Start by marking “Murder by Magic: Twenty Tales of Crime and the Supernatural” as Want to Read:
Murder by Magic: Twenty Tales of Crime and the Supernatural

Murder by Magic: Twenty Tales of Crime and the Supernatural (Retrievers #3.5)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  214 ratings  ·  15 reviews
This collection of phenomenal short stories concentrates on murders committed or solved by fantastical means. Editor Rosemary Edghill established the rules: There had to be a crime-preferably a murder—and magic and the supernatural had to be involved, either in the commission or in the solution. The responses came from some of the best voices in science fiction, mystery, f ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published October 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Murder by Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder by Magic

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Oct 15, 2009 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of occult and paranormal mystery genres
Recommended to Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) by: Amazon.com
I really enjoyed this anthology, although it took me a while to read through. I can honestly say that every story was unique. There was a slight lean towards higher fantasy and/or historical fantasy that was interesting, as I was expecting a modern occult detective slant. But that is just my presupposition of this volume.

My favorite story in this collection, hands down, was 'Dopplegangsters' by Laura Resnick. I thought it was very clever. Made men aka mafiosos are being preyed upon by a superna
Ladiibbug
Very unique & enjoyable short stories, from paranormal to fantasy.

This is one anthology that's absolutely worth reading. I enjoyed every one of the 20 stories.
N.N. Light
Supernatural meets Agatha Christie in this cool anthology. I picked up this book at a bookstore a few years ago and I just started reading it this fall.

I loved most of the short stories in this anthology which is rare for me. Whenever I read anthologies, I usually only find a few short stories I enjoy, This one, however, I loved 80% of them.

The ones I didn't like were dealing with a subject I didn't enjoy. The writing and character development was still top notch. I just didn't connect with th
faeriemyst
I'm not going to write an in-depth review, but here are the book highlights for me:

Doppelgangster by Laura Resnick - Except for the basic concept, this is unrelated to her Esther Diamond series. Very creative and clever, my third favorite of the book.

A Death in the Working by Debra Doyle - About one-third to half the story is footnotes. Intriguing world and premise but I would recommend either reading the story first, then the footnotes or the other way around. Otherwise the footnotes interfere
Terri
This is a really solid collection of short stories. The stories are a collection of modern urban fantasies, classic British country house mysteries, locked room mysteries, and fantasy settings. I enjoyed the mixture of types of stories and the way the various authors played with the two genres. Several of the stories were really exceptional.

One thing I did not like: I originally picked up the collection because I am a big Mercedes Lackey fan, and the book includes a short story by her. In fact,
Doris
For the most part these were very enjoyable stories, although a couple felt like they were trying to overjustify an event. My favorite was probably "Dopplegangers", but others were also well done.

A good read for lunch breaks or other times when you need a book you can put down.
Ann Schwarz
Great anthology! The mysteries are all fresh takes on the genre and each involve magic. Loved it. Found a bunch of authors I haven't read before to add to my to-read list for the future. Fun, fun, fun.
Csw
Good stories. A pleasant diversion.
April
I enjoyed this edited (Rosemary Edgehill) collection of short stories, divided into 5 sections: Murder Most Modern, Murder Unclassifiable, Murder Most Genteel, Murder Fantastical, and Murder Most Historical. Particular faves were Laura Resnik's hilarious Dopelgangster, first-timer Will Graham's Mixed Marriages Can Be Murder, Diane Duane's Cold Case, Laura Anne Gilman's Overrush, Sharon Lee & Steve Miller's A Night at the Opera, James D. McDonald's A Tremble in the Air, Lawrence Watt-Evans' D ...more
Rebekah D.
Mostly fantasy combined with either cozy or amateur detective mystery, with a couple of grittier and sadder procedurals (which were naturally my favorites. Overall, a good read. The only real complaint I have is that the last story contained no murder. It wasn't really even a mystery. It was an enjoyable read, but I have no idea what it was doing in this particular anthology.
Natalie
Short stories are often like a sample pack of tasty looking food. This book had a favorable good to not so good ratio. I particularly enjoyed "Murder Entailed" by Susan Krinard, "Getting the Chair" by Keith R.A. deCandidi, "Au Purr" by Esther Friesner, and "Grey Eminence" by Mercedes Lackey. I recommend this sample pack to anyone who likes Mystery and Fantasy.
Joe
So many good stories. So many good writers.
Murder and Magic what a good combo.

A few writers I know.
[Keith R.A. DiCandido, Laura Anne Gilman, Lawrence Watt-Evans, Josepha Sherman, Diane Duane, Debra Doyle and Sharon Lee & Steve Miller]

A few that are new for me.

This is good work and great fun.
I’ll have to read them all in their own books.
Sue
some of my favorite authors contributed to this book, so i had to read it. i was def not disappointed! and now i have some new authors to look up and read... (:
Susan
finished. 1/31/12. my rating. 4. Roberta gellis, Sharon lee & Steve miller, Susan krinard, Mercedes lackey, Laura resnick
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Skr
Skr added it
May 17, 2015
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Doug Clark
Doug Clark is currently reading it
May 10, 2015
Jimmy
Jimmy marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Kathy Veatch
Kathy Veatch marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Helen
Helen marked it as to-read
Mertzongirl
Mertzongirl marked it as to-read
Fazella Rahman
Fazella Rahman marked it as to-read
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
  • Powers of Detection: Stories of Mystery & Fantasy
  • Those Who Fight Monsters: Tales of Occult Detectives
  • Assassin Fantastic
  • Did You Say Chicks?! (Chicks in Chainmail, #2)
  • Misspelled
  • Sword and Sorceress XVI
  • Fast Ships, Black Sails
  • Highwaymen: Robbers and Rogues
  • Dark Detectives: An Anthology of Supernatural Mysteries
  • Enchantment Place
  • Treachery and Treason
  • Dead Man's Hand (anthology)
Rosemary Edghill is a pen-name of Eluki Bes Shahar.

She was born long enough ago to have seen Classic Trek on its first outing and to remember that she once thought Spock Must Die! to be great literature. As she aged, she put aside her fond dreams of taking over for Batman when he retired, and returned to her first love, writing. Her first SF sale (as eluki bes shahar) was the Hellflower series, i
More about Rosemary Edghill...

Retrievers (7 books)
  • Staying Dead (Retrievers, #1)
  • Curse the Dark (Retrievers, #2)
  • Bring It On (Retrievers, #3)
  • Overrush
  • Burning Bridges (Retrievers, #4)
  • Free Fall (Retrievers, #5)
  • Blood from Stone (Retrievers, #6)
The Warslayer: The Incredibly True Adventures of Vixen the Slayer, the Beginning Bell, Book, and Murder: The Bast Mysteries The Sword of Maiden's Tears (Twelve Treasures, #1) Speak Daggers to Her (Bast Mystery, #1) The Cup of Morning Shadows (Twelve Treasures, #2)