Start by marking “Knitter's handbook” as Want to Read:
Knitter's handbook

Knitter's handbook

4.19  ·  Rating Details  ·  330 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
The ultimate reference for knitters at every level -- step-by-step directions and detailed instructional illustrations cover every aspect of knitting know-how. Includes a special "help!" section for the inevitable mishaps, and shows how to correct errors.
Published September 6th 1999 by Readers Digest (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Knitter's handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knitter's handbook

Stitch 'n Bitch by Debbie StollerKnitting Without Tears by Elizabeth ZimmermannElizabeth Zimmermann's Knitter's Almanac by Elizabeth ZimmermannThe Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns by Ann BuddKnitting Rules! by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
Must-have Knitting Books
36th out of 176 books — 158 voters
Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitter's Almanac by Elizabeth ZimmermannStitch 'n Bitch by Debbie StollerKnitting Rules! by Stephanie Pearl-McPheeKnitting Without Tears by Elizabeth ZimmermannYarn Harlot by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
Knitting Nonfiction
23rd out of 70 books — 80 voters

More lists with this book...

MJ
Feb 16, 2013 MJ rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting, purchase, diy
Actually, its Montse Stanley a woman, not Stanley Montse. This is a pretty big error that SOMEONE SHOULD CORRECT!!!!!

I read the hard copy done by Readers Digest in 1993.

The writer is Spanish and so, I imagine, brings a hmmm...more organic approach to instructions that American writers. Stanley includes lots of useful aside about her topic that I haven't seen in American knitting how-to books.

I'll buy my own copy if I can find one...the library wants this one back.
Jo Bennie
Dec 01, 2014 Jo Bennie rated it really liked it
Shelves: m
This book, first published in 1986, is a good resource of knitting covering everything from basics right through to advanced techniques. It comes in four parts:

One: Basics - covering holding your work, how knitting works to hold the wool into a fabric and equipment
Two: Get Clicking - casting on and off, all types of stitches including turning, increases, decreases, slip stitches, cabling, buttonholes, beads, fair isle (stranding), intarsias, edges and hems.
Three: Final touches - making up, bl
Bonny
Sep 22, 2014 Bonny rated it it was amazing
This was a book my Mother gave me many ye ars ago. I learned so much from this book over the years. Certainly there are newer books geared to the no ice knitter, but this one remains a favourite.
Barb
Dec 23, 2008 Barb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: serious knitters
Shelves: knitting
Comprehensive is exactly what this book is. Breaking away from the book of knitted projects, this book discusses technique, technique, technique. For years, I would read a section or two, browse the beautiful photographs and dream about knitting. To list all the topics covered by this book would use all the space in this review. You will not find any instructions for stitch patterns or knitted projects. But if you are looking to figure out which cast on is right for the project you want to do, w ...more
Julie
Feb 10, 2014 Julie rated it it was amazing
excellent reference
Phemme0112
Feb 28, 2010 Phemme0112 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting
This is a handy book to have about if one is a knitter. It's very easy to use, cross-referenced out the wazoo, and well-organized. Need a cast-on? Take your pick. Time to bind-off? Well, which one? It'll tell you which bind-off is best for your needs and illustrate it clearly with step-by-step line drawings. I find it a fairly encyclopedic reference for nearly all my knitting needs. Between this and Elizabeth Zimmermann, I feel pretty well-covered on all the basics.
Ciaobella
Jan 19, 2010 Ciaobella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art-craft-create
This detailed compendium is an essential knit garment tool. The techniques are numerous. While I wouldn't recommend this book to a beginning knitter, Montse is my idol for dedicating so much energy to this. It's unfortunate that the book is no longer available in hard cover, but heading to the copy shop to laminate the cover and create a spiral binding is always an option for this essential addition to a knitter's library.
Claudine
Jun 03, 2008 Claudine rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, knitting
This book has a very comprehensive catalog of knitting techniques, from cast-on and bind-off methods, to finishing techniques such as hems, button holes, seaming and grafting methods. Most of the techniques are illustrated with pictures. The writing style is a bit dry, but the wealth of contents still makes it a good reference book. I still pull this book out of the shelf from time to time.
Deodand
Sep 13, 2011 Deodand rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting, non-fiction
There's a reason this book is still in print after all this time - it's very relavant and useful to the experienced knitter. I love that section that explains how to fix mistakes without frogging.

I wouldn't want to learn from it, though. The drawings aren't always clear, which is not the fault of the illustrator. Learning to knit from drawings can be confusing.
Heather
Oct 19, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You won't believe it until you see it! Twenty different ways to cast on and off and the pro's and con's of each. Not for the earliest beginners but this book is a would be good investment for anyone who wants to make their own patterns.
Ginger
Jun 10, 2010 Ginger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an absolutely essential reference in any knitter's library. I had no idea there were so many ways to cast on or bind off! It's now out of print, but if you can find it used, then grab it!
Renoah
Nov 16, 2008 Renoah rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting, owned
A fabulous reference book for knitters. Gives instructions for many kinds of bind-offs, cast-ons, colorwork, buttonholes, and other design features. Indispensable for the pattern-liberated knitter.
Emily
Feb 19, 2008 Emily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting-books
This book has a solution for everything I have ever needed to know in the middle of knitting something, including about eleventy trillion ways to cast on. Pretty much indispensable.
penny shima glanz
Aug 24, 2009 penny shima glanz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: craft-knitting
I taught myself to knit from this book. I don't recommend THAT but it is a great reference that you will keep turning to time and time again.
Amanda
Apr 21, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: craft-books
A great book to learn how to knit in many different ways. How to cast on, and cast off.
This book has made me a better knitter.
j.elaine
Apr 15, 2009 j.elaine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiber-arts, reference
Best knitter's resource I have found yet for learning all the different techniques and stitches.
Lil' Grogan
Feb 20, 2012 Lil' Grogan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: handmade
I've been looking for this book for years. The best reference book I've found to date.
Jan 13, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting-crafts
The patterns are out of date, but the techniques thorough and well explained.
Elizabeth
Mar 05, 2014 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thorough and excellent resource for all types of knitters.
BUY IT.

Lo
Aug 14, 2007 Lo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: knitters
A gift from my sister Amy, and the best knitting reference there is.
Ann Johnson Davis
One of my favorite go-to books on knitting.
Genoveve
Mar 17, 2008 Genoveve rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: needle crafters
Great knitter's reference book.
Gayle
Gayle rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2016
Briar Graovac
Briar Graovac marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Rodylyn Rose
Rodylyn Rose rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2016
Melanie Hunter
Melanie Hunter marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Kathi
Kathi rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2016
Mariette Bezuidenhout
Mariette Bezuidenhout marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
Betty
Betty marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Dawn Fausett
Dawn Fausett rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2016
  • The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns
  • Victorian Lace Today
  • Big Book of Knitting
  • The Principles of Knitting: Methods and Techniques of Hand Knitting
  • Knitting on the Edge: Ribs * Ruffles * Lace * Fringes * Floral * Points & Picots - The Essential Collection of 350 Decorative Borders
  • Knitting in the Old Way: Designs and Techniques from Ethnic Sweaters
  • Knitted Lace of Estonia
  • Vogue Knitting: The Ultimate Knitting Book
  • Alice Starmore's Book of Fair Isle Knitting
  • The Knitter's Book of Yarn: The Ultimate Guide to Choosing, Using, and Enjoying Yarn
  • New Pathways for Sock Knitters: Book One
  • Knitting Without Tears: Basic Techniques and Easy-to-Follow Directions for Garments to Fit All Sizes
  • Mary Thomas's Knitting Book
Montse Stanley (1942-1999), born Montserrat Bayés Sopena, was an architect and a knitter. She was a knitting teacher, lecturer, essayist, and exhibitor across England and Spain.
More about Montse Stanley...