Taken by the Prince (Governess Brides #9)

Taken by the Prince (Governess Brides #9)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  1,142 ratings  ·  86 reviews
Only Victoria knows that Saber Lawrence is a renegade prince plotting to seize control of his country. But when Saber kidnaps Victoria to ensure her silence and vanquish her reserve, he finds that the proper English governess is not so easily seduced, unless Saber's willing to surrender something of his own-his heart.

Published April 5th 2011 by Penguin (first published February 23rd 2011)

A Lot like Love by Julie JamesThe Perfect Play by Jaci BurtonEleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart by Sarah MacLeanCall Me Irresistible by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsJust Like Heaven by Julia Quinn
2011 Romance
97th out of 385 books — 806 voters
An Offer From a Gentleman by Julia QuinnDreaming of You by Lisa KleypasIt's in His Kiss by Julia QuinnThe Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie by Jennifer AshleyEleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart by Sarah MacLean
Illegitimate heroes & heroines (Historical romance)
32nd out of 171 books — 64 voters

More lists with this book...

willaful
Nov 20, 2011 willaful rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: someone looking for a light historical
Shelves: prisoner-of-love
3.5 stars. Don’t be intimidated by that #9 above -- this is only very loosely linked to In Bed with the Duke, so you don’t have to read that first, and aren’t you the lucky one. That book and other recent Dodds were so boring I almost didn’t start this at all. But although it turned out to be pretty wallpapery and features annoying historical romance cliche #1 (view spoiler), it's still quite entertai...more
Kelly22
4.50 Stars - Regency/Historical Romance!

Taken By The Prince tells the story of a renegade prince Saber Lawrence, who wishes to gain control of his country Moricadia. He faces many obstacles in the way of his mission and fights many demons of his own. Including not falling in love with one Miss Victoria Cardiff, the girl he once saw during her very young age and who now is proving to be a very principled and beautiful obstacle in his expedition. Therefore, conditions force him to kidnap her in or...more
Fiendishly Bookish
4.5 Stars

Christina Dodd revives the grandeur in historical romance with Taken by the Prince her latest release that kindles memories of the unforgettable characters, rampant humour, and amusing situations she trademarked in her Distinguished Academy of Governesses series. Doted on with Dodd’s careful, but solidly distinctive style, Taken by the Prince is a measured effort, and well…nearly perfect.

This time in Taken by the Prince, Dodd penned a similar theme to an earlier release, The Runaway Pr

Brandi
Victoria is the best of the Governess'. This is one bad Victorian chick with sword...and serious attitude.
Victoria is a very smart woman, who has learned early to take what life has given her and keep moving. She's not a typical D-I-D, she takes charge of her life and does not cry when things don't go her way.
When she first meets Saber, there is an immediate disdain for him (but of course, this hides another emotional reaction that she has for him.)
And Saber...well, what can be said besides tha...more
Kimberly
A fairy tale for the modern reader. Raul is not the perfect prince. He was abused as a child & has flaws that make him more human than the standard perfect prince. Victoria is a smart lady with a backbone of steel. Both characters are very likable.
The supporting cast of characters are colorful, humorous & fun to read about. This is a great romance.
Linda
I didn't like it much. A big disappointment for a Christina Dodd book. I've lots of her books & love them but this was blah.
Zero chemistry between the hero & heroine with no build up to the romance. Not a book I want to reread or keep.
Oleta Blaylock
Contrary to some of the reviews that I have read I found that this is an enjoyable book about a man that I found very intriguing. I found that this is a story true to the historical romances of this genre. There is the woman that is determined to fight to keep her virtue and the rake that is just as determined to win her. Raul "Sabre" Lawrence is what he was raised to be, a nobleman. He has made the most of his time in his father homeland. He is determined reclaim is homeland and relieve his cou...more
Bookaholics
Taken by the Prince by Christina Dodd
Historical Romance -April 1st, 2011
4 stars

Lovers of Regency romance will be highly entertained by Christina Dodd's latest romance Taken by the Prince.

Saber Lawrence is the rightful heir to the small country of Moricadia. However, treacherous interlopers betrayed his family's generosity and mounted a hostile takeover. His mother sends him to his real father for safety and an education. But Saber is his father's illegitimate son and his father is a cold a bruta...more
Lover of Romance
When Victoria first meets Saber, she doesn't believe that he is a true prince planning on taking back his kingdom that was stolen away from his family. Victoria is now a governess and meets Saber again after three years of distance but her feelings for him haven't changed. Saber can't afford for his plans or his true identity to be revealed while he is planning the revolution so he takes Victoria prisoner in his castle and where some of his people are taking refuge. Victoria is the one woman tha...more
Fira Rosli
I'm being such a stubborn ass woman because I insist vehemently on writing a review about this fabulous book rather then go to bed for work tomorrow (which undoubtedly will result me in having ugly eyebags).

Okay. This book had me really intrigued and totally engrossed ever since the starting of the story. I was very, very impressed with Christina Dodd's writing this time and this is also another one of her books which I could proclaimed loudly and clearly throughout the whole world, that she ha...more
Rose May
Note: This review, and all my reviews, comes from my blog - Romantic Rose's Bookshelf (http://romantic-rosesblog.blogspot.com)

First, let me say I have never wanted to cry for a little boy more than I wanted to cry for little Saber-Raul Lawrence. Even Dain in Loretta Chase’s Lord of Scoundrels didn’t evoke such sadness and pity in me. I wanted to sweep up the child and hold him in my arms and shelter him from his evil, cruel father and those terrible letters he read in that emotionless voice. I l...more
Evie
A fairy tale like only Christina Dodd can tell.

Raul, otherwise known as Saber, is a Prince. No... not that kind of Prince. He is an impoverished Prince. Oh but poverty only lasts until his biological father, who happens to be a Viscount, decides to relocate his illegitimate to England, where he lives.

Saber despises his father just as much as the man despises him. Yet, Raul's got no other option than to make the best of his time in England-- after all, he recognizes he can learn things he can p...more
Antica
Rebecca
Christina Dodd’s Taken by the Prince was released a few weeks ago, and I just got the chance to read it this weekend. Ms. Dodd writes historical, contemporary, and paranormal romances, and I’ve read nearly all her books. The heroine of Taken by the Prince, one of her historical novels, has a lot in common in common with yours truly: Victoria Cardiff is strong-willed, bossy, opinionated, and a real stunner. Okay, well, 3 out of 4 isn’t bad, right?
To be blunt, the premise of this novel is far-fetc...more
Rachel
Prim and proper Victoria Cardiff does not believe in love. This is shocking because Victoria is, as one would guess, a woman, and women are obsessed with "true love." Her mother remarried some loser, and ever since then Victoria has been hell-bent on becoming an up-tight governess, entirely removed from anything that could tarnish her virginal reputation. Exotically handsome Raul Lawrence, aka "Saber" (guess what his signature weapon is), also doesn't believe in love because of his unhappy child...more
Rebecca
Monty Cupcake
I enjoyed the heroine, but not the hero. While I liked Victoria's plucky personality, I never really connected with either of the characters. Not one of my favorite books by Dodd. Doubt I'd reread this.
Serban Georgiana
Mi-a placut aceasta carte,a fost combinatia perfecta dintre suspans si actiune la maxim si o poveste furtunoasa de dragoste.
Personajele principale ale acestei carti sunt foarte inreresante,ambele au un trecut furtunos care ne este dezvaluit pe parcursul cartii.Chiar daca sunt doua pietre tari pana la final dragoste invinge.
Singurul regret pe care-l am este acela ca aceasta carte incheie o seri minunata.Parca mi-asi fi dorit mai multe carti,dar orice este frumos are si un final,iar in acest caz f...more
Amber
Oh I *LIKED* this one. It walked the line of rapey at a couple of times, but did so successfully (imo). It didn't veer over into a "Holy hell why is she with him?!?", though it did almost veer into Stockholm Syndrome. ALMOST. BUT it didn't do either so I was happy. I liked the heroine, and she could totally have done better than the hero (because he was kind of a dumbass). But I loved their relationship so much. I loved the dispatching of the villain. What can I say? I just loved this story!
Donna
I really enjoyed this. Victoria was wonderful..intelligent and resiliant. I didn't like Raul/Saber quite as much. He was too arrogant...yes, I know that was the point, but he should have been portrayed with a little more humanity. Also, the romance was a little flat...we spent a lot more time in either Raul or Victoria's head and not enough time building the romance. Raul's family/people were just delightful. The ending was cute...I liked this a lot more than the last book in this series.
Stacie
Victoria is good friends with Saber's sisters. She has always heard of the stories that Saber is a prince from a foreign land. She was not always sure if it was true. Then when she gets a job working in a foreign country, she sees Saber there and realizes that it is true. Saber is there to reclaim his throne and can not be discovered yet. He kidnaps Victoria in order to make sure that news does not get out that he is plotting to take back his throne.
Christina Pikas
Predictable but enjoyable. Not sure I'm all that keen on she-said-no-but-meant-yes.
CeladonRoses
Lynne Tull
This book is #9 of the Governess Brides Series. I started at the beginning when the books were more tied together. Now the only tie is that the heroine attended the School for Governesses. While this was a good story, I am thinking I am tired of being a governess. I am ready to move on to something different. I have lost interest completely. Although, I love Christina Dodd books and will read some of her other novels.
Heather
While Christina Dodd is one of my favorite authors, this was certainly not my favorite book. There were very funny moments, but there was no chemistry between the hero and heroine...left me kinda wanting more in the book.

I read the book again and actually enjoyed it better the second time. Raised the rating to 4 stars instead of the original 3 I had given it. I guess I was in too big of a hurry to read it the first time.
Cathy
Loved this book. Set in 1830s England and the fictional kingdom of Moricadia, the governess and the prince heat up the pages. I liked the characters who were all well written. Interplay between the characters was spot-on. The closing chapters left me wanting more. I love books that make me imagine what happens to the characters after the book is closed and this one did that. I was happy to read it.
Joycee
I don't quite understand the heroine's reactions so far to the hero. But I'll keep reading and maybe I'll have an "aha!" moment.
-------------
Not quite an aha moment, but I must admit the story turned out well. The villain was unexpected but not out of the realm of possibility. I "bought" Raul & Victoria by the end. I guess I'll go back to her Governess series.
Liz
Really enjoyed Raul/Saber's story, with a heroine who seemed like a good match. He's basically the ultimate alpha male, but Victoria holds her own, and as a result, there are plenty of flying sparks.

The only issue I had was that some of the dialogue felt a little more contemporary-American than 19th-century Middle European, but it wasn't a deal breaker.
Jessica
Well, I found this quite adorable. I didn't care for the final scene, but that is just personal preference... I hate a public proposal. I keep thinking that if I was in that situation how I'd hate everyone looking at me and wondering why I was breathing so hard into that paperbag. I like surprise presents, not surprise parties. :)
Kasey
Jun 27, 2011 Kasey rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Donna
Recommended to Kasey by: bookpage
I would have liked to give this three and a half stars. It was totally chick lit/beach read/smut but everybody goes there from time to time. The storyline was good and the characters believable but then it seemed like the author decided to sprint for the checkered flag. The conflict resolution was wayyyy to easy!
  • Always a Temptress (The Drake's Rakes #3)
  • Wicked Delights of a Bridal Bed (The Byrons of Braebourne, #4)
  • To Romance a Charming Rogue (Courtship Wars, #4)
  • Lord of Temptation (The Lost Lords of Pembrook, #2)
  • Midnight's Wild Passion
  • An Affair Without End (Willowmere, #3)
  • Mad about the Duke (Bachelor Chronicles, #7)
  • A Perfect Groom (Sterling trilogy, #2)
  • Scandal of the Year (Abandoned at the Altar, #2)
  • Heartless (Georgian, #1)
  • A Beginner's Guide to Rakes (Scandalous Brides, #1)
  • One Night Is Never Enough (Secrets, #2)
  • The Bride Wore Scarlet (Fraternitas Aureae Crucis, #2)
  • The Many Sins of Lord Cameron (Highland Pleasures, #3)
  • Scandalous Desires (Maiden Lane, #3)
  • How to Seduce a Scoundrel (How To Series #2)
Join Christina's mailing list for upcoming book news, book sales and entertainment delivered right to your inbox! http://christinadodd.com/newsletters/...

In 2014, Christina is publishing the Lost Hearts series in e-book, all enhanced with extra material:
-- JUST THE WAY YOU ARE
-- ALMOST LIKE BEING IN LOVE
-- CLOSE TO YOU
And Christina's all-new series, Virtue Falls, starts with:
-- THE LISTENER: A Vi...more
More about Christina Dodd...
Scent of Darkness (Darkness Chosen, #1) Into The Shadow (Darkness Chosen, #3) Into the Flame (Darkness Chosen, #4) Touch of Darkness (Darkness Chosen, #2) Storm of Visions (The Chosen Ones, #1)