touch Bones, then works day after day to get Bones to enter the house. Slowly Bones begins to bond with this new human, trust and friendship blooming like the daffod ...more
Kelly
Jun 04, 2012 Kelly rated it it was amazing
I honestly don't know how I'm going to read this book aloud without sobbing.

The Blue House Dog, a nominee for the 2012-13 South Carolina Picture Book Award, is a perfect book for anyone who's ever loved a dog or anyone who's ever experienced grief. It is a story of a boy who lost his dog and a dog who lost his owner. Somehow, the two find each other, and after a while, grow to love each other. It's not easy for either of them to move on, but they help each other through their grief.

I can already
Meredith Estes
Nov 14, 2013 Meredith Estes rated it it was amazing
Shelves: authors, animals
I love this book, I must say the first time I read it I really wanted to cry. My son makes me read this book to him all the time. It has great vocabulary and a wonderful meaning behind it, you could look at the meaning to be more than the boys relationship with the dog and teach children they can build a lasting relationship with a student in their classroom going through a hard time.

Deborah Blumenthal
1.From New York
2.Now lives in Texas
3.journalist, nutritionist, and children's book author
4.S
Angie
Jan 06, 2012 Angie rated it really liked it
This is a very gentle story about a dog and a boy finding each other and dealing with grief. Bones the dog has lost his owner and his home. He is now a just a stray dog that wonders the neighborhood looking for scraps; he is skittish and doesn't trust anyone. Cody is a boy who has lost his dog; he wants to befriend Bones and eventually they become a pair. This is a really good picture book dealing with grief and loss in an age-appropriate way. I thought the story was a perfect mix of sorrow and ...more
Peacegal
Aug 13, 2010 Peacegal rated it liked it
Shelves: humane-education
This is a gentle, richly illustrated picture book which demonstrates how a simple act of kindness can make all of the difference in an animal's life. This would be a nice choice for a Humane Education read-aloud.

The Blue House Dog would be an excellent starting point for discussions about homeless pets and why some pets lose their homes. However, shelter outreach workers will probably want to discuss the negative depiction of the "dog catcher" in this book and advise children on appropriate way
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Not sure what it is about today but seems that I am reading books about dogs and grief. A dog on a book typically is going to be sad...not sure why that is, but it is true. In this case, there is a boy who lost his dog and a dog (a stay) who lost his family/home. The story shows how they both - find healing in a new friendship
E
Dec 21, 2015 E rated it it was amazing
This is a very sweet, quiet story of a boy who befriends and ultimately adopts a homeless dog who has lost his family. I really like books like this, that weave good messages of compassion into their stories. The text moves at a calm, languid pace, and the illustrations are soft and dreamlike. Overall, a lovely book.
Kristi
Oct 25, 2012 Kristi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book tugs at the heart strings. As a dog lover and for anyone who has ever lost a pet or a pet who has lost an owner, the message is clear: healing takes time and loss never goes away, but it can be healed. The bond between man and dog is strong. Touching story of loss and the ability to find and trust another again.
Marcie
Oct 05, 2013 Marcie rated it really liked it
Kids loved this read aloud and many said how much it was a picture book version of Ann Martin's A Dog's Life which they love. Thanks to the read aloud committee for recommending it. I realize it's a 2010 but I hope enough kids like it.
Traci
Sep 16, 2014 Traci rated it it was amazing
Such a tender and gentle picture book about a dog who is left behind by his owner who dies and a new friend who reaches out to take care of him. Touching story and gentle enough to read to young children about the touchy subject of death. The illustrations are beautiful.
Carol Cronin
Dec 15, 2010 Carol Cronin rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: kids who love dogs
The Blue House Dog is an inspiring story for kids just starting to read on their own (though I'm hoping my 13 year old nephew will find it a good substitute for a real dog). Text and artwork combine to tell a touching story of a boy who adopts the neighborhood's stray dog. Highly recommended.
Christiane
Sep 08, 2010 Christiane rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A lonely boy and a homeless dog....with a happy ending! This is a beautifully illustrated and poetic book about death and loss and finding hope for the future. Great for kids or anyone who's experienced the death of a beloved pet.
Nancy
I usually don't like animal stories because they are too sad. I really liked this one. Very touching and beautiful illustrations. This is the story of a German Shepherd mix who hangs around the neighborhood avoiding the dog catcher. A young boy tells the dog's story as well as his own.
Lupine
Christy
Jan 27, 2017 Christy rated it it was amazing
Betsy
Jun 18, 2012 Betsy rated it it was amazing
Heartbreakingly sad & sweet at the same time.
Serina
Jun 29, 2012 Serina rated it really liked it
A beautiful sad story told with much heart and affection. I liked it but I don't know if too serious for little kids?
Erin
Sweet book about dogs and how they work their way into our hearts, even they non-special ones.
Kim Stroberg
Jul 18, 2011 Kim Stroberg rated it it was amazing
Shelves: golden-sower
I am probably rating this book more on my own personal experience than with the actual story, but I can't help it. Love it!
Amy
Oct 10, 2013 Amy rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book about a stray dog (whose owner has died) and a boy who has recently lost his own beloved dog. Certainly made this dog lover weepy reading it.
Stephanie
Aug 14, 2010 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: pbs-animals, 2010
What a sad, sweet book about a persistent and sensitive boy and a stray dog.
Donalyn
Sep 06, 2010 Donalyn rated it really liked it
I loved this gentle story of a boy and a dog, both moving on after losing someone they loved. I always say that books with dogs on the cover need tissue bookmarks-- this is no exception.
Aimee Owen
Mar 23, 2012 Aimee Owen rated it really liked it
A thoughtful story about a dog and his boy.
Melody
Jan 08, 2012 Melody rated it really liked it
This was a very moving story about grief and finding a kindred soul. The illustrations are beautiful and I am a sucker for a dog book.
Lea
Jun 18, 2012 Lea rated it liked it
Shelves: show-me-readers
Lonely boy, homeless dog, happy ending...
Well written to describe boy's emotions and especially, dealing with grief.
Gracie
Apr 26, 2013 Gracie added it

THIS STORY IS AN AMASING STORY BECAUSE THE DOG IS HOMELESS AND HE GETS HOME!
Marcia
Dec 14, 2010 Marcia rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: dog lovers, grades 2-4
A gentle story of a dog who loses his master and becomes homeless, and a boy who loses his dog and misses him terribly. The two meet and fill the hole in each other's life. Touching.
Karen
Oct 04, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it
This picture book sweet story about the relationship between previously owned dogs and boys who previously owned a dog, with stunningly beautiful illustrations.
Gabe
Gabe rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2012
Eric Coulbourne
Eric Coulbourne rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Deborah Blumenthal is an award-winning journalist and nutritionist who now divides her time between writing children's books and adult novels. She has been a regular contributor to The New York Times (including four years as the Sunday New York Times Magazine beauty columnist), and a home design columnist for Long Island Newsday. Her health, fitness, beauty, travel, and feature stories have appear ...more
More about Deborah Blumenthal...

“When you lose someone who's as close as your own skin, the only place you can find him again is hidden inside your memories.” 6 likes
“When you lose someone who’s as close as your own skin, the only place you can find him again is hidden inside your memories.” 0 likes